[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182930 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #500 on: May 02, 2021, 10:14:54 PM »
You could move the mound back too. The last thing you want to do is incentivize more walks.

I too, often find myself thinking "how could the game do more to injure pitchers???"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #501 on: May 03, 2021, 04:58:15 PM »
Glad to see that Stearns reads Scoop.  ?-(

I have suggested twice in the last week that Hiura needs to be sent down. He took my advice today.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #502 on: May 03, 2021, 05:16:21 PM »
This White Sox season is going well. I’m going to be their next outfielder at this rate.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #503 on: May 03, 2021, 06:36:10 PM »
This White Sox season is going well. I’m going to be their next outfielder at this rate.

Could be worse, could be the Twins who just actively choose not to field the best outfield possible
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #504 on: May 03, 2021, 08:38:35 PM »
I too, often find myself thinking "how could the game do more to injure pitchers???"

Lol. Offered without proof of course...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #505 on: May 04, 2021, 12:33:03 AM »

You and Buck may both be right. I, too, believe it will cause more injuries. But, no we don't have proof. We may get some of that proof (one way or the other) in the minor league experiment.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #506 on: May 04, 2021, 03:16:27 PM »

Do you seriously not think its more likely?  Guys traun their entire lives to throw multiple pitches from one distance to perfect it.  Then some moron arbitrarily moves that distance back 10 feet?  You don't think that'll make a difference?

You also said you didn't want to incentivize walks correct? What do you think moving the origin point of the pitch back 10 feet will do for command and control? Seems like it would make it harder to throw strikes to me.  Especially for breaking and offspeed pitches.
Seems like a terrible idea in every way.  But hey, maybe everything is a strike, or there can be 2 catchers?  Or hitters can use a flat bat?  Or maybe no breaking pitches allowed? Or just go full softball and start with 1-1 and all foul balls are strikes.  Maybe play on ice and skates?

• All American
« Reply #507 on: May 04, 2021, 03:30:03 PM »
Who said anything about ten feet?  Stop making things up.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 03:34:48 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #508 on: May 04, 2021, 04:44:03 PM »
Do you seriously not think its more likely?  Guys traun their entire lives to throw multiple pitches from one distance to perfect it.  Then some moron arbitrarily moves that distance back 10 feet?  You don't think that'll make a difference?

You also said you didn't want to incentivize walks correct? What do you think moving the origin point of the pitch back 10 feet will do for command and control? Seems like it would make it harder to throw strikes to me.  Especially for breaking and offspeed pitches.
Seems like a terrible idea in every way.  But hey, maybe everything is a strike, or there can be 2 catchers?  Or hitters can use a flat bat?  Or maybe no breaking pitches allowed? Or just go full softball and start with 1-1 and all foul balls are strikes.  Maybe play on ice and skates?

You're not helping me out here, Buck. We are talking 12-18 inches.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #509 on: May 04, 2021, 04:55:52 PM »
Yelich back on the IL due to his back injury. Not good.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #510 on: May 04, 2021, 08:09:25 PM »
Who said anything about ten feet?  Stop making things up.

hy·per·bo·le
/hīˈpərbəlē/
Learn to pronounce
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
"he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"

Seriously?  For a guy that really puts on airs about being the smartest guy in the room, you really miss a lot.  In a post filled with flagrant exaggerations, you grab one and decide to take it literally?  Guess what, I also don't think anyone is suggesting playing on ice.  Or using multiple catchers. 

The point is, moving the mound back, by a foot, foot and a half or 2 feet, is likely to put more strain on pitchers.  Moving the mound back is also likely to result in more balls being thrown outside of the strike zone.  Thereby, increasing walks, and pitch counts, relief pitchers and game times.  None of those really seem to be good.

EDIT:  Just in case, I was also not being completely serious when I suggested Yermin Mercedes could win the NL Cy Young. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 08:11:33 PM by buckchuckler »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #511 on: May 04, 2021, 08:15:16 PM »
You're not helping me out here, Buck. We are talking 12-18 inches.
TWSS
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

• All American
« Reply #512 on: May 04, 2021, 08:25:28 PM »
hy·per·bo·le
/hīˈpərbəlē/
Learn to pronounce
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
"he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"

Seriously?  For a guy that really puts on airs about being the smartest guy in the room, you really miss a lot.  In a post filled with flagrant exaggerations, you grab one and decide to take it literally?  Guess what, I also don't think anyone is suggesting playing on ice.  Or using multiple catchers. 

