Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 225995 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #350 on: March 13, 2021, 11:28:51 AM »
Sounds like Pitino Jr is going to New Mexico.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/richard-pitino-interviewing-for-new-mexico-job-on-saturday/

Remember if Richard Pitino can find a “soft landing spot”, it’s possible the University of Minnesota could avoid paying his $1.75 million buyout.

We should be encouraging a similar "soft landing spot" and waiving the buyout. Easy solution.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #351 on: March 13, 2021, 11:34:46 AM »
https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/richard-pitino-interviewing-for-new-mexico-job-on-saturday/

We should be encouraging a similar "soft landing spot" and waiving the buyout. Easy solution.

If his last name wasn’t Pitino he’s be trying to sell you real hardwood flooring instead of luxury vinyl. Classic coaching fail son,
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #352 on: March 13, 2021, 11:36:52 AM »
If his last name wasn’t Pitino he’s be trying to sell you real hardwood flooring instead of luxury vinyl. Classic coaching fail son,

And if Wojo wasn't K's de facto son he'd be announcing high school games on local radio. Seems perfectly analagous. Get the guy a golden parachute out of town and move on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #353 on: March 13, 2021, 11:51:32 AM »
Look I want to win too, but Pitino Sr has way too much baggage.

Meh. Given Hausershima and its aftermath, Rick Effen Pitino can bring his Samsonite, American Tourister, Tumi, Hartmann and Travelpro with him to Marquette!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #354 on: March 13, 2021, 11:59:38 AM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #355 on: March 13, 2021, 12:10:23 PM »
The Athletic's Bob Kravitz says HoosierLand wants no more of Archie Miller, and this will really resonate with most Scoopers

https://theathletic.com/2444717/2021/03/11/kravitz-hoosiers-faithful-spiraling-toward-apathy-if-iu-wont-fire-archie-miller/?source=weeklyemail

It's a subscription site, so I won't cut and paste the whole thing, but here's a little taste ...

Thankfully, mercifully, the Indiana basketball season ended Thursday night. It ended with nearly 10 minutes of abject, almost comical awfulness, the Hoosiers failing to score a field goal in the final 9 minutes, 50 seconds of its 61-50 Big Ten Tournament loss to Rutgers. And it ended with fans — yes, real-life, candy-stripe-wearing, invective-spewing fans — heartily and clearly chanting “Fire Archie! Fire Archie! Fire Archie!”

Did he hear it, athletic director Scott Dolson? Of course he heard it. He had to hear it, the angry noise echoing throughout the sparsely filled stands at Lucas Oil Stadium, the season ending with an audible thud, six straight losses, some more egregious than others, skidding to a halt well short of an NCAA Tournament berth.

At least Hoosiers fans still care enough to be miffed, but for how long? When does this turn into outright apathy? It’s a truly astounding thing to think or say. This is Indiana. Five banners. History without compare. And yet, here we are in a state that venerates basketball, a sport that courses through our veins as its lifeblood, and fans are nearing the point where they just don’t care any longer.

That’s how far the Hoosiers have fallen. They can’t shoot. They can’t defend, finishing 12th in the league in opponents’ points-per-possession. And it’s been this way for the better part of four years. What is this program’s calling card? What is it known for, besides an inability to make a shot?

Yes, it would cost Dolson a whole lot of money to buy out Miller, and the optics of spending $10 million-plus to fire a coach while the budget bleeds due to pandemic-related losses are not favorable. This is a year when everybody in college athletics is cutting budgets and experiencing furloughs; it’s not a particularly good look.  But how much does this athletic department stand to lose if fans — especially younger fans who don’t remember when Indiana hoops mattered like nothing else — quit caring? Can you imagine scores of empty seats at Assembly Hall when fans are allowed back in? Yes, you can.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #356 on: March 13, 2021, 12:15:16 PM »
It is just unfathomable to me that we’re going to retain Wojo.  I have never experienced more apathy and negativity about #mubb.   If MU thinks fans will just forget and get back on board next November they are doing a terrible job reading the room.  My MU circle is comprised of dozens of even keeled fans, with moderate expectations and appreciation for how tough it is to win as a Catholic school in Milwaukee and yet they are all past the boiling point. 

What concerns me is how many of my circles have just shifted into complete apathy. 

None of this is good.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #357 on: March 13, 2021, 12:20:23 PM »
Quick!!  Someone get on the horn to Calderone Club to get the fettucine started...

Eye'd spring four dinner at Zarletti's, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #358 on: March 13, 2021, 12:22:00 PM »
The Athletic's Bob Kravitz says HoosierLand wants no more of Archie Miller, and this will really resonate with most Scoopers

https://theathletic.com/2444717/2021/03/11/kravitz-hoosiers-faithful-spiraling-toward-apathy-if-iu-wont-fire-archie-miller/?source=weeklyemail

It's a subscription site, so I won't cut and paste the whole thing, but here's a little taste ...

Thankfully, mercifully, the Indiana basketball season ended Thursday night. It ended with nearly 10 minutes of abject, almost comical awfulness, the Hoosiers failing to score a field goal in the final 9 minutes, 50 seconds of its 61-50 Big Ten Tournament loss to Rutgers. And it ended with fans — yes, real-life, candy-stripe-wearing, invective-spewing fans — heartily and clearly chanting “Fire Archie! Fire Archie! Fire Archie!”

Did he hear it, athletic director Scott Dolson? Of course he heard it. He had to hear it, the angry noise echoing throughout the sparsely filled stands at Lucas Oil Stadium, the season ending with an audible thud, six straight losses, some more egregious than others, skidding to a halt well short of an NCAA Tournament berth.

