Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If we don't have the money...  (Read 17406 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: If we don't have the money...
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2021, 08:42:43 PM »
None of those five would have been on Marquette’s radar. And Jans was fired at BGSU for lewd and drunk behavior.

I would argue Sampson should've been. His NCAA violations were always stupid and are not even violations any more.

Smith wasn't, but many seem to think he should be now.

Jans I don't think would've been because of his JUCO past, but the things that got him fired at BGSU would've been completely irrelevant in 2014 when he was hired at BGSU. We couldn't have held actions against him that hadn't yet happened.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2021, 08:45:13 PM »
Scoop bake sale.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2021, 08:58:20 PM »
Scoop bake sale.
You're thinking too small. Local Arby's will host a night for a nonprofit where 10% of sales go to the NP. A coordinated "Eat at Arby's" night across the country could bring in dozens of dollars.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2021, 09:04:53 PM »
None of those five would have been on Marquette’s radar. And Jans was fired at BGSU for lewd and drunk behavior.

Four of the five are squirmy

Warrior3211

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2021, 10:05:30 PM »
Howland was and is a total joke. Wojo was the right hire at the time and we need to accept that we should be gunning for the next up and comer who can keep us in the tourney year in and year out. Having said that Wojo is not that guy but it felt like he could’ve been. This was the year he had a balanced talented roster and it was nothing but uninspired on the court.

I have heard it with my own ears from Scholl that schools don’t fire coaches that make the ncaa tourney… well this coach doesn’t do that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2021, 10:37:20 PM »
We did this exercise a while ago. Of coaches MU could have conceivably hired at the time (Sampson/Pearl too dirty, Beard/C Smith too unknown), I think the only one I would say that has been definitively better is Mike White who was hired a year later at Florida. With Mizzou getting back on track, maybe Cuonzo passes Wojo. Maybe Steve Pikiell but he may have fall into the too unknown category when Wojo was hired.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2021, 10:39:21 PM »
Howland was and is a total joke. Wojo was the right hire at the time and we need to accept that we should be gunning for the next up and comer who can keep us in the tourney year in and year out. Having said that Wojo is not that guy but it felt like he could’ve been. This was the year he had a balanced talented roster and it was nothing but uninspired on the court.

I have heard it with my own ears from Scholl that schools don’t fire coaches that make the ncaa tourney… well this coach doesn’t do that.

Howland a total joke?

Yeah.  With how many Final Fours under his belt?

Did he screw up at the end at UCLA? Yeah.  A total joke? No.  That's Wojo, not Howland.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2021, 06:27:25 AM »
    I think someone asked who the best hire was that year. It's pretty obvious if you go back and look at the list...

• 1. Kelvin Sampson, Houston: After a rough start, Sampson had consistent improvement, improving over their projected kenpom ranking every year except the first, with an average improvement of 33.8 spots in the past 6 seasons. They are now a perennial top-20 team and trending toward a 2/3 seed this year. I know...Marquette wasn't going to hire someone with that baggage, but considering what Houston got out of a guy with baggage, maybe we shouldn't rule people out on the basis of past misdeeds if we want to win.
  • 2. Craig Smith, South Dakota: Hiring a Nebraska assistant wouldn't have excited many, but in 4 years at USD he averaged an 82.5 spot improvement in kenpom and he took them from a perennial sub-200 team to the top-100 before moving on to Utah State.
  • 3. Bruce Pearl, Auburn: We were never going to hire Pearl either, but Auburn had been sub-100 in 8/10 seasons before Pearl arrived. He took them to the Final Four and consistent top-35 rankings before this season.
  • 4. Chris Jans, Bowling Green: He wasn't on our radar and had obvious issues at Bowling Green, but his results at New Mexico State have been incredible. With his JUCO background, was probably exactly what Marquette was trying to get away from, but considering his issues came after this hiring cycle, might've worked out.
  • 5. Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech: Well...he probably was never coming back.
Anyone like other names better? Honestly, considering what Marquette was looking for, the crop wasn't great. Cuonzo would've been okay, but I don't think he would still be here. He wasn't running to something, he was running from something.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/hirings-and-firings-2014-college-basketball-coaching-changes/

Kelvin Sampson is a great college basketball coach.  The Indiana nonsense was just that, nonsense.  That said, Indiana wasn’t a good fit for him.  I believe this, had he come to Marquette, Marquette would have won a lot
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

panda

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2021, 06:31:10 AM »
Kelvin Sampson is a great college basketball coach.  The Indiana nonsense was just that, nonsense.  That said, Indiana wasn’t a good fit for him.  I believe this, had he come to Marquette, Marquette would have won a lot

Did he get hired away from the Bucks as an assistant to go to Houston or was there a stop in between?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2021, 06:32:50 AM »
Did he get hired away from the Bucks as an assistant to go to Houston or was there a stop in between?

