'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU coaching candidates  (Read 91592 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: MU coaching candidates
« Reply #375 on: March 20, 2021, 04:28:36 PM »
HireShaka HireShaka HireShaka

Hooop Der it iz, Hooop Der it iz

(Repeat)

Well played!

(so tired of that commercial, but happy for Tag Team)

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #376 on: March 20, 2021, 04:36:47 PM »
SPRINKLES!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #377 on: March 20, 2021, 04:37:42 PM »
Well played!

(so tired of that commercial, but happy for Tag Team)

I've been sitting at a coffee shop and now bar singing that song from the commercial to myself all day.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #379 on: March 20, 2021, 04:45:19 PM »
8 pages of nothing but poop on a wall.

Give us time. In a couple days, we might have 20 pages of poop on a wall.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #380 on: March 20, 2021, 04:49:26 PM »
Are you willing to have a couple experienced guys on the bench,  able to give interesting interviews, and sit down for inspiring huddles?

edit: you might also be required to buy a house in 4ever's hood so that he can check in on you occasionally.

Damn straight Dude. Wee don't let know trailer trash inn The Quon, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #381 on: March 20, 2021, 04:51:12 PM »
I'd put this as a slim to none chance.  If we go with Wardle we may as well have kept Wojo, because there will be no hype behind the hire, and Marquette would be admitting mediocrity.

Stick a fork in the program if this happens.

Finally on the same page as we woke folks, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #382 on: March 20, 2021, 05:02:09 PM »
Are you willing to have a couple experienced guys on the bench,  able to give interesting interviews, and sit down for inspiring huddles?

edit: you might also be required to buy a house in 4ever's hood so that he can check in on you occasionally.

Damn straight Dude. Wee don't let know trailer trash inn The Quon, hey?

That's pushing it a bit, but I could upgrade the van to a house.

Also, to sweeten the pot. I'll even agree to Pitino as my Associate Head coach. They can even give him Head Coach money, and I'll take the Assistant Coach money.

drbob

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #383 on: March 20, 2021, 05:44:23 PM »
Everyone couldn't wait to see Wojo sacked, and these are the best replacement choices anyone can come up with?  Color me UNIMPRESSED!!! 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #384 on: March 20, 2021, 05:45:31 PM »
Everyone couldn't wait to see Wojo sacked, and these are the best replacement choices anyone can come up with?  Color me UNIMPRESSED!!! 

Who you got Bob?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #385 on: March 20, 2021, 05:54:29 PM »

Better ring up Scholl.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #386 on: March 20, 2021, 06:23:52 PM »
I think this is generous. His typical class ranked around 120 nationally.  His best two classes post-FF were 85 and 87.  His 2020 class and his class for 2021 are both in the 100s.  There are roughly 75 P6 schools plus Gonzaga.  So he wasn’t pulling in top 25 mid major classes and wasn’t even pulling in top 10 MM classes after the highest profile magical event a school like Loyola could have.

He can identify talent for his system and coaches players up clearly, but I have big concerns about him being able to go out and get top 75/100 guys needed to be BE contenders.  He’s never recruited at that level, even as an assistant. Even sole time at a power school, A&M, were some brutal years under Barone where they weren’t snagging any talent

That’s my worry. There is no doubt he’s a good Xs and Os guy.

It's definitely a question and reason why he's not one of my first choices.
But a couple of things that might make you feel better
- Although he hasn't killed it in the national rankings, I believe each of his last five classes has ranked first or second in the Valley. So while he's not beating out Big 10 or Big East schools, he's at least proven to be a top recruiter relative to his peer group.
- He's landed kids from top high/prep school programs. His roster this year includes kids from La Lumeire and Whitney Young and Brother Rice in Chicago. His Final Four team included kids from Simeon and Young in Chicago.  At Loyola, he never was going to pull top 100 kids from those programs, but hopefully relationships he's made recruiting their second-tier kids would bode well if he were recruiting for Marquette.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #387 on: March 20, 2021, 06:26:43 PM »
Although I Like Wardle as a person and Not that I Liked Col Jessup but As Col Jessup in A Few Good Men  might say “ Please tell me Marquette Has not pinned our hopes on Wardle”

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #388 on: March 20, 2021, 06:33:31 PM »
Remove Grant, slide Moser down behind Gates and I think you might have the actual list.
Agree for me tentatively Beilein, Gates, Moser third with cost factor, Smith, DeVries.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #389 on: March 20, 2021, 06:38:17 PM »
Any opinions on Joel Justus assistant at uk?  Didn’t have an easy road to get to his position.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #390 on: March 20, 2021, 07:14:25 PM »
- Although he hasn't killed it in the national rankings, I believe each of his last five classes has ranked first or second in the Valley. So while he's not beating out Big 10 or Big East schools, he's at least proven to be a top recruiter relative to his peer group.
- He's landed kids from top high/prep school programs. His roster this year includes kids from La Lumeire and Whitney Young and Brother Rice in Chicago. His Final Four team included kids from Simeon and Young in Chicago.  At Loyola, he never was going to pull top 100 kids from those programs, but hopefully relationships he's made recruiting their second-tier kids would bode well if he were recruiting for Marquette.

