[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182844 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #925 on: July 12, 2021, 09:41:26 AM »
I just don't think the ASG helps to "grow the game" at all.  It's being watched by people who are baseball fans already. MLB's problems run deeper than non-fans knowing who Mookie Betts is.

Yea, as you’ve stated in the past, I think the issue is people are more fans of their team than MLB. I consider myself a more than casual fan, but I can’t remember the last time I tuned into a non-Brewers game. There’s 162 of those, I don’t have time or interest to watch anyone else.

Whereas, I’d be more likely to tune into a random NBA game. For sure an NFL game (largely due to fantasy football). A large part because there’s more hype around a Lakers/Nets game or get a chance to see some young stars.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #926 on: July 12, 2021, 01:53:24 PM »
Yea, as you’ve stated in the past, I think the issue is people are more fans of their team than MLB. I consider myself a more than casual fan, but I can’t remember the last time I tuned into a non-Brewers game. There’s 162 of those, I don’t have time or interest to watch anyone else.

Whereas, I’d be more likely to tune into a random NBA game. For sure an NFL game (largely due to fantasy football). A large part because there’s more hype around a Lakers/Nets game or get a chance to see some young stars.

In football and particularly basketball, you are pretty much guaranteed to see the star player do something spectacular or excellent even if he has a bad night.  In baseball, Mike Trout could easily go 0-4 or 1-4 with a groundball single and a walk and have nothing interesting hit to him the whole game.  So even if you do watch a random game with a superstar, you still may not see him do much.  Baseball is about the daily grind, and you appreciate that a lot more watching your own team almost every day than watching random games of different teams.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #927 on: July 12, 2021, 02:07:39 PM »
In football and particularly basketball, you are pretty much guaranteed to see the star player do something spectacular or excellent even if he has a bad night.  In baseball, Mike Trout could easily go 0-4 or 1-4 with a groundball single and a walk and have nothing interesting hit to him the whole game.  So even if you do watch a random game with a superstar, you still may not see him do much.  Baseball is about the daily grind, and you appreciate that a lot more watching your own team almost every day than watching random games of different teams.

Spot on. The long grind is part of what I love about baseball. Time for so many twists and turns.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #928 on: July 12, 2021, 04:21:37 PM »
Darn shame about Acuna. Hell of a player. I hope he fully recovers for next season.

Yeah.  I only see him on those rare occasions the Braves play the Red Sox, but he was so impressive in the few games I saw him play.  An all around talent.  Hate it when great young players get injured (or anybody not on the Yankees, for that matter).
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #929 on: July 12, 2021, 08:27:19 PM »
MLB finally doing something right:

Ohtani will start for the AL and bat leadoff. And if he and the manager want him to keep hitting, he can be the DH even after a reliever comes in for him.

He’s the face of baseball now, and this is a TV show. I think I might even tune in to see him!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #930 on: July 12, 2021, 08:48:22 PM »
What a fun first round of the derby. Still easily the best All Star event in sports.

Figured Soto would give Ohtani a run. Guy can hit oppo liners out of the yard.

Perez ran into a buzzsaw in round 1.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #931 on: July 12, 2021, 09:26:57 PM »
With some guys making it seem like they need to be dragged kicking and screaming to the All-Star Game, Alonso’s enthusiasm about the Derby is making it genuinely fun to watch. 

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #932 on: July 13, 2021, 05:25:39 AM »
Pete Alonso has been paid more by the MLB for his two HR derby wins than the Mets have paid him salary.

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #933 on: July 13, 2021, 05:10:52 PM »
I watched the Derby last night with my 9 year-old son and we had a riot. Too many commercials, but it ended at the perfect time.

I downloaded the MLB AR app and turned the coffee table into a stadium. I’m not really tech savvy and couldn’t even describe it well, but it was fun for 3-4 batters before it became very repetitive.

I sh!t on MLB for not doing enough to market itself. Last night was an exception.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #934 on: July 13, 2021, 08:17:13 PM »
Vlad Jr didnt hit that ball off Burnes too far

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #935 on: July 13, 2021, 08:21:47 PM »
Other than the Vladdy bomb, this game has been an utter snooze

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #936 on: July 13, 2021, 08:52:56 PM »
Other than the Vladdy bomb, this game has been an utter snooze

Getting some runs on the board now.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #937 on: July 14, 2021, 06:49:10 AM »
MLB finally doing something right:

Ohtani will start for the AL and bat leadoff. And if he and the manager want him to keep hitting, he can be the DH even after a reliever comes in for him.

