Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU coaching candidates  (Read 91676 times)

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
Re: MU coaching candidates
« Reply #275 on: March 20, 2021, 12:03:20 PM »
A friend, who is former college BB coach says MU reached out to Shaka when he was getting heat from Texas fans/donors (2-3 months ago, prior to a strong finish).  Maybe they don't like Texas and would prefer Wisconsin.  Who knows, but he was listening.  Can we afford him?

Boy, if that is true I REALLY like hearing that.  Not that I love Shaka (maybe, not sure yet). But I love that MU was being pro active behind the scenes a long time ago when things weren't going great this year.  That is a very good sign that our leadership knows what it is doing. Of course, it might all be hooey and we're flying blind here.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #276 on: March 20, 2021, 12:04:07 PM »
I am not looking forward to Shaka watch 2.0

#UnfinishedDeal

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #277 on: March 20, 2021, 12:05:17 PM »

#UnfinishedDeal

Frankly, based on having a President and an AD who isn’t a stopgap, I assume this search will go much smoother.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #278 on: March 20, 2021, 12:05:59 PM »
1. Beilein
2. Moser
3. Grant
4. Smith
5. Gates

The its definitely not happening list if we are delusional and dreaming

1. Wright
2. Stevens
3. Pitino
4. Doc
5. Oats
6. Shaka

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #279 on: March 20, 2021, 12:06:30 PM »
Didn't realize Shaka hasn't won an NCAA tournament game at Texas and has a losing record in conference. Yikes. This season will likely be his best, barring a crazy upset pick.

Maybe Moser is the better (and likely less expensive) option here.

Shaka was very much on the hot seat entering this season.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #280 on: March 20, 2021, 12:07:57 PM »

#UnfinishedDeal
Shaka would be good. Best week in scoop history. We would need Keefe to come out of retirement.
But I don’t have time to waste on another Shaka week.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #281 on: March 20, 2021, 12:09:02 PM »
1. Beilein
2. Moser
3. Grant
4. Smith
5. Gates

The its definitely not happening list if we are delusional and dreaming

1. Wright
2. Stevens
3. Pitino
4. Doc
5. Oats
6. Shaka
Top one is the correct order / list

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #282 on: March 20, 2021, 12:10:46 PM »
I don't know the X's & O's of college basketball real well, so can someone explain to me why we're excited about Shaka? He's had 1 Final Four run, he hasn't done anything else in the Tourney.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #283 on: March 20, 2021, 12:14:33 PM »
1. Beilein
2. Moser
3. Grant
4. Smith
5. Gates

Hard pass on Grant.
Two NCAA appearances in his last 10 years as a head coach (I'm counting last year, as they obviously were a lock). We've already seen what he can do at the P6 level, and it was thoroughly meh.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #284 on: March 20, 2021, 12:15:55 PM »

He likes Milwaukee weather.
We hear his wife digs Wisconsin and Milwaukee also.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #285 on: March 20, 2021, 12:17:05 PM »
Him or Beilein or Matta. Even if it's just a few years to get us back at least to 2002-2013 level I'll be happy.
I think the expected life of any coach at a University is five years, so age does not matter.
Gone if they do not win.
Gone if they do really well.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #286 on: March 20, 2021, 12:18:28 PM »
The Shaka info from Goodman screams Shaka using Marquette as leverage for a new contract with Texas. I would love him here too, but I don’t see that happening based on what happened in 2014.

Agree this feels like a Shaka PR stunt and leveraging is buddy, Goodman, to help push it.

This is my take on it too. Shaka doesn't want to go anywhere, but he wants a new contract, the only way he gets that is leveraging another offer.

But, anytime you leverage another offer, you run the risk of them saying "go ahead and take it, don't let the ass hit you on your way out." If Texas would lose today, I find it hard to believe that donors would pony up to keep him, rather I think they would be calling for him to be gone.

I don't see him losing to Abilene Christian, but if he did, I think he is certainly available.

Guys ... shhh ... peeps have finally gotten excited about a coach not named Rick Pitino Sr.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #287 on: March 20, 2021, 12:19:26 PM »
Shaka had a number of exciting teams at VCU.   It is tough getting an A-10 team to a final four.   His Havoc defense was an easy identity that many here crave.     MU coveted him last time around.    He was marginally more successful at Texas than Wojo was at MU.  But he finished strong this year and there is a lingering love affair from the last time around.   

Moser is gaining traction because he has a final 4 and is now in the tourney for the second time in his 17 year head coaching career.    He was a failure at UALR and Illinois State and took many years to gain traction at Loyola.    But his teams play solid defense and don't turn the ball over on offense.    Plus, he has ties to Majerus, who was run out of town at MU before he became beloved.   

There is no perfect candidate.    Too old, too young, too expensive, ethical issues... pick one.     We are truly in the crap-shoot end game now.   

I hope for the best and look forward to seeing how it turns out.

If I got to pick..... Moser or Gates.   

But I think it is Wardle.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #288 on: March 20, 2021, 12:20:35 PM »
Bring back an assistant who was on staff with a teams that didn't meet everyone's standards.  Why would we do that?

Don’t worry, no way Stan gives up So-Cal sun & good vibes from his current resurrection project to come back to a frozen/gray city rebuild

Find the next Al/Few/Jay Wright
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #289 on: March 20, 2021, 12:21:14 PM »
Don’t worry, no way Stan gives up So-Cal sun & good vibes from his current resurrection project to come back to a frozen/gray city rebuild

Jeez, no pressure

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #290 on: March 20, 2021, 12:23:30 PM »
The Shaka info from Goodman screams Shaka using Marquette as leverage for a new contract with Texas. I would love him here too, but I don’t see that happening based on what happened in 2014.

Makes a ton of sense.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #291 on: March 20, 2021, 12:24:05 PM »
There is no perfect candidate.    Too old, too young, too expensive, ethical issues... pick one.     We are truly in the crap-shoot end game now.   

Well if those are the criteria, let me throw my hat in the ring. I'm not too old, or too young. I'd be willing to sign at a massive discount. Ethically, impeccable.

Sure, my coaching chops are suspect, but I did dunk in a pickup game or two...I've heard from some (one) on here that, that is pretty much the only essential metric. So, maybe there's a chance...I'm also willing to hire any staff that Scholl wants on the bench with me.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #292 on: March 20, 2021, 12:24:57 PM »
Hard pass on Grant.
Two NCAA appearances in his last 10 years as a head coach (I'm counting last year, as they obviously were a lock). We've already seen what he can do at the P6 level, and it was thoroughly meh.

Is the previous poster referring to Anthony Grant? I haven’t seen his name mentioned but I hope he isn’t being seriously considered. UD fans already want him gone.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #293 on: March 20, 2021, 12:25:40 PM »
Shaka had a number of exciting teams at VCU.   It is tough getting an A-10 team to a final four.   His Havoc defense was an easy identity that many here crave.     MU coveted him last time around.    He was marginally more successful at Texas than Wojo was at MU.  But he finished strong this year and there is a lingering love affair from the last time around.   

Moser is gaining traction because he has a final 4 and is now in the tourney for the second time in his 17 year head coaching career.    He was a failure at UALR and Illinois State and took many years to gain traction at Loyola.    But his teams play solid defense and don't turn the ball over on offense.    Plus, he has ties to Majerus, who was run out of town at MU before he became beloved.   

I hope for the best and look forward to seeing how it turns out.

If I got to pick..... Moser or Gates.   

But I think it is Wardle.
Or hire Moser and schedule Bradley each year, hence you then have Wardle, if only once a year.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #294 on: March 20, 2021, 12:25:58 PM »
Well if those are the criteria, let me throw my hat in the ring. I'm not too old, or too young. I'd be willing to sign at a massive discount. Ethically, impeccable.

Sure, my coaching chops are suspect, but I did dunk in a pickup game or two...I've heard from some (one) on here that, that is pretty much the only essential metric. So, maybe there's a chance...I'm also willing to hire any staff that Scholl wants on the bench with me.

Are you willing to have a couple experienced guys on the bench,  able to give interesting interviews, and sit down for inspiring huddles?

edit: you might also be required to buy a house in 4ever's hood so that he can check in on you occasionally.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 12:27:39 PM by rocky_warrior »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #295 on: March 20, 2021, 12:28:01 PM »

Easy peasy.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #296 on: March 20, 2021, 12:30:20 PM »
Are you willing to have a couple experienced guys on the bench,  able to give interesting interviews, and sit down for inspiring huddles?

Absolutely. Man, I'll pull my inner Buzz out. And I'm well known for my inspirational speeches/mentoring.

I got this. Those experienced guys on the bench can draw up the offense/defense. I'll focus on mentoring, recruiting, just get me in a room with them and I can sell a ketchup popsicle to a women in white gloves.

I'm sure the salary can be enough to upgrade from my current van down by the river.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 12:35:17 PM by forgetful »

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #297 on: March 20, 2021, 12:31:28 PM »
I prefer Pitino (commence internet mob beating), but I could get behind Moser, and maybe Pat Kelsey.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #298 on: March 20, 2021, 12:32:29 PM »
Absolutely. Man, I'll pull my inner Buzz out.

You’re starting Monday then. At Ma Fischer’s at 430am  ;D
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #299 on: March 20, 2021, 12:42:17 PM »
I'm sure the salary can be enough to upgrade from my current van down by the river.

Do you currently own any eccentric suits?  Bonus points if they include Pantone 281 or Pantone 123.