Both optimistic and realistic. Nicely done, Pak.

Like Wags, I'm not convinced about Moser ... but I don't have to be. They don't let any of us do the hiring, darn it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #391 on: March 20, 2021, 07:21:22 PM »

I have some concerns re. Moser and recruiting. You argument is constructed well, and would make me feel a little better about him as a choice.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #392 on: March 20, 2021, 07:24:48 PM »
Any opinions on Joel Justus assistant at uk?  Didn’t have an easy road to get to his position.

No opinions on assistants - but I do wonder if it will really be an assistant that MU hires.  If you pay close attention to Scholl's press conference he says he has a preference for head coaches, but talks about Broeker's list and seems to indicate there might be some strong assistant's they are considering.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #393 on: March 20, 2021, 07:54:27 PM »
MUBB won 3 coin flips in a row in 2003 NCAA Tourney. I give Tom Crean credit for having Marquette in that position. Marquette defeated Holy Cross by 4  points, defeated Mizzou in OT, and defeated Pittsburgh by 3 points in their first 3 games of the 2003 NCAA Tourney.

I give Buzz Williams credit for having his team in position the year they made the Elite 8. Marquette defeated Davidson at the buzzer in the first round. They then defeated Butler by 2 points in the 2nd round.

Do you see a pattern?

My point is to look at the whole resume and not just a 4 or 5 game sample.

No doubt Moser can game coach.  Can he recruit well enough to compete in the Big East?  Is his system appealing to BE caliber players?  How will he fair playing 20-25 high major games?

The answers to these questions are just as important to me as his past accomplishments.  His Final Four is not a negative, it just doesn't move the needle for me as much as it does for other fans.

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #394 on: March 20, 2021, 07:57:56 PM »
Can Moser recruit? Their players looked really good to me yesterday. Solid fundamentals. Crisp passing.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #395 on: March 20, 2021, 07:57:58 PM »
He probably does.  But it’s hard to sign a home run hire away from a school.  Unless there’s some Tony Bennett type at a Washington State.  Big $$ though.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #396 on: March 20, 2021, 08:44:22 PM »

No doubt Moser can game coach.  Can he recruit well enough to compete in the Big East?  Is his system appealing to BE caliber players?  How will he fair playing 20-25 high major games?

The answers to these questions are just as important to me as his past accomplishments.  His Final Four is not a negative, it just doesn't move the needle for me as much as it does for other fans.

But you weren't looking at his whole resume. And you downplayed their Final Four Run.

My response was to mention Marquette's deeper NCAA runs as an example of a double standard.

I mentioned Moser's MVC finishes in his last five seasons:

Reverse order:

1st
2nd
1st
1st
5th

That's pretty good.

Other successes elsewhere were mentioned, He's one of two coaches in UALR history with top 100 KenPom finishes, or his time at SLU.  These things for some present more than just "one lucky final four run.

Fair game is the time it takes to improve, or some things could have been better here or there, or style of play or whatever people want to mention...all fair.

Can he recruit to win in the Big East? That's a reasonable question. It would be a reasonable question for a lot of candidates. He obviously recruits for Loyola and he was the lead recruiter for SLU while there. He would need to hire a couple of good recruiters and put a staff together.

But his resume is much better than one Final Four run.

*Disclaimer, I am not advocating for Moser to be MU's next HC.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 08:54:50 PM by shoothoops »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #397 on: March 20, 2021, 08:55:54 PM »

These are things Moser definitely needs to address in his powerpoint presentation.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #398 on: March 20, 2021, 09:00:58 PM »

But his resume is much better than one Final Four run.

For discussion’s sake, if Loyola falls to Tennessee in the second round in 2018, is Moser in the discussion for the Marquette job or St John’s a few years back? I’d argue no. Which is why I think there is such emphasis on it. Right or wrong, NCAA performance and dip runs have flipped the switch on many careers

MU82

• All American
« Reply #399 on: March 20, 2021, 09:09:50 PM »
For discussion’s sake, if Loyola falls to Tennessee in the second round in 2018, is Moser in the discussion for the Marquette job or St John’s a few years back? I’d argue no. Which is why I think there is such emphasis on it. Right or wrong, NCAA performance and dip runs have flipped the switch on many careers

Yeah, but Loyola didn't lose.

I'm not pushing Moser at all, I think there are other guys I'd hire ahead of him, but there are logical fallacies to those kinds of arguments.

If Vander and Jamil didn't save Buzz against Davidson, Buzz wouldn't be remembered so fondly by so many MU fans. If Diener didn't save Wade's bacon vs Holy Cross, D-Wade wouldn't be quite so revered. There are a zillion of these "ifs" throughout sports history.

Yes, Loyola had a lot of good fortune, but they took advantage of it, they made much of their own good luck, they still had to win the games, and Moser deserves a lot of credit - just as he'd deserve a lot of blame if they didn't win.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson