[Today at 07:42:14 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Lennys Tap
[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Basketball Program  (Read 31307 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MU Basketball Program
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2021, 10:21:34 PM »
This has been my concern since the first 1-6 collapse followed by identical 1-6 collapses last year and this year. At some point (probably very soon) the poor performances are going to easily outweigh any storyline that Wojo can tell. We are currently in 10th place. Good luck selling Wojo's story.

As the kids used to say…No duh

My point is, at this point, there are a lot of holes to be poked in those arguments by opposing coaches on the recruiting trail. I’m wondering if/when our recruiting will potentially fall off due to constant underachievement.

I had serious concerns after Hausershima ... and then Wojo went out and got Garcia, Lewis, DJ and Oso. And he has followed that up with a solid class this year.

Kids want playing time, they want to play in the NCAA tournament, the stars want a path to the NBA, and they all want to feel like part of a "family." Wojo has shown he will give minutes to any good player, whether or not that player's a freshman; we made the NCAAs in 3 of 4 seasons before this one; he has produced a few NBA players; and Marquette's players sure seem to project the latter all the time (with the exception of the end of the Mutiny Season).

It was asked what he had to sell. I said what he had to sell, and he's sold it pretty well.

Every coach, including Wojo, pokes holes in other coaches' selling points. I'll concern myself with all the worrywart stuff if and when it shows signs of happening.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #201 on: February 26, 2021, 06:26:13 AM »
I had serious concerns after Hausershima ... and then Wojo went out and got Garcia, Lewis, DJ and Oso. And he has followed that up with a solid class this year.

Kids want playing time, they want to play in the NCAA tournament, the stars want a path to the NBA, and they all want to feel like part of a "family." Wojo has shown he will give minutes to any good player, whether or not that player's a freshman; we made the NCAAs in 3 of 4 seasons before this one; he has produced a few NBA players; and Marquette's players sure seem to project the latter all the time (with the exception of the end of the Mutiny Season).

It was asked what he had to sell. I said what he had to sell, and he's sold it pretty well.

Every coach, including Wojo, pokes holes in other coaches' selling points. I'll concern myself with all the worrywart stuff if and when it shows signs of happening.

Once again, my point is his holes are becoming pretty big. If he stays, it will be interesting to see what level of talent he brings in.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #202 on: February 26, 2021, 06:48:04 AM »

He's a fringe top 100 prospect.  We aren't talking about an elite prospect here.

And for all the talk of lack of on court success, they would have been in the tournament three years out of four.  (Not saying that is great, but it certainly is sellable.)

68 teams make the tournament. It’s not that big of an accomplishment and actually a pretty low bar to get excited about. Now actually winning a game or two in the tournament? That would be sellable.

As far as “gritty”, what the hell does that even mean? Marquette is largely a University for privileged and entitled kids of wealthy parents. Let’s be honest. Don’t confuse the basketball program with the reality of the University. Al recruited inner city kids in part because they could relate to the city environment and would feel comfortable.  He could get those types of kids to come to Marquette, its an urban University not necessarily a "gritty" one.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #203 on: February 26, 2021, 06:57:47 AM »
I think Wojo would be a perfect coach for Marquette...if he only won more.  He checks all the boxes, except the largest and most important one.

Yep.  Damn shame.  Here’s hoping for a miracle run this year and never looking back.  Is that too much to ask for?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #204 on: February 26, 2021, 09:27:43 PM »
Once again, my point is his holes are becoming pretty big. If he stays, it will be interesting to see what level of talent he brings in.

I would imagine the same level of talent.

You seem to believe differently.

That's cool. Reasonable people can disagree.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2021, 07:53:22 AM »
68 teams make the tournament. It’s not that big of an accomplishment and actually a pretty low bar to get excited about. Now actually winning a game or two in the tournament? That would be sellable.

As far as “gritty”, what the hell does that even mean? Marquette is largely a University for privileged and entitled kids of wealthy parents. Let’s be honest. Don’t confuse the basketball program with the reality of the University. Al recruited inner city kids in part because they could relate to the city environment and would feel comfortable.  He could get those types of kids to come to Marquette, its an urban University not necessarily a "gritty" one.

Perhaps true today, but not when I attended. It was pretty much a school where blue collar parents could afford to send their kids and become the first college graduates in their family.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2021, 08:47:44 AM »
Perhaps true today, but not when I attended. It was pretty much a school where blue collar parents could afford to send their kids and become the first college graduates in their family.
It certainly was for privileged and entitled kids in the late 80's when I was there. I don't think we saw ourselves as such at the time but it was clear we were.

So it's been at least 35 years since the student body was 'gritty' which means its irrelevant in the framing of the institution today.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2021, 09:11:49 AM »

In 1969 anyone could afford to go to college working part time at the gas station in the summer.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2021, 09:16:20 AM »
In 1969 anyone could afford to go to college working part time at the gas station in the summer.
That was back when people could afford to buy gas, at 29cents per gallon.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2021, 10:02:48 AM »
Trying to figure out how to frame a Jeffrey Dahmer joke with a 'gritty' student body. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2021, 10:21:05 AM »
Trying to figure out how to frame a Jeffrey Dahmer joke with a 'gritty' student body.

Try "meat eaters" references from Scoop. You are on your own for the gritty part of the joke though.

Spooky, but he lived on 15th Street so I walked by his apartment building many times my senior year.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2021, 10:28:58 AM »
Meat eaters is a nice touch.   On Google maps, I was showing coworkers how close I lived to him, how close the laundromat I used was to his place, explained how many Wells street bars were close to his place.   They are young enough that his is a name from history.   They were shocked.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2021, 10:36:40 AM »
..which is equivalent to $2.13 today. so gas prices haven't changed much.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2021, 11:05:25 AM »
T we're paying almost double that in "Worker's Paradise" California

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #214 on: February 27, 2021, 11:30:29 AM »

I can afford gas
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2021, 11:33:50 AM »

Sure. But gas prices have held steady over time.

College costs have skyrocketed.

Wages have severely lagged.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2021, 11:45:15 AM »
Books are more expensive then room and board plus tuition was in 1969.

I bought one semesters worth of books. Then pirated pdf's and printed them off in the library. Way cheaper.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2021, 01:38:14 PM »
Quote from: Scoop Snoop link=topic=61447.msg1314460#msg1314460 date=1614442865

Spooky, but he lived on 15th Street
[/quote
I thought he lived out around 26th & State.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #218 on: February 27, 2021, 01:45:34 PM »
25th between Kilbourn and State, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #219 on: February 27, 2021, 02:43:42 PM »
..which is equivalent to $2.13 today. so gas prices haven't changed much.

Also considering average of 13 MPG in 1969, and 25 MPG today, if you go with inflation adjusted $/mile
1969: $2.13 / 13 = $0.16 (0.163)
2021: $2.71 / 25  = $0.11 (0.1084)

Gas prices seem like an old man rant.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 02:48:48 PM by rocky_warrior »

burger

• All American
« Reply #220 on: February 27, 2021, 04:29:47 PM »
25th between Kilbourn and State, hey?

He lived on 23rd between Wells and Wisconin in a white brick 3 story apartment complex with about 48ish units.....He lived on the 3rd floor......On the other side of the floor from a pair of friends of mine.....(they tore it down)(it was a pit)

Scarey $hit.....How close.....

One of his victims he picked up at the Bus Stop in front of McCormick.....Some HS run away kid.....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 04:33:13 PM by burger »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #221 on: February 27, 2021, 04:32:04 PM »
924 N.25th.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #222 on: February 27, 2021, 04:41:03 PM »
Scary again, Fahrenheit. Ewe and Eye agree. Dat's beyond wild, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #223 on: February 27, 2021, 04:44:46 PM »
Proud of you.   Still hope.   

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #224 on: February 27, 2021, 04:48:49 PM »
Yeah, keep hope alive, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"