Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Lost Season  (Read 11316 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: The Lost Season
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2021, 08:52:30 AM »
Anyone who thinks there'll be a quick rebuild needs to go to Arby's immediately and wallow in their wrongness.

Whether the rebuild is quick or slow is immaterial to me. What’s important is that those in charge acknowledge their mistake and move forward.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2021, 09:46:57 AM »
Whether the rebuild is quick or slow is immaterial to me. What’s important is that those in charge acknowledge their mistake and move forward.

Ditto.

You make the change because the change must be made. The consequences will be the consequences. If you make a good hire, the rebuilding process will go faster and better.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2021, 09:56:24 AM »
Scholl has shown he can make a good hire with Duffy and I think Theis was a Scholl hire as well? Just gotta trust that it works out.

Was Wojo a Cords hire or Scholl? Don’t think Scholl was around yet

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2021, 10:00:02 AM »
Scholl has shown he can make a good hire with Duffy and I think Theis was a Scholl hire as well? Just gotta trust that it works out.

Was Wojo a Cords hire or Scholl? Don’t think Scholl was around yet

As I recal Cords hired him but Scholl was consulted. Same with Wild/Lovell
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2021, 10:05:53 AM »
As I recal Cords hired him but Scholl was consulted. Same with Wild/Lovell

Scholl was hired in September. He had nothing to do with Wojo's hire.

https://marquettewire.org/3884344/republican-national-convention/bill-scholl-hired-as-new-athletic-director/

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2021, 10:07:03 AM »
Scholl was hired in September. He had nothing to do with Wojo's hire.

https://marquettewire.org/3884344/republican-national-convention/bill-scholl-hired-as-new-athletic-director/

My bad I thought we got him right around when we got spurned by Shaka
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2021, 10:36:57 AM »
My bad I thought we got him right around when we got spurned by Shaka

Lovell was the hire they fast tracked for Shaka. I believe there was a rumor of Shaka having a list of ADs he wanted.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2021, 12:14:17 PM »
Lovell was the hire they fast tracked for Shaka. I believe there was a rumor of Shaka having a list of ADs he wanted.

Was Mrs. Shaka his first choice for Marquette AD?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2021, 12:23:56 PM »
Anyone who thinks there'll be a quick rebuild needs to go to Arby's immediately and wallow in their wrongness.

Then MU better get started sooner rather than later.

We want optimism in the program again.     I want to return to the days of discussing why MU can’t get a big man to compliment the 3 amigos while I watch great players like them win lots of games.  This place was way more fun then.  Fans always want more, but most of them do recognize when they have it pretty good.

MU has nothing good going right now. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2021, 12:26:30 PM »
Then MU better get started sooner rather than later.

We want optimism in the program again.     I want to return to the days of discussing why MU can’t get a big man to compliment the 3 amigos while I watch great players like them win lots of games.  This place was way more fun then.  Fans always want more, but most of them do recognize when they have it pretty good.

MU has nothing good going right now.

If we get Tom Crean again you'll get your wish
Maigh Eo for Sam

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2021, 02:10:54 PM »
If we get Tom Crean again you'll get your wish

Tom Crean’s teams won lots of games and Wade, Novak, Diener, James, McNeal, Mathews, Hayward and a cast of others were great players to watch.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2021, 02:29:41 PM »
Agree 100%. I’ve tried be positive about Wojo and his program/system but at this point I’ve given up any hope that he suddenly gets “IT”, love the players he’s brought in but lack of development, lack of basic fundamentals has to fall on someone and ultimately he’s the guy

Hate to lose the roster but at this point a complete reboot is probably the only path forward.

Get us a junkyard dog of a coach, someone with some passion and enthusiasm since Wojo has turned into a bland non-winning dollar store version of Coach K

This is where I stand too.  I was still optimistic that Wojo maybe had it in him until a couple weeks ago.  Now I'm convinced that he's not the man for this job.  So maybe you can call me one of the last of the Projos, but I'm now a Nojo.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2021, 02:35:36 PM »
Tom Crean’s teams won lots of games and Wade, Novak, Diener, James, McNeal, Mathews, Hayward and a cast of others were great players to watch.

Exactly you'll get your big 3 again and such. The teal was because we aren't getting Crean. He's got SEC money and unless he's dying to complete that soccer field donation he's not coming back
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2021, 02:40:12 PM »
Crean sucks, but I'd almost take him over Wojo.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2021, 02:50:01 PM »
Your point is well taken, that a rebuild might not take many years. But how quickly it will come depends upon how one defines "quickly." For example ...

Underwood was 14-18 in his first season at Illinois, 12-21 in his second and headed for a 7-9 seed in his third.

Buzz was 11-22 in his first season at Va Tech, didn't make the NCAAs in his second, and didn't win an NCAA tournament game there until his 5th season - after which he bolted to TAMU, where two years in he has been about a .500 coach.

Barnes was 15-19 in his first season at Tennessee and 16-16 in his second.

If we hired a guy with Beard's resume, you would have been one of the top complainers here ... and you would have had a lot of company.

Marquette will never hire a multiple-proven-dirty coach like Sampson, and you know it, so you might as well have mentioned Phil Jackson instead of him. Phil's just as likely.

