Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo to Penn State?  (Read 8664 times)

The Big East

• All American
Wojo to Penn State?
« on: January 21, 2021, 08:55:35 AM »
If Wojo can end up with a winning season, I think he will be in the running for the Penn State Head Coach opening.

Penn State is going to be looking to bring in someone scandal free and we all know Wojo checks that box . 

Penn State is in the Big Ten ,has good facilities  is close to Wojo’s home town of Baltimore and can afford to pay top salary on a long term contract .So I think this would be an attractive situation for Wojo .

The Lens

• All American
Re: Wojo to Penn State?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 09:02:23 AM »

Penn State is in the Big Ten ,has good facilities  is close to Wojo’s home town of Baltimore and can afford to pay top salary on a long term contract .So I think this would be an attractive situation for Wojo .

I can confirm this is true.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 09:04:59 AM »
Because you want him gone, doesn’t mean that he’s leaving.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 09:14:16 AM »
Because you want him gone, doesn’t mean that he’s leaving.

MU discount with Kieger there, hey? Btw, she is having a tough go at it: 2-21 in the B1G in Year 2 of their rebuild.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 09:14:32 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 09:22:49 AM »
MU discount with Kieger there, hey? Btw, she is having a tough go at it: 2-21 in the B1G in Year 2 of their rebuild.

Grass isn't always greener.

But there's also a difference between the situations. The Big East is a power conference in men's, in women's they are not, especially prior to UConn women's being in. In men's we can match most schools salaries if we desire. In women's we cannot. It's just not a comparable situation between the two.

Also I don't know why TLBE is pointing out that PSU is in the B1G that's a feature not exactly an advantage or benefit or advantage. Sort of like me selling a car saying "it's blue" 
Maigh Eo for Sam

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 09:24:04 AM »
Marquette losing a head coach to Virginia Tech created some very bad optics for the (then) present and future projections of the basketball program.  If Marquette would lose its standing head coach to a program like Penn State, I shutter to think what that would do (again) moving forward. 

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 09:34:10 AM »

But there's also a difference between the situations. The Big East is a power conference in men's, in women's they are not, especially prior to UConn women's being in. In men's we can match most schools salaries if we desire. In women's we cannot. It's just not a comparable situation between the two.

Also I don't know why TLBE is pointing out that PSU is in the B1G that's a feature not exactly an advantage or benefit or advantage. Sort of like me selling a car saying "it's blue"

Meh, she's getting paid a lot more. She's probably not upset about that.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 09:35:30 AM »
Marquette losing a head coach to Virginia Tech created some very bad optics for the (then) present and future projections of the basketball program.  If Marquette would lose its standing head coach to a program like Penn State, I shutter to think what that would do (again) moving forward. 

Jeez.  I wonder who's to blame for that???
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 09:35:58 AM »
Meh, she's getting paid a lot more. She's probably not upset about that.

Well that's what I was saying in everything after my opening sentence
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 09:39:52 AM »

Is this what it's come to with coach evaluations? New coach inherits a program in which the previous coach has one winning season in its final five, and win in year one or bust? I know some live in an instant gratification world, but this seems quite extreme.

Kieger was 4-14 in the Big East (without UConn) in her first MU season and did fine. She may or may not have success at Penn St., or perhaps even something in between. (I am indifferent to any of that) But let's see what happens in 4-5 years first, and be a little bit more fair in giving an evaluation.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:41:24 AM by shoothoops »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 09:43:16 AM »
Bad optics for whom? I'll give you the fan base but clearly not bad optics for recruits and I'm willing to bet that those who are CBB professionals know exactly why we 'lost' our head coach and that does not reflect poorly on MU.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 09:44:57 AM »
Is this what it's come to with coach evaluations? New coach inherits a program in which the previous coach has one winning season in its final five, and win in year one or bust? I know some live in an instant gratification world, but this seems quite extreme.

Kieger was 4-14 in the Big East (without UConn) in her first MU season and did fine. She may or may not have success at Penn St., or perhaps even something in between. But let's see what happens in 4-5 years first.

Well if you read the second portion of my post I explain that there was at least two great reasons to leave MU for PSU for Keiger. Fact is that the grass is not always greener. If she's successful, good on her it was greener. If she's not, then bummer grass wasn't, as of now it's looking like a harder rebuild than MU was. Either way she made money and I'm sure will be welcomed back if she flops at PSU once Duffy leaves us for a major program.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 09:48:51 AM »

Kieger was 4-14 in the Big East (without UConn) in her first MU season and did fine. She may or may not have success at Penn St., or perhaps even something in between. (I am indifferent to any of that) But let's see what happens in 4-5 years first, and be a little bit more fair in giving an evaluation.

She is rebuilding just like at MU with a roster full of freshman but at PSU she also had sprinkled in some transfers to bridge. No one is saying she should be fired, just that it's a tougher go in the football rich B1G where the non-revenue sports are more competitive. 

I have no doubt she will be successful but it will take longer at PSU. WBB had a much stronger history there while MBB has been mediocre for years.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 09:50:52 AM »
Related to the pay conversation - there's a strong current of "we can't afford to fire Wojo this year but if he voluntarily leaves, that would be great" on this board.  That's kind of conveniently ignoring that Wojo is paid a little over $2M per year, which ranks about 50th nationally. For how much we talk about MU's basketball spend, its not going toward an outsized spend on the head coach right now.

