[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU Basketball Program  (Read 30624 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: MU Basketball Program
« Reply #225 on: February 27, 2021, 05:02:25 PM »
Quote from: Scoop Snoop link=topic=61447.msg1314460#msg1314460 date=1614442865

Spooky, but he lived on 15th Street

I thought he lived out around 26th & State.
[/quote

He lived in several places over the years.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #226 on: February 27, 2021, 07:15:24 PM »
Nice that our program was described as a bad loss if UConn were to have lost by Brando. 

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #227 on: February 27, 2021, 07:20:01 PM »
Nice that our program was described as a bad loss if UConn were to have lost by Brando.
Didn’t the announcer say the same thing about MU during the broadcast on Wed?  This is depressing.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #228 on: February 27, 2021, 08:27:51 PM »
Didn’t the announcer say the same thing about MU during the broadcast on Wed?  This is depressing.

Yep. Program is in the worst shape since we have been in the BE.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #229 on: February 27, 2021, 08:30:33 PM »
as bad as this crap show season has been, it doesnt feel 2nd last only ahead of depaul bad

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2021, 08:53:48 PM »
Yep. Program is in the worst shape since we have been in the BE.

I wash my hands of this as I wanted to take ESPN’s crappy deal 8 to 10 Years ago and remain in control of the conference. Was told  from people inside the AL when we joined the Old Big East our program was friends with a couple other programs and we had some control over the “Old” Big East, one of them them being UConn and the others I was told but will not name. I thought we were partially back when it was announced UConn was going to be rejoining and we started getting better whistles then when we first joined the “New” Big East and Buzz made no tournament and Wojo went 4-14 BE in his first year. The Program is in better shape then back then but agree we are not nearly as back as I thought unfortunately. Especially for a program with Top 10 National attendance. 2nd Last Place. Ugh. Disappointing and Frustrating. Does anyone have Beilein’s phone number. Am for MU Winning.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 09:01:55 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #231 on: February 28, 2021, 01:59:42 PM »

I wash my hands of this as I wanted to take ESPN’s crappy deal 8 to 10 Years ago and remain in control of the conference. Was told  from people inside the AL when we joined the Old Big East our program was friends with a couple other programs and we had some control over the “Old” Big East, one of them them being UConn and the others I was told but will not name. I thought we were partially back when it was announced UConn was going to be rejoining and we started getting better whistles then when we first joined the “New” Big East and Buzz made no tournament and Wojo went 4-14 BE in his first year. The Program is in better shape then back then but agree we are not nearly as back as I thought unfortunately. Especially for a program with Top 10 National attendance. 2nd Last Place. Ugh. Disappointing and Frustrating. Does anyone have Beilein’s phone number. Am for MU Winning.
you reference control. Where was MU to go when football blew up basketball? Hitching our wagon to a bunch of A-10 schools was not the answer. Sticking with Nova, StJ, Prov et al was the smart play. ESPN contract? Please elaborate. MU sucks because of MU. No one to blame. It comes down to coaching and players. MU’s problem? Michael Lovell and possibly the current AD, poor coaching and short a player or two on talent and athleticism. MU’s failings have nothing to do with TV contracts or BE competitors. It’s all on MU. Self accountability.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #232 on: March 01, 2021, 08:31:16 AM »
He lived on 23rd between Wells and Wisconin in a white brick 3 story apartment complex with about 48ish units.....He lived on the 3rd floor......On the other side of the floor from a pair of friends of mine.....(they tore it down)(it was a pit)

Scarey $hit.....How close.....

One of his victims he picked up at the Bus Stop in front of McCormick.....Some HS run away kid.....

August 1989 to graduation in 1991 I lived on 15 1/2th (Alleyway) & Kilbourn.  After graduation one of the roommates said Dahmer supposedly walked by our apartment everyday on his way to work at the Ambrosia chocolate factory.  That was very freaky learning after the fact.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #233 on: March 01, 2021, 09:02:53 AM »
August 1989 to graduation in 1991 I lived on 15 1/2th (Alleyway) & Kilbourn.  After graduation one of the roommates said Dahmer supposedly walked by our apartment everyday on his way to work at the Ambrosia chocolate factory.  That was very freaky learning after the fact.

Dahmer used to bring home chocolate for himself. He liked it for dessert.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #234 on: March 01, 2021, 12:42:45 PM »
The challenge he has is that if we don't turn it around soon, the apathy will kill the enthusiasm we once had for Marquette basketball.

When I checked Scoop this morning, one of my first thoughts:  "Marquette had a game on Saturday?!"

I don't recall the last time that happened. I'll openly admit that it's on me for not knowing the schedule, but...like I said...it's been a long time since I didn't know Marquette's schedule. Not sure exactly what to make of that...
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #235 on: March 01, 2021, 12:49:33 PM »

When I checked Scoop this morning, one of my first thoughts:  "Marquette had a game on Saturday?!"

I don't recall the last time that happened. I'll openly admit that it's on me for not knowing the schedule, but...like I said...it's been a long time since I didn't know Marquette's schedule. Not sure exactly what to make of that...

Make if that they’re not worth paying attention to any more.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #236 on: March 01, 2021, 03:46:26 PM »

This is the first season in 20+ that I've entirely missed games, thrice.  Didn't think about them, didn't watch a minute, only found out the score hours later. 

Yeah, apathy about the program is a problem.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #237 on: March 10, 2021, 04:07:27 PM »
 I wash my hands of this as I wanted to take ESPN’s crappy deal 8 to 10 Years ago and remain in control of the conference. Was told  from people inside the AL when we joined the Old Big East our program was friends with a couple other programs and we had some control over the “Old” Big East, one of them them being UConn and the others I was told but will not name. I thought we were partially back when it was announced UConn was going to be rejoining and we started getting better whistles then when we first joined the “New” Big East and Buzz made no tournament and Wojo went 4-14 BE in his first year. The Program is in better shape then back then but agree we are not nearly as back as I thought unfortunately. Especially for a program with Top 10 National attendance. 3rd Last Place. Ugh. Disappointing and Frustrating. Does anyone have Beilein’s phone number. Am for MU Winning.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #238 on: March 10, 2021, 04:09:26 PM »
I wash my hands of this as I wanted to take ESPN’s crappy deal 8 to 10 Years ago and remain in control of the conference. Was told  from people inside the AL when we joined the Old Big East our program was friends with a couple other programs and we had some control over the “Old” Big East, one of them them being UConn and the others I was told but will not name. I thought we were partially back when it was announced UConn was going to be rejoining and we started getting better whistles then when we first joined the “New” Big East and Buzz made no tournament and Wojo went 4-14 BE in his first year. The Program is in better shape then back then but agree we are not nearly as back as I thought unfortunately. Especially for a program with Top 10 National attendance. 3rd Last Place. Ugh. Disappointing and Frustrating. Does anyone have Beilein’s phone number. Am for MU Winning.

Copy pasta?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #239 on: March 10, 2021, 04:14:24 PM »

Isn't this ignoring the torpedo that Pitt and other Quislings put in the ESPN deal before jumping to the ACC?

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #240 on: March 10, 2021, 05:54:14 PM »
Isn't this ignoring the torpedo that Pitt and other Quislings put in the ESPN deal before jumping to the ACC?

Yes agree PITT may have torpedoed it. Not that it matters but one of my Daughter’s graduated from PITT. Marquette could of said yes to the ESPN deal. Not that it matters much but one of my daughter’s graduated from CUSE. CUSE and UCONN  Boeheim and Calhoun and others could not believe MU turned down the ESPN deal. Knew people from UCONN as well. One of My Son’s is at MU. MU could of stayed added some crappy football schools and had a crappier conference But MU would have won just as many NCAA tournament games in 8 years lol and probably won more NCAA games and won more games overall. That decision was the opposite of hiring AL. But moving forward just want MU to be the best MU can be and get back and Win.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #241 on: March 11, 2021, 07:59:55 AM »

Yes agree PITT may have torpedoed it. Not that it matters but one of my Daughter’s graduated from PITT. Marquette could of said yes to the ESPN deal. Not that it matters much but one of my daughter’s graduated from CUSE. CUSE and UCONN  Boeheim and Calhoun and others could not believe MU turned down the ESPN deal. Knew people from UCONN as well. One of My Son’s is at MU. MU could of stayed added some crappy football schools and had a crappier conference But MU would have won just as many NCAA tournament games in 8 years lol and probably won more NCAA games and won more games overall. That decision was the opposite of hiring AL. But moving forward just want MU to be the best MU can be and get back and Win.
the programs to have joined MU in the crappy espn deal are? I was never down with a school in Omaha in the BE...but then again, Chi and Mke ain’t exactly ‘east’. But, you say MU never got whistles early on in the new BE. That would sound of conspiracy. Was there collusion between schools in the new BE to screw MU? Coaching & players is what it takes. MU has had marginal at best coaching and not enough players for 8 seasons now.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #242 on: March 11, 2021, 08:01:35 AM »
Mike you might be the only person I know who thinks Marquette should have stayed in what is now the AAC.  I think that would have been a disaster.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #243 on: March 11, 2021, 08:07:32 AM »
Based on UCONN fan’s reaction to getting out of the AAC, I am very glad we didn’t stay. I don’t know how you can look at what happened after the Big East broke up as anything but a success for MU and the schools that continued the conference.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #244 on: March 11, 2021, 08:20:42 AM »
The current Big East is vastly superior to the Frankenstein league that was spawned trying to save football in the league
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #245 on: March 11, 2021, 08:29:23 AM »

Respectfully, by your rant/summary, you have very little awareness of how the former version of the old Big East broke apart and there was 0% chance of the hybrid model staying together.

