Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Realistic tourney chances  (Read 3584 times)

THEbig0

• Scholarship Player
Realistic tourney chances
« on: February 25, 2021, 10:45:39 AM »
Okay, I know this has been discussed but starting a specific threat.  Someone smarter than me can breakdown what our realistic chances are. I put some scenarios below and filled in the only obvious one!  Okay..maybe the few obvious ones.  Probably missed some scearios too.

Win BET Tourney:  Locked in
Win Out and 3 Games at BET
Win Out and 2 Games at BET: :
Win Out and 1 BET Game:  :
2-3 and 3 Games at BEG:
2-3 (loss to Xavier) and 2 Games at BEG:
2-3 (loss to UCONN) and 2 Games at BEG:
Anything Else: Out

« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:49:08 AM by THEbig0 »

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
Re: Realistic tourney chances
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 10:46:55 AM »
Slim to none....

BET Chip is only path
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 10:50:50 AM »

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 10:56:03 AM »
If you use this tool to run some Win/Loss simulations, not likely even if we win our regular season and win 1 BET game: https://barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?rank=63&team=Marquette

In that scenario, we would still only be the 11st best "First Teams Out."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 10:58:02 AM »
Slim to none....

BET Chip is only path

The former is true, the latter is not.

If you use this tool to run some Win/Loss simulations, not likely even if we win our regular season and win 1 BET game: https://barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?rank=63&team=Marquette

That tool, even more than Cristal Bowel, should be used for entertainment purposes only.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 10:58:32 AM »
The former is true, the latter is not.

That tool, even more than Cristal Bowel, should be used for entertainment purposes only.

Crystal Ball is never wrong
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 11:01:32 AM »
I think this year will be the toughest to predict. With all the goofy schedules and pauses, it’s tough to determine what the criteria the committee will be focusing on is.

Also, I think the NET is a little more jumbled this year than normal. Brewcity77 has pointed out Colgate a few times as being a major outlier.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 11:14:24 AM »
To make it as simple as possible, seems like we need minimum 5 more wins just to be in the at-large conversation.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 11:16:04 AM »
I think winning out and losing in the BET finals gets us in for sure (but might as well win the whole thing at that point)

I think winning out and losing in the BET semis gives us a chance. Depends on the rest of the bubble. Adding a win vs. Georgetown would help.

I think losing any remaining regular season games means we have to win the BET...unless we somehow knock off Nova in the BET, then maybe losing in the finals would be enough.

I think those are the only scenarios that get us in. They are all LONG shots. Wojo has been given the gift of opportunity. It's the chance to prove that he can have a team playing its best ball at the end of the season rather than the beginning of it. Unfortunately, I think we fall short.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 11:18:50 AM »
Crystal Ball is never wrong

It's not that the Crystal Ball is never wrong, but that the CB dictates the ways and actions of the entire universe.  And in those instances that it appears "wrong" it is actually right in such a way that our measly brains cannot comprehend.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 11:19:25 AM »
If Vlad Jr. can lose 42 lbs, anything is possible.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 11:22:32 AM »

It also has us as 1st team out if we win out then make a BET championship game run & lose to Nova. So... there's a decent chance I'd say (if that scenario played out obviously)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 11:27:36 AM »
If Vlad Jr. can lose 42 lbs, anything is possible.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 11:45:23 AM »
It also has us as 1st team out if we win out then make a BET championship game run & lose to Nova. So... there's a decent chance I'd say (if that scenario played out obviously)

I now know how Jay Bee always felt.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 11:47:02 AM »
A strong finish in the last 3 conference games and BET could ignite NIT hopes.  While the NIT is being paired down to 16 teams playing in NYC, the conference winner requirement has been dropped.

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/report-nit-plans-to-move-forward-with-2021-tournament/

So, for fun I will say 4 wins gets NIT. 5+ wins gets NCAA.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 11:59:06 AM »
I think winning out and losing in the BET finals gets us in for sure (but might as well win the whole thing at that point)

I think winning out and losing in the BET semis gives us a chance. Depends on the rest of the bubble. Adding a win vs. Georgetown would help.

I think losing any remaining regular season games means we have to win the BET...unless we somehow knock off Nova in the BET, then maybe losing in the finals would be enough.

I think those are the only scenarios that get us in. They are all LONG shots. Wojo has been given the gift of opportunity. It's the chance to prove that he can have a team playing its best ball at the end of the season rather than the beginning of it. Unfortunately, I think we fall short.

This pretty much sums it up IMO.

Only real path is win out the regular season (with or without a Gtown make up), and then win a game or two in BET.  I think they're for sure in as one of the hottest teams in the country if they win their final 3 BE games and their first 2 in the BET before falling in the final.  Do the same but fall in semis, I still think there is a chance but I wouldn't bet much $ on it. 

Realistically, its all long odds but just keep winning.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 12:31:14 PM »
This pretty much sums it up IMO.

Only real path is win out the regular season (with or without a Gtown make up), and then win a game or two in BET.  I think they're for sure in as one of the hottest teams in the country if they win their final 3 BE games and their first 2 in the BET before falling in the final.  Do the same but fall in semis, I still think there is a chance but I wouldn't bet much $ on it. 

Realistically, its all long odds but just keep winning.   

One note, my calculations assume we finish 6th or worse in the BET. Meaning we would need to win 2 games to make the semis or 3 games to make the finals. There's a path for us to get to 5th, but I don't see it happening.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 12:44:16 PM »

Ha I get it... just a decent finger in the air litmus test, not using it as an exact line of demarcation. I view that hypothetical as saying we have a good chance on a win-out + BET championship appearance. Not taking it as gospel on the exact position.

the Crystal Ball, on the other hand, is always right.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 12:52:52 PM »

I generally agree with this, except that I would leave out the “for sure” part if MU wins out and loses in the BET title game. Before the UNC game was scheduled I thought that MU’s only path was to win the BET. But adding that Quad 1 win does open up some other possibilities.

I also agree that this season is harder to project because of the absence of many OOC games. But, all of the Big East teams are going to be hurt by the fact that the conference is relatively weak this year. A 9-10 record in the fifth rated conference isn’t too impressive.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2021, 12:56:48 PM »

I tend to agree with all this. If we beat UConn, I'll likely do a deeper dive on the possibilities.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2021, 01:03:59 PM »
This reminds me of 2018 when we had everything going our way for the tournament bid, right teams losing and us winning like crazy till we fell flat against Depaul.

If I were a betting man I'd guess the  same thing happens again.
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2021, 01:39:17 PM »

Win BET Tourney:  Locked in
Win Out and 3 Games at BET: bubble
Win Out and 2 Games at BET: last out
Win Out and 1 BET Game:  out
2-3 and 3 Games at BEG: bye
2-3 (loss to Xavier) and 2 Games at BEG: bye
2-3 (loss to UCONN) and 2 Games at BEG: bye
Anything Else: Out

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2021, 01:44:31 PM »
Since a worthwhile question like this deserves an equally worthwhile answer I will say we’re already a lock.  We beat UNC on the road.  Can’t wait to see Wojo’s coaching magic in the Final Four. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 01:53:24 PM by Farley36 »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 01:56:26 PM »
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
MU in the tourney? its a crazy world. I mean, Mr Potato Head is now gender neutral. I guess anything is possible.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 02:03:55 PM »

Lonely?

feedback