[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More Likely Scenario  (Read 15200 times)

pacearrow02

• Starter
More Likely Scenario
« on: March 17, 2021, 09:44:34 AM »
Wojo will be retained.  So instead of dreaming about who a new coach could be I’ve been spending the last couple days dreaming about the possibility below.  Starting lineup/Depth chart at each position of:

PG:Carton/Mitchell
SG: Elliot/Carton
SF: Lewis/(tbd)
PF: Battle/Lewis
C: Garcia/Aidoo/Oso

Lewis needs to improve outside shot and handle.  Garcia needs 15 lbs of muscle and work on finishing around the rim. 

Plug in some transfers in the backcourt who are good ball handlers and shooters and we’re onto something.  Last piece is an assistant with specialty in establishing an actual offense.  If Wojo puts aside his ego and let’s that assistant take over implementing the offense I feel good about heading into next year.

Lot of if’s in the above scenario but we’re a couple transfers and some internal player development away from being real good imo.

panda

• All American
Re: More Likely Scenario
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 09:45:52 AM »
Wojo will be retained.  So instead of dreaming about who a new coach could be I’ve been spending the last couple days dreaming about the possibility below.  Starting lineup/Depth chart at each position of:

Lewis needs to improve outside shot and handle.  Garcia needs 15 lbs of muscle and work on finishing around the rim. 

Plug in some transfers in the backcourt who are good ball handlers and shooters and we’re onto something.  Last piece is an assistant with specialty in establishing an actual offense.  If Wojo puts aside his ego and let’s that assistant take over implementing the offense I feel good about heading into next year.

Lot of if’s in the above scenario but we’re a couple transfers and some internal player development away from being real good imo.

You think the defense was bad a few years ago?

Yikes

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 09:48:00 AM »
If I had to place a bet, my money would be on Wojo returning.   But there is no way to predict the roster, regardless of who the coach is.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:59:29 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 09:50:13 AM »
If I had to place a bet, my money wod be on Wojo returning.   But there is no way to predict the roster, regardless of who the coach is.

💯 the offseason transfer insanity has just begun so I agree whole heartedly.  The above roster makeup is based off the rumors we’re hearing as of this morning.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 09:52:22 AM »

I may have missed something, but who is Battle?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 09:54:42 AM »

Stretch 4 transfer from GW who we seem to be high on his list.

panda

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 09:55:07 AM »

A thin forward who was good on a really bad George Washington team.

Good shooter but doesn’t do much else. Think along the lines of a mid major Brenden Bailey. Prototypical Wojo guy.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 09:57:48 AM »

Good shooter but doesn’t do much else. Think along the lines of a mid major Brenden Bailey. Prototypical Wojo guy.

One way to describe his game I suppose.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 09:58:27 AM »

Could end up being an all-timer, hey?

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 10:10:41 AM »
"A more likely scenario" followed by a lot of "ifs" is not something I'm looking forward to.  Could just as easily say "What if we lose 1-2 more players?" and "What if they aren't replaced by better transfers?" and "What if the transfers don't have enough time to pick up Wojo's complex systems /s" and "What if there's 1-2 injuries next year?", etc.  We're going to have a very short bench and we're going to have a lot of "tired legs" come the second round robin.

Due to a culture of transfers, Wojo has dug himself into a deep, deep hole.     
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

panda

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 10:11:21 AM »
Could end up being an all-timer, hey?

This is not meant to disparage him, but anecdotally as a cbb fan, guys who aren’t high major recruited players who don’t dominate every game on bad teams rarely are difference makers when they move up a level of competition.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:14:37 AM by panda »

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 10:13:19 AM »

Don’t waste your time on topic A.  Waste your time on my just as meaningless topic B.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 10:54:11 AM »
Don’t waste your time on topic A.  Waste your time on my just as meaningless topic B.

Discussion on roster makeup of players who are actually on the team and other transfers we’ve been linked to is meaningless?  I didn’t say the topic of wojo getting canned was meaningless either, just not likely. 

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 10:56:38 AM »
I do believe that Wojo stays, most of the core players return, and MU is a net winner in the transfer pool.  But for DJ, transfers are rarely impact players.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 11:05:16 AM »
Did battle commit? I would just caution against the hatching of chickens and counting.

Our needs are: C, shooter, ball handler.