The point is, moving the mound back, by a foot, foot and a half or 2 feet, is likely to put more strain on pitchers.  Moving the mound back is also likely to result in more balls being thrown outside of the strike zone.  Thereby, increasing walks, and pitch counts, relief pitchers and game times.  None of those really seem to be good.

EDIT:  Just in case, I was also not being completely serious when I suggested Yermin Mercedes could win the NL Cy Young. 

Oh now you’re claiming hyperbole.

Anyway if you can’t understand the difference between one and ten feet I don’t know what to say.

And it’s really not hard to be one of the smarter ones in the room if you’re in there too.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #513 on: May 04, 2021, 08:47:20 PM »
Thanks for a 3rd grade level insult with no real reply.  And the whole statement was hyperbole.  Not my fault you're too dense to notice.

And in terms of trying to accurately throw a curve or slider,  the point was 1 foot-18 inches - 2 feet is a huge difference. 

And again, do you think it will put more strain on pitchers?  Do you think it will increase or decrease the command/control of pitchers?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 08:50:22 PM by buckchuckler »

• All American
« Reply #514 on: May 05, 2021, 07:39:31 AM »
Thanks for a 3rd grade level insult with no real reply.  And the whole statement was hyperbole.  Not my fault you're too dense to notice.

And in terms of trying to accurately throw a curve or slider,  the point was 1 foot-18 inches - 2 feet is a huge difference. 

And again, do you think it will put more strain on pitchers?  Do you think it will increase or decrease the command/control of pitchers?

If your whole point was that 1, 2 or 10 feet was the same, there was no need for hyperbole.  That is simply a bullsh** excuse for you getting called out on your goalpost shifting.

They are trying out moving the mound back in the minors.  Let's see how that goes before we claim that there are going to be a bunch of injuries.  I mean, were there a bunch when they lowered the mound a few decades ago?  Or did pitchers simply adjust?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #515 on: May 05, 2021, 08:22:10 AM »

If your whole point was that 1, 2 or 10 feet was the same, there was no need for hyperbole.  That is simply a bullsh** excuse for you getting called out on your goalpost shifting.

They are trying out moving the mound back in the minors.  Let's see how that goes before we claim that there are going to be a bunch of injuries.  I mean, were there a bunch when they lowered the mound a few decades ago?  Or did pitchers simply adjust?

Why would there be more injuries if they lower the mound? When a pitcher is coming back from injury the process involves throwing from flat ground at distances that increase before moving to the mound.

• All American
« Reply #516 on: May 05, 2021, 08:29:55 AM »
Why would there be more injuries if they lower the mound? When a pitcher is coming back from injury the process involves throwing from flat ground at distances that increase before moving to the mound.

I don't know.  But according to buck, any change in the sacred dimensions of how a pitcher has thrown for years has a potential to mess with his arm.  It seems to me that the angle of how a pitch would be one of those dimensions.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #517 on: May 05, 2021, 08:33:25 AM »
Hyperbole, meet hyperbole.

• All American
« Reply #518 on: May 05, 2021, 08:40:45 AM »
Hyperbole, meet hyperbole.

Very good.  Only I am intentionally doing so.  Buck only claimed to do after he got called out on his bullsh**.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #519 on: May 05, 2021, 08:55:00 AM »

Very good.  Only I am intentionally doing so.  Buck only claimed to do after he got called out on his bullsh**.

I didn't shift goalposts at all bro.  I said I thought moving the mound back would lead to more injuries for pitchers.  I gave an exaggerated dimension in a post, which truly doesn't matter for the point.  I was trying to make a point.  Maybe I should have said if they move the mound to 2nd base?  Would you have gotten that?  To CF?  The warning track?  Maybe I'll go bigger next time in order to not confuse you.  You missed it, and you like to feel so superior, so you lashed out.  I'm sorry your wittle feewings are hurt.  I get how you think people could post about things which they are completely ignorant, I mean, you do it all freaking day long.  I post basically about baseball.  The first websites I check every morning are baseball site.  If you want to believe that I think moving the mound back was your idea or something, fine.  If you want to think I had no idea it was being discussed, fine. Believe what ever you want.  I can't change your mind.  But I'm a person that is pretty well informed about what is going on in the baseball realm. 
But again, my post was really nothing but exaggerations.  Sorry I didn't "claim" that or whatever earlier.  Next time I'll put asterisk all around it and say ***HYERBOLE DISCLOSED FOR FLUFFYS SAKE****.  That way you'll be sure to get it.   
And I'll ask again, do you think it is likely that moving the mound back is likely to put more strain on pitchers?  And do you think that moving the mound back will improve pitchers ability to throw strikes?

