[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another day ... / mass shooting  (Read 34021 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Another day ...
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2021, 01:11:40 PM »
Classic "No way to prevent this, says only nation where this regularly occurs" moment. The Onion has gotten ALOT of milage out of that doozy.

They repeated the mantra today.
Isn't any clearer than that.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2021, 01:14:39 PM »
Another dollar.

There, saved you all some time.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 02:27:46 PM »
We're already using them. See Charlottesville. So I'm not quite sure what your broader point is there? It's also not the easiest thing to take out dozens of people in a theater or school with a truck. Luckily we also have a lot of those anti terrorism concrete pillars around populated areas from the first World Trade Center bombing.

I mean we can sit here and figure out way after way that person could kill someone, "What if they just got really strong and learned MMA?!" But at the end of the day I'd personally prefer one less way that doesn't give people a fighting chance at survival.

For the record I'm not advocating we ban guns, I think a buyback program could be good for a lot of them so they aren't sold second hand to idiots as well as think high capacity magazines can be taken down. Some other restrictions as well but not an outright ban.

They did that in Trenton a few years ago only to find that those who got money for their old revolvers just bought a newer fancier gun with a clip.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2021, 02:39:35 PM »
batting 1.000 with me today Ziggy! The MSM will bury this because of his skin color - happens all the time. Though, unlike mass shootings, I think this is the real threat to our way of life and we should fight to make sure this story i.e. non white, non Trump supporters getting a pass by the MSM because of political correctness never dies down.

It's on every news channel and in every newspaper - so yes it has disappeared. Anyone using the term MSM is not qualified to comment on this. Your terrain is the talking point of the day from Fox.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2021, 02:50:56 PM »
It's on every news channel and in every newspaper - so yes it has disappeared. Anyone using the term MSM is not qualified to comment on this. Your terrain is the talking point of the day from Fox.

You are so thick in the head.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 02:51:46 PM »
I'm mocking Ziggy by aggressively agreeing with him.

What I really believe related guns/gun violence is:
Every gun should be registered
Background checks and waiting periods should be implemented for every gun sale
Ammo should be taxed to the next planet and back
Penalties for having an unregistered gun should be extreme
Police and military spending should be used to fund extensive mental health and anti domestic terrorism efforts
Certain types of guns should be illegal

The RATM avatar doesn't count for anything anymore?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2021, 02:53:26 PM »

Police and military spending should be used to fund extensive mental health and anti domestic terrorism efforts

Not since Paul Ryan said they were his favorite band 😂
Maigh Eo for Sam

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2021, 02:56:56 PM »

That's racist.  What happens when an inordinate percent of the people caught with unregistered guns are minorities?  That's not fair!  It discriminates against poor people who can't afford to pay high taxes on ammo.   What about poor people who can't afford to have an ID--can they legally get a gun?  Blah blah blah

IBTL
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2021, 03:10:32 PM »

You have to use the daily MSNBC talking points to get through to jockey.  He ain't the sharpest tack in the solar system.

Bet it felt good agreeing with me, aina?   ;D

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2021, 03:15:21 PM »
Wel, this is going well.

I know a few people that frequent that particular store.   Some that just pop in occasionally because they're driving by (I fall in that category).  Fortunate that nobody I know happened to get killed yesterday, but sad day all around.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2021, 03:56:31 PM »
You have to use the daily MSNBC talking points to get through to jockey.  He ain't the sharpest tack in the solar system.

Bet it felt good agreeing with me, aina?   ;D
I was wondering what that spring in my step was from

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2021, 04:00:52 PM »
I was wondering what that spring in my step was from

My life is like a musical, just spontaneous shortness all the time.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2021, 04:50:39 PM »
It was a great day for NRA fundraising
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2021, 04:54:33 PM »
My life is like a musical, just spontaneous shortness all the time.
either I'm reading this wrong, 'musical' is a euphemism for something I'm not aware of, it's a typo, or I need to pay more attention when going to Broadway shows (touring crew here in KC  >:()

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2021, 06:06:25 PM »
either I'm reading this wrong, 'musical' is a euphemism for something I'm not aware of, it's a typo, or I need to pay more attention when going to Broadway shows (touring crew here in KC  >:()

Meant show tunes.  Lol.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2021, 06:29:35 PM »

Agree with all of this -- and the vast majority of Americans agree with most of it. "Every gun should be registered" has 90%+ support, but even closing the gun show loophole seemingly is a non-starter for hundreds of our legislative leaders.

Or we can just say, "Nah. Nothing will work. It's hopeless." Because totally ignoring this situation has worked wonders.

Ted Cruz today: “Every time there’s a shooting, we play this ridiculous theater where this committee gets together and proposes a bunch of laws that would do nothing to stop these murders. If you want to stop these murders, go after the murderers."

What does that last sentence even mean? Hire a psychic to tell us who the murderers will be in advance so we can go after them before they plan these murders? Is that the way we would have "stopped" this guy, the guy who killed all the Asians last week, Dylann Roof, the Las Vegas guy, etc?

Apparently, Caribbean Cruz needs another vacation "for his daughters."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2021, 07:27:16 PM »
Wel, this is going well.

I know a few people that frequent that particular store.   Some that just pop in occasionally because they're driving by (I fall in that category).  Fortunate that nobody I know happened to get killed yesterday, but sad day all around.
That close to your home/routine has to hit hard. Sucks!
Meant show tunes.  Lol.
Much better/borderline admirable - the opposite of the original self own.
Agree with all of this -- and the vast majority of Americans agree with most of it. "Every gun should be registered" has 90%+ support, ........

And like most Americans my list wasn't that long 5 years ago, won't be that short in 2 years, and if nothing has changed in 5 years I can easily see myself in the "you know what? screw it, take all the guns" camp.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2021, 07:27:33 PM »
That's Cancun Cruz.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2021, 07:45:23 PM »
Left: Let's try to address this with universal background checks and assault weapon bans.

Right: No. But we will offer thoughts and prayers.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2021, 05:56:12 AM »
....another criminal that wouldn't follow any laws against guns or murder no matter how strong they are.
You sound angry.

Need a hug?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2021, 07:15:19 AM »
You sound angry.

Need a hug?

Keg and eggs on a Wednesday?  Strong move.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2021, 08:18:12 AM »
The vast, vast, vast, majority of death from gun violence in America are from guns bought illegally.  And by the way. they happen every weekend in our major cities and primarily from handguns.  So, while everyone is rightly horrified about mass shootings and what happened in Boulder, why is there 1000 times the passion for changing gun laws after these horrible incidents and basically minimal interest/passion for the average weekend on the South Side of Chicago?

The question is what laws can be calibrated to stop gun deaths across the board?   Are you for a blanket gun ban?   Should hand guns be banned?  Why do I never hear a single peep from politicians about changing our gun laws after a 6 yr old kid is shot in her bedroom doing her homework in Chicago?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 09:04:03 AM by MuggsyB »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2021, 08:31:30 AM »
The vast, vast, vast, majority of death from gun violence in America are from guns bought illegally.  And by the way. they happen every weekend in out major cities and primarily from handguns.  So, while everyone is rightly horrified about mass shootings and what happened in Boulder, why is there 1000 times the passion for changing gun laws after these horrible incidents and basically minimal interest/passion for the average weekend on the South Side of Chicago?

The question is what laws can be calibrated to stop gun deaths across the board?   Are you for a blanket gun ban?   Should hand guns be banned?  Why do I never hear a single peep from politicians about changing our gun laws after a 6 yr old kid is shot in her bedroom doing her homework in Chicago?

People have long held a "just let them kill each other" mindset toward gang violence in cities (source: Uncle was a Captain in CPD & FBI consultant). So it's shouldn't be surprising to you that those don't get as much publicity.

