[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Covid 19 variants  (Read 20286 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Covid 19 variants
« on: April 03, 2021, 07:42:03 AM »
Guess it's time to make a thread dedicated to this.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Covid 19 variants
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 09:51:40 AM »
CDC's current list of 'variants of concern' ((1) increased transmissibility, (2) increased severity and hospitalizations, and/or (3) resistance to antibody/plasma treatments):

* B.1.1.7 (UK)
* P.1 (Brazil)
* B.1.351 (South Africa)
* B.1.427 (US/California)
* B.1.429 (US/California)

Currently, there are no 'variants of high consequence' (which, most notably, might include a significant reduction in vaccine effectiveness).

One of the primary goals of continued masking protocols even after vaccination of high-risk people is the prevention of the development of these latter variants. If a variant of high consequence develops and begins to spread, all bets are off. That is why breakouts among school kids or college students are a big deal.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/variant-surveillance/variant-info.html#Concern

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 09:57:45 AM by GooooMarquette »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 10:57:16 AM »
What P.1 is doing in Brazil is so incredibly sad and scary.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 12:39:39 PM »
What P.1 is doing in Brazil is so incredibly sad and scary.

Agreed. Just devastating. And P.1.1.7 is ravaging France, Poland and several other European countries.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 01:15:57 PM »

Agreed. Just devastating. And P.1.1.7 is ravaging France, Poland and several other European countries.

I keep hearing Poland updates from my in-laws and it's a mess.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 07:52:11 AM »
India double mutant variation now found in California.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 01:08:30 PM »
Interesting article showing how the states with the highest proportion of the B.1.1.7 variant are seeing the largest increases in cases. Michigan leads the pack, but B.1.1.7-fueled increases are beginning in Minnesota, Florida and several other states.

Also some info on regional variants across the US, like the B.1.526 variant (first seen in NY) fueling cases in the northeast, and the B.1.427/B.1.428 variant (first seen in CA) spreading to AZ.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/06/us/variants-cases-spread.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 03:02:32 PM »
What’s the norm (is there one?) for variant reporting?? My test results just say positive for SARS-CoV-2, but there is no variant info.

Minnesota is using Vault Health to test... does the lab they use determine variants & tell the state? Is that a diff process they use to determine variants, and do they only do it on positives?

I’m just curious which flavor I have
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 03:12:43 PM »
What’s the norm (is there one?) for variant reporting?? My test results just say positive for SARS-CoV-2, but there is no variant info.

Minnesota is using Vault Health to test... does the lab they use determine variants & tell the state? Is that a diff process they use to determine variants, and do they only do it on positives?

Xenophobe.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 04:16:49 PM »

Genetic sequencing is not performed on every sample, and the location of the sequencing is a hodgepodge of state, local and private labs. As a result, I am not sure it is possible to know which flavor you have.

At this point, I think CDC has its hands full with tracking big–picture trends, so I would be surprised if we see any meaningful coordination that leads to individual reporting of variants.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00564-4

Part of the challenge is the decentralized nature of US coronavirus sequencing and surveillance efforts. “Right now it’s individual labs or states or cities doing their part,” says David Ho, a virologist at Columbia University in New York City, whose team last week identified a variant in the city with a mutation that could compromise immune responses. As a result of this piecemeal effort, states such as New York, California and Washington have contributed thousands of sequences each, while others such as Iowa, Tennessee and New Hampshire have obtained sequences from far fewer of their COVID cases.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 04:50:08 PM »
Which is why we must vaccinate.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 05:06:29 PM »
Which is why we must vaccinate.

Pace is too slow globally.  US putting money before lives... like always.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 02:58:30 PM »

How are you feeling?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 02:59:16 PM »
Pace is too slow globally.  US putting money before lives... like always.

Not sure that's fair.

Put on your own oxygen mask before you help others.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 03:16:38 PM »
Not sure that's fair.

Put on your own oxygen mask before you help others.
It's absolutely fair

We could waive the patents on the vaccines TODAY and let the rest of the world make analogues to the current vaccines, but you know... money.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 03:21:17 PM »
The conundrum.... and I am no fan of big Pharma.      Developing these vaccines this fast was a vast and expensive undertaking.    Yes, the governments are paying them big bucks to make sure that Americans can get these vaccines for free.    Even if some are too stupid to get them.     I get the whole 'good of humanity' thing.   I do.   I am a big bleeding heart.    But I also get big Pharma not wanting to just give away the intellectual property that they spent billions to develop.   
    I think giving the intellectual property away for the good of humanity is the moral and ethical thing to do.    I just don't know that the government can or should compel it.   

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 03:45:06 PM »
The conundrum.... and I am no fan of big Pharma.      Developing these vaccines this fast was a vast and expensive undertaking.    Yes, the governments are paying them big bucks to make sure that Americans can get these vaccines for free.    Even if some are too stupid to get them.     I get the whole 'good of humanity' thing.   I do.   I am a big bleeding heart.    But I also get big Pharma not wanting to just give away the intellectual property that they spent billions to develop.   
    I think giving the intellectual property away for the good of humanity is the moral and ethical thing to do.    I just don't know that the government can or should compel it.

Money over people.  Thank god for men like Sir Alexander Fleming.

Big pharma has plenty of money, they can pound sand.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 05:41:57 PM »

US taxpayers already footed the bill for the development of mRNA tech. And then also paid pharma to make/distribute vaccine in the US.

Pharma has made enough. US citizens have given enough. Let's do the right thing now.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2021, 08:58:20 AM »
US taxpayers already footed the bill for the development of mRNA tech. And then also paid pharma to make/distribute vaccine in the US.

Pharma has made enough. US citizens have given enough. Let's do the right thing now.

mRNA tech has been under development for a decade. All the government did was foot the bill to tailor it to COVID. Which was incredibly important. But you are completely mischaracterizing how this technology was developed.

I am fine with the government regulating pricing (which they already are) for COVID vaccines and paying to ensure everyone gets one free of charge.

Removing IP protections would be unprecedented. The government has also sponsored research from everything to microchips, the internet, and satellite technology. We haven't removed IP protections for any of that. It isn't about "money over people." It is about ensuring we remain the most innovative country in the world.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 09:02:12 AM by Coleman »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 09:11:13 AM »
mRNA tech has been under development for a decade. All the government did was foot the bill to tailor it to COVID. Which was incredibly important. But you are completely mischaracterizing how this technology was developed.

I am fine with the government regulating pricing (which they already are) for COVID vaccines and paying to ensure everyone gets one free of charge.

Removing IP protections would be unprecedented. The government has also sponsored research from everything to microchips, the internet, and satellite technology. We haven't removed IP protections for any of that. It isn't about "money over people." It is about ensuring we remain the most innovative country in the world.

apples to oranges, my friend.  One saves lives, the other simply makes our lives more convenient.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2021, 10:27:47 AM »
apples to oranges, my friend.  One saves lives, the other simply makes our lives more convenient.

Can't change the rules in the middle of the game.

If IP protections were going to be removed, should have told the pharma companies that was a condition of getting government $$$.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:35:12 AM by Coleman »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2021, 10:31:52 AM »
https://play.acast.com/s/f5b64019-68c3-57d4-b70b-043e63e5cbf6/b6a35c8f-f6fb-4f0e-8973-6bab8e608ab7

Big Pharma monopoly? LOL

Moderna has 1300 employees and revenue of $800 million. BioNTech is about the same. Novovax....less than 800 employees and revenue under $500 million.

This is the opposite of Big Pharma. These are small, innovative companies whose existence relies on IP protections. Sure, Pfizer and J&J are big pharma, but the number of players here puts the monopoly thing to rest pretty quickly.

The fact that we are even considering punishing pharmaceutical companies by ripping away IP protections after they pretty much single handidly saved our country from hundreds of thousands more deaths and our economy from a depression is insane.

Our country is reopening because the current system works. There are the right incentives in place for innovation.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:38:07 AM by Coleman »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2021, 11:23:21 AM »
Big Pharma monopoly? LOL

Moderna has 1300 employees and revenue of $800 million. BioNTech is about the same. Novovax....less than 800 employees and revenue under $500 million.

This is the opposite of Big Pharma. These are small, innovative companies whose existence relies on IP protections. Sure, Pfizer and J&J are big pharma, but the number of players here puts the monopoly thing to rest pretty quickly.

The fact that we are even considering punishing pharmaceutical companies by ripping away IP protections after they pretty much single handidly saved our country from hundreds of thousands more deaths and our economy from a depression is insane.

Our country is reopening because the current system works. There are the right incentives in place for innovation.

Stop making these companies out to be the good guys.  If were operating in normal market conditions, of course they should be due compensation.  But that isn't what this situation is.  Pfizer and Moderna are each slated to make over $18-24 billion dollars this year, each!

And the mRNA technology research has been funded by American taxpayers via the NIH, and then we preordered millions of doses from them.  What a deal!  Talk about government subsidized success!  Next up, they get to gouge the very people who paid for the R&D, production, and absolute success of their company with booster shots that will make them billions.  Publicly funded risk, private reward.  Truly the American dream.

I know you're a smart dude, but I doubt you listened to the program.  Everything you're talking about was covered.

feedback