[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 183083 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #900 on: July 10, 2021, 11:52:11 AM »
At times we older posters who were MU fans in the 70s get push back for living in those times still. At this age I have the perspective over that period to present.

Wisdom has taught me...Truth is ....most of your life's most profound sports moments are formed in your youth. I guess our hearts and minds were cleaner slates, we had total sports focus and  sports fandom was something I could share with my adults early on. When we opine those moments were better.... its because they were better to us than current play that will never reach us as deep in memory.

Example: I saw this article today of an MLB all star game I watched on our new color TV, and I remember like it was yesterday. Every play, pitch and homer. Even as it occurred I remember thinking ....this is really great.  And yes it was objectively ...a great memory.

Home runs by:
Johnny Bench tape measure in CF (1),
Hank Aaron (1),
Roberto Clemente (1)

Reggie Jackson tape measure ...hit the light box on the roof of Tiger stadium 500 + (1),
Frank Robinson (1), and
Harmon Killebrew, as Twins kid who went to 65 series, Harmon was my hero (1)

To Wit:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31769224/all-your-baseball-cards-came-life-night-50-years-ago-22-hall-famers-played-all-star-game-ages
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 12:25:17 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #901 on: July 10, 2021, 02:32:14 PM »
7 NL players have opted out this year and been replaced.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #902 on: July 10, 2021, 03:37:58 PM »
Haven't watched an all star game in nearly 40 years.   In any sport.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #903 on: July 10, 2021, 04:00:21 PM »
These athletes have too much on the line to do the kinds of things Rose did to Fosse, and I think that's progress.

If you're a fan of a team with a chance to win something this year, do you really want your ace pitcher working several innings in an exhibition game? Heck, I wouldn't want my ace to throw even one exhibition pitch.

And how many sluggers have taken part in HR Derby only to stink in the second half of the season or even to suffer some kind of injury? It's silly.

Now I know MLB has to sell itself, and I know it's basically a reality TV show at this point and they need viewers, but I'm with tower here. I doubt I'll watch a single pitch.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #904 on: July 10, 2021, 04:19:18 PM »
MLB All-Star games used to be different. Interleague schedules have diluted a lot of the novelty, but I will still watch.

It’s a damn shame deGrom won’t be facing Ohtani in the first inning Tuesday’s game. It would’ve been worth watching.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #905 on: July 10, 2021, 04:19:23 PM »
All star games are relics of the past.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #906 on: July 10, 2021, 04:24:13 PM »
I think the players would rather have the honor and 4 days off.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #907 on: July 10, 2021, 04:32:03 PM »
At times we older posters who were MU fans in the 70s get push back for living in those times still. At this age I have the perspective over that period to present.

Wisdom has taught me...Truth is ....most of your life's most profound sports moments are formed in your youth. I guess our hearts and minds were cleaner slates, we had total sports focus and  sports fandom was something I could share with my adults early on. When we opine those moments were better.... its because they were better to us than current play that will never reach us as deep in memory.

Example: I saw this article today of an MLB all star game I watched on our new color TV, and I remember like it was yesterday. Every play, pitch and homer. Even as it occurred I remember thinking ....this is really great.  And yes it was objectively ...a great memory.

Home runs by:
Johnny Bench tape measure in CF (1),
Hank Aaron (1),
Roberto Clemente (1)

Reggie Jackson tape measure ...hit the light box on the roof of Tiger stadium 500 + (1),
Frank Robinson (1), and
Harmon Killebrew, as Twins kid who went to 65 series, Harmon was my hero (1)

To Wit:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31769224/all-your-baseball-cards-came-life-night-50-years-ago-22-hall-famers-played-all-star-game-ages

Great post, Hou. There were more HoF type players because it was the golden age of baseball. Only 24 teams. A couple years earlier there were only 20.

That’s 500 major leaguers compared to 780 now. Also a much larger pool of minor leaguers to develop guys.

And a way, way larger pool of kids who wanted to be baseball players when they grew up. I’m sure you knew a lot of them. I don’t remember any kids wanting to grow up to be football or basketball players. We played those sports when it was too cold to play baseball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #908 on: July 10, 2021, 04:43:15 PM »
MLB All-Star games used to be different. Interleague schedules have diluted a lot of the novelty, but I will still watch.

It’s a damn shame deGrom won’t be facing Ohtani in the first inning Tuesday’s game. It would’ve been worth watching.

+1.

The All Star baseball game used to be a big deal for the players and the fans. I don’t think I missed even one pitch of an All Star game until I was well into my 30s. Now I’ll watch but not particularly closely.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #909 on: July 10, 2021, 05:41:15 PM »
+1.

The All Star baseball game used to be a big deal for the players and the fans. I don’t think I missed even one pitch of an All Star game until I was well into my 30s. Now I’ll watch but not particularly closely.

There’s a lot of reasons the ASG has lost its luster.  Many have been mentioned already.  Free agency changed dynamics as well as guys were often NL or AL “guys”.  Though the money wasn’t great, it was still a bonus.  I doubt these guys even know how much they make if they win the game versus losing.

The ASG was a big deal for a lot of people.  We had a major storm blow through the Milwaukee area in the early-to-mid 80’s the night before the ASG and it knocked out the power at my grandfathers house and he absolutely would not miss the game and came over to our house to make sure he didn’t.  I can’t imagine that today
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #910 on: July 10, 2021, 06:20:00 PM »
The MLB All Star Game is still awesome.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #911 on: July 10, 2021, 09:28:49 PM »
Garrit Coles throws 129 pitches, the last one a 99 mph fastball. Complete game, 1-0 shutout. Reminded me of a game I saw in St Louis in 1968.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #912 on: July 11, 2021, 06:47:42 AM »
Garrit Coles throws 129 pitches, the last one a 99 mph fastball. Complete game, 1-0 shutout. Reminded me of a game I saw in St Louis in 1968.
Ah yes ...that 1968 memory of Mickey Lolich is shared by many. lol
Maybe it was that other guy you recall...the grumpy one

Of MLB's many tweeks, the raised mound profoundly favored pitchers. As the Astrodome was a pitchers park any way, I enjoyed the result.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 06:56:36 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

shoothoops

• All American
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 08:26:52 AM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #914 on: July 11, 2021, 08:38:59 AM »
Nice work by a maid in a hotel near Coors Field:

https://twitter.com/benverlander/status/1414083657770233868?s=21

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/crime/four-arrested-at-maven-hotel-face-weapon-charges-police-feared-las-vegas-style-shooting-during-all-star-game

I guess that, in addition to a "good man with a gun," another way to stop a "bad man with a gun" is hire more maids.

Hey ... just imagine how much safer we'd all be if we armed all maids!

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #915 on: July 11, 2021, 04:48:25 PM »
Not a great week for Hader and the Brewers.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #916 on: July 11, 2021, 04:55:20 PM »
All star games are relics of the past.

I still like the MLB All-Star Game, and only the MLB All-Star Game.  It is the only one where the participants still go all out to win on offense and defense.  I guess I'm an old-timer, but I find the HR Derby the most boring thing ever and it seems to be surpassing the actual game in popularity.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #917 on: July 11, 2021, 05:16:38 PM »
I guess I'm an old-timer, but I find the HR Derby the most boring thing ever and it seems to be surpassing the actual game in popularity.

I guess I'm also an old-timer, because I agree with you.

I mean, after the 3rd of 100 "bombs," they all look the same. I'll get all the info I need -- and plenty I don't need -- from Sportscenter later.

I only hope that Ohtani doesn't get hurt or doesn't have his swing messed up.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #918 on: July 11, 2021, 05:34:38 PM »
How about those Redlegs?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #919 on: July 11, 2021, 08:37:55 PM »
I’m guessing interleague has reduced excitement for the MLB All Star game. Before then, this was the only time to see some matchups.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #920 on: July 11, 2021, 08:55:27 PM »
I guess that, in addition to a "good man with a gun," another way to stop a "bad man with a gun" is hire more maids.

Hey ... just imagine how much safer we'd all be if we armed all maids!

I’m sure these guys were good guys with guns. Just being alert in case bad guys with guns showed up.

• All American
« Reply #921 on: July 11, 2021, 09:14:23 PM »
I’m guessing interleague has reduced excitement for the MLB All Star game. Before then, this was the only time to see some matchups.

I think it’s more a proliferation of regular season games on television because all all star games have dropped in viewing numbers. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #922 on: July 12, 2021, 09:08:12 AM »
Darn shame about Acuna. Hell of a player. I hope he fully recovers for next season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #923 on: July 12, 2021, 09:17:30 AM »
Pretty much sums up what a lot (maybe even most?) of today's MLB players feel about the ASG ...

Major League Baseball also said Dodgers outfielder Mookie Betts was injured and won’t participate -- though Betts played in each of the team's games over the weekend against Arizona, including going 5-for-7 with 5 RBIs in the last two games of the series.

“An All-Star Game is definitely an honor, especially being voted in by your peers, so I definitely don’t want to discount that honor. But I do understand that I do have some nagging things going on,” Betts said Saturday.

Asked what was nagging him, he said: “Just the same stuff. There is just no break in baseball.”

“This is the only time I can get a break of more than a day. I just want to use it to the best I can. I would love to be in an All-Star Game, but I think the goal is to win a World Series and this break will definitely help me to help us get to that point,” he said.

It's hard to blame Betts or any of the guys who choose not to play. They get paid handsomely to play baseball for their teams, and Betts is paid handsomely to help the Dodgers win championships.

Now, one could argue that part of Betts' job is to grow the game, and playing in the ASG is a pretty small thing to ask him to do toward that goal. That would be fair. But I have no problem with these guys opting out.

As a kid, I wanted to see my favorite team's players in the ASG. I'd even be pissed if they didn't play or the manager gave them just a brief appearance. But if I were a grown-up Dodgers fan who valued championships, I'd not only be perfectly fine with Betts' decision, I'd applaud it.

• All American
« Reply #924 on: July 12, 2021, 09:23:37 AM »
I just don't think the ASG helps to "grow the game" at all.  It's being watched by people who are baseball fans already. MLB's problems run deeper than non-fans knowing who Mookie Betts is.