Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Give Killings the Keys  (Read 12524 times)

1SE

• All American
Re: Give Killings the Keys
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2021, 02:02:01 AM »
Now? Or is an almost-comeback/ almost turn the season around worth a couple years of extension?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2021, 09:16:16 AM »
Time to make the break. Today.

Wojo is not evil, and is not even a horrible coach. Horrible coaches don't recruit like he has and don't go to the NCAA tournament 3 times in 4 years.

He simply isn't good enough. We simply can do better. 6 1/2 years has given us plenty of time to see that a change is necessary.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2021, 09:19:38 AM »
Nah Nads, iz Stuper Bowl Sunday. Wee won't get no ink in da papers wit dis nail bitin' decision. Gotta wait, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2021, 09:23:40 AM »
Now? Or is an almost-comeback/ almost turn the season around worth a couple years of extension?
LOL!

All jokes aside, Wojo has done nothing in the past two years (since his last extension) to justify an extension. IF MU gives him an extension (something I doubt) it would be to set the table for a small buyout after next year.  It maybe a solid strategy by MU but it could also take the wind out of Wojo's sails and we could see him mail it in next year.

Such is the world of big time college basketball. There are no great options when programs pick the wrong guy for the job. Nothing unique to MU.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2021, 09:46:43 AM »
Nah Nads, iz Stuper Bowl Sunday. Wee won't get no ink in da papers wit dis nail bitin' decision. Gotta wait, aina?

Buhht wirunt yu sayun ink-in-da-papers wasint emportunt wen Markus browt it 2 us doe?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2021, 09:50:40 AM »
LOL!

All jokes aside, Wojo has done nothing in the past two years (since his last extension) to justify an extension. IF MU gives him an extension (something I doubt) it would be to set the table for a small buyout after next year.  It maybe a solid strategy by MU but it could also take the wind out of Wojo's sails and we could see him mail it in next year.

Such is the world of big time college basketball. There are no great options when programs pick the wrong guy for the job. Nothing unique to MU.

Nope.

For “Removing Wind 💨 from Sails 🚣‍♀️” see Buzz/Larry/Pilarz
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2021, 09:53:34 AM »
Buhht wirunt yu sayun ink-in-da-papers wasint emportunt wen Markus browt it 2 us doe?

The goal is not to have a good player.

Our kenpom during the Markus era was 31, 33, 53, 32.  Definition of mediocre. The fact we couldn’t build a decent team around an all American is actually the most damning example that Wojo isn’t up for it. 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2021, 10:06:35 AM »
I don’t know much about how programs use their assistant coaches, but aren’t all 3 guys usually recruiting? Who have Gainey or Prusetti brought to the program? I know Killings landed Justin Lewis and Torrence, but not sure who is/was the lead on any of the other current players or incoming players.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2021, 10:13:45 AM »
I don’t know much about how programs use their assistant coaches, but aren’t all 3 guys usually recruiting? Who have Gainey or Prusetti brought to the program? I know Killings landed Justin Lewis and Torrence, but not sure who is/was the lead on any of the other current players or incoming players.

Gainey was the lead recruiter with Aidoo. He’s only been here since last summer so that’s probably it.

No idea about Prusetti.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2021, 10:14:30 AM »
LOL!

Why would he mail it in when it would be easier for MU to fire him?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2021, 10:17:47 AM »
I don%u2019t know much about how programs use their assistant coaches, but aren%u2019t all 3 guys usually recruiting? Who have Gainey or Prusetti brought to the program? I know Killings landed Justin Lewis and Torrence, but not sure who is/was the lead on any of the other current players or incoming players.

Here's what i recollect as far as the lead assistant on each guy

Current:
Carton--??
McKewen--Stan
Elliott--??
Cain--Stan
Torrence--Killings
John--Stan
Perez--Killings
Akanno--Stan
Lewis--Killings
Oso--Stan
Garcia--Stan

Incoming:
Mitchell--Killings
Jones--Killings
Aidoo--Gainey

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2021, 10:20:56 AM »
Nope.

For “Removing Wind 💨 from Sails 🚣‍♀️” see Buzz/Larry/Pilarz
I don't follow. "Nope" it would not it would not take the wind out of Wojo's sails? Buzz/Larry/Pilarz have used up MU's coaches' ability to have the wind taken from their sails the next 20 years?

I assume you then think it is a solid strategy to extend him to position MU for a low buyout next year? I would not disagree with that position. 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2021, 10:21:25 AM »
Gainey was the lead recruiter with Aidoo. He’s only been here since last summer so that’s probably it.

No idea about Prusetti.

Which looks to be a nice get, so thank you. YoungMUFan4 provided a list and I’m not seeing Prusetti’s name listed at all. Was just wondering what his role was.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2021, 10:58:13 AM »
Here's what i recollect as far as the lead assistant on each guy

Current:
Carton--??
McKewen--Stan
Elliott--??
Cain--Stan
Torrence--Killings
John--Stan
Perez--Killings
Akanno--Stan
Lewis--Killings
Oso--Stan
Garcia--Stan

Incoming:
Mitchell--Killings
Jones--Killings
Aidoo--Gainey

I thought both Cain & Elliott were Brett Nelson recruits.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2021, 02:45:10 PM »
I thought DJ was a Wojo recruit. Isn't the story that DJ was at Wojo's camp and that they had built a relationship that mattered once DJ became a free agent? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2021, 03:08:25 PM »
Time to make the break. Today.

Wojo is not evil, and is not even a horrible coach. Horrible coaches don't recruit like he has and don't go to the NCAA tournament 3 times in 4 years.

He simply isn't good enough. We simply can do better. 6 1/2 years has given us plenty of time to see that a change is necessary.

If they didn't want to fire him before the Creighton game, nothing that happened during the Creighton game that would have changed that opinion.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2021, 03:10:42 PM »
If they didn't want to fire him before the Creighton game, nothing that happened during the Creighton game that would have changed that opinion.

Of course you are correct. I don't expect them to fire him after the season, either, even if we end up with only the same 9 wins we have today.

Doesn't change my opinion, which I think is reasonable. I know you disagree about firing him in the season, and I respect that.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2021, 07:44:46 AM »
I don’t know that firing him mid-season is the best move. For one, I don’t want them to think Killings is the guy if they go on a little bit of a run at the end of the year just because they made some changes. Gard is turning out to be a good coach, but it put them in pretty awkward position.

Also, I don’t know that a mid-season firing makes this job more attractive to other coaches.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2021, 07:52:44 AM »
Gard is turning out to be a good coach, but it put them in pretty awkward position.

....by Bo’s design.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2021, 08:07:49 AM »
YOU'RE FIRED!

Good for T.V., but no way to run a railroad.
To continue, we are on the right track notwithstanding that is very, very painful to watch.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2021, 10:31:44 PM »
Now? Or do we cut Wojo slack because had  he had Lewis this wouldn't have been a 32 point loss?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2021, 10:33:37 PM »
Clean house. We shouldn't want any fingerprint of the Wojo era in our program moving forward.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2021, 10:36:44 PM »
Clean house. We shouldn't want any fingerprint of the Wojo era in our program moving forward.

Exactly!  Almost as insane as keeping the Duke failure. There’s zero reason to believe any of them can coach. They’re part of this raging dumpster fire after all.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2021, 10:40:25 PM »
Bring back Wainwright as caretaker coach.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2021, 10:41:47 PM »
Bring back Wainwright as caretaker coach.

That is funny.  Thank you.  Now I can go to bed smiling.

feedback