collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Happy St. Patricks  (Read 4842 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Happy St. Patricks
« on: March 17, 2021, 07:09:04 AM »
Back in the day the celebrations were great.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
Re: Happy St. Patricks
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 07:40:54 AM »
I am Irish and in my adult years have avoided these celebrations like the plague.   I have never liked corned beef or day drinking.

Plus, I would go to pubs to hear Irish music the other 364 days of the year.

So, Happy St. Patrick's day.   Looking forward to the Easter COVID spike.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 07:48:20 AM »
I am Irish and in my adult years have avoided these celebrations like the plague.   I have never liked corned beef or day drinking.

I suppose you enjoyed the Grinch Who Stole Christmas......🥸
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 07:56:58 AM »
I did at the end when he realized the true meaning of the holiday.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 08:01:21 AM »

And really once you've heard one Irish song, you're good for another year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 08:08:08 AM »
Things that I hate about this holiday:

1. People who wear Notre dame gear

2. Green beer

3. Leprechaun and lucky charm shots

4. Every bar has "Irish nachos" suddenly

5. "Kiss me I'm Irish"

6. People who ask me to play "shipping up to Boston" on the bagpipes. Very clearly an accordion

7. People who think they're smart and give me crap about not walking around with Irish Uilleann pipes, they aren't a walking instrument. Every amadan knows the Highland Pipes are Scottish it's not a test.

8. You're Irish? You must love soccer then!" No I play in the GAA. FAI are a joke right now & Robbie keane isn't walking through that door.

9. Corned beef & cabbage (make some boiled bacon and eat the actual meal you daft Irish-Americans!)

10. People not shutting up about how Irish they are when they A) Have a great great great grand parent that ran away from a war torn impoverished colony. And/or B) have only ever been to Temple Bar.

11. People I see spouting Sinn Fein talking points because "Irish nationalism" despite voting red here and usually aren't even eligible to be citizens or even stakeholders there.

12. The first and second generation Irish Americans that make obnoxious lists putting down Americans that just want to have a good time

Edit: Tower's point about shamrock shakes belongs on here.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:31:34 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 08:08:55 AM »
I've been playing Irish music all month like Christmas music.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 08:11:49 AM »

Zombies, With or Without You and Brown Eyed Girl?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 08:14:28 AM »

Same here, Rory Gallagher  ;)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 08:16:46 AM »
Fenians, Gaelic Storm, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy's,  Wolfstone, Ashley MacIsaac, Chieftains, some local stuff.

But I will throw that stuff on year round when the mood strikes.

And U2, of course.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 08:20:40 AM by tower912 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 08:31:04 AM »
Fenians, Gaelic Storm, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy's,  Wolfstone, Ashley MacIsaac, Chieftains, some local stuff.

And U2, of course.

Should check out the Tossers. Better than Molly or Murphy's have become.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 08:36:40 AM »

And U2, of course.

The Spectrum on Sirius XM is playing Irish music all day.  U2-XM radio doing the same.
On my way to work they played Gaelic Storm, Flogging Molly and The Pogues along with the classic Drunken Sailor version by the Irish Rovers.

I had a friend who was into Irish music and back in the early 90's we used to go to bars around Connecticut to see this performer named Mark James play.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 08:37:41 AM »
That is a good morning drive to work.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 08:45:47 AM »
That is a good morning drive to work.

I'm definitely ready for some Guinness.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 08:49:54 AM »

2. Green beer

5. "Kiss me I'm Irish"

6. People who ask me to play "shipping up to Boston" on the bagpipes. Very clearly an accordion

7. People who think they're smart and give me crap about not walking around with Irish Uilleann pipes, they aren't a walking instrument. Every amadan knows the Highland Pipes are Scottish it's not a test.

8. You're Irish? You must love soccer then!" No I play in the GAA. FAI are a joke right now & Robbie keane isn't walking through that door.

9. Corned beef & cabbage (make some boiled bacon and eat the actual meal you daft Irish-Americans!)

10. People not shutting up about how Irish they are when they A) Have a great great great grand parent that ran away from a war torn impoverished colony. And/or B) have only ever been to Temple Bar.

11. The first and second generation Irish Americans that make obnoxious lists putting down Americans that just want to have a good time

Shamrock shakes.   Like there is ever a bad time for a mint milkshake.   But, being McDonald's, they both hype the crap out of it and screw it up.

And One More Day Above the Roses by Gaelic Storm is my mental get out of jail song.

Raised on Black and Tans encapsulates my feelings about St. Patrick's day.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:02:11 AM by tower912 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 08:54:06 AM »
Shamrock shakes.   Like there is ever a bad time for a mint milkshake.   But, being McDonald's, the both hype the crap out of it and screw it up.

Definitely. Shamrock shakes makes the list.

Additionally, any bar that attempts to serve a traditional Irish breakfast but gives up halfway. Was once given American bacon, two American breakfast sausages, beans in gravy, and scrambled eggs. I was close to going into the kitchen and screaming.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 09:29:48 AM »
My favorite Irish pub ballad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuRjO8WbgT8

Ludum habemus.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 10:02:16 AM »
11. The first and second generation Irish Americans that make obnoxious lists putting down Americans that just want to have a good time

Well played.  And anyone thinking soccer is uniquely Irish is a clown.  Though it reminds me of a good story.