Even if there weren't any financial commitments hanging out there to Wojo, could Marquette afford to just hire the best available replacement? In 2019 Oztelberger signed a deal with UNLV for $1.1/year with annual $100k increases.  He would have to pay 75% of the remaining money on his contract as a buyout if he left this offseason (the date he leaves matters, but I'm assuming MU would have to hire him before the buyout drops on July 1 - https://watchstadium.com/unlv-coach-t-j-otzelberger-signs-five-year-contract-salary-incentives-buyout-04-03-2019/

Its just one example, but that would leave MU on the hook for a $3.15 million buyout plus a contract for at least, say, $1.5M for like 5 years.  Point being, I don't think MU can afford to go out and hire TJ Otzelberger. And at that point, what are we doing? The money issue doesn't just go away if Wojo decided to leave voluntarily. If Wojo leaves, I think there's a fair chance we end up with Wardle for financial reasons (making $681k).

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 10:01:55 AM »
Then we can finally hire Chris Beard
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 10:02:09 AM »
Well if you read the second portion of my post I explain that there was at least two great reasons to leave MU for PSU for Keiger. Fact is that the grass is not always greener. If she's successful, good on her it was greener. If she's not, then bummer grass wasn't, as of now it's looking like a harder rebuild than MU was. Either way she made money and I'm sure will be welcomed back if she flops at PSU once Duffy leaves us for a major program.

In my opinion, we are years away from a Kieger evaluation discussion at Penn St., Good, bad, indifferent. She's had one completed season.

Any revenue coach is going to get 3-5 seasons, sometimes more to see what he or she can do with a program. Non-revenue often gets even more.  It's common for some revenue coaches to take 3-5 seasons to build, rebuild, or even keep something going depending on the situation. If someone asked me what do I think of the job Kieger has done at PSU, my answer would be incomplet, she just got there, check back in a few seasons. A few exceptions to this are scandals or an extreme of losing every game for a few seasons, etc..

Apples to oranges. Wojo was 4-14 his first year at MU. It was understood that it was his first season at MU. Wojo has had six completed seasons, and very roughly speaking, he has MU right around 5th or 6th as a program in the current Big East. That would be fair to say. That's what he is and has been at MU as we progress through year 7. Maybe that will improve, stay similar, or get worse. But that's what his record says he is over a six year period of time at MU.  It seems more reasonable for people to discuss that all they want and what they think of that, good, bsd, indifferent.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:12:18 AM by shoothoops »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 10:36:23 AM »
Related to the pay conversation - there's a strong current of "we can't afford to fire Wojo this year but if he voluntarily leaves, that would be great" on this board.  That's kind of conveniently ignoring that Wojo is paid a little over $2M per year, which ranks about 50th nationally. For how much we talk about MU's basketball spend, its not going toward an outsized spend on the head coach right now.

Even if there weren't any financial commitments hanging out there to Wojo, could Marquette afford to just hire the best available replacement? In 2019 Oztelberger signed a deal with UNLV for $1.1/year with annual $100k increases.  He would have to pay 75% of the remaining money on his contract as a buyout if he left this offseason (the date he leaves matters, but I'm assuming MU would have to hire him before the buyout drops on July 1 - https://watchstadium.com/unlv-coach-t-j-otzelberger-signs-five-year-contract-salary-incentives-buyout-04-03-2019/

Its just one example, but that would leave MU on the hook for a $3.15 million buyout plus a contract for at least, say, $1.5M for like 5 years.  Point being, I don't think MU can afford to go out and hire TJ Otzelberger. And at that point, what are we doing? The money issue doesn't just go away if Wojo decided to leave voluntarily. If Wojo leaves, I think there's a fair chance we end up with Wardle for financial reasons (making $681k).

It's a lot more affordable for Wojo to leave and for us to hire TJO then it is for Wojo to be fired and for us to hire TJO. We could afford the former but probably not the latter.

That being said, Wojo will be our coach next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 10:43:08 AM »
The "Wojo leaving for a lower tier P6 program" ship has sailed for the time being.  The sample size of mediocrity is too great for a school like Penn State to paint him as an exciting hire for their fan base.  It'll take 2-3 years of top half conference finishes and some NCAA Tournament wins before he's a commodity in the coaching carousel again.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 10:43:55 AM »
If Wojo can end up with a winning season, I think he will be in the running for the Penn State Head Coach opening.

Penn State is going to be looking to bring in someone scandal free and we all know Wojo checks that box . 

Sounds like a Herman Cain Agenda to me.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 11:38:13 AM »
The "Wojo leaving for a lower tier P6 program" ship has sailed for the time being.  The sample size of mediocrity is too great for a school like Penn State to paint him as an exciting hire for their fan base.  It'll take 2-3 years of top half conference finishes and some NCAA Tournament wins before he's a commodity in the coaching carousel again.

Schools don't give a crap if a coach is "exciting for their fan base." High major retreads will always be a popular choice for lower level P6 programs. They have much higher floors than hiring the latest flavor of the week mid-major coach or up and coming assistant. For basketball programs with expectations like Penn State, a high floor is more important than a high ceiling.

That being said, Wojo will be our coach next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 11:41:42 AM »

just because you want something to happen doesn't mean it will.

PSU does not have better facilities than MU (Bryce-Jordan is a morgue built for hockey and then when PSU made hockey a varsity sport they built their own facility), PSU basketball is an afterthought in State College, they don't draw fans, they have no track record of success, and are notoriously cheap (Chambers was at $900K, significantly less than Wojo makes at MU). Why would it be an attractive situation for Wojo other than you wanting it to be?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 11:54:27 AM »

When this happens, will Gregg Marshall have spent enough time reflecting on his past behavior and rehabbing  his image to be in a position to be the replacement at Marquette?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 12:10:35 PM »
It is a fun theory.    But in the end, just more alternative facts.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 12:38:19 PM »
When this happens, will Gregg Marshall have spent enough time reflecting on his past behavior and rehabbing  his image to be in a position to be the replacement at Marquette?

John Calipari might be looking for a job, too.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”