The issue is different for every group. For the dumb rural people who kill each other and say "I thought it wasn't loaded" or get drunk and kill each other. A ban would probably be best. For inner city gang violence, job opportunities, after school opportunities and education are probably your best bets. For these mass shootings by disturbed people (this one, aurora CO, sandyhook, parkside, Columbine) the perpetrator clearly wasn't mentally healthy. Mental health services and background checks would probably be beneficial there.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2021, 08:56:53 AM »
People have long held a "just let them kill each other" mindset toward gang violence in cities (source: Uncle was a Captain in CPD & FBI consultant). So it's shouldn't be surprising to you that those don't get as much publicity.

The issue is different for every group. For the dumb rural people who kill each other and say "I thought it wasn't loaded" or get drunk and kill each other. A ban would probably be best. For inner city gang violence, job opportunities, after school opportunities and education are probably your best bets. For these mass shootings by disturbed people (this one, aurora CO, sandyhook, parkside, Columbine) the perpetrator clearly wasn't mentally healthy. Mental health services and background checks would probably be beneficial there.

Would certain laws, background checks, etc prevented some of these mass shootings?  I think each situation is different but for example the Las Vegss rooftop murderer?  Other than a blanket gun ban how exactly could that have been prevented?

Legally and culturally we cannot have a blanket gun ban.  People since the Obama administration have been buying guns and ammo like toothpaste so perhaps taxing is a good idea.  But there is a 0.0 % chance, nor is anyone proposing a gun ban.  Because history is replete with example after example after example of governments going tyrannical or usurpatious we absolutely must have the right to bear arms..  Not to mention the fact that I'm not going to tell a single mother in the middle of nowhere or in violent parts of our cities that she can't legally protect herself and her family.

I think no matter where you stand on this politically most people agree that getting rid of guns isn't happening nor can it happen.  So again, what laws can be calibrated to quell as much gun violence as possible?   And why is anyone more troubled by a mass shooting or a specific weapon than a hand gun which accounts for 100 times or more as many deaths?  Is it 1000?  I would have to look at the stats. 

I

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 09:05:30 AM by MuggsyB »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2021, 09:14:35 AM »

Would certain laws, background checks, etc prevented some of these mass shootings?  I think each situation is different but for example the Las Vegss rooftop murderer?  Other than a blanket gun ban how exactly could that have been prevented?

Legally and culturally we cannot have a blanket gun ban.  People since the Obama administration have been buying guns and ammo like toothpaste so perhaps taxing is a good idea.  But there is a 0.0 % chance, nor is anyone proposing a gun ban.  Because history is replete with example after example after example of governments going tyrannical or usurpatious we absolutely must have the right to bear arms..  Not to mention the fact that I'm not going to tell a single mother in the middle of nowhere or in violent parts of our cities that she can't legally protect herself and her family.

I think no matter where you stand on this politically most people agree that getting rid of guns isn't happening nor can it happen.  So again, what laws can be calibrated to quell as much gun violence as possible?   And why is anyone more troubled by a mass shooting or a specific weapon than a hand gun which accounts for 100 times or more as many deaths?  Is it 1000?  I would have to look at the stats. 

I

Well let me be clear that I'm not for an overall gun ban. I want to get that hurdle out of the way.

Next, I believe it's about calculated risk. If a pistol is the gun of choice for inner city violence the vast majority of America isn't effected by that so it doesn't pose a risk to people who aren't a part of that. Whereas we all go to theaters, go to a grocery store, have gone to school, have attended a concert. See how it's more relatable? Then you add in the just mental stats of "with this gun were all dead with that gun we aren't" and the choice becomes obvious.

the protection thing I'm not going to get into because you're right. Sure stats overwhelmingly show that having a gun is more dangerous than not but stats don't matter to the individual and if it worked for someone more power to them. 

Regarding your first paragraph, it seems to be a response that expects any solution to fix literally every issue. Unfortunately laws are always going to be patch fixes and sort of like banning high capacity magazines so that a shooting is 5 people instead of 50, it's about minimizing casualties and risk.
Maigh Eo for Sam