Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If You're Wojo...  (Read 20217 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: If You're Wojo...
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2021, 10:19:39 AM »
Let's get real. That ain't happenin'. Either he's coachin', quits, or gets chitcanned, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2021, 10:22:45 AM »
But does it say the sole head coach? I mean maybe MU can just have a second basketball team for Wojo to "coach" in the old gym while someone else plays against the big boys

Or maybe Marquette should act like a professional organization and pay the buyout if it wants a new coach.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2021, 10:25:36 AM »

Or maybe Marquette should act like a professional organization and pay the buyout if it wants a new coach.

I should've used teal. I thought the humor was obvious 🤗
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2021, 10:26:37 AM »
Wojo’s not going to quit and leave millions of dollars on the table, and he’s not going to be able to leave for a job that wouldn’t be an embarrassingly large step down.  Penn State, Boston College, any of those schools are completely out of the question at this point.

So he’ll either be the coach next year, or he’ll be fired.  Those are the only two options.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2021, 10:29:57 AM »
Wojo’s not going to quit and leave millions of dollars on the table, and he’s not going to be able to leave for a job that wouldn’t be an embarrassingly large step down.  Penn State, Boston College, any of those schools are completely out of the question at this point.

So he’ll either be the coach next year, or he’ll be fired.  Those are the only two options.

I don't think the chances are HIGH that he takes another job, but I can see him jumping if he thinks he will be out next year.  He could spin a PSU or BC move into a positive - especially if he is offered a couple more years and a few 100k more.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2021, 10:30:45 AM »
Still pissed off that you were absolutely wrong on the Canadian prospect and I was right?  But then when I was correct you complained and said I was cheering for Marquette to not get recruits.

Actually, I had forgotten about him completely until you or somebody else brought him up the other day. I will now give you thunderous applause for that. Congratulations!

I was never "pissed off" about either your prediction or of him choosing to go pro. Nor am I "pissed off" about you waffling now.

You, on the other hand, sound "pissed off" to be held accountable for your own words.

You obviously are desperate for "credit" when you make a prediction. But sorry, you can't get credit for making a kinda-prediction. You are free to say whatever you want, obviously. It's 'Murica! But if you want credit for having said "Wojo is gone," just say it and don't follow it with a waffle and syrup.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2021, 10:32:02 AM »
I'm pretty sure his contract calls for him to be the head coach of the basketball team.  They can't just demote him or have him sweep floors or some such.

Maybe they could keep him as Head Coach but hire a Head Head Coach (Capo di tutti capi).

mug644

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2021, 10:35:23 AM »
Until the administration tells Wojo he is doing a bad job I believe he is perfectly happy.
The only one he needs to please is his employer.
Now maybe next year with fans in the stands they can help influence his employer.
But until then he will collect his paycheck and say "Thank you Marquette!"
But hey, until then, nothing wrong with dreaming.

I believe that Wojo is proud and competitive enough that he is not perfectly happy these days. I think he may know, better than most of us, that he is perfectly secure in the eyes of the administration, but happy? No.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2021, 10:40:46 AM »
I believe that Wojo is proud and competitive enough that he is not perfectly happy these days. I think he may know, better than most of us, that he is perfectly secure in the eyes of the administration, but happy? No.

I agree he's too proud and competitive to be happy. And he has to see that if any one of our three legit players leave he's looking at a third horrific season that'll majorly tarnish his reputation. Cant imagine he's willing to do that. Outside of leaving money on the table (which he's not if he views it at getting out while he can still get paid)
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2021, 10:42:16 AM »

I think this is a great point.

I have said, and I truly believe, that Wojo already should have been fired this season. But he is still coaching ... and though he isn't coaching well, there is zero evidence that he's happy about the way things are going or that he cares only about money.

As an athlete, he was known for his intensity and for caring very much about the game and his team; he coached at Duke; he coached with the Olympic team. Those who think he's happy with this sh!t are just taking cheap potshots at him.

There are plenty - PLENTY! - of things to criticize Wojo for. Those who pretend to be capable of knowing what he's thinking ... and saying he's thinking happy thoughts these days ... that's just dopey.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2021, 10:57:05 AM »

I don't think the chances are HIGH that he takes another job, but I can see him jumping if he thinks he will be out next year.  He could spin a PSU or BC move into a positive - especially if he is offered a couple more years and a few 100k more.

I hope you’re right, but there’s an article from March 2019 talking about how Pat Chambers only made $900K a year at PSU.  I don’t know what they’re planning on shelling out for their next basketball coach, but I highly doubt they’re going to double what they were paying before to hire Wojo.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2021, 11:37:40 AM »
Unhappy.  Sure, who would be happy with a losing record if that was your primary responsibility.  Proud and competitive enough to quit or move on?  Just seems like opposite poles too far apart.  Either he gets fired or he is coaching MU to the best of his abilities and if he is losing I would say unhappy to a point.  If he can't coach, at least get assistants that can and overlook them.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2021, 12:29:33 PM »
Didn't Brent leave for less dough at VT?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2021, 12:31:07 PM »

BC actually seems like a good fit.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2021, 12:37:07 PM »
Didn't Brent leave for less dough at VT?

Yes/No.  The AAV was less to start, but thanks to the contract writing/taking skills he developed, his full VT contract was fully guaranteed, along with roll-over clauses. Thus, the VT commitment was greater long-term than his prior deal with MU.

Buzz asked for the moon and VT gave him the galaxy.  I'm fairly sure there was given everything, if not the majority, of things he asked for.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2021, 12:48:05 PM »
BC actually seems like a good fit.

Not to toot my own horn, but I said this months ago.
 ;D

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2021, 12:49:01 PM »

they may be "a step down" but a move to those programs could easily be spun into them being a step up in terms of conference affiliation.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

panda

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2021, 12:54:13 PM »
they may be "a step down" but a move to those programs could easily be spun into them being a step up in terms of conference affiliation.

Yep and he can hide at both BC and PSU. Basketball not their priority but will still pay very well.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2021, 01:02:59 PM »
If I'm Wojo

1) I am guessing that MU will not fire me at the end of the season but I am not really sure. I'm nervous.
2) I realize that they would probably really like to fire me but the buyout is holding them back due to the budget shortfall and layoffs. Still, I wonder if they would do it anyway.
3) I worry that Garcia will leave at the end of this season if I stay on another year. I'm soooo tired of hearing TV announcers refer to the Hauser brothers as "Marquette transfer....". If they start referring to Garcia as "Marquette transfer...." I will never, ever live down the losses of three star players.
4) Covid shielded me from the booing and from what would have been hostile fans in the stands. Next season I am fair game. I can run but I cannot hide.
5) I have too much pride to just wait until I get fired. I want to save face and get out this year! A new gig is what I need- not another year at Marquette where I am persona non grata and branded as incompetent.
6) I'm going to test the waters (or have my agent do some bird dogging for me) and try to negotiate a deal with Marquette and possibly involve my new school as well. Marquette wants me gone and I want to be gone. It's a just matter of working out a deal. If I play my cards right, I come out of this with a new gig, my pride, and enough money to keep me happy.
7) Goodbye Marquette!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2021, 01:44:24 PM »
That sure sounds like Crean's or Buzz's story.  We will see if Wojo is different.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2021, 01:53:01 PM »
This may be splitting hairs but I want him FIRED. Relieved of his duties. Let go.

Wojo voluntarily making a move to another school gives him an out where it looks like he made the choice. And it gives the independent observer the illusion that Wojo leaving for whatever school (Wake, Penn State, Mizzou) was at least a lateral move.

If we allow that to happen it would be the final kick to the nuts Wojo takes at the prestige of our program. He’s already nearly destroyed it with 7 years of complete and utter national irrelevance.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2021, 01:54:28 PM »
This may be splitting hairs but I want him FIRED. Relieved of his duties. Let go.

Wojo voluntarily making a move to another school gives him an out where it looks like he made the choice. And it gives the independent observer the illusion that Wojo leaving for whatever school (Wake, Penn State, Mizzou) was at least a lateral move.

If we allow that to happen it would be the final kick to the nuts Wojo takes at the prestige of our program. He’s already nearly destroyed it with 7 years of complete and utter national irrelevance.

You want MU to have to spend a ton of money to fire him just so you get that moment of satisfaction?

It's best case scenario of MU if he leaves on his own accord.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2021, 01:55:35 PM »

Haha who cares?

panda

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2021, 01:56:54 PM »
If I'm Wojo

1) I am guessing that MU will not fire me at the end of the season but I am not really sure. I'm nervous.
2) I realize that they would probably really like to fire me but the buyout is holding them back due to the budget shortfall and layoffs. Still, I wonder if they would do it anyway.
3) I worry that Garcia will leave at the end of this season if I stay on another year. I'm soooo tired of hearing TV announcers refer to the Hauser brothers as "Marquette transfer....". If they start referring to Garcia as "Marquette transfer...." I will never, ever live down the losses of three star players.
4) Covid shielded me from the booing and from what would have been hostile fans in the stands. Next season I am fair game. I can run but I cannot hide.
5) I have too much pride to just wait until I get fired. I want to save face and get out this year! A new gig is what I need- not another year at Marquette where I am persona non grata and branded as incompetent.
6) I'm going to test the waters (or have my agent do some bird dogging for me) and try to negotiate a deal with Marquette and possibly involve my new school as well. Marquette wants me gone and I want to be gone. It's a just matter of working out a deal. If I play my cards right, I come out of this with a new gig, my pride, and enough money to keep me happy.
7) Goodbye Marquette!

Yep - He'd be a fool to not realize this isn't working out. He's hurting his future employability with every game he coaches. Almost any opportunity that comes up after this season will give him more long term stability than where he's at now.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2021, 01:58:00 PM »
You want MU to have to spend a ton of money to fire him just so you get that moment of satisfaction?

It's best case scenario of MU if he leaves on his own accord.
If you read the post it’s not for my own satisfaction. It’s so that the program can salvage any remaining prestige that it has by showing that coach Wojo is not good enough.