'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Personal Pride  (Read 6512 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Personal Pride
« on: February 27, 2021, 04:01:24 PM »
I was just wondering about Wojo.

I don't know that much about him. I know nothing about his family, such as how many kids he has or how far they are along in their educations.

I don't even know the ins and outs of his salary, contract with MU, buyout or whatever. I do know that he has already made a significant amount of money in his gig as MU head coach.

I do know that he was a highly competitive athlete, a successful one, and one who knew when he had done a good job and when he had not.

There are posters who are much more closely attuned to what the MU BOT are thinking than I.
Their input is that since Wojo has run a "clean" program with no off-court issues, that he is the boy wonder, and safely ensconced in his seat.

My question is: would Wojo, a successful competitor elsewhere, and an apparently honorable man, tell the BOT that he has not succeeded to the degree that his compensation warrants, and that he feels he should step down. Or does he have the conscience and accountability of a postal worker or a public school teacher and keep taking the money while not performing? Or is the money just too much?

Johnny B

• All American
Re: Personal Pride
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 04:04:04 PM »
no sane person is walking away from that money

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 04:04:14 PM »
My question is: would Wojo, a successful competitor elsewhere, and an apparently honorable man, tell the BOT that he has not succeeded to the degree that his compensation warrants, and that he feels he should step down. Or does he have the conscience and accountability of a postal worker or a public school teacher and keep taking the money while not performing? Or is the money just too much?

No coach would to that today. The money is just too much and it would not be well received among the "fraternity" of college coaches, who would punish him for his acquiescence.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 04:04:49 PM »
The country club won’t pay for itself

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 04:05:25 PM »
That's never going to happen unless he's booked another gig, and likely not then either. These dudes have enormous egos and he can likely point to several reasons, not of his doing, why he crapped the bed. Besides, money talks and bullchit walks, aina?

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

panda

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 04:05:49 PM »
I do think there’s a strong possibility he walks.

Walks to another job.

He will have zero job security at this point and further disappointment will hurt his future employability.

Finding a new job this off-season will give him far more job security than he will ever have at MU again.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 04:08:22 PM »

.Or does he have the conscience and accountability of a postal worker or a public school teacher and keep taking the money while not performing? Or is the money just too much?

Wrong comp.   Think average CEO and golden parachute.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 04:19:10 PM »
no sane person is walking away from that money

No sane husband is telling his wife he’s walking away from that money.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 04:22:17 PM »
The BOT only cares about a clean program trope is a myth. Lots of concerns about the state of mubb.

Wojo is a competitive athlete. Which means he will fight tooth and nail to prove that he can win here. He's not leaving until fired or he can call his time here a win. Former a lot more likely than the latter
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 04:23:25 PM »
he can likely point to several reasons, not of his doing, why he crapped the bed.

This.  It’s not Wojo’s fault for not winning.  It’s our fault for not understanding what he’s trying to do.  If we would all just really look closely at the situation, really look around the landscape of college basketball to see what was going on, we’d understand what a great job Wojo is doing here.  All of our misfortunes have been caused by poorly timed injuries and bad luck, and if you could only understand that he can’t recruit the types of players other schools go after because MU’s standards are stricter than that, well, when you think about it our record is pretty remarkable given all those restrictions and injuries and bad luck, and Wojo, now that you mention it, really has done a fantastic job here.  We just can’t see it, and that’s on us.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 04:23:52 PM »
I think in his own world he views what he's done as a success (with a few bumps along the way). EG, 2 tournament appearances, coached Howard, ranked for a bit, beat #1 Nova, etc.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 04:24:15 PM »
I guess you're right, guys. My father used to tell me that people were letting money affect their decisions.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 04:24:48 PM »
I do think there’s a strong possibility he walks.

Walks to another job.

He will have zero job security at this point and further disappointment will hurt his future employability.

Finding a new job this off-season will give him far more job security than he will ever have at MU again.

I really think the stayover at Duke was, in part, so that Wojo and Coach K could meet face to face under the radar. Wojo knows that he can talk to Coach K in total confidence but also get honest suggestions about how to salvage his career.

I agree that even though he deserves to be fired, he will not be but I really believe thin-skinned Wojo is preparing to leave.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 04:33:21 PM »
I really think the stayover at Duke was, in part, so that Wojo and Coach K could meet face to face under the radar. Wojo knows that he can talk to Coach K in total confidence but also get honest suggestions about how to salvage his career.

I agree that even though he deserves to be fired, he will not be but I really believe thin-skinned Wojo is preparing to leave.

Or he could have just called him on the phone.

The idea that MU set up this trip so Wojo could talk face to face with K is...interesting.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 04:33:49 PM »

I don't know that much about him. I know nothing about his family, such as how many kids he has or how far they are along in their educations.

I don't even know the ins and outs of his salary, contract with MU, buyout or whatever. I do know that he has already made a significant amount of money in his gig as MU head coach.

I do know that he was a highly competitive athlete, a successful one, and one who knew when he had done a good job and when he had not.

There are posters who are much more closely attuned to what the MU BOT are thinking than I.
Their input is that since Wojo has run a "clean" program with no off-court issues, that he is the boy wonder, and safely ensconced in his seat.

Postal Workers and Public School teachers don't perform? Is this parody?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 04:34:07 PM »

The idea that MU set up this trip so Wojo could talk face to face with K is...interesting.

There’s even this thing called “FaceTime.”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 04:58:19 PM »

You missed "in part" but yes, he could simply phone him. When people make big decisions or are trying to decide how to handle major failures in life (or career), face to face meetings trump phone calls big time.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 05:01:47 PM »
You missed "in part" but yes, he could simply phone him. When people make big decisions or are trying to decide how to handle major failures in life (or career), face to face meetings trump phone calls big time.

Of course MU didn’t play UNC just so Wojo could have a face to face with K.  But it wouldn’t surprise me if, since Wojo happened to be there, they had an extended chat behind closed doors at some point.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2021, 05:02:54 PM »
Of course MU didn’t play UNC just so Wojo could have a face to face with K.  But it wouldn’t surprise me if, since Wojo happened to be there, they had an extended chat behind closed doors at some point.

I hope they were wearing masks and the door was open.

Mediocrity Embraced

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 05:27:10 PM »
Gotta get that virtue signal mask wearing in.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2021, 05:32:38 PM »
Gotta get that virtue signal mask wearing in.

Huh?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2021, 06:06:31 PM »

OK, last try. "Stayover at Duke", not the UNC game. I try to carefully choose my words so that I am clear.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2021, 06:22:34 PM »
There’s even this thing called “FaceTime.”

Or for a guy making $$$$$$, a quick overnight trip to Durham alone during what woulda been a 10-day layoff.

They scheduled the UNC game to play UNC. Nothing less, nothing more.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2021, 06:45:53 PM »

Nobody has any idea what people on the Board think about Wojo or the program.  Because they post anonymously about something doesn't make them "in the know".

Nobody here knows if the board is happy or pissed off about the status of the program.  So relax, and let's wait and see what happens in 6 weeks.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2021, 06:48:01 PM »

Is it a possible that he isn't a quitter, and he believes in himself  and he thinks he has the ability to turn things around.

If he did what you suggest, everyone here would say they wouldn't want him since he was a quitter.