Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If we don't have the money...  (Read 17400 times)

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
Re: If we don't have the money...
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2021, 10:42:32 AM »

Not quite.  They hired Wojo without Strong knowing about it.

Ok, I wasn't sure.  Thanks for clarifying.

My follow-up question is then:  How tone deaf/clueless does this admin have to be to make a hire like Wojo without giving a heads up to a major donor the size of Dick Strong?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2021, 10:59:42 AM »
Ok, I wasn't sure.  Thanks for clarifying.

My follow-up question is then:  How tone deaf/clueless does this admin have to be to make a hire like Wojo without giving a heads up to a major donor the size of Dick Strong?

Well Lovell was new - like just a couple weeks into the gig.  So someone should have told him to circle back with Strong.  Cords possibly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2021, 11:12:34 AM »

Well Lovell was new - like just a couple weeks into the gig.  So someone should have told him to circle back with Strong.  Cords possibly.

A big part was that Strong had a relationship with Lovell at UWM and pushed him for the MU job (felt the new President should know MKE, Wisconsin). And then he was cut out including the managing of MU funds.

Hitting him with his charity and business was not a formula for a successful relationship. 😂

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2021, 11:14:08 AM »
A big part was that Strong had a relationship with Lovell at UWM and pushed him for the MU job (felt the new President should know MKE, Wisconsin). And then he was cut out including the managing of MU funds.

Hitting him with his charity and business was not a formula for a successful relationship. 😂

Ah that's interesting.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2021, 11:20:45 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't this admin basically tell Dick Strong - the definition of a major supporter - to f-off when Strong indicated he did not want Wojo hired?

If so, I wonder what it will take for this admin to come around to your very logical view.

Not so. Strong was very pro-Howland. MU was not and was correct to be against him. He had massive skeletons in the closet and was...not a pleasant person to be around. There's a reason it took time for him to be hired and several high majors passed on him. Since he got to MSST he's done nothing to prove that he would have been successful here. Strong was not consulted on Wojo, which he may have taken as an "F-off", but he was only anti-Wojo in the sense that he wasn't Howland.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2021, 11:28:36 AM »
Not so. Strong was very pro-Howland. MU was not and was correct to be against him. He had massive skeletons in the closet and was...not a pleasant person to be around. There's a reason it took time for him to be hired and several high majors passed on him. Since he got to MSST he's done nothing to prove that he would have been successful here. Strong was not consulted on Wojo, which he may have taken as an "F-off", but he was only anti-Wojo in the sense that he wasn't Howland.

I believe Strong also threw his support behind Shaka. He was rumored to be on the plane to Virginia ( or supplied the plane).

I think it was smart to not go with Howland. I’m kind of curious, who would have been the best hire of that year?

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2021, 11:28:45 AM »

Here's a follow up to my we-should-have-hired-Howland comment.

Howland's first year at Miss State was 2015/2016, while Wojo was 14/15 at MU.

I'm 14/15 MU and Mississippi State had identical 13-19 records, so that year is a push.

Comparing Wojo vs. Howland when both were in place, it's close:

Wojo:. 115 - 76
Howland:. 112 - 80

But... Looking back at what each inherited, I look back to Buzz's record vs. Mississippi State's record.

Buzz:. 139 - 69 (5 NCAA bids, 2 16s, 1 Elite 8)
MSU:. 122 - 100 (1 NCAA bid - in Buzz's first year at MU, 2 NITs)

Howland inherited a MUCH weaker program than Wojo.  It isn't even close.  Buzz missed the NCAAs once in six years. MSU made it once in six years.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2021, 11:37:27 AM »

As to Howland's skeletons, please don't think that we are immune to that at MU.  We just got lucky that some of the big ones happened in a different era.

Before I go on, I do not KNOW the following is truthful and if it is, how accurate the story is.  I DO know that the person I heard it from many years ago was:  1) a very high integrity individual, 2) not prone to hyperbole, and 3) well-respected and connected in the MU community.

With that out of the way...

Back in early '70s during Maurice Lucas' time at MU, apparently someone made the terrible mistake of using the "N"-word to Maurice.

Maurice responded as one would expect, not well.  The person who committed the offense found himself being held by his ankles out a window at McCormick Hall (I think it was McCormick but I cannot recall that detail).  The police were called and the police then called Al, who took care of it and smoothed things out.

