[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka’s Coaching Staff  (Read 55427 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Shaka’s Coaching Staff
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2021, 11:20:23 AM »
Shaka's first coaching staff call should be to one Mike Deane. Big Mike would bring value for both in-game and post-game action.

Female lawyer butt cheek, anyone?

Mike Deane-level talent doesn't just grow on trees.

Death on call

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2021, 11:24:46 AM »
Shaka's first coaching staff call should be to one Mike Deane. Big Mike would bring value for both in-game and post-game action.

Female lawyer butt cheek, anyone?

Mike Deane-level talent doesn't just grow on trees.

Actually...it might.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2021, 11:48:32 AM »
Would Jerry Wainwright put down his smoldering Camel to take a call?

The man who once before held the ship together would be a natural to help a young coach steer through the jagged shoals of the Floor Slapper's Fiasco.

Coach Jerry also brings the added value of knowing how and, more importantly, when to flush.   

Death on call

blue and gold

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2021, 03:02:53 PM »
If there are any assistants retained from Wojo it will be because Shaka wants them - not because he would be "saddled" with them.

Why would Shaka want to retain assistant coaches from a failed coaching regime?

Wouldn't he want to build the program with his own assistant coaches that he selected?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 03:31:35 PM by blue and gold »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2021, 03:41:44 PM »
Why would Shaka want to retain assistant coaches from a failed coaching regime?

Wouldn't he want to build the program with his own assistant coaches that he selected?

You seem to think "retain assistant coaches" and "coaches that he selected" are mutually exclusive. What if he selects one of the existing guys because he thinks he's right for the role?

blue and gold

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2021, 04:04:55 PM »

You seem to think "retain assistant coaches" and "coaches that he selected" are mutually exclusive. What if he selects one of the existing guys because he thinks he's right for the role?

Of course these aren't mutually exclusive.

I find it curious why assistant coaches from the worst era of Marquette basketball since Dukiet would be retained.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 04:08:15 PM by blue and gold »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2021, 04:22:23 PM »

I find it curious why assistant coaches from the worst era of Marquette basketball since Dukiet would be retained.
Recruiting and / or relationship with current players he wants to keep amongst other considerations are possible.
Goal is National Championship

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2021, 05:07:43 PM »

Just because a head coach stinks doesn’t automatically mean the assistant does. Nick Nurse replaced Dwayne Casey after he got fired and has done well.

Gainey may be a very good assistant with a bad head coach. Or he may not be a good assistant and won’t be retained.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2021, 05:08:42 PM »

For all we know MU had/has great assistant coaches whose talents were hidden/blocked by Wojo's seeming inability to listen to anyone.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2021, 07:38:56 AM »
I don’t know who will end up on
the new staff ...

But, Wojos assistants could not have been that bad, as they are 3 for 3 in getting head coaching gigs in last few years...

Maybe it was other factors

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2021, 11:20:58 AM »
If Shaka has a hair on his ass he will reach out to Jimmy Boylan.

Not only does he have a seat in The Pantheon of Marquette Legends but he tended bar at Lenny's. Frankly, I can think of no finer qualification to help steward our beloved Warriors back to greatness.

Death on call

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2021, 11:28:15 AM »
the new staff ...

But, Wojos assistants could not have been that bad, as they are 3 for 3 in getting head coaching gigs in last few years...

Hard to judge assistants as the tone is set by the head coach.  As you say, 3 years in a row MU assistants have gotten HC gigs in mid-major settings.  Kind of wonder if Shaka will keep Justin Gainey?  AZ thought highly enough of him to hire as an assistant.  Who knows.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2021, 12:31:17 PM »

Not only does he have a seat in The Pantheon of Marquette Legends but he tended bar at Lenny's. Frankly, I can think of no finer qualification to help steward our beloved Warriors back to greatness.
Great point about Boylan. Here is a fun thought for the day: Imagine MU if Boylan was a bench assistant during Markus tenure.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2021, 12:58:37 PM »
the new staff ...

The problem was the assistants. Well...at least if Wojo had gone a different direction with his assistants, he would still be here. Yes, he sent three to HC jobs, but the only one that really fully developed into that here was Brett Nelson. Stan got over the hump here, but had 12 years of coaching and had been at multiple high-majors before coming to Marquette. Killings came in with 15 years of experience in the NBA and at a damn-near high-major in UConn.

In recent years, though, Wojo changed his focus with assistants. Phelps had HC experience on that first staff but no one else has brought that since. Wojo brought in top-notch recruiters in Stan and Killings, both on the verge of HC jobs, and probably had his best staff in 2018 when he had Nelson, Stan, and Killings on staff. But after that, he replaced Brett with Presutti, who brought little outside experience. Similarly, Gainey came back after working at some decent programs, but had spent time under Wojo and likely wasn't a voice to challenge the head coach. When Killings left, the impression I get is that Wojo had two loyalists who were going to reinforce his beliefs rather than challenging them.

He was given the option to make changes, which likely would've required at least one outside hire with experience and possibly replacing one of his current staff, similar to what Chris Mack did at Louisville. He instead indicated he was going to stick with his guys and his ways, and thus he is unemployed.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2021, 07:10:27 PM »

I think you need to retire. Your comments are ridiculous.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2021, 07:26:09 PM »
I think you need to retire. Your comments are ridiculous.

