[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Lost Season  (Read 11352 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
The Lost Season
« on: February 14, 2021, 05:00:35 PM »
I look at this season as a wasted year. I've been trying to find the silver lining in all of this frustration, and I have not been successful.

Results-wise, of course it's a disaster. We were predicted for 6th in the BE and we're challenging for 11th.

Perhaps, given the disappointing results, there has been player development causing optimism for the future. Discounting the seniors, who wouldn't return unless they had a honey in town, where has there been development?

DJ still has a suspect handle and makes ill-advised weak passes on top. DG has had his moments, but as we saw today, is clearly not strong enough to be a significant BE competitor. Justin is a gamer, and shows promise.

The rest of the group, meh. I wish Greg had not screwed up his ankle, it's an unforgiving joint.
Any one who thinks Dex, Petrez, or Sy is going to be a significant contributor is dreaming. Oso is a wild card, we haven't seen enough of him.

Coaching-wise, same old, same old, same old. And no indication that things will improve.

Bottom line, a lost, wasted year. Easy to give a pass on the virus, I really don't know if the results would have been any different without it.

I used to look forward to game days with excitement, now I do so with dread. I watch the games out of loyalty and habit, but can see the disappointment coming.

Please, God, let those who make the decisions take this cup (Wojo) away from us.

Johnny B

• All American
Re: The Lost Season
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 05:06:08 PM »
yep will be another waste next year if hes back. its a joke if he isnt let go.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 05:22:01 PM »
I was optimistic for the first three or four years that Wojo would turn out to be a good hire. Now, I just want this season and Wojo's coaching tenure to come to merciful end. I had the volume turned down pretty low today, but did I hear Lavin compare MU's offense to Abbott and Costello? Can't really blame him. What Wojo sees in Perez, Torrence, and Akanno is a mystery to me.  Even if a coaching change means hitting absolute rock bottom for a couple of years and completely starting over, it has to be done. Please, do not give Wojo a contract extension to reduce the buyout. Just tell him he's not getting an extension and maybe he will finally figure out he has failed here. I do not expect us to ever win another national championship, but I do expect us to be competitive. Right now, we are only competing for last in the BE - and we have already lost to the last place team. Absolutely unacceptable.

Japabound

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 05:31:20 PM »
Have all the projos comer around or is there just general silence from them. This guy just plain sucks as a coach. I agree with the post above 100%.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 05:33:24 PM »
Have all the projos comer around or is there just general silence from them. This guy just plain sucks as a coach. I agree with the post above 100%.
is anyone on here still genuinly pro jo? what would possibly be the argument. whackos

panda

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 05:37:08 PM »
is anyone on here still genuinly pro jo? what would possibly be the argument. whackos

There’s Brutus on Twitter and Dodds. That’s about it.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 05:37:48 PM »

I’d be shocked if there are any “Projos” left. Take for example how quiet this board is after another loss to an unranked team. There use to be arguments, points of optimism, something to debate. This board - like the MU fan base -  is tired, defeated and no longer interested.

The program is staring down the barrel of a very defining moment when the season ends. Sadly it’s coming at the worst possible time ( Financial situation, decreases enrollment, Covid, etc.) Let’s see if the individuals making the big salaries, make the correct decisions.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 05:45:56 PM »
Hard to argue with any of the points made.  The team and the program are inherently broken, and a coaching change is undeniably needed at this point.  I continue to believe we won’t win another game this season.  With the (lack of) talent we have, we essentially need to play a great game for 40 minutes while also hoping the opponent plays down to our struggles (poor shooting, turnovers and our continued inability to have defense lead to offense).

No more explanations need to be given.  Wojo needs to go and a complete roster turnover is needed. It is what it is.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 05:46:04 PM »
I guess the assertion that 'wins don't matter' by some on this board will put to the test.

I could see, but would disagree with, the strategy of another year due to financial reasons or lack of the right candidate being available. As I have said before, next year will be worse. The quicker he goes the better, for Wojo also since next year at MU could kill what he has left in his HC career. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 05:46:54 PM »
A seasun on da brink, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tosadoc2

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 05:57:21 PM »
Covid saved Wojo's job last year after the last game DePaul loss and Covid is saving him this season with no fans in the stands..what does next bring us if he is back and fans are allowed in the Fiserv...will there be fans??????

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 06:02:41 PM »
MU has lost six of seven.  We lost six of seven to end last year. We lost six of the last seven games to end 2019. 

So much for being inconsistent.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 06:03:11 PM »
Covid saved Wojo's job last year after the last game DePaul loss and Covid is saving him this season with no fans in the stands..what does next bring us if he is back and fans are allowed in the Fiserv...will there be fans??????

I tend to think COVID hurt Wojo’s job prospects related to last year. He lost the chance to salvage that season. Markus could have gone nuts for a game or two and we win a game or two in the tourney. Now, everyone just assumes we get our doors blown off.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 06:13:01 PM »
Hard to argue with any of the points made.  The team and the program are inherently broken, and a coaching change is undeniably needed at this point.  I continue to believe we won’t win another game this season.  With the (lack of) talent we have, we essentially need to play a great game for 40 minutes while also hoping the opponent plays down to our struggles (poor shooting, turnovers and our continued inability to have defense lead to offense).