At least Hoosiers fans still care enough to be miffed, but for how long? When does this turn into outright apathy? It’s a truly astounding thing to think or say. This is Indiana. Five banners. History without compare. And yet, here we are in a state that venerates basketball, a sport that courses through our veins as its lifeblood, and fans are nearing the point where they just don’t care any longer.

That’s how far the Hoosiers have fallen. They can’t shoot. They can’t defend, finishing 12th in the league in opponents’ points-per-possession. And it’s been this way for the better part of four years. What is this program’s calling card? What is it known for, besides an inability to make a shot?

Yes, it would cost Dolson a whole lot of money to buy out Miller, and the optics of spending $10 million-plus to fire a coach while the budget bleeds due to pandemic-related losses are not favorable. This is a year when everybody in college athletics is cutting budgets and experiencing furloughs; it’s not a particularly good look.  But how much does this athletic department stand to lose if fans — especially younger fans who don’t remember when Indiana hoops mattered like nothing else — quit caring? Can you imagine scores of empty seats at Assembly Hall when fans are allowed back in? Yes, you can.

Indiana hasn't won a championship since '87... and I was 6 years old.  The IU faithful have a distorted view of where their program currently is.  Are they a great program?  Sure.  But their blue blood status is very much in doubt.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #359 on: March 13, 2021, 12:24:52 PM »
It is just unfathomable to me that we’re going to retain Wojo.  I have never experienced more apathy and negativity about #mubb.   If MU thinks fans will just forget and get back on board next November they are doing a terrible job reading the room.  My MU circle is comprised of dozens of even keeled fans, with moderate expectations and appreciation for how tough it is to win as a Catholic school in Milwaukee and yet they are all past the boiling point. 

What concerns me is how many of my circles have just shifted into complete apathy. 

None of this is good.
I find it equally unfathomable. So much so that I refuse to believe he’s going to be back.
No Finish Line

MU82

• All American
« Reply #360 on: March 13, 2021, 12:27:04 PM »

None of this is good.

Are y'all season ticket holders? Cancel 'em and make sure you let Scholl & Co. know why.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #361 on: March 13, 2021, 12:52:16 PM »
Indiana hasn't won a championship since '87... and I was 6 years old.  The IU faithful have a distorted view of where their program currently is.  Are they a great program?  Sure.  But their blue blood status is very much in doubt.
...IU is still a big boy. IU fans don’t have a distorted view of where their program is. Rather, they get it. They suck and they know it, and they are desperate...just like us. We suck. We know it. We are desperate to get out of mediocre hell.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #362 on: March 13, 2021, 03:06:35 PM »
And if Wojo wasn't K's de facto son he'd be announcing high school games on local radio. Seems perfectly analagous. Get the guy a golden parachute out of town and move on.

As a guy who does PBP for high schools games on local radio (and PA for college games), I'm extremely triggered by the comparison to Wojo.
GO WARRIORS!

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #363 on: March 13, 2021, 03:12:23 PM »
As a guy who does PBP for high schools games on local radio (and PA for college games), I'm extremely triggered by the comparison to Wojo.

Wojo would crap his pants if he had to do PBP or color commentary of any kind.  The guy’s got less charisma than a rock.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #364 on: March 13, 2021, 03:16:41 PM »
Dead plant life, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #365 on: March 13, 2021, 03:25:02 PM »

None of this is good.
Absolutely. The bottom feeder continues its descent.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #366 on: March 13, 2021, 04:33:31 PM »
Pitino and Iona cruising to an NCAA automatic invite.

Pretty good for his first year on the job.
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #367 on: March 13, 2021, 04:59:17 PM »
Pitino and Iona cruising to an NCAA automatic invite.

For a team in a 1 bid league (with some reasonably successful programs historically like Canisius, Manhattan, Monmouth, and Siena) this is Iona’s 10th conference tourney title and NCAA appearance in 20 years, across 3 coaches. That’s pretty remarkable

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #368 on: March 13, 2021, 05:51:02 PM »

Agree.

But.........Iona has won that tournament the last 5 years in a row. Some of those years were without RP as a coach.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #369 on: March 13, 2021, 06:39:46 PM »
Indiana is no longer a
“Blue Blood “ ... they have lost 6 or
7 in a row to RUTGERS !!

They are a train wreck... just like MU.

Miller cannot get it done.  Neither can
Wojo. But IU might act on it ...

I’m not sure Steve and staff know what they are in for at the FF next year

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #370 on: March 13, 2021, 06:43:12 PM »
Ok I did a double take at your use of FF, which to me means the Final Four....

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #371 on: March 14, 2021, 06:32:43 AM »

From the bottom of my heart, my sincerest apologies! I'm sure you are actually good at the job!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #372 on: March 14, 2021, 07:30:23 AM »
            ---Al McGuire

erubiel

• Walk-On
« Reply #373 on: March 14, 2021, 08:24:21 AM »
Ok I did a double take at your use of FF, which to me means the Final Four....

It does mean Final Four. Next year's FF is where the MU staff will be looking for work.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #374 on: March 14, 2021, 08:29:19 AM »
From the bottom of my heart, my sincerest apologies! I'm sure you are actually good at the job!

Thanks Ellenson. LOL. Not to get too far off topic, but when you work in a small market, you don't really know for sure how good you are at the job (not a ton of desire to move up because the job allows me to continue to coach HS baseball, which is the real passion). Best gauge this year is whether players families were appreciative of your work with them not being able to attend all games in person, and a fair number of them were.
GO WARRIORS!