collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Happy St. Patricks  (Read 4841 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: Happy St. Patricks
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2021, 12:15:57 PM »
I was under the impression that it is more of a religious holiday in Ireland.  Sort of "Easter light", with the devout attending liturgy followed by parades and such. 
Ludum habemus.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2021, 12:23:27 PM »
I was under the impression that it is more of a religious holiday in Ireland.  Sort of "Easter light", with the devout attending liturgy followed by parades and such.

My mom grew up climbing croagh patrick to attend the mountain top mass before moving here as a teen.

As Ireland's become more secular there's more youth participating. But it's hardly the homage to all things traditional culture as it is an excuse to drink and wear your county colours
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2021, 12:24:25 PM »
The 2016 Euro Qualifiers and the Euro were a fun time.  I was watching that epic Randolph to Shane Long goal with some soccer coaches and we just started screaming and jumping up in down and people came down to our offices asking what the hell was going on. And Robby Brady's 85th minute stunner again Italy was awesome as well. Unfortunately, my wife had been laid off in April so we had to cancel our trip to France.

They were a blast but I don't think of that team as having the talent to compete so much as a Cinderella team getting energy from a new manager if that makes sense.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2021, 12:33:20 PM »
Oh and related to both 3 and 11, people who order "Irish Car Bomb" shots then wax poetically about the Troubles. I don't know about your experience in Galway, a vast majority of Irish I met mocked Americans for being more interested in the Troubles than the actual Irish. Though it turned out the father of one of my American classmates led a group that defended and funded the IRA and split off with the "Real IRA."

My moms cousin (also from Mayo) visited from london for st Patrick's day right after she had an IRA car bomb blow up a half block from her work. Came here to a bunch of Americans passing around the green hat for IRA collection money and flipped out at them and not a one could understand why and kicked her out of the pub. It's this weird mindset of missing dear old Ireland that doesn't exist anymore.

I think the lyrics to Stiff Little Fingers Each Dollar a Bullet describes it best

"Oh it must be so romantic
When the fighting's over there
And they're passing round the shamrock
And you're all filled up with tears
"For the love of dear old Ireland"
That you've never even seen
You throw in twenty dollars
And sing "Wearing of the Green
Each dollar a bullet
Each victim someone's son
And Americans kill Irishmen
As surely
As if they fired the gun"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2021, 12:35:45 PM »
Mostly spot-on.  Don't forget the single most despicable and annoying American creation which is of course  drinking a "Black and Tan".  Also, please do not put the Pogues in the same category as the Pleasestopkick Murphy's. 

Happy St. Paddy's Day Galway. 

Let your heart, like thy waters, be mingled in peace.

Early Murphy's were a blast, saw them when I was in Junior High and there couldn't have been more than 75 people there. Since Warriors Code came out with Tessie and Shipping Up to Boston they've become absolute trash. Same with Flogging Molly, Float and after have been horrific albums.

Happy St Patrick's Day to you as well!
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2021, 12:53:34 PM »
Early Murphy's were a blast, saw them when I was in Junior High and there couldn't have been more than 75 people there. Since Warriors Code came out with Tessie and Shipping Up to Boston they've become absolute trash. Same with Flogging Molly, Float and after have been horrific albums.

Happy St Patrick's Day to you as well!

I'm listening to the Pogues' "Young Ned of the Hill" on a loop in the lab. 

A curse upon you Oliver Cromwell

Who raped our motherland

I hope you're rotting down in Hell

For the horrors that you sent

To our misfortune forefathers

Whom you robbed of their birthright

To Hell or Connaught!!

May you burn in Hell tonight!!

:)

Slainte!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 12:56:10 PM by MuggsyB »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2021, 01:09:32 PM »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2021, 01:13:12 PM »

it is, but starting in the late 90's the Irish Tourism Board figured they could make a crap ton of money putting on a huge parade and day of celebration in Dublin. And, it worked.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2021, 01:15:17 PM »
My moms cousin (also from Mayo) visited from london for st Patrick's day right after she had an IRA car bomb blow up a half block from her work. Came here to a bunch of Americans passing around the green hat for IRA collection money and flipped out at them and not a one could understand why and kicked her out of the pub. It's this weird mindset of missing dear old Ireland that doesn't exist anymore.

I think the lyrics to Stiff Little Fingers Each Dollar a Bullet describes it best

"Oh it must be so romantic
When the fighting's over there
And they're passing round the shamrock
And you're all filled up with tears
"For the love of dear old Ireland"
That you've never even seen
You throw in twenty dollars
And sing "Wearing of the Green
Each dollar a bullet
Each victim someone's son
And Americans kill Irishmen
As surely
As if they fired the gun"

Bono's speech starting at the 2:35 mark is epic.

"F--k the Revolution!"

Have you read Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe?  Powerful stuff about the IRA and the Troubles.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2021, 01:37:45 PM »
Bono's speech starting at the 2:35 mark is epic.

"F--k the Revolution!"

Have you read Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe?  Powerful stuff about the IRA and the Troubles.

I have not read that. I'll give it a look sometime
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2021, 01:40:45 PM »
I have not read that. I'll give it a look sometime

I learned about it as it was on President Obama's books of the year. He did not let me down.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2021, 02:08:15 PM »
I learned about it as it was on President Obama's books of the year. He did not let me down.

It’s a powerful book. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2021, 02:21:22 PM »
This is embarrassing. I'm meant to bagpipe at a pub in three hours and just tried on my kilt that I haven't worn since my mid 20s and it won't buckle... I guess I'll be piping in jeans and my hurling jersey 😂

Good thing I tried this on as I'm getting married in my kilt and better to know now than later
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2021, 02:34:29 PM »
This is embarrassing. I'm meant to bagpipe at a pub in three hours and just tried on my kilt that I haven't worn since my mid 20s and it won't buckle... I guess I'll be piping in jeans and my hurling jersey 😂

Good thing I tried this on as I'm getting married in my kilt and better to know now than later

LOL!

I wore a kilt and Irish Rugby jersey to my first day back to law school from Spring Break...which was March 17.  The primary question was "um, you wearing something underneath that?" At hooding two years later my wearing a kilt to class was brought up and professors I was asked if I was wearing it under my robe (it was not). I'm glad it was memorable!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2021, 03:08:16 PM »
2. Green beer

So I went out for St Patty's one year and left my 19-year-old roommate at home. After a day of drinking, I came home to find him passed out and my bottle of vodka was green. I didn't have food coloring, so I was confused how that happened. I woke him up and he told me he had mixed my bottle of NyQuil cough syrup into the vodka, but it was okay because "it's actually pretty good." I tried a sip and it was terrible. I mean, he was so desperate for a green alcoholic drink he had to ruin both my vodka and my cough syrup? He couldn't have mixed individual mixers of his "pretty good" VodQuil in tumbler glasses, he just HAD to combine them in the original bottle?

Most annoying roommate ever, and he never paid me back because he got arrested 2 days later and I never saw him again.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2021, 03:14:06 PM »
So I went out for St Patty's one year and left my 19-year-old roommate at home. After a day of drinking, I came home to find him passed out and my bottle of vodka was green. I didn't have food coloring, so I was confused how that happened. I woke him up and he told me he had mixed my bottle of NyQuil cough syrup into the vodka, but it was okay because "it's actually pretty good." I tried a sip and it was terrible. I mean, he was so desperate for a green alcoholic drink he had to ruin both my vodka and my cough syrup? He couldn't have mixed individual mixers of his "pretty good" VodQuil in tumbler glasses, he just HAD to combine them in the original bottle?

Most annoying roommate ever, and he never paid me back because he got arrested 2 days later and I never saw him again.

That was a wild ride.

I knew a bar in college that stocked up on green kegs for the holiday.  Then they had an electrical issue and had to close for a good 90% of the day.  Had to serve green beer for a solid week and change after

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2021, 03:15:42 PM »

That's a good way to die.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2021, 04:15:49 PM »
VodQuil

Quite the opposite effect of Red Bull/Vodka!

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2021, 05:38:46 PM »

Did you find your roommate on Craig’s list? That’s the most confusing part. Was this a completely random dude you were living with? Why?
Bring back FFP!!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2021, 06:32:55 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhP89bgAqVM

Two years in a row I'm watching these guys on St. Patricks playing live...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2021, 06:49:57 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhP89bgAqVM

Two years in a row I'm watching these guys on St. Patricks playing live...

Not who they used to be when they were still a punk band. Basically the Green Day of Celtic punk. Also Ken Casey's a dbag. My ex GF used to walk his dogs and she introduced me at their hometown throw down once. He gets ridiculously defensive when he meets an American who's more Irish that your standard south side American guy (aka him) and becomes passive aggressive.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 06:52:02 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2021, 07:21:07 PM »
Not who they used to be when they were still a punk band. Basically the Green Day of Celtic punk. Also Ken Casey's a dbag. My ex GF used to walk his dogs and she introduced me at their hometown throw down once. He gets ridiculously defensive when he meets an American who's more Irish that your standard south side American guy (aka him) and becomes passive aggressive.

Personally, I think its strange to define yourself by a country your family left generations ago.   :P

I like the band, I like the style, but I don't listen to them every day, but I threw them some cash.  I usually spend a lot on concerts every year, and zero in the last 12 months.  They've been around for a very long time, and there's something to be said for that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2021, 07:25:24 PM »
Personally, I think its strange to define yourself by a country your family left generations ago.   :P

I like the band, I like the style, but I don't listen to them every day, but I threw them some cash.  I usually spend a lot on concerts every year, and zero in the last 12 months.  They've been around for a very long time, and there's something to be said for that.

That's singular Generation buster, or a year and a half if you're going by me. After grandparents from a place then I agree it's weird :)

If you like the more hardcore Celtic punk style than the folk Celtic punk then look up flatfoot 56
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 07:40:28 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2021, 07:42:52 PM »
That's singular Generation buster. After grandparents from a place then I agree it's weird :)

If you like the more hardcore Celtic punk style than the folk Celtic punk then look up flatfoot 56

It was just a joke, but I knew you'd get it.  ;)  It'd be like me being proud of some small slice of my history from England... but wait, was I ever English?  Is it Dane?  Scot?  Pict?  Gael?  Briton?  Saxon?

What does it mean to even be of English ancestory if my family left for America in the 1600s?  Put it this way, I'm an American that can trace his roots to areas of most of Northern Europe.

Realistically, we are all a mess since records for most of history have been destroyed or are non-existant.

As for the music, I've listened to most of the stuff already posted here... and I enjoy it, but I probably drift back to it every couple of months.