[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182871 times)

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #1525 on: August 22, 2021, 07:05:32 PM »
Brewers have won 8 of their last 9 series.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1526 on: August 22, 2021, 07:16:04 PM »
Brewers have won 8 of their last 9 series.

Even more impressive is that the only one they lost was because of a bullpen ravaged by Covid.

If they make it 9 of 10, the race is over.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1527 on: August 22, 2021, 07:29:37 PM »

Even more impressive is that the only one they lost was because of a bullpen ravaged by Covid.

If they make it 9 of 10, the race is over.

They need the race to be over. The Reds are hot (against bad teams, but you beat the teams in front of you) and have been a pain in the ass. Brewers could really use putting this to bed to get healthy after losing Peralta, Taylor and Escobar in quick succession

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1528 on: August 22, 2021, 09:28:38 PM »
They need the race to be over. The Reds are hot (against bad teams, but you beat the teams in front of you) and have been a pain in the ass. Brewers could really use putting this to bed to get healthy after losing Peralta, Taylor and Escobar in quick succession

I don't get the pessimism.  Freddy will miss one turn, Taylor is the 5th OF and we'll have to wait on Escobar's hammy but a 10 day IR seems likely. Rowdy! Rowdy!  The Reds are playing well but so is the Crew.  In fact, I wonder if anybody is playing better since the ASB. (Not going to look.)

What I do know is that over the last 20 games: Crew 14-6; Reds 13-7.  Oh, and the Crew got decimated by Covid and survived.  The Reds are a legitimate playoff team enjoying the trip to the west coast for a road WC game is my guess.  Win 1 or 2 this week and we're fine.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1529 on: August 22, 2021, 11:32:35 PM »
I don't get the pessimism.  Freddy will miss one turn, Taylor is the 5th OF and we'll have to wait on Escobar's hammy but a 10 day IR seems likely. Rowdy! Rowdy!  The Reds are playing well but so is the Crew.  In fact, I wonder if anybody is playing better since the ASB. (Not going to look.)

What I do know is that over the last 20 games: Crew 14-6; Reds 13-7.  Oh, and the Crew got decimated by Covid and survived.  The Reds are a legitimate playoff team enjoying the trip to the west coast for a road WC game is my guess.  Win 1 or 2 this week and we're fine.

I agree about no need for pessimism. But I expect Peralta to miss more than one start. I hope so and think Counsel may keep him out a couple extra starts to give him a rest.

But shoulder injuries are the worst enemy a pitcher can have. I’m hoping for the best, but I still have Teddy Higuera nightmares.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1530 on: August 22, 2021, 11:43:24 PM »

To be clear, I'm not even remotely worried about the division. But as soon as it is locked up, the Crew can turn their attention to more strategic rest days.

Tons to be optimistic about right now, and it's with this in mind it'd be nice to finish off a pesky Reds team

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1531 on: August 22, 2021, 11:51:04 PM »

Plus, if Avi Garcia catches what should have been a routine flyout, they would have won that series where they were ravaged by COVID
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #1532 on: August 23, 2021, 08:35:38 AM »
Plus, if Avi Garcia catches what should have been a routine flyout, they would have won that series where they were ravaged by COVID
Never mind. My bad.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 08:38:37 AM by WI_Inferiority_Complexes1 »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1533 on: August 23, 2021, 08:42:20 AM »

Yeah, that one stung a little.  But they've had a remarkable ability to shake off tough losses and move on.

Now I want to bring up a new topic. This Aaron Ashby kid looks to be the real deal.  Yeah, I watched the Cubs rock him 2 months ago when nerves got the better of him.  But in his last 3 spot outings he's been outstanding for a 23 yr old kid who had never pitched above high A ball before this year.  Lo Cain had very high praise following his long Nashville rehab.  Couns has said he'll take the Corbin Burnes path this year.  And did any of you see the approving nod from Soto after he gassed him at 99?  Love it. Kid will absolutely contribute down the stretch.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1534 on: August 23, 2021, 08:56:20 AM »
Yeah, that one stung a little.  But they've had a remarkable ability to shake off tough losses and move on.

Now I want to bring up a new topic. This Aaron Ashby kid looks to be the real deal.  Yeah, I watched the Cubs rock him 2 months ago when nerves got the better of him.  But in his last 3 spot outings he's been outstanding for a 23 yr old kid who had never pitched above high A ball before this year.  Lo Cain had very high praise following his long Nashville rehab.  Couns has said he'll take the Corbin Burnes path this year.  And did any of you see the approving nod from Soto after he gassed him at 99?  Love it. Kid will absolutely contribute down the stretch.

It’s remarkable how the organization has developed pitchers since Stearns came aboard.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1535 on: August 23, 2021, 10:08:00 AM »
It’s remarkable how the organization has developed pitchers since Stearns came aboard.

Agreed. The Pitching Lab is wizardry as best I can tell. A small market team being able to develop a Cy Young candidate, let alone three within a stone's throw, is incredible and frankly, transforms the staying power of this team.

They won't be able to pay all of these guys, but that gives you the ability to re-load. Let's hope there's a WS before then.

• Walk-On
« Reply #1536 on: August 23, 2021, 10:18:54 PM »
You don’t get to choose your opponents, but the White Sox are 20-25 against teams with a winning record.

• Walk-On
« Reply #1537 on: August 23, 2021, 10:21:08 PM »
The Cubs almost went a month without winning at home.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1538 on: August 23, 2021, 11:14:19 PM »
The Cubs almost went a month without winning at home.

Wonderful gifts from the baseball Gods.

Too bad my Cardinals suck too!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1539 on: August 23, 2021, 11:24:51 PM »
You don’t get to choose your opponents, but the White Sox are 20-25 against teams with a winning record.

Makes zero difference, 7 of the last 19 WS champs have finished .500 or worse in the regular season against teams over .500.

• Walk-On
« Reply #1540 on: August 24, 2021, 08:26:45 AM »
Makes zero difference, 7 of the last 19 WS champs have finished .500 or worse in the regular season against teams over .500.
Just out of curiosity, why would you limit that stat to 19 years? It’s a weird number. As far as I can remember nothing changed in MLB 19 years ago. Playoffs have been expanded, teams have been added, etc but I don’t think any of that happened 19 years ago.

Like I get using stats to push a narrative- and I’m not even against it- but a cut-off date of 19 years ago just looks so artificial. I’m assuming it’s got to at least be 7 of the last 20, right?

Is it also 7 of the last 25?

Has it only happened 7 times, with the first instance being 19 years ago? Maybe that’s it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 08:36:41 AM by WI_Inferiority_Complexes1 »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1541 on: August 24, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »
Just out of curiosity, why would you limit that stat to 19 years? It’s a weird number. As far as I can remember nothing changed in MLB 19 years ago. Playoffs have been expanded, teams have been added, etc but I don’t think any of that happened 19 years ago.

Like I get using stats to push a narrative- and I’m not even against it- but a cut-off date of 19 years ago just looks so artificial. I’m assuming it’s got to at least be 7 of the last 20, right?

Is it also 7 of the last 25?

Has it only happened 7 times, with the first instance being 19 years ago? Maybe that’s it.

Quite honestly, convenient that the stat is on Twitter and quickly available. That’s the sole reason I stole it.

The Sox aren’t getting blown out for the most part against teams over .500. Their run differential against teams over .500 is -9. By comparison, the Yankees are -20.

They’ve got plenty of problems from injuries, bullpen performance, poor defense, lulls where they don’t collectively hit for stretches of games, but at the end of August with a comfortable lead, I’m concerned mostly about them getting healthy.

They very well could get curb stomped by the Astros in the first round, but I’d like to see them try at full strength (which they haven’t been all year).

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1542 on: August 25, 2021, 05:23:04 AM »
Brewers put on a show for the new boss in the 7th last night.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1543 on: August 25, 2021, 07:04:37 AM »
A solid win when one of your aces has an off night.  The Reds weakness is their pen.  That was their late inning 'A team' of trade deadline acquisitions (Givens and Cessa) that failed them last night.

Let's hope Woody's recent 'struggles' end tonight and the Crew can rack up another series win. That'll get us one step closer to locking it up, eh GB Warrior?  :)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1544 on: August 25, 2021, 07:46:18 AM »
I really don't follow baseball much but it seems to me that after the Dodgers the Brewers have as good a chance as anyone.  It sounds like Yelich is coming around a bit and their overall hitting is better than I thought.  Statistically no one jumps off the page but it's a capable overall line-up.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1545 on: August 25, 2021, 07:57:01 AM »
I really don't follow baseball much but it seems to me that after the Dodgers the Brewers have as good a chance as anyone.  It sounds like Yelich is coming around a bit and their overall hitting is better than I thought.  Statistically no one jumps off the page but it's a capable overall line-up.

Right now, FanGraphs has them with the second best odds to win the WS among National League teams - behind the Dodgers. 

Dodgers:  21.5%
Astros:  14.7%
White Sox: 12.4%
Brewers: 11.0%
Yankees: 10.7%
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1546 on: August 25, 2021, 07:58:02 AM »

I can’t find it but I thought I saw a stat saying the Brewers had one of the lower k rates in baseball, a pretty big reversal from a year ago

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1547 on: August 25, 2021, 08:13:45 AM »
Series win should basically lock up the division for the Brewers, but my God do the Reds have an easy second half schedule.  Including games played since the All Star break, they play...

6 with the Brewers (2 remaining to play)
6 with the Mets
9 with the Cardinals (6 remaining to play)
10 with the Cubs (3 remaining to play)
2 with the Twins
13 with the Pirates (9 remaining to play)
1 with Cleveland
3 with Atlanta
3 with Phili
7 with the Marlins (3 remaining to play)
3 with the Tigers (3 remaining to play)
3 with the Dodgers (3 remaining to play)
4 with the Nationals (4 remaining to play)
2 with the White Sox (2 remaining to play)

Of their 35 games remaining, only 13 are against teams above .500, and 6 of those are against the 63-61 Cardinals.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 08:43:49 AM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1548 on: August 25, 2021, 08:22:20 AM »
Series win should basically lock up the division for the Brewers, but my God do the Pirates have an easy second half schedule.  Including games played since the All Star break, they play...

6 with the Mets
2 with the Twins
1 with Cleveland
3 with Atlanta
3 with Phili

Of their 35 games remaining, only 13 are against teams above .500, and 6 of those are against the 63-61 Cardinals.

Don’t underestimate the Cardinals.  With the veteran leadership of Yadier Molina, anything is possible

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1549 on: August 25, 2021, 08:24:14 AM »
Series win should basically lock up the division for the Brewers, but my God do the Pirates have an easy second half schedule.  Including games played since the All Star break, they play...

6 with the Mets
2 with the Twins
1 with Cleveland
3 with Atlanta
3 with Phili

Somehow I'm sure the Pirates will find a way to lose these games.