Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Give Killings the Keys  (Read 12525 times)

1SE

• All American
Give Killings the Keys
« on: January 31, 2021, 05:00:28 PM »
Promote him to some new made up position, "senior BB VP " and make Wojo report to him.

Probably won't make a lick of difference but what is there to lose. He might go Gard and right the ship. Probably only chance of keeping Garcia and Lewis - probably Carton too if he thinks he could get another waiver (I suspect NCAA will be pretty liberal with them).

If Wojo has a shred of dignity or professionalism he'll resign. If not, keep him on staff and let him be the world's highest paid ball boy for another two years.

No one can possibly think Wojo is the long term answer at MU anymore. Let's get creative and move on.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Give Killings the Keys
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 05:02:12 PM »
Probably only chance of keeping Garcia and Lewis - probably Carton too if he thinks he could get another waiver (I suspect NCAA will be pretty liberal with them).

If Wojo is going to go, then let the roster go along with him. It will be a rebuild that goes as far as the new coach can take it. No use trying to figure out how to save the team of the guy that we don't want anyway. Let the new coach figure that out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Knights Commission

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 05:03:00 PM »
What about Jamie McNeily???

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 05:03:40 PM »
Killings?

He’s worse than Steve in every way.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 05:04:22 PM »
Killings?

Seriously wtf??

1SE

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 05:04:28 PM »
If Wojo is going to go, then let the roster go along with him. It will be a rebuild that goes as far as the new coach can take it. No use trying to figure out how to save the team of the guy that we don't want anyway. Let the new coach figure that out.

If Killings can gel this team great- it IS a talented group.

If not, and a new coach came In and there was mutual interest grwar, if not sure, empty the cupboard and start fresh. That's probably what's going to happen anyway.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 05:04:33 PM »
Promote him to some new made up position, "senior BB VP " and make Wojo report to him.

Probably won't make a lick of difference but what is there to lose. He might go Gard and right the ship. Probably only chance of keeping Garcia and Lewis - probably Carton too if he thinks he could get another waiver (I suspect NCAA will be pretty liberal with them).

If Wojo has a shred of dignity or professionalism he'll resign. If not, keep him on staff and let him be the world's highest paid ball boy for another two years.

No one can possibly think Wojo is the long term answer at MU anymore. Let's get creative and move on.

1. Then he couldn’t coach.
2. We’ve replaced the Cult of Stan with the Cult of Killings? SMH.

Carton wouldn’t get a waiver for a second voluntary transfer.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

1SE

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 05:05:34 PM »
Killings?

Very well could be, but mufht as well huve him a shot and try to put some pressure on Wojo to resign.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 05:06:38 PM »
Why not hire Joe Chapman?

1SE

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 05:10:01 PM »
why not? Wojo is not going to right this Ship. Try anyone. If Wojo doesn't have the decency to resign make him sweep the gym floor to earn his 2 million per year.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 05:12:18 PM »
Woj made 74k for this game.  Let that sink in.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 05:13:11 PM »
provably about the starting salary for am assistant Prof

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2021, 05:18:51 PM »

No issue with moving on from Wojo but I don’t think it’s as simple as letting the whole roster go. Carton, Dawson and JL are really nice young pieces.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2021, 05:20:54 PM »
No issue with moving on from Wojo but I don’t think it’s as simple as letting the whole roster go. Carton, Dawson and JL are really nice young pieces.

Yeah, if they and a new coach hot of off im totally on board with keeping that core.

Wojo is, yet again, squandering the talent he somehow brings in

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 05:22:19 PM »
They will all leave with Wojo...so be it, to be expected. Carton is maddening, Dawson and Lewis deserve better.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2021, 05:30:27 PM »
If you want to get rid of the head coach, you have to expect that there will be some player turnover.
What you have to decide is, is the former worth the latter?

Personally, I have seen enough. If Wojo got the axe and everyone on the roster bailed and all of the commits opted out, I'd still think we were on the right path.

I've tried to dislike Wojo, but that's not fair. I'm transferring my thoughts about the ball he produces onto him. He is upright, stands by his players, gives boring interviews, and, of course runs a "clean" program.

Seven years of mediocrity and ineptitude have demonstrated that it is extremely unlikely that Marquette University will ever have a reasonably successful men's basketball program with this head coach.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2021, 05:35:52 PM »
Give this program an enema and let's start fresh with some probiotics, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2021, 05:38:54 PM »

Sure, and if they want to stay, you let them stay, but you don't keep a coach or retain part of his staff to keep players that will be here at most 3 years. Hiring a coach is a process that lasts 6-20 years. It requires that coach being able to put their stamp and style into the program. I'd rather just let the new coach make those decisions than try to keep alive vestiges of an era that we so desperately want to say goodbye to.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2021, 06:31:37 PM »
Sure, and if they want to stay, you let them stay, but you don't keep a coach or retain part of his staff to keep players that will be here at most 3 years. Hiring a coach is a process that lasts 6-20 years. It requires that coach being able to put their stamp and style into the program. I'd rather just let the new coach make those decisions than try to keep alive vestiges of an era that we so desperately want to say goodbye to.

Completely fair. I guess I’m just hoping for the best of both worlds. I’m also not particularly confident they’ll chose the right replacement.  That’s certainly not a reason not to make a change but I’m worried about worst-case scenario.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2021, 11:16:01 PM »
Fire Wojo today.

Make Killings the interim coach.

Get a jump on the coaching search.

Regarding the roster and next year's recruits ... whatever happens happens. You can't be afraid to fire the coach if it's the right thing to do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BigWilly77

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2021, 11:43:41 PM »
What about Jamie McNeily???

LOL! Haven’t heard that name in ages. Wonder if he’s still involved with Buzz?

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2021, 11:52:01 PM »
google is your friend: 
https://12thman.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/jamie-mcneilly/1303

LOL! Haven’t heard that name in ages. Wonder if he’s still involved with Buzz?

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2021, 12:14:32 AM »
Fire Wojo today.

Make Killings the interim coach.

Get a jump on the coaching search.

Regarding the roster and next year's recruits ... whatever happens happens. You can't be afraid to fire the coach if it's the right thing to do.
click bait....sit down! lol

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2021, 12:28:52 AM »
Why not hire Joe Chapman?

He's got more championships then wojo has tournament wins.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 09:28:46 AM »
The problem with Killings is it might be more of the same.  Incompetence enjoys being surrounded by incompetence.  The goal is to get Wojo to resign and not pay a buy-out.  The season could be a write-off already, so have some fun with it.  Take a lesson from the EPL and bring in a "caretaker" for the remainder of the season.  Move Wojo to an administrative role until he goes.  Take away his office, his budget, his staff and give him a little desk in the athletic department bullpen and some towels to wash.

The caretaker could be anyone.  Tony Smith, Novak, Fitz, Heldt, McIlvane.   Get the guys to have fun, play hard and play with some freedom, knowing that they will all probably leave due to the coaching change.  Meanwhile look for a good coach and make the hire as soon as the season ends - or even before - so the recruiting can begin.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

feedback