So was what Buzz did at Va Tech and what he has done so far at TAMU "quick" enough for you? Maybe it was, and that's cool, but don't act like he got there and had them in the tourney in Year 1 and in the Sweet 16 in Year 2. Va Tech had been a tough place to win, and he did a great job changing the culture there, and maybe he'll do the same at TAMU ... but here's the facts, Jack: Buzz has won exactly 2 NCAA tournament games in his last 8 years as a coach. If our next coach  accomplishes the exact same - 1 second weekend in 8 years - would that be good enough for you?

I know folks don't like to hear their fellow Scoopers being realistic, but sorry. Some of us are going to be realistic.

I'd be pleased if MUBB was on par with several of these quick mentioned turn around teams.

Virginia Tech had made the NCAA's eight times in school history prior to Buzz. Buzz made the NCAA's three times in five years there.

Illinois had missed the NCAA's four straight seasons, and, had made it just three out of the previous ten seasons. Brad Underwood had them there in season three. They are currently a top 10 team in year four.

Rick Barnes won the SEC Regular Season League Title in year three there. He won 31 games and advanced to the NCAA 2nd weekend the following year. (after Tennessee missed NCAA's two of three previous seasons.)

Chris Beard made the Elite 8 year two and NCAA Runner Up, League Title year three.

I would take strong third season results, regular season and post season, and then keep building and keep ut going annually for many years.

Sign me up for that plan. Sooner is great, but season three is good.

panda

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2021, 02:56:16 PM »
I'd be pleased if MUBB was on par with several of these quick mentioned turn around teams.

Virginia Tech had made the NCAA's eight times in school history prior to Buzz. Buzz made the NCAA's three times in five years there.

Illinois had missed the NCAA's four straight seasons, and, had made it just three out of the previous ten seasons. Brad Underwood had them there in season three. They are currently a top 10 team in year four.

Rick Barnes won the SEC Regular Season League Title in year three there. He won 31 games and advanced to the NCAA 2nd weekend the following year. (after Tennessee missed NCAA's two of three previous seasons.)

Chris Beard made the Elite 8 year two and NCAA Runner Up, League Title year three.

I would take strong third season results, regular season and post season, and then keep building and keep ut going annually for many years.

Sign me up for that plan. Sooner is great, but season three is good.

Successful rebuilds show fruit in two to three seasons in CBB. Patience is more than warranted for four years as well, but that's on the long end. Wait any longer than that and the job just gets that much harder for the next guy.

The biggest lie Wojo supporters have purported is that rebuilds take any longer than that. Anything beyond four years, questions should start being asked about roster management, recruiting, player development, tactical philosophy etc.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2021, 03:00:21 PM »
Successful rebuilds show fruit in two to three seasons in CBB. Patience is more than warranted for four years as well, but that's on the long end. Wait any longer than that and the job just gets that much harder for the next guy.

The biggest lie Wojo supporters have purported is that rebuilds take any longer than that. Anything beyond four years, questions should start being asked about roster management, recruiting, player development, tactical philosophy etc.

Wojo had MU in the NCAA Tournament in year 3 and was a 5 seed and alone in 2nd in the Big East in year 5.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2021, 03:04:42 PM »
Anyone who watched Kevin O'Neill in year one knew he was an upgrade over Bob Dukiet.  He slipped in year two, mostly because Tony Smith graduated and the most talent he had was at the freshman level with Mac, Damon and Robb, but you knew MU was on the right path.

Ditto Crean.  By year three, everyone knew they going places.

If Wojo leaves, even if a bunch of the players bug out, you will know in two years if they are on the right path.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2021, 03:08:17 PM »
Wojo had MU in the NCAA Tournament in year 3 and was a 5 seed and alone in 2nd in the Big East in year 5.

And how’d that end up?

A rebuild implies the program has reestablished themselves to levels they were at before being down. Wojo is well under 500 against top 100 teams in his seven years. The rebuild was never completed. There was a flash in the pan, but mostly just average to below average teams.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2021, 03:11:08 PM »

John Beilein, Mick Cronin,  Tony Bennett, Fran Mccaffery, and Kevin Willard would like a word with you.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2021, 03:17:32 PM »
John Beilein, Mick Cronin,  Tony Bennett, Fran Mccaffery, and Kevin Willard would like a word with you.

After this latest loss, are you now on the “fire Wojo” train?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2021, 03:19:28 PM »

It can take some time. Jay Wright and Mike Krzyzewski made the NCAA's in year four at Villanova and Duke.

Beilein had Michigan in NCAA's year two. And in season four onward, rolling.

Tony Bennett had UVA in NCAA's in season three, rolling annually year five onward.

Mick Cronin the Cincy version is a good example of taking more time to get it going. (Not the UCLA version which is happening quickly)

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2021, 03:20:00 PM »

Saying we were “alone in 2nd in the Big East” is certainly a new way to spin year five’s collapse.  Well done.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2021, 03:21:51 PM »
Saying we were “alone in 2nd in the Big East” is certainly a new way to spin year five’s collapse.  Well done.

So we weren't alone in 2nd now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2021, 03:23:08 PM »
After this latest loss, are you now on the “fire Wojo” train?

You are very concerned about this. Go ahead and read some other threads,  you'll find your answer.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.