Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If You're Wojo...  (Read 20216 times)

Silent Verbal

• All American
Re: If You're Wojo...
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2021, 10:25:38 PM »
Why do people think that a struggling P6 school would want to hire him?  Maybe after last season there would've still been a chance.  There is ZERO reason to believe it would happen now. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2021, 10:25:44 PM »
I have been hearing rumors that the recent $31 million donation includes a buyout of his contract.

Please let it be so and end this insanity.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2021, 10:26:59 PM »
Not true

panda

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2021, 10:28:17 PM »
Why do people think that a struggling P6 school would want to hire him?  Maybe after last season there would've still been a chance.  There is ZERO reason to believe it would happen now.

Fordham

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2021, 10:29:13 PM »
Never backpedaled without brains.  In fact I said I’d bet on it.  It’s hard to say 100% he’s gone with Scholl and Lovell, but I firmly believe he is.

Want to bet?  $1000?

Again an immediate backpedal.

And no, I don’t want to bet.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2021, 10:32:29 PM »
Fordham

I know you're probably joking, but I'd be willing to bet the Fordham coach doesn't even make $500K.  Heck, I'm not even sure the last Penn State coach made $1 million per.  Wojo's not going to leave for a job like that, nor is he worth the money it would cost those schools to pay his buyout.  The only way he's not our coach next year is if MU cans him.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2021, 10:32:47 PM »
Again an immediate backpedal.

And no, I don’t want to bet.

So the same people who agreed to give this bozo a high buy-out, you expect me to have faith in them?  Reasonable.

Have a good night

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2021, 10:33:12 PM »
Oliver Purnell has never been fired. I think he can land at Penn State or Boston College. I hope so at least.

I’m hoping he’s just ready for a fresh start. I can’t imagine next year will be all the pleasant.

I legitimately think he needs a restart as much as Marquette does.  At some point he has to realize (I hope) that he's not only doing Marquette a disservice but he's doing himself one as well.  The longer this goes the more embarrassing his resume becomes.  A restart/rebuild gives him a chance to start from scratch with some some relaxed expectations.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2021, 11:32:52 PM »
So the same people who agreed to give this bozo a high buy-out, you expect me to have faith in them?  Reasonable.

Have a good night

Then stop saying “He’s gone. I told you all for months and I can’t wait for everyone who was talking sh*t to take it back!” You talk like you’re in the know, then immediately say “you expect me to trust the people making these decisions?!”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2021, 11:51:28 PM »
I have been hearing rumors that the recent $31 million donation includes a buyout of his contract.

I think his tenure is finally coming to end.

I would get new sources
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2021, 11:55:17 PM »
He’ll get another job, but he’ll never be paid like this again. He’ll settle into some obscure school where consistent mediocrity is all anyone has ever wanted. Wake Forest. But Wake Forest don’t pay like MU.

Danny Manning made more than Wojo does. I don't know about the current guy.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2021, 11:57:11 PM »
I’ve said for weeks he’s gone.  A lot of people talked s***, can’t wait for them to eat crow soon.

He's not yet. He might be. But that trigger is far from pulled.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2021, 11:59:30 PM »
Not to relitigate the potential buyout, but what in the world is the point of a clause like that from MU’s perspective?  Were we in some type of bidding war for Steve Wojo?  It makes no sense - you hamstrung yourself for a guy that should’ve been on a “prove it” deal. He had no other good options. We folded aces while Wojo was holding a deuce/seven.

All P6 (all D1?) coaches have a buyout clause. It's an industry standard. The buyout is in line with other coaches of Wojo's level.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2021, 12:07:07 AM »
OK, Mr. Reporter:

Here is the entirety of your posts regarding your "scoops" (or MUScoops, if you will) about Wojo's future:

I wouldn’t be so sure wojo will be here next year.  Maybe y’all have heard differently, but from what I hear it’s not so certain.

The above is not a declaration that he's gone. This is you saying you're not certain he'll be back.

I said it two games ago, but I firmly believe wojo is gone this year.  I’d bet on it.

Actually, 2 games ago you said only that you weren't certain Wojo would be back. Now you are making a firm declaration, though, so that's cool.

Sultan and 82,

Time will tell. It’s time for a change and not that my opinion means anything to the brass, but others opinions do.

Why the domer is the current AD is another question I have but we shall see what happens.

ND sucks

With the above, you have softened your tone considerably to "Time will tell" and "We shall see" ... both of which are significantly different from "Wojo is gone."

If I was to bet, i think he’s gone.  Hope I’m right, and I’m planning on being wrong.

Here you're saying that IF you bet, you'd bet on him being gone. But you're only HOPING that's true and, in fact, you're PLANNING on it being wrong. You want syrup with those waffles?

Anyone care to wager?  I’ve proven many wrong previously.  Talk is cheap.

Wager on what? That you're hoping he's gone but planning on being wrong?

The good news is wojo will be gone after this year

With the above, you're finally back to a solid statement. That WOULD be good news.

He gowne.  Be patient, Billy.

- Sydney Dean

And again, firm prediction.

Wojo will be gone. Hopefully the players stay because there is talent, just zero coaching.

And again.

He’s gone.

And again.

I’ve said for weeks he’s gone.  A lot of people talked s***, can’t wait for them to eat crow soon.

Actually, you didn't. Not on Scoop anyway. It was 11 days ago, on Jan. 31, that you only said you "hear it's not so certain" Wojo would be back. And just 3 days ago, on Feb. 7, you were still saying, "Time will tell," and "We shall see what happens," and "Hope I’m right, and I’m planning on being wrong." All of those are many miles from "He's gone."

Never backpedaled without brains.  In fact I said I’d bet on it.  It’s hard to say 100% he’s gone with Scholl and Lovell, but I firmly believe he is.

Want to bet?  $1000?

There you are saying you're not 100% sure, but offering to bet again.

Have a good night

So ... do you "firmly believe wojo is gone this year"? Or do you not have faith he is gone this year because you lack faith in Marquette's decision-makers?

Mr. Reporter, if you think he's gone, please say it without hedging.

As for me, I don't know if he's gone or not. I hope he is. I have been saying since Jan. 25 that not only should Wojo be fired, but it should have happened right after the DePaul game, with an interim taking over for the rest of the season and a search starting immediately. But there is a 7-figure buyout to dump him, a pandemic going on, and an administration that does not seem to disapprove of the job he's doing, so I'm pretty realistic about the prospects.

So I very much am rooting for you to be right -- that is, when you actually have made strong statements rather than wishy-washy ones.

Basically, what you've done is this:

You've said multiple times that Wojo is gone. So if he is gone, you can say, "I told you so. Eat crow!" But you've also said multiple times that you can't be certain he's gone because of our clueless administration. So if he isn't gone, you can just shrug and say, "I know lots of high-ranking people who want him gone, and I thought he'd be gone, but Lovell is clueless, so what are ya gonna do?"

Well done!

And no, I won't bet you. Because I don't know, and I don't make bets unless I have a strong belief that I'll be correct.

Have a nice night.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 12:10:02 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2021, 12:10:56 AM »
OK, Mr. Reporter:

Here is the entirety of your posts regarding your "scoops" (or MUScoops, if you will) about Wojo's future:

The above is not a declaration that he's gone. This is you saying you're not certain he'll be back.

Actually, 2 games ago you said only that you weren't certain Wojo would be back. Now you are making a firm declaration, though, so that's cool.

With the above, you have softened your tone considerably to "Time will tell" and "We shall see" ... both of which are significantly different from "Wojo is gone."

Here you're saying that IF you bet, you'd bet on him being gone. But you're only HOPING that's true and, in fact, you're PLANNING on it being wrong. You want syrup with those waffles?

With the above, you're finally back to a solid statement. That WOULD be good news.

And again.

And again.

Actually, you didn't. Not on Scoop anyway. It was 11 days ago, on Jan. 31, that you only said you "hear it's not so certain" Wojo would be back. And just 3 days ago, on Feb. 7, you were still saying, "Time will tell," and "We shall see what happens," and "Hope I’m right, and I’m planning on being wrong." All of those are many miles from "He's gone."

So ... do you "firmly believe wojo is gone this year"? Or do you not have faith he is gone this year because you lack faith in Marquette's decision-makers?

As for me, I don't know if he's gone or not. I hope he is. I have been saying since Jan. 25 that not only should Wojo be fired, but it should have happened right after the DePaul game, with an interim taking over for the rest of the season and a search starting immediately. But there is a 7-figure buyout to dump him, a pandemic going on, and an administration that does not seem to disapprove of the job he's doing, so I'm pretty realistic about the prospects.

So I very much am rooting for you to be right -- that is, when you actually have made strong statements rather than wishy-washy ones.

You've said multiple times that Wojo is gone. So if he is gone, you can say, "I told you so. Eat crow!" But you've also said multiple times that you can't be certain he's gone because of our clueless administration. So if he isn't gone, you can just shrug and say, "I know lots of high-ranking people who want him gone, and I thought he'd be gone, but Lovell is clueless, so what are ya gonna do?"

Well done!

And no, I won't bet you. Because I don't know, and I don't make bets unless I have a strong belief that I'll be correct.

Have a nice night.
jeez

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2021, 09:32:42 AM »
The thing that worries me about this situation is if he is still here next year, the Fiserv Forum is going to be a nasty place to be.  I myself am not the type to boo a coach/team that I'm supposedly a fan of but I do get the utter frustration from our fans (I'm incredibly frustrated myself).  When you as an administration decide to bring back this coach, you have to be realistic and not act completely shocked and disgusted when he gets booed the hell out of at our home games.  This isn't year 3 of his tenure.  We are in year 8 and have pretty much nothing to show for it.  Although who knows, maybe the FF will be completely empty next year if he's still around.  I've went to every MU game over the years but if he's back next year I may go to just a few when it's convenient on weekends.  Definitely not renewing season tickets though that's for sure.

burger

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
When the "older alumni" start asking the "do you fire WOJO question" on Zoom calls with others.....

He better start getting his "resume polished".....

Definition = older alumni start with 3 zero's......

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2021, 09:40:45 AM »
The thing that worries me about this situation is if he is still here next year, the Fiserv Forum is going to be a nasty place to be.  I myself am not the type to boo a coach/team that I'm supposedly a fan of but I do get the utter frustration from our fans (I'm incredibly frustrated myself).  When you as an administration decide to bring back this coach, you have to be realistic and not act completely shocked and disgusted when he gets booed the hell out of at our home games.  This isn't year 3 of his tenure.  We are in year 8 and have pretty much nothing to show for it.  Although who knows, maybe the FF will be completely empty next year if he's still around.  I've went to every MU game over the years but if he's back next year I may go to just a few when it's convenient on weekends.  Definitely not renewing season tickets though that's for sure.

Shouldn't worry you one bit. That's the administration's problem and only they can act on all aspects of it, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2021, 09:54:03 AM »
If Wojo goes we will just hire some other assistant coach from somewhere and rebuild over the next 5 years. Or try to.  If we could get some hotshot coach to come great.  But we go the assistant route.  That’s a long rebuild.   If it happens. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2021, 09:58:49 AM »
Rip da band-aid off. Gotta start, no point in prolongin' da agony. Either Woj can get it dun. Or he kant, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2021, 10:08:10 AM »
Until the administration tells Wojo he is doing a bad job I believe he is perfectly happy.
The only one he needs to please is his employer.
Now maybe next year with fans in the stands they can help influence his employer.
But until then he will collect his paycheck and say "Thank you Marquette!"
But hey, until then, nothing wrong with dreaming.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 10:09:55 AM by NCMUFan »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2021, 10:10:08 AM »
What if MU demotes him? Can they just drop him down to some level of assistant and promote Killings or another assistant as interim HC? Is there any kind of precedent for something like that? It's not a firing, so there's no buyout, but you've got to think Wojo would have to look for another job at that point.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2021, 10:10:50 AM »
OK, Mr. Reporter:

And again.

And again.

Well done!

Have a nice night.

Still pissed off that you were absolutely wrong on the Canadian prospect and I was right?  But then when I was correct you complained and said I was cheering for Marquette to not get recruits.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2021, 10:11:53 AM »
What if MU demotes him? Can they just drop him down to some level of assistant and promote Killings or another assistant as interim HC? Is there any kind of precedent for something like that? It's not a firing, so there's no buyout, but you've got to think Wojo would have to look for another job at that point.

I'm pretty sure his contract calls for him to be the head coach of the basketball team.  They can't just demote him or have him sweep floors or some such.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2021, 10:15:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure his contract calls for him to be the head coach of the basketball team.  They can't just demote him or have him sweep floors or some such.

But does it say the sole head coach? I mean maybe MU can just have a second basketball team for Wojo to "coach" in the old gym while someone else plays against the big boys
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback