[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 183179 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #1000 on: July 23, 2021, 11:22:34 AM »
My reaction too. I get what they're going for to riff off the "defend the Land" thing - and there's a really cool idea in there somewhere.  But "Guardians" is a bridge too far from that original idea and comes off as lame and generic.

Just realized this.  I don't know if that was intentional but pretty funny.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1001 on: July 23, 2021, 11:30:12 AM »
I am Groot.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1002 on: July 23, 2021, 11:57:17 AM »
When was the last time a fan base was legitimately excited for their team's name change?

Uh ... The Marquette Gold ... hello!

FWIW (not much), Guardians is fine by me. I don't know what the other candidates were, but anything sounds like it doesn't belong when the previous name had been used for a century. I'm just glad they're no longer the Indians.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 11:58:48 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1003 on: July 23, 2021, 12:00:41 PM »
I am Groot.

What I was thinking.

I'm guessing they were trying to keep as much of the letters from Indians as possible.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1004 on: July 23, 2021, 12:13:58 PM »
When was the last time a fan base was legitimately excited for their team's name change?

Tennessee Oilers to Titans, for sure.
Maybe Washington Bullets to Wizards.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1005 on: July 23, 2021, 12:18:52 PM »
ACME Packers to the GB Packers

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1006 on: July 23, 2021, 12:23:44 PM »
Colt .45s to Astros?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1007 on: July 23, 2021, 04:51:06 PM »
My top 3 choices for Cleveland’s new nickname:

1.Warriors
2.Golden Avalanche
3.Hilltoppers

Guardians is lame but slightly better than Golden Eagles or Gold. Slightly.

Of all the names mentioned here I’d choose Spiders.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1008 on: July 23, 2021, 04:54:59 PM »
Guardians has some sort of local connection from what I understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Memorial_Bridge

Anyway, Spiders would have been better.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1009 on: July 23, 2021, 05:30:16 PM »

If Elon Musk ever gets a team on Mars, we can call them the Spiders.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1010 on: July 23, 2021, 05:41:16 PM »
If Elon Musk ever gets a team on Mars, we can call them the Spiders.

Seems like a leech would be more fitting.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1011 on: July 23, 2021, 05:50:24 PM »
Seems like a leech would be more fitting.

David Bowie.

Spiders from Mars.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1012 on: July 23, 2021, 06:13:20 PM »

Yea, but its not a huge profound point of civic pride.  It would be like Milwaukee renaming the Brewers after that orange starburst sculpture or whatever by the lake.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1013 on: July 23, 2021, 06:37:28 PM »
Yea, but its not a huge profound point of civic pride.  It would be like Milwaukee renaming the Brewers after that orange starburst sculpture or whatever by the lake.

Milwaukee Fonzes who says no

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1014 on: July 23, 2021, 07:30:42 PM »
My reaction too. I get what they're going for to riff off the "defend the Land" thing - and there's a really cool idea in there somewhere.  But "Guardians" is a bridge too far from that original idea and comes off as lame and generic.

A local high school changed their mascot to Guardians, with the logo being an Owl. This was after the student voted for Evergreens but a teacher said that would cause trauma because Black people were hung from trees.

It seems like a team name in Any Given Sunday.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1015 on: July 23, 2021, 10:10:37 PM »

I’ve been here 30 years and I couldn’t be happier that it is the Guardians. And I know a lot of people who feel the same. I know little about how people in Milwaukee feel about that sculpture, but I think you vastly underestimate the feelings many people have about the Guardians.

My comment to my brother on 12/13/20 when they announced they were changing the name: “Guardians. It has to be the Guardians.” I absolutely love it.

They could have gone safe, but they actually showed some creativity and picked something with a great Cleveland connection. And thank goodness they had the good sense to avoid anything related to the Rock Hall.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 11:12:58 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1016 on: July 23, 2021, 11:15:23 PM »
I’ve been here 30 years and I couldn’t be happier that it is the Guardians. And I know a lot of people who feel the same. I know little about how people in Milwaukee feel about that sculpture, but I think you vastly underestimate the feelings how many people have about the Guardians.

My comment to my brother on 12/13/20 when they announced they were changing the name: “Guardians. It has to be the Guardians.” I absolutely love it.

They could have gone safe, but they actually showed some creativity and picked something with a great Cleveland connection. And thank goodness they had the good sense to avoid anything related to the Rock Hall.

Interesting.  I wonder if its an age thing.  As Ive mentioned I went to school in Ohio and for whatever reason, I had a disproportionate number of friends from Cleveland, compared to Cbus or Cincy.

I talked to various guys in the 27-35 range today.  Solon, Strongsville, Elyria, Beachwood, Warren, Parma, and Chagrin Falls.  A few are back in Cleveland, others in Chicago, NYC and Cbus.  That was the sentiment I got from them, kind of ehh.  And these are people with INTENSE Cleveland pride, live and die with Cleveland sports, and are very proud of where they are from.  Grew up going to games and spending time in the city.  Guardians just didn't ping with them at all.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1017 on: July 24, 2021, 08:06:15 AM »
good friend of mine, my edward jones guy's son in law's dad is tom hamilton-they call him the bob ueker of cleveland baseball radio.  looking forward to hearing "the rest of the story"

next up-the new york jets-bad bad bad for the environment eyn'a?

i might have gone for the cleveland rockers, but this is getting ridiculous
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1018 on: July 24, 2021, 09:01:43 AM »
good friend of mine, my edward jones guy's son in law's dad is tom hamilton-they call him the bob ueker of cleveland baseball radio.  looking forward to hearing "the rest of the story"

change but race then “i” mite eat cereal who knows critical race theory bans whites

next up is chargers cuz hybrids r safe not like ball foot eyna know there places imo
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1019 on: July 24, 2021, 09:24:09 AM »

https://babylonbee.com/news/chicago-white-sox-finally-drop-offensive-white-from-name/

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1020 on: July 24, 2021, 10:04:16 AM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1021 on: July 24, 2021, 10:35:49 AM »
Interesting.  I wonder if its an age thing.  As Ive mentioned I went to school in Ohio and for whatever reason, I had a disproportionate number of friends from Cleveland, compared to Cbus or Cincy.

I talked to various guys in the 27-35 range today.  Solon, Strongsville, Elyria, Beachwood, Warren, Parma, and Chagrin Falls.  A few are back in Cleveland, others in Chicago, NYC and Cbus.  That was the sentiment I got from them, kind of ehh.  And these are people with INTENSE Cleveland pride, live and die with Cleveland sports, and are very proud of where they are from.  Grew up going to games and spending time in the city.  Guardians just didn't ping with them at all.

Maybe it’s an age thing, but my kids (18-24) seem to really like it.

Why I wanted it to be the Guardians:
  • Above all, I wanted it to be something with a Cleveland connection
  • The Guardians have always been among my favorite Cleveland landmarks - in other words, definite CLE connection
  • The nearest guardian is about 500 yards from Progressive field - check out this great picture taken after last night’s game (https://twitter.com/indians/status/1418767336530661377?s=21)
  • A Guardian is, in my opinion, something that embodies positive qualities for a mascot - strength, nobility, compassion
  • The Guardians are pretty bad ass and lend themselves to some cool logos. I really hope they are not done developing the artwork. I think what they’ve got so far is fine, but I really hope they lean into the imagery more with some other logos.
  • I really didn’t like any of the other options I was hearing. Rockers? Are you kidding me…naming the team after a defunct WNBA team? Didn’t like Naps or Spiders. Bulldogs? Might as well just be Lions or Eagles.
  • It’s unique. I know it sounds strange to some people, but so did the Lakers at one time. And probably the Clippers, Dodgers, Jazz, Pelicans, Seventy-Sixers, 49ers, etc. We got used to those. You know what doesn’t sound strange for a mascot? Tigers, Bulldogs, Lions, and Golden Eagles. Ugh!

I was hoping for this name as soon as it became clear it was going to change. I’ll be buying merch as soon as it’s available.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1022 on: July 24, 2021, 10:48:55 AM »
Should’ve been the Cleveland Midges.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1023 on: July 24, 2021, 10:57:31 AM »
Should’ve been the Cleveland Midges.

Yeah, I had heard that too. Better than some, but still a pass from me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1024 on: July 24, 2021, 04:34:13 PM »
change but race then “i” mite eat cereal who knows critical race theory bans whites

next up is chargers cuz hybrids r safe not like ball foot eyna know there places imo

the fun part is that this makes more sense than anything roQQet has said in years.

But he's right that it is "getting ridiculous" that an entire race of people don't want to be considered mascots by white people. I mean, what next? Black people insisting that the New York Negroes change their team nickname? Jews claiming that the Houston Hooknoses have to go?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson