[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182927 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #750 on: June 18, 2021, 09:54:06 AM »
"Doesn't like baseball" may be a bit nebulous but I think that Manfred views the commissioner role too narrowly, and sees his only function as countering the players union.  While a primary piece of the commisioner's role is to be the frontman for ownership vs the players, there is a PR and growing the game aspect to running a major sports league that I don't think Manfred has any interest in. Manfred's formative experience in baseball was being hired as outside labor counsel.  Once he became employed by MLB, he focused pretty much solely on labor issues until being promoted to COO only one year before he succeeded Selig.  It isn't unusual for commissioners' to get their starts in high profile legal careers in labor law, but most of those guys played significant roles other than stricly labor issues before becoming commissioners. Guys like Tagliabue-Goodell and Stern-Silver all pretty clearly understood their goal was to raise the tide first, then secure the biggest part of the gains for the league vs the players second.  Maybe I shouldn't attribute to malice what can be attirbuted to ignorance, but Manfred seems to view his role as countering the players first, second, and third, and then growing the game if he has time. 

Thank you.  This makes a lot more sense to me.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #751 on: June 18, 2021, 10:10:14 AM »

Thank you.  This makes a lot more sense to me.

Absolutely - the challenge to cite to specific examples is a good one. I think there's a widespread perception Manfred "hates the game."  Googling "Rob Manfred hates baseball" turns up op-eds in legit publications:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/22/rob-manfred-world-series-commissioner/
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/aug/05/does-mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-really-hate-baseball
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-sure-seems-to-hate-baseball/1xa2erynjjago1u7t4601jkig8

But the evidence for that dramatic a claim is all pretty iffy.  I think the more correct way to be a little melodramatic about it is that Manfred hates baseball players, which speaks to the labor toxicity in baseball right now, and explains why a lot of purists don't trust a Manfred administration to make significant changes to the game, even if they are necessary or in the game's long term best interest.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #752 on: June 18, 2021, 10:17:59 AM »
I also think baseball is more burdened with its past and with "purists" than the other sports.  Sure I think that there are those who wish that the NFL still emphasized the run more, and that the NBA had less emphasis on the three point shot, but changes to those games don't seem to be considered as concerning as changes to baseball.

And that makes it very hard to try new things and have them seen as improvements.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #753 on: June 20, 2021, 01:48:20 PM »
Buxton is back(for now)

Twins baseball is fun again
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #754 on: June 20, 2021, 02:16:50 PM »
Absolutely - the challenge to cite to specific examples is a good one. I think there's a widespread perception Manfred "hates the game."  Googling "Rob Manfred hates baseball" turns up op-eds in legit publications:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/22/rob-manfred-world-series-commissioner/
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/aug/05/does-mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-really-hate-baseball
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-sure-seems-to-hate-baseball/1xa2erynjjago1u7t4601jkig8

But the evidence for that dramatic a claim is all pretty iffy.  I think the more correct way to be a little melodramatic about it is that Manfred hates baseball players, which speaks to the labor toxicity in baseball right now, and explains why a lot of purists don't trust a Manfred administration to make significant changes to the game, even if they are necessary or in the game's long term best interest.

Perception is truth.

Bud Selig was a very dishonest person. He promised George Bush he would be the next commissioner and then undercut cut him and grabbed the job for himself. He orchestrated collusion. He ignored steroids cuz the home run epidemic made lots of money for MLB. Yet, no one ever said Selig hated baseball. No one ever said Bart Giammatti hated baseball.

People say it about Manfred based on things he has done. I think your last paragraph is closest to the truth.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #755 on: June 22, 2021, 07:46:32 AM »
Buxton is back(for now)

Twins baseball is fun again

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #756 on: June 22, 2021, 08:28:41 AM »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #757 on: June 22, 2021, 09:06:24 AM »
This just in, DeGrom is still really good, even without the sticky stuff.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #758 on: June 22, 2021, 11:57:28 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chicago-cubs-javier-baez-lost-track-of-outs-benched-after-tough-baserunning-mistake-cleveland-indians-032242735.html

Javy magically turned 2 outs into 3. 

So for those scoring at home:

Best Slider In Baseball History: Javy Baez.

Best Tagger In Baseball History: Javy Baez.

Best At Creating Double Plays For Opponents In Baseball History: Javy Baez.

Seriously, I'm impressed that Ross benched him. And I liked the way Ross discussed it with the media afterward. He didn't do a rip-job; indeed, the opposite, he complimented Baez up and down, saying how important Baez was to the team.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #759 on: June 22, 2021, 12:08:25 PM »

It's funny in the sense of how recurring and predictable it is. But man it just sucks for him and baseball fans(Twins already suck at least).

The dude is just unlucky.

He gets your normal "injury prone" type injuries where his muscles pull and tighten with everyday competition

He get's the "playing hard" injuries by running into walls or making elite diving catches.

When he tries to play "smarter" and have the "long run" in mind over 1 out. He still finds a way to get beamed in bad spots.

Its just crazy. Baseball deserves to see this dude in his prime. Kinda hoping the Twins pull a Minny sports classic move and trade him. Will gurantee that he has 5 years of good health.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #760 on: June 22, 2021, 12:29:52 PM »
A friend just sent me this 1952 scouting report on an 18-year-old shortstop named Henry Aaron. Pretty cool.

The 2 things that stood out to me:

POWER - fair

NATIONALITY - Negro

Yes, that famous Nation of Negro.

The report says that Aaron didn't go to high school, but that's not true. He went to Mobile Central HS for 2 years and later a private HS, but they didn't have baseball teams so he played semipro and Negro League ball.

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #761 on: June 22, 2021, 05:23:13 PM »
A friend just sent me this 1952 scouting report on an 18-year-old shortstop named Henry Aaron. Pretty cool.

That is cool.

Really specific scouting reports they had back-in-the-day. Running is “fast,” hitting is “good,” and strengths are “ability.”

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #762 on: June 22, 2021, 07:07:31 PM »
His power was "fair".

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #763 on: June 22, 2021, 07:58:59 PM »

POWER - fair

NATIONALITY - Negro

Yes, that famous Nation of Negro.

The report says that Aaron didn't go to high school, but that's not true. He went to Mobile Central HS for 2 years and later a private HS, but they didn't have baseball teams so he played semipro and Negro League ball.

Man.  That's so cool.  Power as fair.  Awesome.  I guess he had to grow into it a little bit, or maybe that scout maybe missed something...  Love it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #764 on: June 22, 2021, 11:56:19 PM »
Joe Girardi is still a jerk.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #765 on: June 23, 2021, 07:14:05 AM »
I think Kershaw's got a point, that if you ask for an inspection and it comes up clean, you should lose your challenge.  Otherwise there's going to be a lot of coincidences about the timing of these requests.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #766 on: June 23, 2021, 07:30:28 AM »
I think Kershaw's got a point, that if you ask for an inspection and it comes up clean, you should lose your challenge.  Otherwise there's going to be a lot of coincidences about the timing of these requests.

Yeah, remember when baseball was concerned about speeding up the game? Talk about bringing a game to a standstill.

I don't blame managers for doing what Girardi did last night. Scherzer was dominating his team. It was a good try to break up his rhythm. It's gamesmanship, it's delay of game, it's an attempt to shift momentum ... and MLB is not only allowing it but encouraging it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #767 on: June 23, 2021, 08:27:21 AM »

Yeah like Bauer said in his interview with FOX a week or so ago. They came up with this new plan of action way too quickly. Its going to keep being chaos if something isn't changed.

Scherzer got checked like 3 innings in a row simply cause he was mowings down Phillies and they didnt like it.

And the games are not gonna get any shorter.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #768 on: June 23, 2021, 12:00:41 PM »
I'm old enough to remember when speeding up pace of play was the most important initiative to appeal to the next generation of fans.

That said, if all pitchers and opposing managers will handle it like Max did, I'm here for it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #769 on: June 23, 2021, 12:57:52 PM »
I'm old enough to remember when speeding up pace of play was the most important initiative to appeal to the next generation of fans.

That said, if all pitchers and opposing managers will handle it like Max did, I'm here for it.

It was more entertaining than the game. But MLB doesn't care.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #770 on: June 23, 2021, 01:12:18 PM »
Since the Cubs and Brewers haven't played in a while, I've never even heard of Patrick Wisdom.  Dude goes in the first round to the Cards, he hits 4 career home runs prior to this year, and then he hits 9 dingers in his first 10 games when he gets called up as a 29 year old?

Things that make you say "Hmm..."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #771 on: June 23, 2021, 01:15:17 PM »
Yeah like Bauer said in his interview with FOX a week or so ago. They came up with this new plan of action way too quickly. Its going to keep being chaos if something isn't changed.

Scherzer got checked like 3 innings in a row simply cause he was mowings down Phillies and they didnt like it.

And the games are not gonna get any shorter.

I'm 100% here for Mad Max going a round with Joe Girardi on the warning track. You want smoke Joe, you got it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #772 on: June 23, 2021, 01:16:11 PM »
Since the Cubs and Brewers haven't played in a while, I've never even heard of Patrick Wisdom.  Dude goes in the first round to the Cards, he hits 4 career home runs prior to this year, and then he hits 9 dingers in his first 10 games when he gets called up as a 29 year old?

Things that make you say "Hmm..."

Maybe he's using Wonderboy!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #773 on: June 23, 2021, 02:33:17 PM »
Man.  That's so cool.  Power as fair.  Awesome.  I guess he had to grow into it a little bit, or maybe that scout maybe missed something...  Love it.

BLM would say “Hmmmm”….

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #774 on: June 23, 2021, 03:01:04 PM »
BLM would say “Hmmmm”….

Hank Aaron led the MLB in home runs at the age of 23.  He hit .314 with 27 home runs and 106 RBIs his second season, at 21 years old.

Fairly comparable to a guy who didn't hit his fifth home run in his career until he was 29 years old.  Good call.  Hmm.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter