'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU coaching candidates  (Read 91601 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: MU coaching candidates
« Reply #350 on: March 20, 2021, 03:34:44 PM »
On Loyola's board there's some posters who see us as a bigger threat for Moser than Depaul. They think if he turns down us he's probably their version of Few or McKillop.
Maigh Eo for Sam

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #351 on: March 20, 2021, 03:35:03 PM »
Which has led some I’ve talked with to say Gates wants to take over at FSU eventually

I was surprised that Hamilton is 72. His 10 year age challenge is pretty funny. He looks the exact same.

https://twitter.com/fsucoachham/status/1199045879598071808?s=21

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #352 on: March 20, 2021, 03:36:19 PM »
Serious question, would KO have any interest in being an assistant at MU?

Isn’t the general consensus on him a bad recruiter, but a really good X and O guy or do I have that reversed?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #353 on: March 20, 2021, 03:37:11 PM »
“In reality, his taking a mid major to the Final Four by beating all lower seeded teams wasn’t that impressive.” Really?

50% impressive, 50% incredibly lucky.

They won 3 coin flips in a row. I give Moser credit for having his team in that position.

But I balance the Final Four against his whole resume.  If his resume had 1st round, 2nd round, or Sweet 16 instead of Final Four.  If they had played a 1 seed instead of a 9 in the Elite 8.

He's just a play away from being a ho hum mid major coach.  Three plays going his way doesn't make him all that much better in my eyes.  But it sure makes the top line of his resume look good.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #354 on: March 20, 2021, 03:38:15 PM »

Isn’t the general consensus on him a bad recruiter, but a really good X and O guy or do I have that reversed?
That was Mike Deane.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #355 on: March 20, 2021, 03:38:29 PM »

No - he was an excellent recruiter and a great defensive coach. Offense was his weak spot.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #356 on: March 20, 2021, 03:38:51 PM »
FWIW, Scholl's head coaching hires to date have all had some Catholic school background in some form.

Does his hiring of Mike Neu from the New Orleans Saints to be Ball State's football coach count?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #357 on: March 20, 2021, 03:44:06 PM »
So the three most plausible candidates:

Gates:
Excellent recruiter with local ties, limited head coaching experience, some concern he wants FSU.
High risk, high reward.

Smith:
Solid coaching record, but unclear if he can recruit at a high enough level.

Moser:
Solid but inconsistent coaching record, pretty good recruiter.
The 'safe choice.'

Close?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #358 on: March 20, 2021, 03:47:39 PM »
I can get behind Smith, Kelsey, and Gates.

Outside of the pie in the sky wishlist, this is the list. We get one of these three and I’m pumped
No Finish Line

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #359 on: March 20, 2021, 03:49:04 PM »

Gates:
Excellent recruiter with local ties, limited head coaching experience, some concern he wants FSU.
High risk, high reward.

Smith:

Moser:
The 'safe choice.'

Close?

Think so and if it’s those 3, the order you have them in is the order I’d prefer them. 

As for the Shaka mention, I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility.  It’s probably likely he stays in Austin but he was on the hot seat a year ago and I’m not sure the athletic department is very stable at the moment
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #360 on: March 20, 2021, 03:51:30 PM »
50% impressive, 50% incredibly lucky.

They won 3 coin flips in a row. I give Moser credit for having his team in that position.

But I balance the Final Four against his whole resume.  If his resume had 1st round, 2nd round, or Sweet 16 instead of Final Four.  If they had played a 1 seed instead of a 9 in the Elite 8.

He's just a play away from being a ho hum mid major coach.  Three plays going his way doesn't make him all that much better in my eyes.  But it sure makes the top line of his resume look good.

MUBB won 3 coin flips in a row in 2003 NCAA Tourney. I give Tom Crean credit for having Marquette in that position. Marquette defeated Holy Cross by 4  points, defeated Mizzou in OT, and defeated Pittsburgh by 3 points in their first 3 games of the 2003 NCAA Tourney.

I give Buzz Williams credit for having his team in position the year they made the Elite 8. Marquette defeated Davidson at the buzzer in the first round. They then defeated Butler by 2 points in the 2nd round.

Do you see a pattern?

The other issue is that it is much more difficult for non Power 5/Big East schools to make the NCAA Tourney. Comparing apples to oranges here. Something more valuable to consider is regular season results, good, bad, indifferent, as well as assistant stops. So in this example the past 5 years backwards are 1,2,1,1,5 league records. While both have value, which has more value, winning your regular season or winning your conference tourney?

*disclaimer, I am not advocating for Moser to be MUBB coach.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 03:54:05 PM by shoothoops »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #361 on: March 20, 2021, 03:54:32 PM »
Think so and if it’s those 3, the order you have them in is the order I’d prefer them. 

As for the Shaka mention, I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility.  It’s probably likely he stays in Austin but he was on the hot seat a year ago and I’m not sure the athletic department is very stable at the moment

It is, in fact, out of the realm of possibility.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #362 on: March 20, 2021, 03:54:50 PM »
MUBB won 3 coin flips in a row in 2003 NCAA Tourney. I give Tom Crean credit for having Marquette in that position. Marquette defeated Holy Cross by 4  points, defeated Mizzou in 2OT, and defeated Pittsburgh by 3 points in their first 3 games of the 2003 NCAA Tourney.

I give Buzz Williams credit for having his team in position the year they made the Elite 8. Marquette defeated Davidson at the buzzer in the first round. They then defeated Butler by 2 points in the 2nd round.

Do you see a pattern?

The other issue is that it is much more difficult for non Power 5/Big East schools to make the NCAA Tourney. Comparing apples to oranges here. Something more valuable to consider is regular season results, good, bad, indifferent, as well as assistant stops. So in this example the past 5 years backwards are 1,2,1,1,5 league records. While both have value, which has more value, winning your regular season or winning your conference tourney?

*disclaimer, I am not advocating for Moser to be MUBB coach.

This is exactly my point, and a resounding positive not a negative in the least. On the big stage, with backs against the wall over & over again, his teams display mental fortitude to keep coming in waves, keep D'ing up, and keep shooting with fundamentals & confidence. How is that possibly construed as a negative??

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #363 on: March 20, 2021, 03:55:44 PM »
Yea that Loyola final four team was tough as crap.

They were also hanging right with Michigan until very late in the game.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #364 on: March 20, 2021, 03:56:35 PM »
Does/should this eliminate Joe Pasternack as a candidate?

"* Other allegations of rules violations surfaced during an October federal criminal trial, in which a jury convicted Code and Dawkins of bribery charges in a pay-for-play scheme to steer recruits to Adidas-sponsored schools. Brian Bowen Sr., the father of five-star recruit Brian Bowen Jr., testified that Dawkins told him that then-Arizona associate head coach Joe Pasternack offered $50,000 for his son to sign with the Wildcats in the spring of 2017. Pasternack is now the head coach at UC Santa Barbara."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26668686/ncaa-launches-investigation-arizona-program

FWIW, it seems Pasternack was not named in the NCAA's infractions report released earlier this month.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #365 on: March 20, 2021, 04:01:35 PM »

MUBB won 3 coin flips in a row in 2003 NCAA Tourney. I give Tom Crean credit for having Marquette in that position. Marquette defeated Holy Cross by 4  points, defeated Mizzou in OT, and defeated Pittsburgh by 3 points in their first 3 games of the 2003 NCAA Tourney.

Do you see a pattern?

Agreed. The same could be said about most any coach who has one season that stands out from the rest. Shaka has 6 NCAA Tournament wins*, and 4 of them were in one year.

*No, I don't count play-in games.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #366 on: March 20, 2021, 04:02:54 PM »

Gates:
High risk, high reward.

Smith:

Moser:
The 'safe choice.'

Close?

I have been a fan of Gates and his MU ties ever since Hoop Dreams
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #367 on: March 20, 2021, 04:03:29 PM »

Swap Austin for Milwaukee???? That is dreaming big time. I would say almost no chance that happens.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #368 on: March 20, 2021, 04:03:42 PM »
Does/should this eliminate Joe Pasternack as a candidate?

"* Other allegations of rules violations surfaced during an October federal criminal trial, in which a jury convicted Code and Dawkins of bribery charges in a pay-for-play scheme to steer recruits to Adidas-sponsored schools. Brian Bowen Sr., the father of five-star recruit Brian Bowen Jr., testified that Dawkins told him that then-Arizona associate head coach Joe Pasternack offered $50,000 for his son to sign with the Wildcats in the spring of 2017. Pasternack is now the head coach at UC Santa Barbara."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26668686/ncaa-launches-investigation-arizona-program

FWIW, it seems Pasternack was not named in the NCAA's infractions report released earlier this month.

If true, yes it should eliminate him.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #369 on: March 20, 2021, 04:04:19 PM »
I have been a fan of Gates and his MU ties ever since Hoop Dreams

;D

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #370 on: March 20, 2021, 04:05:18 PM »
It is, in fact, out of the realm of possibility.

Perhaps a "Hire Shaka" billboard would help!!!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #371 on: March 20, 2021, 04:06:04 PM »

Moser:
The 'safe choice.'

Close?

I think this is generous. His typical class ranked around 120 nationally.  His best two classes post-FF were 85 and 87.  His 2020 class and his class for 2021 are both in the 100s.  There are roughly 75 P6 schools plus Gonzaga.  So he wasn’t pulling in top 25 mid major classes and wasn’t even pulling in top 10 MM classes after the highest profile magical event a school like Loyola could have.

He can identify talent for his system and coaches players up clearly, but I have big concerns about him being able to go out and get top 75/100 guys needed to be BE contenders.  He’s never recruited at that level, even as an assistant. Even sole time at a power school, A&M, were some brutal years under Barone where they weren’t snagging any talent

That’s my worry. There is no doubt he’s a good Xs and Os guy.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #372 on: March 20, 2021, 04:06:49 PM »

And a joint statement from Cracked Sidewalks, Anonymous Eagle and Paint Touches.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #373 on: March 20, 2021, 04:17:46 PM »
8 pages of nothing but poop on a wall.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #374 on: March 20, 2021, 04:21:03 PM »

HireShaka HireShaka HireShaka

Hooop Der it iz, Hooop Der it iz

(Repeat)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 04:25:54 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.