I lived down the street from Declan’s in Old Town in Chicago for a few years.  And like a lot of bars, they had some younger Irish folks come to work during the summers.  Became friendly with them cause it was our local and we often started or ended there.  Well a couple of the guys came back for St Paddy’s Day cause they wanted to see crazy Americans celebrate their holiday.  Well it happened to be 2010, right after the infamous Thierry Henry handball during the France-Ireland WC qualifiers the fall before.  We’d been drinking all day, a soccer highlight comes on ESPN, I blurt out “man I love football, especially Thierry Henry, dude plays the game with such flair and CLASS”.  There was a pause and then one of the guys, Rian, launched into an expletive filled rant that was so thick with inebriated accent we could barely understand him and culminated with him spiking a pint glass causing half the bar to stop and stare.  It was incredible

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 10:12:29 AM »
Well played.  And anyone thinking soccer is uniquely Irish is a clown.  Though it reminds me of a good story.

I lived down the street from Declan’s in Old Town in Chicago for a few years.  And like a lot of bars, they had some younger Irish folks come to work during the summers.  Became friendly with them cause it was our local and we often started or ended there.  Well a couple of the guys came back for St Paddy’s Day cause they wanted to see crazy Americans celebrate their holiday.  Well it happened to be 2010, right after the infamous Thierry Henry handball during the France-Ireland WC qualifiers the fall before.  We’d been drinking all day, a soccer highlight comes on ESPN, I blurt out “man I love football, especially Thierry Henry, dude plays the game with such flair and CLASS”.  There was a pause and then one of the guys, Rian, launched into an expletive filled rant that was so thick with inebriated accent we could barely understand him and culminated with him spiking a pint glass causing half the bar to stop and stare.  It was incredible

I 100% believe that. I still get worked up about that BS play because it was really the last time ireland had legit international talent. (Unless you count all the U21s that continuously declare for England despite being developed by Ireland like rice and grealish)

Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 11:13:19 AM »

2. Green beer

5. "Kiss me I'm Irish"

11. People I see spouting Sinn Fein talking points because "Irish nationalism" despite voting red here and usually aren't even eligible to be citizens or even stakeholders there.

12. The first and second generation Irish Americans that make obnoxious lists putting down Americans that just want to have a good time

Mostly spot-on.  Don't forget the single most despicable and annoying American creation which is of course  drinking a "Black and Tan".  Also, please do not put the Pogues in the same category as the Pleasestopkick Murphy's. 

Happy St. Paddy's Day Galway. 

Let your heart, like thy waters, be mingled in peace.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:14:57 AM by MuggsyB »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 11:36:01 AM »

2. Green beer

5. "Kiss me I'm Irish"

Having been in Dublin for St. Patrick's day many years ago I remember an American asking an Irish guy if it was true that they had green Guinness. The Irish guy laughed but should have punched him instead.  Green beer is a sin. I did find it interesting that in the bars I met more Aussies and Kiwis of Irish heritage than actual Irish.

Also, most of the places in Ireland where one could actually find Corned Beef and Cabbage were tourist destinations. Corned Beef and Cabbage is a Jewish dish that only became associated with the Irish because many Irish immigrants lived in neighborhoods adjacent to Jewish neighborhoods in NYC and corned beef was the cheap cut of beef that was readily available in those neighborhoods. My wife and I will be having Irish bangers and mash tonight and she made some scones with currants for breakfast.

Oh and related to both 3 and 11, people who order "Irish Car Bomb" shots then wax poetically about the Troubles. I don't know about your experience in Galway, a vast majority of Irish I met mocked Americans for being more interested in the Troubles than the actual Irish. Though it turned out the father of one of my American classmates led a group that defended and funded the IRA and split off with the "Real IRA."

Oh yeah, anyone who says "everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day" as justification to get drunk and obnoxious. And any bar that has signs saying "Happy St. Patty's Day."
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2021, 11:43:40 AM »
I 100% believe that. I still get worked up about that BS play because it was really the last time ireland had legit international talent. (Unless you count all the U21s that continuously declare for England despite being developed by Ireland like rice and grealish)

The 2016 Euro Qualifiers and the Euro were a fun time.  I was watching that epic Randolph to Shane Long goal with some soccer coaches and we just started screaming and jumping up in down and people came down to our offices asking what the hell was going on. And Robby Brady's 85th minute stunner again Italy was awesome as well. Unfortunately, my wife had been laid off in April so we had to cancel our trip to France.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2021, 11:46:08 AM »
Drinking with some Irish americans on a day other than St. Patrick's day.   One guy hits his limit and suddenly becomes an Irish nationalist, frothing at the mouth and berating the rest of us for not financially supporting the IRA.   

Didn't remember any of it the next day.

Yeah, last time I drank with him.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2021, 11:54:57 AM »
Drinking with some Irish americans on a day other than St. Patrick's day.   One guy hits his limit and suddenly becomes an Irish nationalist, frothing at the mouth and berating the rest of us for not financially supporting the IRA.   

Didn't remember any of it the next day.

Yeah, last time I drank with him.

I had my 21st in Galway. At some point after many shots of whiskey (honestly, I don't know how I lived with how much I drank) I yell "F--k the IRA" and my buddies hurriedly ushered me out of the pub.

A few years later I'm at an Irish music festival and I see this scrawny kid with a tattoo of a Leprechaun holding a bomb, and the words "Up the IRA) above it. My buddy says to me "don't say anything, just walk away."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2021, 11:55:29 AM »
I do remember reading somewhere that most of the celebratory aspects of St. Patrick's Day are much more Irish-American than Irish.  Any St. Patrick's celebration in Ireland is more a west to east influence than Ireland to USA.   

feedback