Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What attributes do you want in a new coach?  (Read 5762 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
What attributes do you want in a new coach?
« on: March 19, 2021, 06:17:56 PM »
Instead of candidates, what attributes do you want a coach to have?

Here is my list:

**Understanding of current analytics related to how the game is played.  Emphasis on shooting, lack of turnovers, etc.
**Play with pace.
**Recruit nationwide but need to win back the local recruiting scene.

I would love Nate Oats.  Absolutely love the way his teams play.  But that's not realistic.  Give me someone LIKE Oats.  I don't know who that is though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: What attributes do you want in a new coach?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 06:20:44 PM »
I liked what Scholl said about having a clear philosophy on both sides of the ball and recruiting players to fit that philosophy and “not just chasing every 5 star.” So, I will go with that one. It felt likes Wojo’s teams always lacked an identity.

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 06:27:10 PM »
I liked what Scholl said about having a clear philosophy on both sides of the ball and recruiting players to fit that philosophy and “not just chasing every 5 star.” So, I will go with that one. It felt likes Wojo’s teams always lacked an identity.

Great one.  Exactly.  This IMO is a problem that Wojo had. 

Glad that's what Scholl said.  I am optimistic he will conduct a thorough search.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 06:27:29 PM »
Head coaching experience
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 06:28:19 PM »
Agree with both of you - analytics and having a system/philosophy as well as recruiting to that rather than BPA

I would also add a coach who has demonstrated an ability to consistently make a team perform greater than the sum of its parts.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 06:28:54 PM »
Instead of candidates, what attributes do you want a coach to have?

Here is my list:

**Understanding of current analytics related to how the game is played.  Emphasis on shooting, lack of turnovers, etc.
**Play with pace.
**Recruit nationwide but need to win back the local recruiting scene.

I would love Nate Oats.  Absolutely love the way his teams play.  But that's not realistic.  Give me someone LIKE Oats.  I don't know who that is though.

I’m big on that as well. Watching Bama, Gonzaga, Arkansas, Illinois, and Baylor on offense this year has been great.

That’s honestly my biggest concern about Moser. He’s a great coach, but Loyola has been outside of the bottom 10% in the country in pace once in his tenure. And I think they were #295 that year.

Same issue with Ritchie McKay at Liberty.

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 06:30:10 PM »
Agree with everything mentioned so far.

1.  Clear identity on both sides of the ball.  A coach who knows what systems he wants to run and recruits and develops players specifically for it.  But also has the ability to make slight adjustments in game when needed.
2.  More local recruiting.  Im not saying the entire roster needs to be local, but start there.  I need to find the article again, but i recently read the likelihood of a kid transferring out is also significantly reduced if they are from in state or a border state.  So for us, get after it in wi, ill, mn.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 06:32:16 PM »
I want a guy with prior head coaching experience who’s proven he can build a winner at his own program.  If he’s a mid-major coach, I’d like for him to have at least two NCAA appearances and have been his conference’s COY at least once.  Ideally, he’ll have a diverse resume where he’s coached at the head or assistant level at a few different schools.

And if he’s charismatic and gives good interviews, that’d be one hell of a change of pace.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 06:34:18 PM »
Head coaching experience

This ... when was the last time MU made a "lateral" hire?

* Either MU hired a promoted assistant (Hank, Majerus, O'Neill, Crean, Buzz, Wojo)
* Or a MU hired a promoted "mid-major" head coach (Al, Dukiet, Deane).

Time for a high-major coach that has things on his resume that we want now (like high major Championships, Multiple S16 appearances, and maybe a FF)

That high major coach with a resume can be someone that is currently not coaching, LIKE Beilein, Madda, Lavin, etc.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 06:35:08 PM »
Getting a young up and coming assistant has worked 2/3 times for us in the past 20 years.  If you can locate that next big thing just before he pops would be great.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 06:35:25 PM »
Lavin?  He was awful at SJU. 

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 06:35:46 PM »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 06:36:06 PM »
No Duke ties would be a good start

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 06:36:24 PM »

That high major coach with a resume can be someone that is currently not coaching, LIKE Beilein, Madda, Lavin, etc.

RESUME NO MADDA

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 06:37:05 PM »
Not UCLA

So we should overlook the terrible job he did just a few years ago and focus on the job he was fired from 18 years ago?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2021, 06:38:08 PM »
I don't really care about the coach knowing analytics, but I want him/her to appreciate analytics and know to hire an analytics person if he/she needs to.

I think Marquette fans mostly desire a charismatic person.  And I can get on board with that.  Someone that can relate to players/recruits too though, not just us old dudes.

But also has to be a good manager, and have self awareness of his/her strengths and weaknesses.  If this person is great at offense or defense, great.  If they knows nothing about hoops, but surround themselves with people that can help, also great.

Now that I've said all that.  I'm definitely against someone too into analytics themselves.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 06:42:04 PM »
Very unsophisticated rocky.  What if our new coaches pronoun is “they” and is drag?  I expected more sympathy and understanding from you.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2021, 06:43:20 PM »
I really feel like Marquette had established a national brand of basketball (toughness, hustle, defense, etc.) and Wojo completely changed our brand. I want the next coach to understand the Warrior brand of basketball and bring it back. I want teams to know that while they might be more talented they’re going to earn everything they get against us.
No Finish Line

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2021, 06:44:44 PM »
Very unsophisticated rocky.  What if our new coaches pronoun is “they” and is drag?  I expected more sympathy and understanding from you.

If they/them can win a National Championship at Marquette, I'll take them!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2021, 06:46:00 PM »
I really feel like Marquette had established a national brand of basketball (toughness, hustle, defense, etc.) and Wojo completely changed our brand. I want the next coach to understand the Warrior brand of basketball and bring it back. I want teams to know that while they might be more talented they’re going to earn everything they get against us.

I could care less about brand as long as they're winning

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2021, 06:46:20 PM »
 ;)
If they/them can win a National Championship at Marquette, I'll take them!
;) Touche

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2021, 06:48:03 PM »
I don't really care about the coach knowing analytics, but I want him/her to appreciate analytics and know to hire an analytics person if he/she needs to.

Analytics does not mean you hire someone to produce analytics.  Too many boomers do this and this flat out does not work.

Analytics is an approach to coaching where the entire program is oriented around analytics.

Analytics can work but almost no one does it correctly ... Too many think Rocky's explanation of analytics is how it is done, and why so few do it correctly.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 06:51:21 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2021, 06:49:26 PM »
Agree and this could be the 'philosophical differences' he talked about in his discussions with Wojo these past couple of weeks.

I know many don't care about this but Scholl also talked about how character was important in not having to worry about what's going on in the program, knowing the kids were quality people, and helping the institution as a whole.

2.  More local recruiting.  Im not saying the entire roster needs to be local, but start there.  I need to find the article again, but i recently read the likelihood of a kid transferring out is also significantly reduced if they are from in state or a border state.  So for us, get after it in wi, ill, mn.
I honestly don't understand why this is important. Have we not done well enough in WI and MN over the last 3 coaches? Is this more important for fans who live in WI because they hear it from UW folks? Is there a correlation between winning percentage and miles from campus the average player is?

But also has to be a good manager, and have self awareness of his/her strengths and weaknesses.  If this person is great at offense or defense, great.  If they knows nothing about hoops, but surround themselves with people that can help, also great.

100% this.... in addition to all of the attributes in the PaintTouches breakdown of candidates.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 06:51:44 PM »
Yuck. No more teams that can’t shoot straight.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 06:53:19 PM »
Agree and this could be the 'philosophical differences' he talked about in his discussions with Wojo these past couple of weeks.

I know many don't care about this but Scholl also talked about how character was important in not having to worry about what's going on in the program, knowing the kids were quality people, and helping the institution as a whole.
I honestly don't understand why this is important. Have we not done well enough in WI and MN over the last 3 coaches? Is this more important for fans who live in WI because they hear it from UW folks? Is there a correlation between winning percentage and miles from campus the average player is?100% this.... in addition to all of the attributes in the PaintTouches breakdown of candidates.

I care about the local recruiting simply because IMO those are easier wins. And Wojo screwed up some of the local relationships.

Buzz did great in this regard. Had some great local talent. But they also maintained a nationwide footprint.

feedback