Pittsburgh, behind the scenes, led a charge to reject ESPN's deal - as it was it in advanced discussions with the ACC with Syracuse.  It was being fed guidance on how to break apart the Big East, as ESPN saw more value breaking apart its most valuable pieces to other power conferences its controlled.  By the time Tranghese was axed by the Presidents, and Aresco was brought in, Aresco sold pyrite to the (then) league membership that "owning" markets like Houston, New Orleans (Tulane), Memphis, Orlando (UCF), Dallas (SMU), as well as Cincinnati, Tampa Bay (USF), Philadelphia (Temple/Villanova), D.C. (Georgetown) and New York City (St. John's) would, equally mind you, replace all of the value lost when the other schools departed (again, at the direction of Pitt/ESPN). 

It was actually Larry Williams, among a small group of other C7 ADs/Presidents, that led a charge to band together and recognize that they carried more value as a non-football conference than as a Frankenstein-hybrid conference.  Fox needed content, and we (the C7) needed a provider.  It was a marriage truly made in heaven, as the C7 was being paid double (and revenues are triple thanks to the success of Villanova) than that it ever received in the old Big East. 

Believe me, as bad as things are now, a successful Marquette program today would have been in worse shape if it had been relegated to a conference with Tulane, ECU, SMU, UCF, USF, Tulsa, etc.  Those are not basketball-first programs, and, frankly, many of those schools went years, if not decades, not caring about basketball that it will take many, many years of success to turn perceptions and recognition around.  Look no further than how Cincinnati Basketball has fallen.  Not only were they bad this year, they are in a non-major conference (despite being a high-major program).  UConn, like Cincinnati, sacrificed its basketball program in the name of football.  UConn recognized that it was not ever getting invited into a P5 conference.  Cincinnati has not come to that realization (yet).

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #246 on: March 11, 2021, 09:13:13 AM »
Respectfully, by your rant/summary, you have very little awareness of how the former version of the old Big East broke apart and there was 0% chance of the hybrid model staying together.

Pittsburgh, behind the scenes, led a charge to reject ESPN's deal - as it was it in advanced discussions with the ACC with Syracuse.  It was being fed guidance on how to break apart the Big East, as ESPN saw more value breaking apart its most valuable pieces to other power conferences its controlled.  By the time Tranghese was axed by the Presidents, and Aresco was brought in, Aresco sold pyrite to the (then) league membership that "owning" markets like Houston, New Orleans (Tulane), Memphis, Orlando (UCF), Dallas (SMU), as well as Cincinnati, Tampa Bay (USF), Philadelphia (Temple/Villanova), D.C. (Georgetown) and New York City (St. John's) would, equally mind you, replace all of the value lost when the other schools departed (again, at the direction of Pitt/ESPN). 

It was actually Larry Williams, among a small group of other C7 ADs/Presidents, that led a charge to band together and recognize that they carried more value as a non-football conference than as a Frankenstein-hybrid conference.  Fox needed content, and we (the C7) needed a provider.  It was a marriage truly made in heaven, as the C7 was being paid double (and revenues are triple thanks to the success of Villanova) than that it ever received in the old Big East. 

Believe me, as bad as things are now, a successful Marquette program today would have been in worse shape if it had been relegated to a conference with Tulane, ECU, SMU, UCF, USF, Tulsa, etc.  Those are not basketball-first programs, and, frankly, many of those schools went years, if not decades, not caring about basketball that it will take many, many years of success to turn perceptions and recognition around.  Look no further than how Cincinnati Basketball has fallen.  Not only were they bad this year, they are in a non-major conference (despite being a high-major program).  UConn, like Cincinnati, sacrificed its basketball program in the name of football.  UConn recognized that it was not ever getting invited into a P5 conference.  Cincinnati has not come to that realization (yet).

After UConn announced independence in football and rejoining the Big East, their President & Athletic Director said they were both contacted by a few other schools about the process of "going independent" because they were considering to evaluate.  Both refused to mention any school names. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #247 on: March 11, 2021, 11:45:56 AM »
After UConn announced independence in football and rejoining the Big East, their President & Athletic Director said they were both contacted by a few other schools about the process of "going independent" because they were considering to evaluate.  Both refused to mention any school names.

My guess? Boise State.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #248 on: March 11, 2021, 11:55:24 AM »
My guess? Boise State.

Think downstate Ohio.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #249 on: March 11, 2021, 11:57:27 AM »
as bad as this crap show season has been, it doesnt feel 2nd last only ahead of depaul bad

Yes it does.

You have been numbed by seven years of mediocrity, so the magnitude of the fall is understated to you.

feedback