Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If we don't have the money...  (Read 17401 times)

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
Re: If we don't have the money...
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2021, 06:34:12 PM »
Am I happy with Wojo now?
NOPE.

But howland? If you wanted him then you’re a clown. 🤡🤡🤡🤡

I guess I'm a clown.  If I recall, he was one of a handful of names being thrown around and aside from the #donedeal, Howland was the only one of them with a proven ability to win in March.  Our program would be years ahead of where it is now had we gone with him, IMO.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

fjm

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2021, 06:39:33 PM »
I guess I'm a clown.  If I recall, he was one of a handful of names being thrown around and aside from the #donedeal, Howland was the only one of them with a proven ability to win in March.  Our program would be years ahead of where it is now had we gone with him, IMO.

I’m gonna guess you haven’t looked into howland and his Mississippi state team and record?

“Years ahead” hey?

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2021, 06:44:52 PM »
I’m gonna guess you haven’t looked into howland and his Mississippi state team and record?

“Years ahead” hey?

His record at Miss. St. has been similar to Wojo's at Marquette.  I imagine he'd be doing better given our schools commitment to and focus on bball.  The records are at least similar.  Hindsights 20/20, but moving forward, if the option is an unproven coach vs. one with a history of success (6 conference championships in 14 Big East/Pac12 seasons), sign me up for Howland all day.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2021, 06:58:32 PM »

Howland carried baggage from UCLA that MU, rightfully, didn't want to deal with.  That's why he's at a program like Mississippi State.

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/02/29/ucla
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--losing--off-court-issues-justifiably-lead-to-firings-of-ben-howland--tubby-smith-000403175.html
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2021, 07:01:37 PM »
Howland?

C'mon.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2021, 07:39:57 PM »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2021, 07:45:12 PM »
The game ended around 4 pm. If MU gave a chit about men's basketball, Wojo would have been terminated by now, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2021, 08:08:55 PM »
Here's a follow up to my we-should-have-hired-Howland comment.

Howland's first year at Miss State was 2015/2016, while Wojo was 14/15 at MU.

I'm 14/15 MU and Mississippi State had identical 13-19 records, so that year is a push.

Comparing Wojo vs. Howland when both were in place, it's close:

Wojo:. 115 - 76
Howland:. 112 - 80

But... Looking back at what each inherited, I look back to Buzz's record vs. Mississippi State's record.

Buzz:. 139 - 69 (5 NCAA bids, 2 16s, 1 Elite 8)
MSU:. 122 - 100 (1 NCAA bid - in Buzz's first year at MU, 2 NITs)

Howland inherited a MUCH weaker program than Wojo.  It isn't even close.  Buzz missed the NCAAs once in six years. MSU made it once in six years.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2021, 08:56:47 PM »
4ever

I went out to dinner with my 70y sister for the first time in a year and has my fingers crossed he was canned. If they gave a fxxk he would be gone within 24 hours.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2021, 09:09:56 PM »
MU doesn't operate that way.

5:00 Friday news dump, baby.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2021, 09:48:39 PM »
MU doesn't operate that way.

5:00 Friday news dump, baby.

I'm a patient guy. I can wait till then.

Here's hoping.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2021, 10:05:44 PM »
The game ended around 4 pm. If MU gave a chit about men's basketball, Wojo would have been terminated by now, hey?

They should make him canoe the Erie canal from MSG through the chain of Great Lakes back to Milwaukee in homage to Jacques Marquette if he wants a chance to keep his job. Then they should fire him the second he steps foot back on campus. It would be a good prank.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2021, 10:06:56 PM »
They should make him canoe the Erie canal from MSG through the chain of Great Lakes back to Milwaukee in homage to Jacques Marquette if he wants a chance to keep his job. Then they should fire him the second he steps foot back on campus. It would be a good prank.

Why let him get out of the canoe?

Don't they have bullhorns in Milwaukee any more?

burger

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2021, 10:09:18 PM »
The university should have bought BitCoin a year ago at 5000....

Bought some for my kids 401k's......Now they think I am cool.....

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2021, 10:33:10 PM »
Here's a follow up to my we-should-have-hired-Howland comment.

Howland's first year at Miss State was 2015/2016, while Wojo was 14/15 at MU.

I'm 14/15 MU and Mississippi State had identical 13-19 records, so that year is a push.

Comparing Wojo vs. Howland when both were in place, it's close:

Wojo:. 115 - 76
Howland:. 112 - 80

But... Looking back at what each inherited, I look back to Buzz's record vs. Mississippi State's record.

Buzz:. 139 - 69 (5 NCAA bids, 2 16s, 1 Elite 8)
MSU:. 122 - 100 (1 NCAA bid - in Buzz's first year at MU, 2 NITs)

Howland inherited a MUCH weaker program than Wojo.  It isn't even close.  Buzz missed the NCAAs once in six years. MSU made it once in six years.
Random Thoughts. Beilein would be my choice. But I heard Mr Strong liked Howland when we hired Wojo. Talked with Howland at the Final Four in 2003. He was leaving PITT for UCLA. He asked me about Crean. I told him Tom is staying we love him at Marquette. Buzz has had two nothing years at Texas AandM. Thoughts on how Buzz will do next year

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2021, 10:39:45 PM »
Random Thoughts. Beilein would be my choice. But I heard Mr Strong liked Howland when we hired Wojo. Talked with Howland at the Final Four in 2003. He was leaving PITT for UCLA. He asked me about Crean. I told him Tom is staying we love him at Marquette. Buzz has had two nothing years at Texas AandM. Thoughts on how Buzz will do next year

It seems that Buzz had improved every program he's coached.  Some quickly, some seem to take a couple years.

If I had two bet money, is put it on Buzz making A&M much better.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2021, 06:26:50 AM »
I think Lovell is a disaster

He came from UWM / does not care about what hoops means to MU
100%

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2021, 06:46:40 AM »
4ever

I went out to dinner with my 70y sister for the first time in a year and has my fingers crossed he was canned. If they gave a fxxk he would be gone within 24 hours.

The University just can't seem to think like a business thinks. The question that begs to be asked is why was Woj continually given contract extensions? Seems like like the powers that be peed down their legs, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2021, 06:51:09 AM »
I've never donated to the university. I would to get Wojo fired.

Besides my outrageously overpriced education, I’ve never donated to the university either. Don’t plan to until the only thing that keeps me interested in the school (the basketball program) returns to some respectability. It’s a joke right now.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2021, 07:45:31 AM »
Is there anyone the ordinary fan can make a difference? Has anyone ever gotten a response from an email, letter, or phone call? Would they even matter?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2021, 07:57:45 AM »

The University just can't seem to think like a business thinks. The question that begs to be asked is why was Woj continually given contract extensions? Seems like like the powers that be peed down their legs, hey?

Interesting comment Doc. At the top levels, the public image of  university presidents is that of administrators/academics above the fray of business, yet their primary responsibilities are business management and fund raising. I think you have described the problem with Lovell. The basketball program is business, is important to many who donate, and is a factor that prospective students consider when applying. Those applicants are potential business. They are potential income.

I need to balance this by saying that Marquette is much more than a business. Lovell's goals of first-in-family college graduates and Marquette's Jesuit traditions and goals are at the heart of Marquette under Lovell or any other president. If he cannot understand the importance of bball's money and marketing presence in making Marquette be all it can be, then he is failing on the business  side of the big picture.

Our best hope that some major donors who really understand business step in and insist that he clean up the Wojo fiasco. Let's hope they start by offering to help out with Wojo's buyout. I no longer think he can find a comparable job anywhere, so the possibility of his leaving on his own is becoming very unlikely.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2021, 08:05:41 AM »
His record at Miss. St. has been similar to Wojo's at Marquette.  I imagine he'd be doing better given our schools commitment to and focus on bball.  The records are at least similar.  Hindsights 20/20, but moving forward, if the option is an unproven coach vs. one with a history of success (6 conference championships in 14 Big East/Pac12 seasons), sign me up for Howland all day.

IMO Howland has been worse. You can make a better example than this.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2021, 08:30:20 AM »

Marquette needs much better leadership at the top. It all starts there.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2021, 10:37:24 AM »
Interesting comment Doc. At the top levels, the public image of  university presidents is that of administrators/academics above the fray of business, yet their primary responsibilities are business management and fund raising. I think you have described the problem with Lovell. The basketball program is business, is important to many who donate, and is a factor that prospective students consider when applying. Those applicants are potential business. They are potential income.

I need to balance this by saying that Marquette is much more than a business. Lovell's goals of first-in-family college graduates and Marquette's Jesuit traditions and goals are at the heart of Marquette under Lovell or any other president. If he cannot understand the importance of bball's money and marketing presence in making Marquette be all it can be, then he is failing on the business  side of the big picture.

Our best hope that some major donors who really understand business step in and insist that he clean up the Wojo fiasco. Let's hope they start by offering to help out with Wojo's buyout. I no longer think he can find a comparable job anywhere, so the possibility of his leaving on his own is becoming very unlikely.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't this admin basically tell Dick Strong - the definition of a major supporter - to f-off when Strong indicated he did not want Wojo hired?

If so, I wonder what it will take for this admin to come around to your very logical view.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2021, 10:39:35 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't this admin basically tell Dick Strong - the definition of a major supporter - to f-off when Strong indicated he did not want Wojo hired?

Not quite.  They hired Wojo without Strong knowing about it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback