[June 09, 2024, 10:48:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[June 09, 2024, 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Beginning of the End for Wojo was ...  (Read 3734 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
The Beginning of the End for Wojo was ...
« on: March 19, 2021, 04:44:58 PM »
February 27, 2019, 5:17 left in the second half at Nova.  MU was leading 60-55.

MU was ranked #10 and a win would have given MU a share of the regular season BE title.  MU scored just one more point and lost the game 67-61.  After this, they would go on to lose every game but one (St. Johns in the first round of the BET) for the rest of that season and the tournament (1-6) and never get any BE title (regular or post-season).

Then in the way too early preseason rankings for the next season (last year), MU was as high as #2 in the nation.

Then the Hausers wrote a letter, and we know the rest.

Last year MU was stumbling down the stretch and today's decision on Wojo looked like it was coming. But the season was cut off so we do not know what would have happened.  Wojo was given another year.

So, from February 27, 2019, with 5:17 left to the Hauser's letter sealed Wojo's fate.  The decision was delayed a year because of COVID.

Wojo never recovered from that loss.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 06:42:05 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: The Beginning of the End for Wojo was ...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 04:52:56 PM »
What's crazy is in an alternate world the Hausers stay and Wojo's a hero.

Honestly with his recruiting I fully expect him to get it to click eventually. I think he just bit off more than he could chew too quick.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 04:58:41 PM »
True

And the level of complete collapse in
2 years is / was unbelievable

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 05:10:21 PM »
It was the beginning of the end, but I think there was hope until February 12, 2020. I believe (and KP backs up) that we had a better overall team in Year 6. On February 11th, we had won 6 of 7, were top 25 in KenPom, on pace for a 3-6 seed in the NCAAT. We lose at Nova by 1 and the downfall from there has been unbelievable.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 06:28:00 PM »
It was the beginning of the end, but I think there was hope until February 12, 2020. I believe (and KP backs up) that we had a better overall team in Year 6. On February 11th, we had won 6 of 7, were top 25 in KenPom, on pace for a 3-6 seed in the NCAAT. We lose at Nova by 1 and the downfall from there has been unbelievable.

100% agree

If Feb 27, 2019, was the beginning of the end.  Feb 12, 2020, was the acceleration of the collapse that would lead to his ouster last year.  But COVID cut the season off and everyone got another year.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 06:38:54 PM »
February 27, 2019, 5:17 left in the second half at Nova.  MU was leading 60-55.

MU was ranked #10 and a win would have given MU a share of the regular season BE title.  MU scored just one more point and lost the game 67-61.  After this, they would go on to lose every game for the rest of that season and the tournament (0-6) and never get any BE title (regular or post-season).

Then in the way too early preseason rankings for the next season (last year), MU was as high as #2 in the nation.

Then the Hausers wrote a letter, and we know the rest.

Last year MU was stumbling down the stretch and today's decision on Wojo looked like it was coming. But the season was cut off so we do not know what would have happened.  Wojo was given another year.

So, from February 27, 2019, with 5:17 left to the Hauser's letter sealed Wojo's fate.  The decision was delayed a year because of COVID.

Wojo never recovered from that loss.

Just for the record, MU did win the first game in the BET against St.John’s in 2019.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 08:08:33 PM »
Hausers leaving was the big reveal that something was very wrong but I thought it was obvious he was a poor coach long before that. The Ellenson year was just a horrible brand of basketball IMO and was a precursor of what was to come.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 08:15:08 PM »
Hausers leaving was the big reveal that something was very wrong but I thought it was obvious he was a poor coach long before that. The Ellenson year was just a horrible brand of basketball IMO and was a precursor of what was to come.
+1

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 08:18:21 PM »

Sums up the Wojo era well.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 08:28:19 PM »
This is such a critical hire. I get chills when folks mention mid-major coaching candidates, or assistants. Maybe that’s where it ultimately goes, but I sure hope the administration swings big. Take a shot at a Tony Bennett...or whoever, but it’s a full count. Don’t go down looking.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 08:53:05 PM »
This is such a critical hire. I get chills when folks mention mid-major coaching candidates, or assistants. Maybe that’s where it ultimately goes, but I sure hope the administration swings big. Take a shot at a Tony Bennett...or whoever, but it’s a full count. Don’t go down looking.

What can we offer Tony Bennett?  Honest question.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 09:00:18 PM »
I believe the one man show, Markus Howard may have hurt the program as the team had to regroup and find themselves this year.

TFlegend

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 09:04:39 PM »

Couldn't agree more. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 09:19:30 PM »

Season tickets and driving distance to watch the Packers?

Seriously, though, the first 3 games of the 2019 skid were wild: http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2019/03/fifteen-disastrous-minutes.html?m=1

Marquette led Villanova, Creighton, & Seton Hall with 5 minutes to go and were collectively outscored 46-9 in the final five of those games. Just complete collapses.

Agreed with TAMU about 2020 as well. If everyone other than Markus keeps playing well, we're a 3/4 seed and he's NPOY. If it's us instead of Nova or Creighton getting into that top-3 mix, Wojo might still be here.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 09:30:24 PM »
id say when howard signed after sam or vice versa

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2021, 09:33:50 PM »

100% agree with this assessment.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 10:15:24 PM »
In Year 1 when he didn't Pole Whack the Buzz players who eventually transferred or got booted anyway, while getting Buzz's commits to recommit or land on reaches who bounced out anyway. His roster composition was a cement anchor that that he was never able to free himself from.

Let's not repeat this.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2021, 11:04:48 PM »
In Year 1 when he didn't Pole Whack the Buzz players who eventually transferred or got booted anyway, while getting Buzz's commits to recommit or land on reaches who bounced out anyway. His roster composition was a cement anchor that that he was never able to free himself from.

Let's not repeat this.

And then he was anchored to more top
100 RSCI players than the entire conference combined.  And what did he do with that talent?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2021, 11:09:54 PM »
This. The red flags came early and often.
No Finish Line

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2021, 11:11:06 PM »

I love thinking big. But why the heck would Bennett leave one of the best 3 programs in the ACC, one he led to the last national title, one paying him well?

But sure, kick the tires. On him and all the other big names.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2021, 12:52:53 AM »
The chance to play golf with his dad on weekends.  Dick has settled in Central Wisconsin.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."