No more explanations need to be given.  Wojo needs to go and a complete roster turnover is needed. It is what it is.

Agree 100%. I’ve tried be positive about Wojo and his program/system but at this point I’ve given up any hope that he suddenly gets “IT”, love the players he’s brought in but lack of development, lack of basic fundamentals has to fall on someone and ultimately he’s the guy

Hate to lose the roster but at this point a complete reboot is probably the only path forward.

Get us a junkyard dog of a coach, someone with some passion and enthusiasm since Wojo has turned into a bland non-winning dollar store version of Coach K
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Viper

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 07:32:55 PM »
The good news is a basketball program can be corrected quickly. Wojo goes, so do some guys. A new coach comes in, so do some guys. Maybe, better guys.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 07:47:42 PM »
The good news is a basketball program can be corrected quickly. Wojo goes, so do some guys. A new coach comes in, so do some guys. Maybe, better guys.

This is unfortunately no true at all. I am in the Wojo-out boat, but barring a miracle, it will cost us at least a few years of rebuilding before we see any decent results.

panda

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 07:56:07 PM »
This is unfortunately no true at all. I am in the Wojo-out boat, but barring a miracle, it will cost us at least a few years of rebuilding before we see any decent results.

Don’t look at Alabama with Oats. Or Houston with Kelvin. Or Buzz with Va Tech. Or underwood at UofI. Or Rick Barnes at UT. Or
Chris Beard at Texas Tech.

Not trying to be a smart a**, but it’s very possible. Just trying to hammer home the point that the path to success is not with an assistant. Pay up for a guy with HC experience and we’ll be back in no time.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 09:40:33 PM »
If Wojo isn’t our coach next year this was definitely not a lost season.
No Finish Line

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 10:12:02 PM »
It's far more than a "Lost Season."  It's a lost generation.  7 years of students never seeing a win in March, with more coming.

Even with a new coach, MU will be rebuilding for many more seasons.   It's easy to imagine MU's fan interest reaching lows not seen in decades.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 10:14:07 PM »
It's far more than a "Lost Season."  It's a lost generation.  7 years of students never seeing a win in March, with more coming.

Even with a new coach, MU will be rebuilding for many more seasons.   It's easy to imagine MU's fan interest reaching lows not seen in decades.

Not necessarily if you get the hire right.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 10:17:58 PM »
Don’t look at Alabama with Oats. Or Houston with Kelvin. Or Buzz with Va Tech. Or underwood at UofI. Or Rick Barnes at UT. Or
Chris Beard at Texas Tech.

Not trying to be a smart a**, but it’s very possible. Just trying to hammer home the point that the path to success is not with an assistant. Pay up for a guy with HC experience and we’ll be back in no time.

Your point is well taken, that a rebuild might not take many years. But how quickly it will come depends upon how one defines "quickly." For example ...

Underwood was 14-18 in his first season at Illinois, 12-21 in his second and headed for a 7-9 seed in his third.

Buzz was 11-22 in his first season at Va Tech, didn't make the NCAAs in his second, and didn't win an NCAA tournament game there until his 5th season - after which he bolted to TAMU, where two years in he has been about a .500 coach.

Barnes was 15-19 in his first season at Tennessee and 16-16 in his second.

If we hired a guy with Beard's resume, you would have been one of the top complainers here ... and you would have had a lot of company.

Marquette will never hire a multiple-proven-dirty coach like Sampson, and you know it, so you might as well have mentioned Phil Jackson instead of him. Phil's just as likely.

So was what Buzz did at Va Tech and what he has done so far at TAMU "quick" enough for you? Maybe it was, and that's cool, but don't act like he got there and had them in the tourney in Year 1 and in the Sweet 16 in Year 2. Va Tech had been a tough place to win, and he did a great job changing the culture there, and maybe he'll do the same at TAMU ... but here's the facts, Jack: Buzz has won exactly 2 NCAA tournament games in his last 8 years as a coach. If our next coach  accomplishes the exact same - 1 second weekend in 8 years - would that be good enough for you?

I know folks don't like to hear their fellow Scoopers being realistic, but sorry. Some of us are going to be realistic.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 11:52:19 PM »
Speed of the rebuild if Wojo is fired this year depends on the approach of the coach who replaces him. If you get a guy who can keep the core guys together while brining in some transfers and quality freshmen, you could have better team next season than this season and a pretty good one by year two. If the new coach prefers to (or has to because he couldn't retain the core) wipe the slate clean and build from scratch. It will be at least a 3-5 year process.

A coach starting now would be different than when Wojo started. Wojo started with a roster that lost 5/6 of its top minutes guys from the last season. A new coach next year could have 3/6 of the top minutes guys and I think most would agree they are more talented half of the six.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2021, 12:11:21 AM »
All of the above are reasons to sack him now and get the search started.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2021, 05:36:48 AM »
What we're seeing from Woj is a guy who doesn't have a handle on his team, program, or coaching. His approach seems to be more of wanting to be a buddy or pal, than a mentor or coach, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 07:28:18 AM »
Anyone who thinks there'll be a quick rebuild needs to go to Arby's immediately and wallow in their wrongness.