If you take him completely literally and seriously enough to get to that conclusion, that’s on you.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2021, 07:57:29 PM »
I'm not buying the "if you don't fire your assistants you're out" excuse...I can't say how this goes down in D1 basketball, but I would have to guess the moment MU put out feelers to Shaka and he showed interest...MU told Wojo he wasn't coming back and they pounced on Shaka.  As an organization you don't brag about that...but I've certainly done similar for much smaller stakes.  You help the departed leave with the best rationale possible.

My second guess would be the pressure became too much to retain Wojo so they sat down and came up with that excuse and later lucked into Shaka.

Here's what isn't making sense to me...MU owes Wojo some big $.  He just refused a direct request from his superior (I will not fire my assitants)...and he walks with a buyout?  Do they have a clause in their contract that says the hiring and firing of staff is solely their duty? 

Does MU put that on him as a way to negotiate a lower buyout?  I have a rolling 2-year contract.  If I refused a direct order from my board I would be fired and not paid out a dime.  I also wouldn't refuse to fire one guy if it meant I could save the others...but I supose Wojo is capable of that.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2021, 08:05:12 PM »
I'm not buying the "if you don't fire your assistants you're out" excuse...I can't say how this goes down in D1 basketball, but I would have to guess the moment MU put out feelers to Shaka and he showed interest...MU told Wojo he wasn't coming back and they pounced on Shaka.  As an organization you don't brag about that...but I've certainly done similar for much smaller stakes.  You help the departed leave with the best rationale possible.

My second guess would be the pressure became too much to retain Wojo so they sat down and came up with that excuse and later lucked into Shaka.

Here's what isn't making sense to me...MU owes Wojo some big $.  He just refused a direct request from his superior (I will not fire my assitants)...and he walks with a buyout?  Do they have a clause in their contract that says the hiring and firing of staff is solely their duty? 

Does MU put that on him as a way to negotiate a lower buyout?  I have a rolling 2-year contract.  If I refused a direct order from my board I would be fired and not paid out a dime.  I also wouldn't refuse to fire one guy if it meant I could save the others...but I supose Wojo is capable of that.

My guess is that the contract gives the head coach the right to pick his assistants.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2021, 09:18:06 PM »

My guess is that the contract gives the head coach the right to pick his assistants.

Bad guess. That is generally not the case at all. In fact, you'll see paragraph(s) regarding hiring authority that makes it clear that not only does the head coach have no hiring authority, but that even slightly hinting or representing that they may to a potential assistant coach is a serious breach of contract. The hiring authority for assistants lies with the athletic director. Obviously, as an AD you'd like your head coach to be able to 'pick' candidates... but there is no 'right' and even hinting by a head coach that they get to make the call is a big no no.

Some programs had major, major issues with this matter years ago... over the past couple of decades, they've been much tighter in the contractual language. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2021, 09:49:09 PM »
Bad guess. That is generally not the case at all. In fact, you'll see paragraph(s) regarding hiring authority that makes it clear that not only does the head coach have no hiring authority, but that even slightly hinting or representing that they may to a potential assistant coach is a serious breach of contract. The hiring authority for assistants lies with the athletic director. Obviously, as an AD you'd like your head coach to be able to 'pick' candidates... but there is no 'right' and even hinting by a head coach that they get to make the call is a big no no.

Some programs had major, major issues with this matter years ago... over the past couple of decades, they've been much tighter in the contractual language.

welcome back (nab2m) ((no attraction between 2 males))

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2021, 10:04:27 PM »
welcome back (nab2m) ((no attraction between 2 males))
new homophobic acronyms......COOL!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2021, 10:06:42 PM »
new homophobic acronyms......COOL!

wee-ooh, wee-ooh, wee-ooh.  PC police responding to a call.

Get over yourself, it was a joke.  Besides, I know BeeJ, I'm not attracted to him at all.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2021, 10:11:57 PM »
wee-ooh, wee-ooh, wee-ooh.  PC police responding to a call.

Get over yourself, it was a joke.  Besides, I know BeeJ, I'm not attracted to him at all.
Yep....COOL!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2021, 10:19:15 PM »
I'm sure in a technical sense, it's the AD that has to extend the contract offer, etc. An assistant is employed by the athletic department/university, not the head coach. So it makes sense that the contractual hiring authority lies with the AD.
That said, I very much doubt Nick Saban needs Greg Byrne to sign off in any substantive way on his staff choices, or he risked being deemed out of line by the University of Alabama when picked Bill O'Brien for the OC job.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2021, 10:24:01 PM »
I'm sure in a technical sense, it's the AD that has to extend the contract offer, etc. An assistant is employed by the athletic department/university, not the head coach. So it makes sense that the contractual hiring authority lies with the AD.
That said, I very much doubt Nick Saban needs Greg Byrne to sign off in any substantive way on his staff choices, or he risked being deemed out of line by the University of Alabama when picked Bill O'Brien for the OC job.

That’s right. But the original comment was, “My guess is that the contract gives the head coach the right to pick his assistants”

Contract... technical...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.