[Today at 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Happy St. Patricks  (Read 4900 times)

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
Re: Happy St. Patricks
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2021, 09:30:43 PM »
I am Irish and in my adult years have avoided these celebrations like the plague.   I have never liked corned beef or day drinking.

Plus, I would go to pubs to hear Irish music the other 364 days of the year.

So, Happy St. Patrick's day.   Looking forward to the Easter COVID spike.

As Grandpa Finigan used to say "Patty's Day and New Years are for amateurs, we have the rest of the year".

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2021, 12:57:09 AM »
It was just a joke, but I knew you'd get it.  ;)  It'd be like me being proud of some small slice of my history from England... but wait, was I ever English?  Is it Dane?  Scot?  Pict?  Gael?  Briton?  Saxon?

What does it mean to even be of English ancestory if my family left for America in the 1600s?  Put it this way, I'm an American that can trace his roots to areas of most of Northern Europe.

Realistically, we are all a mess since records for most of history have been destroyed or are non-existant.

As for the music, I've listened to most of the stuff already posted here... and I enjoy it, but I probably drift back to it every couple of months.

I get what you're saying and in my head it's a pretty easy cutoff line at grandparents. Equate it to sports and it's no different than moving around the USA, I've met a friend at MU who said his grandparents were from WI and even though he was from Alaska he's packers fan, more power to him. Even my fiancé is a mad Nebraska fan because her dads from there.

Your analogy to your ancestry is accurate, that doesn't mean that people who come here and raised in a different culture aren't a part of the old nations. It's not just Irish, but I have a very similar story to mine happening with one of my fiancĂ©'s best friends with Mexico even.

As far as music goes challenge accepted:

Here's my non trad playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/52QM4qzcLciAeVMpiEA5Or?si=pPJdMEzySkeH2LOL-bV2OQ

Here's my general Celtic inspired modern music playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0EpE7OSNnNEOZi0iX6ym1X?si=nJHuIWhJSnKBGq0aFeVl9A
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2021, 05:29:15 AM »
Daughter #1 was almost a St. Patrick's Day baby.  Born 12:42am 20 years ago.
She has shamrocks in all the baby photos as the nurses had drawn them on the newborn skullcaps.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2021, 01:24:23 AM »
"Along the sidelines it was as Frank, the older and perhaps wiser of the McGuires, had said it would be: "The shanty Irish against the lace-curtain crowd." When Al heard that, he roared. "Lace!" he said. "We lived in the back of a bar where drunks interrupted dinner looking for the men's room."

https://vault.si.com/vault/1972/01/17/you-know-me-al-right-frank-and-i-hate-to-do-it

(One of the great pieces of writing ever)

feedback