Currently it looks like what we need/should be pursuing/have pursued are:

Cam'ron Fletcher (handler, sparkplug scoring)- Offered already
Tre Mitchell (versatile center with outside game; strong interior presence)- Unclear if we've reached out
Jamison Battle (shooter, handler)- Offered and in top 2 to contact
Seth Lundy (scorer, but had a down year but could be teh BB role that we needed this year)- Offered

2021 kids:
Kordell Charles (IMG, feels like a Jimmy type guy, but haven't seen much of his jumper).

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 11:16:00 AM »
Did battle commit? I would just caution against the hatching of chickens and counting.

Our needs are: A new head coach

Fixed it for you.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 11:19:46 AM »

Our needs are: C, shooter, ball handler.

Currently it looks like what we need/should be pursuing/have pursued are:

Cam'ron Fletcher (handler, sparkplug scoring)- Offered already
Tre Mitchell (versatile center with outside game; strong interior presence)- Unclear if we've reached out
Jamison Battle (shooter, handler)- Offered and in top 2 to contact
Seth Lundy (scorer, but had a down year but could be teh BB role that we needed this year)- Offered

2021 kids:
Kordell Charles (IMG, feels like a Jimmy type guy, but haven't seen much of his jumper).

Like your list above!  And yes while I’m definitely counting my chickens a little early since he hasn’t committed, I think it’s fair to say however based off his comments it feels like we’re at least in the drivers seat for him.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 11:25:17 AM »
Probably belongs in the transfers thread, but in addition to not counting, I'd (personally) be measured with my courting until next Tuesday, when another 50+ teams have finished their season (NIT too), coaching changes start heating up and you can go after the best options to suit your team.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 12:47:51 PM »
Thank you for you reasonableness. As a long-time Warrior fan, I really expect Wojo to be back next year.

Let's be realistic. Since Coach McGuire retired following the 1977 NCAA Championship, there have been eight head basketball coaches in 44 years. Of that group, two have been fired, two retired or resigned and three left for other universities. The eighth is Wojo. The average tenure is 5.5 years, which Wojo already has exceeded. In the 44 years, we have fallen from the bluest of bluebloods to what this year was an also-ran in what was a mediocre conference. Only for one year did we sniff anything close to what we expected in Coach McGuire's time.

To fire Wojo now is to go back into the deep hinterlands with, under the best case scenario, a three-year return to where we are now. And, given our track record, we run the risk that this year might be a high point. I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.

My view is that the program has been mismanaged badly. We had so much and, candidly, still do, going for us. Our reputation was first rate. We're in a usually great conference and our fans have supported us through thick and thin. The ingredients are here to win and the implication of winning is so great for Marquette's future away from basketball and athletics that I can't understand how anyone can tolerate anything but excellence.

That off my chest, Marquette will have Wojo back because we have the foundation for something good, if it is managed correctly (which it wasn't this year). The BOT inevitably will look to such Bluebloods as Duke, Kentucky and Louisville as three examples of teams that floundered this year because of Covid-19 related issues. They'll rationalize that we lost practice early in the season, lost conditioning and drilling last summer and had limited chance to convert the core of our team, Carton, Garcia and Lewis, into top-flite college players. They'll contend that the group we have coming in will augment what's already in place quite well and give Wojo the leash to go recruit high-quality transfers or a JuCo or two.

I've said before and still believe Wojo has a sales job ahead of him this summer. He MUST BE front and center in selling the program to its constituencies -- the fans that buy tickets to the FiServ, the students who need to show up, the alumni who unite around a good program and the administration that, foolheartedly or not, put our fortunes in Wojo's hands. He's going to have to sell us that Marquette has more than fine young men. The sales pitch will be on how good the team can be, what we should expect from our Warriors in 2021-2022 and how we should measure him.

I'm sure Wojo holds the team accountable, to some degree. But the measure this year MUST BE that results matter. You can play well but the nonsense that cost us several games this year MUST STOP. You players either do what you're paid for (yes, they're paid in a barter transaction), or you'll sit. In one regard he's got to do what he never before did in basically benching some hotshot that might think he's above discipline (are you listening, Henry?)

There's not a whole lot of confidence here that any of this will happen. But dammit, I hope I'm wrong because we don't need yet another rebuilding project.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 12:54:14 PM »
Thank you for you reasonableness. As a long-time Warrior fan, I really expect Wojo to be back next year.

Let's be realistic. Since Coach McGuire retired following the 1977 NCAA Championship, there have been eight head basketball coaches in 44 years. Of that group, two have been fired, two retired or resigned and three left for other universities. The eighth is Wojo. The average tenure is 5.5 years, which Wojo already has exceeded. In the 44 years, we have fallen from the bluest of bluebloods to what this year was an also-ran in what was a mediocre conference. Only for one year did we sniff anything close to what we expected in Coach McGuire's time.

To fire Wojo now is to go back into the deep hinterlands with, under the best case scenario, a three-year return to where we are now. And, given our track record, we run the risk that this year might be a high point. I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.

My view is that the program has been mismanaged badly. We had so much and, candidly, still do, going for us. Our reputation was first rate. We're in a usually great conference and our fans have supported us through thick and thin. The ingredients are here to win and the implication of winning is so great for Marquette's future away from basketball and athletics that I can't understand how anyone can tolerate anything but excellence.

That off my chest, Marquette will have Wojo back because we have the foundation for something good, if it is managed correctly (which it wasn't this year). The BOT inevitably will look to such Bluebloods as Duke, Kentucky and Louisville as three examples of teams that floundered this year because of Covid-19 related issues. They'll rationalize that we lost practice early in the season, lost conditioning and drilling last summer and had limited chance to convert the core of our team, Carton, Garcia and Lewis, into top-flite college players. They'll contend that the group we have coming in will augment what's already in place quite well and give Wojo the leash to go recruit high-quality transfers or a JuCo or two.

I've said before and still believe Wojo has a sales job ahead of him this summer. He MUST BE front and center in selling the program to its constituencies -- the fans that buy tickets to the FiServ, the students who need to show up, the alumni who unite around a good program and the administration that, foolheartedly or not, put our fortunes in Wojo's hands. He's going to have to sell us that Marquette has more than fine young men. The sales pitch will be on how good the team can be, what we should expect from our Warriors in 2021-2022 and how we should measure him.

I'm sure Wojo holds the team accountable, to some degree. But the measure this year MUST BE that results matter. You can play well but the nonsense that cost us several games this year MUST STOP. You players either do what you're paid for (yes, they're paid in a barter transaction), or you'll sit. In one regard he's got to do what he never before did in basically benching some hotshot that might think he's above discipline (are you listening, Henry?)

There's not a whole lot of confidence here that any of this will happen. But dammit, I hope I'm wrong because we don't need yet another rebuilding project.

Very well said, my friend.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 01:04:00 PM »

Very well said, my friend.

I disagree. Our best case scenario in 3 years is to finish 10th in a bad league and not have all that promising of a future ahead? I mean c’mon. Don’t want to go through another rebuild? What’s even being built right now?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2021, 01:10:34 PM »
I disagree. Our best case scenario in 3 years is to finish 10th in a bad league and not have all that promising of a future ahead? I mean c’mon. Don’t want to go through another rebuild? What’s even being built right now?

Bob Dukiet

Need I say more?

monkeyman34

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2021, 01:12:25 PM »

I agree with your first points, but disagree completely with your last about keeping Wojo.  THere's no reason for this to be a 3-year rebuild if you hire the right coach.  Alabama, holder of 0 final fours, fired Avery Johnson after 4 years of above .500 ball and now are a 2-seed under Nate Oats, who was a home run hire, who Marquette should have hired 2 offseasons ago.  If Wojo is kept this offseason, this makes the rebuild stretch out even longer because of just holding on to an already sunken cost instead of cutting your losses (already two (or more) years too late)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2021, 01:13:45 PM »

Best case scenario if we fire Wojo now. Yes.

New coaches - even those who ultimately do well - frequently take a step or two back before moving forward again.  The roster is more unsettled than usual, a new system is being implemented, and even the most demanding fans give the coach a mulligan for a while. The rare exceptions are established high major coaches like Pitino, but there is NO chance MU goes after someone with his baggage. Since MU would almost certainly hire a long-time assistant or a HC who has no high major head coaching experience, I'd expect a regression or - at best - a status quo for a while.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2021, 01:14:41 PM »
I agree with your first points, but disagree completely with your last about keeping Wojo.  THere's no reason for this to be a 3-year rebuild if you hire the right coach.  Alabama, holder of 0 final fours, fired Avery Johnson after 4 years of above .500 ball and now are a 2-seed under Nate Oats, who was a home run hire, who Marquette should have hired 2 offseasons ago.  If Wojo is kept this offseason, this makes the rebuild stretch out even longer because of just holding on to an already sunken cost instead of cutting your losses (already two (or more) years too late)

I agree with you that we need to cut our losses now.   But claiming that they should have fired Wojo and hired Oats two years ago is completely Monday morning quarterbacking.  Firing him two years ago was never going to happen.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback