[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East NCAA Tournament Thread 20-21 Season  (Read 42342 times)

Boone

• All American
Re: Big East Tournament Thread 20-21 Season
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2021, 08:13:35 PM »
Buster 'only' had to floor Iron Mike in one fight. Wojo has to do the basketball equivalent 4 times. Ain't happening

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2021, 09:39:25 PM »
Buster 'only' had to floor Iron Mike in one fight. Wojo has to do the basketball equivalent 4 times. Ain't happening

MU only needs one KO- Nova or UCONN. We can beat the rest.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2021, 07:57:28 AM »
KO took down Kentucky. Wee got Wojo now. Ain't happenin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2021, 07:59:07 AM »
Who was the coach when we took down #1 Nova?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2021, 09:08:11 AM »

Should have paid KO more
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2021, 09:34:12 AM »
Eh, personally I don't care about conference standings in a normal year. I really don't care in a year where the teams are playing unbalanced schedules. We didn't get to play Georgetown at home, the 2nd or 3rd easiest game on the schedule (though fully admit that easy games aren't necessarily a layup for us). Three of the four teams directly ahead of us in the standings will finish the season with less conference games played than we did, including X who completely avoided Villanova. Add in the fact that when all is said and done, we will likely finish 1 game back of 5th place, I don't think the conference standings really tell you a complete picture.

What I do care about is that we will finish nowhere near the bubble in a year that we should have been able to earn an at large bid given the roster assembled.

Yep.  Well said.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2021, 11:02:24 AM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2021, 11:09:26 AM »

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2021, 12:13:13 PM »
The 16 of the 32 possible outcomes of today’s BE games that involved Georgetown beating UConn can be crossed off the board.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 12:52:17 PM by wisblue »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2021, 12:14:09 PM »
The 16 of the 32 possible outcomes of today’s BE games than involved Georgetown beating UConn can be crossed off the board.

Hah, they probably could have been crossed off before we crossed off "MU wins the BET".

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2021, 01:30:16 PM »
Big East Tournament Odds. MU at 66/1... 8-)

https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/big-east-tournament-predictions-odds/

So, those 66-1 odds translate into roughly a 1.6% chance of winning.

Even at those odds that would be a bad bet.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2021, 01:57:00 PM »
Blue, the BEast and ACC tourneys look wide open to me.  I'm not saying we're likely win two games, let alone run the table, but the odds are a lot better than 1/66.  ND beat FSU today.  I really don't care what anyone says,, the opportunity is there.  Obviously, UCONN looks to have found their gear but if we put together two solid performances anything can happen in the SF.  Nova is  a different team without Gillespie, Creighton is  dealing with significant turmoil.  The MU team that ran UNC out the gym absolutely can be a factor in the BET.  The question is whether we can find any consistency for more than a game and if Wojo figures out how we can break ball pressure.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2021, 02:01:06 PM »
Who was the coach when we took down #1 Nova?

Not allowed to ask that. Every good win we've had since 2014 was DESPITE Wojo. And every loss was BECAUSE OF Wojo. Learn the rules!

One thing this season should have taught all college basketball fans is that aside from the top half-dozen or so teams, anybody is extremely beatable. And that includes Nova without Gillespie.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2021, 02:50:41 PM »
Blue, the BEast and ACC tourneys look wide open to me.  I'm not saying we're likely win two games, let alone run the table, but the odds are a lot better than 1/66.  ND beat FSU today.  I really don't care what anyone says,, the opportunity is there.  Obviously, UCONN looks to have found their gear but if we put together two solid performances anything can happen in the SF.  Nova is  a different team without Gillespie, Creighton is  dealing with significant turmoil.  The MU team that ran UNC out the gym absolutely can be a factor in the BET.  The question is whether we can find any consistency for more than a game and if Wojo figures out how we can break ball pressure.

We’ve had 23 chances to win 3 games in a row. We’ve done it 0 times. We’d need to win not just 3 games in a row for the first time all year, but also a fourth. The chances are not a lot better than a 1/66 chance.

Yes, MU beat UNC. Yes, Notre Dame beat Florida State. That’s 1 good performance out of one opportunity. That is certainly possible. Four good performances with only four opportunities? Not happening.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2021, 03:05:55 PM »
We’ve had 23 chances to win 3 games in a row. We’ve done it 0 times. We’d need to win not just 3 games in a row for the first time all year, but also a fourth. The chances are not a lot better than a 1/66 chance.

Yes, MU beat UNC. Yes, Notre Dame beat Florida State. That’s 1 good performance out of one opportunity. That is certainly possible. Four good performances with only four opportunities? Not happening.

You're right that it's very unlikely but if Moore and Gillespie are out?  I guess what you're saying is that it's inconceivable we catch lightning in a bottle?  I understand...perhaps I am overshooting.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2021, 03:22:38 PM »
You're right that it's very unlikely but if Moore and Gillespie are out?  I guess what you're saying is that it's inconceivable we catch lightning in a bottle?  I understand...perhaps I am overshooting.

Yes, pretty inconceivable. We weren’t playing a schedule full of fully healthy Nova and not in turmoil Creighton. We had a stretch of Georgetown, UCONN, Providence, St. John’s, DePaul, Providence, St. John’s, Butler and could not win 3 in a row. The three prior games to that was also Seton Hall, Xavier, Nova.

This team has shown absolutely no ability to string together multiple games of quality play. The idea that we’re suddenly going to do it 4 times in 4 games is pretty inconceivable to me. I mean, I think you even started a thread asking what single game we would win the rest of the season about two weeks ago. Meaning you didn’t think we’d beat any of Butler, DePaul, or Xavier, and then one of the bottom 4 teams in the first round of the BET. Now you think we have a “puncher’s chance” to beat, say, Butler, then Creighton, then UCONN, then either Nova or Seton Hall in consecutive games?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2021, 03:27:26 PM »
Yes, pretty inconceivable. We weren’t playing a schedule full of fully healthy Nova and not in turmoil Creighton. We had a stretch of Georgetown, UCONN, Providence, St. John’s, DePaul, Providence, St. John’s, Butler and could not win 3 in a row. The three prior games to that was also Seton Hall, Xavier, Nova.

This team has shown absolutely no ability to string together multiple games of quality play. The idea that we’re suddenly going to do it 4 times in 4 games is pretty inconceivable to me. I mean, I think you even started a thread asking what single game we would win the rest of the season about two weeks ago. Meaning you didn’t think we’d beat any of Butler, DePaul, or Xavier, and then one of the bottom 4 teams in the first round of the BET. Now you think we have a “puncher’s chance” to beat, say, Butler, then Creighton, then UCONN, then either Nova or Seton Hall in consecutive games?

Fair enough.  I just think everyone is vulnerable.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2021, 04:11:59 PM »

Well, these are kids and things can click for them and a team when nobody expects as much. I love DJs play the last few games (maybe 3s start falling, too), Garcia has found his stride, and Lewis has a few games under his belt after his injury...to say nothing of the Elliott revelation and Cain’s overall competence. I’ll believe because of the above and why not?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2021, 04:24:16 PM »
I don't think we're gonna win 4 straight either. No sane person would think that.

But we can win our first. And then our second. And then maybe our third. And then perhaps our fourth.

I'll worry about any of the latter 3 after we get the first one. Which we might not.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2021, 05:08:09 PM »
Unfortunate there are no fans at the BET this year. Would have been a lot of fun in a year with so many teams in a position to win a couple in a row.
            ---Al McGuire

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2021, 05:33:10 PM »
I don't think we're gonna win 4 straight either. No sane person would think that.

But we can win our first. And then our second. And then maybe our third. And then perhaps our fourth.

I'll worry about any of the latter 3 after we get the first one. Which we might not.

That’s the only way to look at it.

With Creighton rolling over Butler, MUs situation is straightforward:

Win tonight and get the 9 seed vs 8 seed Georgetown.

Lose tonight and get the 10 seed vs 7 seed Providence.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 05:35:37 PM by wisblue »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2021, 05:52:59 PM »
Justin Moore of Villanova with severe sprain ankle

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31017087/villanova-justin-moore-suffers-sprained-ankle-vs-providence

Creighton comfortably ahead of Butler .  So seems like they are getting their focus back on basketball.

---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2021, 06:47:19 PM »
As noted above, win tonight and we get on the top side with Georgetown and a depleted Nova. Georgetown is not a bad matchup for us and IMO is preferable to Providence. Win that one and you get to roll the dice vs Nova sans Moore and Gillespie. Semifinal against SHU or SJU.

I doubt MU makes a run but if they can win tonight they get as ideal of a setup as you could wish for.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2021, 06:51:34 PM »
As noted above, win tonight and we get on the top side with Georgetown and a depleted Nova. Georgetown is not a bad matchup for us and IMO is preferable to Providence. Win that one and you get to roll the dice vs Nova sans Moore and Gillespie. Semifinal against SHU or SJU.

I doubt MU makes a run but if they can win tonight they get as ideal of a setup as you could wish for.

Exactly.  Tonight will tell us a lot.  Hopefully we show up.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2021, 07:47:42 PM »

A win tonight gives MU the best possible chance to make a big east tournament run (albeit a small one). That said, I’m more expecting them to just crap the bed tonight which would give them a much harder route.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 07:49:43 PM by CountryRoads »

feedback