He’s the face of baseball now, and this is a TV show. I think I might even tune in to see him!

They've really lucked into him, but they need to market the hell out of him for younger fans. They should never stop talking about how much of a unicorn he is.

Just a shame the Angels have been so middling despite having a transcendent player on their roster for the past decade.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #938 on: July 14, 2021, 07:50:19 AM »
Not to beat a dead horse here, but there is no shortage of young talent to "market the hell out of" to younger fans.  But they have to overcome some issues to make that happen.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #939 on: July 14, 2021, 05:19:21 PM »
Not to beat a dead horse here, but there is no shortage of young talent to "market the hell out of" to younger fans.  But they have to overcome some issues to make that happen.

Yea, well, when you have people within baseball who object to the actions of some of the amazing young talent based on stodgy nonsense, that doesn't help.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #940 on: July 14, 2021, 05:56:43 PM »
Yea, well, when you have people within baseball who object to the actions of some of the amazing young talent based on stodgy nonsense, that doesn't help.

Agreed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #941 on: July 14, 2021, 09:11:47 PM »
Not MLB related, but at my son’s 11U travel tournament game tonight, the opposing pitcher threw 97 pitches in 3.2 innings. Not a criticism of the kid, but it wasn’t like he was de Grom or circa ‘99 Pedro (he walked 5, gave up 4).

Felt borderline child abuse. It was a tournament so there’s no pitch count rule. Our team caps it at 60 pitches (completion of the AB).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #942 on: July 14, 2021, 09:17:23 PM »
Yôu see that from time to time.   The highest I have seen is 120 out of a 12 year old.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #943 on: July 14, 2021, 09:28:33 PM »
I threw around 100 in 4 innings when I was around 11. Had multiple 7-8 pitch ABs in each inning with tons of fouls, 4-5 walks, scattered hits.  I had a ton of base runners but managed to get out of jams and had great fielding behind me, hence why I got to our 4 inning limit at the time. My arm was sore but I survived. Obviously it was memorable  ;D

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #944 on: July 14, 2021, 10:52:35 PM »
I threw around 100 in 4 innings when I was around 11. Had multiple 7-8 pitch ABs in each inning with tons of fouls, 4-5 walks, scattered hits.  I had a ton of base runners but managed to get out of jams and had great fielding behind me, hence why I got to our 4 inning limit at the time. My arm was sore but I survived. Obviously it was memorable  ;D

Could you dunk tho  ;)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #945 on: July 14, 2021, 11:10:35 PM »
Not MLB related, but at my son’s 11U travel tournament game tonight, the opposing pitcher threw 97 pitches in 3.2 innings. Not a criticism of the kid, but it wasn’t like he was de Grom or circa ‘99 Pedro (he walked 5, gave up 4).

Felt borderline child abuse. It was a tournament so there’s no pitch count rule. Our team caps it at 60 pitches (completion of the AB).

That's a horrible program and coach.  If you need a pitch count, look at USA baseball's pitch smart numbers.  Max per day of 85 for 12 year olds.  You don't leave it up to the kid, be the adult.

We actually lost track of our ace last weekend.  He ended up throwing 92.  Has had a sore arm all way.  Will never tell us he's tired, he wants to pitch.  Luckily his dad is our pitching coach, so we manage his throwing during the week, and dad makes him stretch and ice.

Nothing worse than seeing a kid pitch 3 innings (our max usually) and then throwing agian in the very next game.  Will probably start on Sunday too.  Either develop more pitching or find easier tournaments to play in so other kids can pitch.  Those kids won't be able to wipe their ass by age 17.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #946 on: July 14, 2021, 11:31:21 PM »
This tournament we were in we (and the other team) both played 8pm quarterfinal games last night. They beat us in the early evening game tonight in the semi’s, so that kid was going to play one more game tonight. After he got pulled, he played third the rest of the game (which isn’t great on an arm). No idea if he played third in the title game, but seemed like malpractice to keep an 11 year old out there like that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #947 on: July 15, 2021, 02:41:11 PM »
Very disappointed hearing these stories about abuse of kid pitchers.

Most of the leagues I ump the pitch-count rules are very strict and enforced. Sometimes it seems like the kids are being coddled, but at that age I much prefer that. Plenty of time for heavier counts later in their development.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #948 on: July 15, 2021, 09:41:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/1415023229043974152

"That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off"

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #949 on: July 15, 2021, 10:34:42 PM »
c'est la vie, Joc.