Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does anyone even care anymore?  (Read 13236 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Does anyone even care anymore?
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2021, 09:41:41 AM »
For the record, I'm all USM all the time, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2021, 10:19:17 AM »
Like many of you, I am losing interest real fast.  The last several years at least we had a player in Markus that made every game must-watch.  Now...who do you all tune in to see play?  Theo? One Carton play each game?

That one Carton play is always legit though.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2021, 10:20:35 AM »
I care, it my alma mater and want them to be successful. But don't care to emotionally invest myself into this team vs care that MUBB hoops doesn't drop any lower are two different things.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2021, 10:21:08 AM »
Doc

The boys beat MUHS in double OT. State is coming up and gunning for fourth state title in last 15 years.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2021, 10:33:00 AM »
USM's program and facilities is the gold standard.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2021, 10:56:02 AM »
I don't know that I'll watch another game.  I've been a season ticket holder since birth.  I met Al 10-15 times as a kid, attended practices when TC and Buzz were at MU, received a grad degree from MU, etc.  The only thing keeping me watching is I like the players and staff as people.  They are really good representatives of the university, and maybe that along with Wojo's mediocre success should be good enough, but I'm having a hard time wanting to delay what I have come to believe is inevitable.  I TRULY hope I'm wrong, but I also hope I don't have to sit through 3-4 more years of this.  Both parties should move on.  I'll enjoy watching a new coach try to build a program more than I will watching Wojo sustain these results.

Like Brother Avid, I have been a fan since I was old enough to know what a basketball was. My father was an MU Engineering grad and followed the team in the pre-Al days, actually traveling to road games when they were near Nashville. Over the years, my brothers and I or my parents traveled to road games and tournament games when Marquette was in the region when Al was coach. It's what you did when you supported both a university's vision and ideals and its basketball team. When I was at Marquette, I never missed a game -- ever! We knew we had something special back then.

I've been an avid fan since then. But, I have to admit, the only time I was more down on our team was during the Dukiet years. It's as if the university just didn't give a damn anymore. The difference is Dukiet was a lousy recruiter and a lousy coach. I rather think Coach Wojo has assembled the beginnings of a very good team with this bunch, assuming they evolve and we can hold them together. We're not getting any better this year and we're not developing talent the way we should. There just isn't a go-to- guy that's a reliable source for points.

It's really scary when people like Brother Goose become disinterested.

I'm bummed out and I've lost confidence in this team. It's a month until spring training starts (we hope) and I get into the baseball groove. In the meantime, it's water torture to see a proud, winning program look like Marquette does. I'll always follow and be appreciative of Marquette, but I'm not flying halfway across the USA to see them until things change. I might watch them on TV, but then again, if there's a good edition of American Greed on, maybe not!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2021, 11:19:14 AM »
Like watchin' dead plant life, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2021, 11:20:13 AM »
I'll always care. But the enthusiasm is waning.

This.  Fairly numb to the suckage at this point. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2021, 11:21:36 AM »
My brother talked me into joining his NBA fantasy team, so for the first time I have been watching a lot of NBA basketball. Half way through the first half of last nights game, I was thinking why am I bothering to watch such horrible basketball. Even if we won last night, it still would have been bad basketball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2021, 01:42:16 PM »
This.  Fairly numb to the suckage at this point.

I used to plan my days around MU hoops, to the point it upset my wife, even though she was a fan too. Our first date was to the MU/Notre Dame when we retired #77. Last night I figured it was better to stay at work and get some stuff done instead of watching. My wife decided to workout during that time. Not the first time one of us has chosen that route this season. Apathy is the worst thing that can happen to a program and that's happening.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2021, 01:45:15 PM »
I used to plan my days around MU hoops, to the point it upset my wife, even though she was a fan too. Our first date was to the MU/Notre Dame when we retired #77. Last night I figured it was better to stay at work and get some stuff done instead of watching. My wife decided to workout during that time. Not the first time one of us has chosen that route this season. Apathy is the worst thing that can happen to a program and that's happening.

Yep.  And these are the diehards.

I still watch all the games, but just pay way less attention in between games.  Never in my fandom have I been more checked out or cared less.  My wife, also an MU alum, saw me mopping around a couple hours after the game last night and said this "Don't let it ruin your night anymore babe, they've sucked for awhile now."  And it sunk it.  They have sucked for a long time and it blows. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2021, 01:54:49 PM »
Winning always helps, let's be honest it's a different product on TV with no fans, bands, cheerleaders and such as well. Losing makes it to a point of who cares.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2021, 01:59:40 PM »
Winning always helps, let's be honest it's a different product on TV with no fans, bands, cheerleaders and such as well. Losing makes it to a point of who cares.

Eh, the lack of fans has been something I’ve been able to get over pretty quickly. I think the impact is pretty minimal for basketball and football. I think baseball it was incredibly noticeable.

The on court product just isn’t exciting. We make the same turnovers and mistakes every game. When we get up, it’s hoping we don’t blow the lead. When we get down, we usually make it interesting but shoot ourselves in the foot. We’ve seen the movie before and it’s not a good one.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2021, 03:02:10 PM »
We care about #mubb. We don't care about watching a Wojo coached team anymore.

I don’t understand how you reconcile those two in real life. If you care about MU basketball, I would think you would still care about this Wojo-coached team...because like it or not, they ARE MU basketball at least until the end of the season.

I understand the anger and frustration, but at the end of the day these kids still wear uniforms that say Marquette on the front, and I will cheer for them until my kids pull the plug.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2021, 03:08:35 PM »
I guess it comes down to the fact I have more important things in my life than watching a poorly coached team lose to inferior talent. Or you could say I am showing the same level of apathy as the current administration when it comes to #mubb.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2021, 03:11:37 PM »
Eh, the lack of fans has been something I’ve been able to get over pretty quickly.

Agreed. I was plenty excited watching the Wisconsin game.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2021, 03:36:31 PM »
I guess it comes down to the fact I have more important things in my life than watching a poorly coached team lose to inferior talent. Or you could say I am showing the same level of apathy as the current administration when it comes to #mubb.

Where does the narrative that the current administration is apathetic about basketball come from? People keeping posting this but have yet to offer any evidence.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2021, 04:32:13 PM »
Where does the narrative that the current administration is apathetic about basketball come from? People keeping posting this but have yet to offer any evidence.

People don't like Lovell. I can kinda understand that stance.

Or Scholl. But I don't understand that one

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2021, 04:54:58 PM »
I am a proud Marquette grad and have been a fan of Marquette hoops, through thin and thinner, for nearly 50 years.

So yes, I care. I will watch every game and will pull for my alma mater to win every one of them.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2021, 04:56:23 PM »

I've had plenty of fellow alums talk badly about Lovell in generalities. Can anyone give some details of what isn't liked about him and his leadership at MU (other than the fiscal issues, which are probably more COVID related than anything)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2021, 05:15:06 PM »
I've had plenty of fellow alums talk badly about Lovell in generalities. Can anyone give some details of what isn't liked about him and his leadership at MU (other than the fiscal issues, which are probably more COVID related than anything)

I'd like to hear it, too.

I mean, he's got "Love" right in his name!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2021, 05:48:29 PM »
I used to plan my days around MU hoops

I was the same way, BH, but yesterday was different and weird.
Different because it was the first MU @ PC game I haven't been to in over a decade. Weird because after the DePaul debacle I had to give some thought (admittedly not a hell of a lot) to not watching as I was rather dispirited. Then last night they poured salt in the wounds. I actually took some solace in the fact that there was no game this weekend, but of course I'll be at the TV for St. John's -moth to flame, with similar results.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2021, 06:10:21 PM »
I will always root for MU. Have to be there through thick and thin.

That said , my rooting interest right now is for Wojo to do well enough to justify another school that needs a Mr Clean image at Head Coach, to hire him away from MU.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2021, 06:49:37 PM »

Hmm let’s see...
Notre Dame, never see him at games, completely silent to the perpetual suckage of the team, no sports have been really “great” under his watch.

I’ve always hated Bucky but at least Alvarez is a jovial figure that pushes his programs for greatness. Scholl is just another straight laced shill that’s part of the admin’s nice-guy-ification of the University. He’s Wojo with a front office job.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2021, 06:51:20 PM »
There’s just something “fake” about Lovell, Scholl, Wojo. “Nice guys” that know how to take a picture for the front page. No substance beyond that.

feedback