'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Where do we go from here?  (Read 5182 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Where do we go from here?
« on: January 23, 2021, 09:14:45 PM »
This is a really bad loss and it sure sounds like we played a piss poor game.  The overall offensive stats are putrid, especially on the interior.  Not a lot of FT's either.  Without seeing it I would bet our h-c offense was a s-show with overdribbling, poor passing, too much predictability, and zero patience.  What exactly are we running offensively other than the high screen. occasional weave and heave, and apparently dump down to the post?  Where's the movement off the ball or drive and kicks? 

I'm not sure the season is salvageable as far as an NCAA bid but where would you start if we're going to get on track and move the needle in a positive direction?  Or are we simply nowhere near competing for a top half BEast spot?  From my perspective we have top 5 talent but this is a rough result.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 09:16:25 PM by MuggsyB »

The Big East

• All American
Re: Where do we hob from here?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 09:18:52 PM »
This is a really bad loss and it sure sounds like we played a piss poor game.  The overall offensive stats are putrid, especially on the interior.  Not a lot of FT's either.  Without seeing it I would bet our h-c offense was a s-show with overdribbling, poor passing, too much predictability, and zero patience.  What exactly are we running offensively other than the high screen. occasional weave and heave, and apparently dump down to the post?  Where's the movement off the ball or drive and kicks? 

I'm not sure the season is salvageable as far as an NCAA bid but where would you start if we're going to get on track and move the needle in a positive direction?  Or are we simply nowhere near competing for a top half BEast spot?  From my perspective we have top 5 talent but this is a rough result.

The team needs to get back to moving the ball and running crisp offensive plays.   

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 09:22:01 PM »
The team needs to get back to moving the ball and running crisp offensive plays.

It's strange to me we would have a full week to prepare and apparently played with no discipline or poise whatsoever.  To a very mediocre team mind you.  Extremely disappointing.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 09:24:56 PM »
It's strange to me we would have a full week to prepare and apparently played with no discipline or poise whatsoever.  To a very mediocre team mind you.  Extremely disappointing.

Muggsy, reading your posts and are you truly not sure what/ who the root of all the problems is you’re correctly pointing out?  Because it’s quite simple. Don’t overthink this. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Where do we go from here?
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 09:29:19 PM »
Where do we go from here?

Probably the nit and another disappointing season of wojo?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 09:39:18 PM »
Muggsy, reading your posts and are you truly not sure what/ who the root of all the problems is you’re correctly pointing out?  Because it’s quite simple. Don’t overthink this.

I get it...I'm just really frustrated. 

I just watched the final 5 mins.  That Theo g-tend was one of the dumbest plays I have ever seen at that juncture of the game.  WTH was he thinking?  Smh.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 09:40:51 PM »

I just watched the final 5 mins.  That Theo g-tend was one of the dumbest plays I have ever seen at that juncture of the game.  WTH was he thinking?  Smh.

Right. From a four year senior too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 09:46:54 PM »

That was an inexcusable play.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 09:47:20 PM »
Right. From a four year senior too.

In your life have you ever seen anything like that FBM??  That ball was 5 feet from going in.  It would be the equivalent of a tennis player hitting a ball on a fly, back to the other side, that was 15 feet out.  No words can describe how ridiculous that was.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 10:07:12 PM »
In the same way a player might commit a ‘frustration foul’ I think that’s what happened with Theo’s goaltend. He’d had a number number of his own shots blocked, and really only had one successful play on offense all night. I think he trailed behind the play, and fully committed himself to blocking the shot. He couldn’t stop himself, with the frustration of the whole night, and gave up an unnecessary goaltend.

My complaint all night was bad choices by all players. Everyone, throughout the game.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 10:09:22 PM »
TL;DR but to answer the question posed by the title of the thread - you fire the coach and rebuild as soon as administratively possible.

There is no other answer.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 10:10:20 PM »
final four eh?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 10:10:36 PM »

In the same way a player might commit a ‘frustration foul’ I think that’s what happened with Theo’s goaltend. He’d had a number number of his own shots blocked, and really only had one successful play on offense all night. I think he trailed behind the play, and fully committed himself to blocking the shot. He couldn’t stop himself, with the frustration of the whole night, and gave up an unnecessary goaltend.

Yep. Theo is not used to being upstaged in shot-blocking.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 10:16:11 PM »

My complaint all night was bad choices by all players. Everyone, throughout the game.

That may be but that cannot happen at that stage in the game.  And btw trying to block everything can get you in trouble defensively.  It was an unusually stupid play to put it mildly.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 10:19:59 PM »
final four eh?

NIT?

That was a fun run in 1995
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2021, 10:35:20 PM »
The team had been flirting with bad losses recently against Georgetown and St. John’s. DePaul finally got them but it was bound to happen eventually with the way they were playing. There’s a good number of games left so I’m just waiting to see where they end up at the end of the year instead of gnashing teeth after every bounce of the rim that doesn’t go MU’s way.

Tonight might be too much to overcome though and should actually be an argument why DePaul should be kicked out of the league. No conference team should suffer that devastating of a blow for just one game. It was Depauls first road win in conference in nearly 2 years (feb 9, 2019). It was buy game level bad tonight. We were eaten by the cupcake.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2021, 10:40:18 PM »
Tonight might be too much to overcome though and should actually be an argument why DePaul should be kicked out of the league. No conference team should suffer that devastating of a blow for just one game.
DePaul should be kicked out of the league because the consequences when we lose to them are too dire?? Wtf??

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2021, 10:40:44 PM »
The team had been flirting with bad losses recently against Georgetown and St. John’s. DePaul finally got them but it was bound to happen eventually with the way they were playing. There’s a good number of games left so I’m just waiting to see where they end up at the end of the year instead of gnashing teeth after every bounce of the rim that doesn’t go MU’s way.

There might be a good number of games left. Can't take that as a given this year.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2021, 10:44:51 PM »
DePaul should be kicked out of the league because the consequences when we lose to them are too dire?? Wtf??

A bit of hyperbole maybe, but I don’t think it should be understated how bad of a team Wojo and co lost to tonight.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2021, 10:59:54 PM »

We were eaten by the cupcake.

You have a bit of poetry right there.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2021, 11:07:33 PM »

That was an inexcusable play.

Par for the course for Theo. After 4 years he’d still rather hunt blocked shots than play solid defense and rebound the basketball. Low bball IQ.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2021, 06:30:36 AM »
That Theo g-tend was one of the dumbest plays I have ever seen at that juncture of the game.  WTH was he thinking?  Smh.

Theo goaltends after the whistle all the time. It's like he's allergic to seeing the ball go through the hoop. There's been times where I've been worried about him doing it an on impending and-one and that was a really dumb one tonight. I wonder if his habit of always swatting the ball away just got the best of him.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2021, 06:45:51 AM »
Theo goaltends after the whistle all the time. It's like he's allergic to seeing the ball go through the hoop. There's been times where I've been worried about him doing it an on impending and-one and that was a really dumb one tonight. I wonder if his habit of always swatting the ball away just got the best of him.

I've always thought Theo did his dead ball goaltends for psychological reasons, like he doesn't want his opponent to see the ball go through the hoop, even if it wouldn't have counted.  It's become insufferable and the coaches should tell him to knock it off.  My guess?  With this coaching staff, he'll just keep on doing it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2021, 07:23:39 AM »

Theo has improved some as a basketball player. 120 games, 1000 practices and 4 years will do that. But he’s still brain dead out there, still trying to prove his manhood at the expense of the team. A real coach would have stopped this nonsense by January of his freshman year. But at MU the players are in charge.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2021, 07:46:45 AM »
Some changes. 
Start Greg over Jamil.  Greg had some swagger last game.  Greg is someone who can handle the ball who could help the guards when the opposing team starts to pressure us in the back court.
Draw up more plays for Dawson.
More paint touches.
I would say value the ball more, but that appears to be a hopeless cause.