He was an assistant with the Bucks for 3 years, then with the Rockets for 3 years. He also had a 5 year show cause, so he couldn't have coached in the NCAA before then.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2021, 07:28:04 AM »

What about the Oklahoma nonsense?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2021, 07:40:02 AM »
What about the Oklahoma nonsense?

The same nonsense that is no longer a violation.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2021, 07:42:59 AM »
I would argue Sampson should've been. His NCAA violations were always stupid and are not even violations any more.

They are stupid.  But he was a repeat violator of said rules and lied about breaking them to the IU AD.  There was zero chance MU was going to hire him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2021, 07:50:25 AM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2021, 08:02:04 AM »

They are stupid.  But he was a repeat violator of said rules and lied about breaking them to the IU AD.  There was zero chance MU was going to hire him.

Agree with all this.  Marquette wasn’t hiring him, so it’s a non-starter.  Houston was a perfect spot for him.  Starts over in a low pressure environment with little expectations
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2021, 12:14:25 PM »
The same nonsense that is no longer a violation.

It isn't, but that isn't what got Sampson canned. It was finding impermissible ways around his restrictions and lying about it.

Plus, the program atmosphere Sampson left was a crapshow. Ignoring multiple positive drug tests (11 or 13 guys tested positive at least one time during the season), academic disasters. There is NO WAY MU was going to hire someone like that. All they would have to do is reach out to TC to learn how the program he inherited had been run.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

panda

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2021, 12:16:53 PM »
It isn't, but that isn't what got Sampson canned. It was finding impermissible ways around his restrictions and lying about it.

Plus, the program atmosphere Sampson left was a crapshow. Ignoring multiple positive drug tests (11 or 13 guys tested positive at least one time during the season), academic disasters. There is NO WAY MU was going to hire someone like that. All they would have to do is reach out to TC to learn how the program he inherited had been run.

Yep - I think Crean kicked off almost all returning players his first year? They won like 7 games his first year  because they barely had anyone left.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2021, 12:28:56 PM »
Yep - I think Crean kicked off almost all returning players his first year? They won like 7 games his first year  because they barely had anyone left.

Only one player who returned to TC's first team had actually scored for IU: a walk-on. The only guys who didn't have a positive test were DJ White and Eric Gordon, the guys who knew they were NBA bound the next season.

There was also the potted plant incident after TC caught the kid lying.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2021, 01:07:20 PM »

Let's not forget the potted plant incident.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2021, 09:06:40 PM »
And 6 years later, it seems Sampson isn't really having any issues. Maybe they should've talked to him to see where he was at after his show cause rather than not even considering the best hire of the year.

I'm not surprised MU didn't call Sampson, but it's painfully obvious they should have and hiring him would've been an infinitely better one than the decision they made.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2021, 10:28:35 PM »
And 6 years later, it seems Sampson isn't really having any issues. Maybe they should've talked to him to see where he was at after his show cause rather than not even considering the best hire of the year.

I'm not surprised MU didn't call Sampson, but it's painfully obvious they should have and hiring him would've been an infinitely better one than the decision they made.

They won the press conference though. They got the guy with a gelled side part & a CFO's monotone speech pattern. Wonderful representative for the University, which is really all that matters.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2021, 01:26:28 AM »

Hey google "define hindsight"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2021, 05:29:02 AM »
Hey google "define hindsight"

It's a lesson that should be learned when next we go into the coaching market.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2021, 09:14:50 PM »
So I was scrolling through Buckyville to see what they were saying about Wojo.  One poster on there said he has a couple friends on the Marquette BOT, and mentioned that he’d heard Wojo’s buyout, were he to be fired this year, would be $9.3 million.  The thing is, he said it matter-of-factly, didn’t sound like he was trolling or hating on MU or anything.

For those in the know, could that be close to accurate?  If so, that is an *insane* number.

panda

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2021, 09:19:00 PM »
So I was scrolling through Buckyville to see what they were saying about Wojo.  One poster on there said he has a couple friends on the Marquette BOT, and mentioned that he’d heard Wojo’s buyout, were he to be fired this year, would be $9.3 million.  The thing is, he said it matter-of-factly, didn’t sound like he was trolling or hating on MU or anything.

For those in the know, could that be close to accurate?  If so, that is an *insane* number.

Gosh I hope not. Three years left on his 2 mil/year deal would mean it’s probably around 6ish. No inside info, but if it’s around 9 million, everyone involved with that contract needs to be let go yesterday.