Just out of curiosity, if that had happened at the same time that Howland had his issues at UCLA, do you think Al may have had some negative PR blowback?   Could it perhaps qualify as a "skeleton"?

I am not absolving Howland for letting the inmates run the asylum at UCLA but I said then and I say now that anyone can make a mistake.  And that mistake can either define them or lead them to do it better if given another chance.

Howland wanted to be here and - consistent with Jesuit teachings - should have been eligible for redemption.  Add in the fact that the guy has an enviable record of success, I felt than and feel now that he was a better risk than Wojo.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2021, 11:44:29 AM »
As to Howland's skeletons, please don't think that we are immune to that at MU.  We just got lucky that some of the big ones happened in a different era.

Before I go on, I do not KNOW the following is truthful and if it is, how accurate the story is.  I DO know that the person I heard it from many years ago was:  1) a very high integrity individual, 2) not prone to hyperbole, and 3) well-respected and connected in the MU community.

With that out of the way...

Back in early '70s during Maurice Lucas' time at MU, apparently someone made the terrible mistake of using the "N"-word to Maurice.

Maurice responded as one would expect, not well.  The person who committed the offense found himself being held by his ankles out a window at McCormick Hall (I think it was McCormick but I cannot recall that detail).  The police were called and the police then called Al, who took care of it and smoothed things out.

Just out of curiosity, if that had happened at the same time that Howland had his issues at UCLA, do you think Al may have had some negative PR blowback?   Could it perhaps qualify as a "skeleton"?

I am not absolving Howland for letting the inmates run the asylum at UCLA but I said then and I say now that anyone can make a mistake.  And that mistake can either define them or lead them to do it better if given another chance.

Howland wanted to be here and - consistent with Jesuit teachings - should have been eligible for redemption.  Add in the fact that the guy has an enviable record of success, I felt than and feel now that he was a better risk than Wojo.

In 2014, MU was looking for the exact opposite of Buzz.  Howland, after that damning Sports Illustrated article, was simply too close to Buzz.  That was the end of it for him, full stop.

For what it’s worth, I would’ve rather had Howland, and wanted him after we missed on Shaka.  But it was never going to happen.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2021, 12:32:58 PM »
In 2014, MU was looking for the exact opposite of Buzz.  Howland, after that damning Sports Illustrated article, was simply too close to Buzz.  That was the end of it for him, full stop.

For what it’s worth, I would’ve rather had Howland, and wanted him after we missed on Shaka.  But it was never going to happen.

I agree with this. Wojo was unproven but spotless
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2021, 01:07:52 PM »
Here's a follow up to my we-should-have-hired-Howland comment.

Howland's first year at Miss State was 2015/2016, while Wojo was 14/15 at MU.

I'm 14/15 MU and Mississippi State had identical 13-19 records, so that year is a push.

Comparing Wojo vs. Howland when both were in place, it's close:

Wojo:. 115 - 76
Howland:. 112 - 80

But... Looking back at what each inherited, I look back to Buzz's record vs. Mississippi State's record.

Buzz:. 139 - 69 (5 NCAA bids, 2 16s, 1 Elite 8)
MSU:. 122 - 100 (1 NCAA bid - in Buzz's first year at MU, 2 NITs)

Howland inherited a MUCH weaker program than Wojo.  It isn't even close.  Buzz missed the NCAAs once in six years. MSU made it once in six years.

How is 3 NCAAT appearances (Wojo) and 1 NCAAT appearance (Howland) "close"?
TAMU

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2021, 01:08:31 PM »
How is 3 NCAAT appearances (Wojo) and 1 NCAAT appearance (Howland) "close"?

Wojo doesn’t have 3 NCAA appearances
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2021, 01:12:50 PM »

If Al had been coaching in the 2010s (when Howland had his issues at UCLA), he would have been fired for some of the things that happened. Tackling Lloyd Walton in the locker room at the '74 Final Four? Exchanging punches with Bernard Toone?

I love Al and his legacy as much as anyone, but there is no way his style would have worked in this millennium.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2021, 01:13:48 PM »

Yeah, I don’t know where he got that number from.  Wojo has two NCAA appearances.  Those are the facts, not some number that was thrown out there based on emotion.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2021, 01:14:52 PM »
The Maurice Lucas story is/was fairly well known.   Doesn't mean it is true.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2021, 01:17:44 PM »
Reposted below.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 01:44:12 PM by f/k/a humanlung »

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2021, 01:20:33 PM »
Yeah, I don’t know where he got that number from.  Wojo has two NCAA appearances.  Those are the facts, not some number that was thrown out there based on emotion.

Some people here like to give him credit for last year but the fact is we closed the regular season with six losses in seven games. We likely would’ve laid an egg in the big East tourney. That, in addition to any bid stealers, would’ve put us in a similar position as the 2018 March madness, 18-13 and on the bubble. We were certainly NOT a lock.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2021, 01:21:28 PM »

Sigh.

Wojo has 2 NCAAT appearances and was considered a stone cold lock for a third NCAAT appearance, appearing in 100% of over 100 bracketologists projections prior to the NCAAT being cancelled by a global pandemic.

Do you see why someone might shorthand that to "3 NCAAT appearances" when everyone knows what is meant by it?
TAMU

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2021, 01:23:48 PM »
Are we arguing that Mississippi state is on the same level as Marquette?  Come on man.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2021, 01:24:27 PM »
Since we can't count the 2020 season as an NCAA Tournament appearance, at least we can celebrate the fact that Wojo has tied for the longest streak of most straight NCAA Tournament appearances in the country until Sunday.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2021, 01:26:43 PM »
"Close" referred to the won/loss record that I put immediately below that statement.

What relevance does overall W-L record have if the teams played completely different levels of schedules?
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2021, 01:39:13 PM »
Some people here like to give him credit for last year

Because he was the coach last year and the team played a full regular season and did more than enough to earn at an large bid.

but the fact is we closed the regular season with six losses in seven games.

Which isn't a factor considered by the selection committee

We likely would’ve laid an egg in the big East tourney.

So we're not allowed to say that we were a lock for the NCAAT when its backed up by facts, but we are allowed to assume the outcome of a game that was never played.

That, in addition to any bid stealers

It would have taken at least 7 bid-stealers out of a possible 9. Literally has never happened.

would’ve put us in a similar position as the 2018 March madness, 18-13 and on the bubble. We were certainly NOT a lock.

Only if you don't understand how NCAAT selection works.
TAMU

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2021, 01:43:33 PM »
Repost.

"Close" referred to the won/loss record that I put immediately below that statement.

We could also look at progress:

MU

2015/2016:  20-13, no post season
2016/2017:  19-13, NCAA 1st round loss (20 point loss to South Carolina)
2017/2018:  21-14, NIT quarters
2018/2019:  24-10, NCAA 1st round loss (19 point loss to Murray State)
2019/2020:  18-12, T6th in BE
2020/2021:  13-14, 8th in BE, 1st round BET loss, no post season

Mississippi State

2015/2016:  14-17, no post season
2016/2017:  16-16, no post season
2017/2018:  25-12, NIT semis
2018/2019:  23-11, NCAA 1st round loss (4pt loss to Liberty)
2019/2020:  20-11, T4th in SEC
2020/2021:  14-13, 9th in SEC, advanced to 2nd round of SEC tournament

Wojo beats Howland in NCAA bids, 2-1 (but considering MU's performance, I do not know if this is a good thing).

As far as trajectory, I would take Mississippi State over MU - especially considering the respective starting points.  As I posted previously, Wojo inherited a program that had been to the NCAAs in five of the prior six year, while Howland walked into one with one NCAA bid in the last six years (and that bid was six years prior to his arrival).

The W/L records are close but Howland has a lot tougher climb than Wojo.  In terms of post season, I will take any bet that you want to make regarding post-season success over whatever time period you want to cover.
[/quote]

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2021, 01:45:25 PM »
Sigh.

Wojo has 2 NCAAT appearances and was considered a stone cold lock for a third NCAAT appearance, appearing in 100% of over 100 bracketologists projections prior to the NCAAT being cancelled by a global pandemic.

Do you see why someone might shorthand that to "3 NCAAT appearances" when everyone knows what is meant by it?

Why stop there?

Woo hoo!  We won another NCAA Championship!

Congrats everyone!!!!  We are Marquette!!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2021, 01:46:41 PM »
Why stop there?

Woo hoo!  We won another NCAA Championship!

Congrats everyone!!!!  We are Marquette!!!

That's not backed up by facts. Us making the tournament is.
TAMU

feedback