• All American
« Reply #520 on: May 05, 2021, 09:06:48 AM »
I didn't shift goalposts at all bro.  I said I thought moving the mound back would lead to more injuries for pitchers.  I gave an exaggerated dimension in a post, which truly doesn't matter for the point.  I was trying to make a point.  Maybe I should have said if they move the mound to 2nd base?  Would you have gotten that?  To CF?  The warning track?  Maybe I'll go bigger next time in order to not confuse you.  You missed it, and you like to feel so superior, so you lashed out.  I'm sorry your wittle feewings are hurt.  I get how you think people could post about things which they are completely ignorant, I mean, you do it all freaking day long.  I post basically about baseball.  The first websites I check every morning are baseball site.  If you want to believe that I think moving the mound back was your idea or something, fine.  If you want to think I had no idea it was being discussed, fine. Believe what ever you want.  I can't change your mind.  But I'm a person that is pretty well informed about what is going on in the baseball realm. 
But again, my post was really nothing but exaggerations.  Sorry I didn't "claim" that or whatever earlier.  Next time I'll put asterisk all around it and say ***HYERBOLE DISCLOSED FOR FLUFFYS SAKE****.  That way you'll be sure to get it.   
And I'll ask again, do you think it is likely that moving the mound back is likely to put more strain on pitchers?  And do you think that moving the mound back will improve pitchers ability to throw strikes?

::)

To answer your questions...I don't know.  I have never claimed to know.  You are the ones making the claim that more pitchers would be injured - as I said without proof.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #521 on: May 05, 2021, 09:23:06 AM »
 Ideas to restore the balance and improve hitting.   

Lower the seams on the ball.   
Go to electronic ball/strike calls and shrink the strike zone, eliminating the high strike and the ball an inch off the plate. 
Change the strike zone.    Currently, the top of the strike zone is technically the armpits.    Make it the belly button.   
Put limits on the shift.     Allow only two defenders on either side of second base.   

None of these will add strain to the pitcher's arms.    Those are already fragile to begin with.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #522 on: May 05, 2021, 10:19:11 AM »
Isn't it kind of early to be changing the rules of the game to encourage more offense?  We are just a couple years removed from changes to the ball creating an outcry that there was too much offense. If there were any changes, they should be to facilitate enforcement of the existing rules, imo. 

MLB should end the unspoken rules on foreign substances, and just issue a standard stickum, with harsh penalties for using anything else.  Standardizing the strike zone with electronic balls/strikes would be another huge change in standardizing enforcement.  But I have trouble getting behind rule changes like changing the strikezone, extending the distance to the mound, or limiting the shift.

• All American
« Reply #523 on: May 05, 2021, 10:25:37 AM »
Isn't it kind of early to be changing the rules of the game to encourage more offense?  We are just a couple years removed from changes to the ball creating an outcry that there was too much offense. If there were any changes, they should be to facilitate enforcement of the existing rules, imo. 

MLB should end the unspoken rules on foreign substances, and just issue a standard stickum, with harsh penalties for using anything else.  Standardizing the strike zone with electronic balls/strikes would be another huge change in standardizing enforcement.  But I have trouble getting behind rule changes like changing the strikezone, extending the distance to the mound, or limiting the shift.

I'm cool with that.  I also like tower's suggestions, especially the electronic ball/strike calls.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #524 on: May 05, 2021, 11:12:57 AM »
::)

To answer your questions...I don't know.  I have never claimed to know.  You are the ones making the claim that more pitchers would be injured - as I said without proof.

LOL.  Ok.  Well then.  Try using your brain and your own experiences.  Is it more or less strain to throw from farther away?  I know in my experience, closer throws are easier.  Also in my experience, it is easier to be accurate from nearer to the target than from farther away. 

It is pretty well established (sorry if you are ignorant to this...*) that velocity, and torque on pitchers elbows are the leading cause of many injuries, including Tommy John.  The harder you throw it, the more likely you are to injure yourself.  Throwing from farther away, naturally requires more force, putting more strain on the elbows of pitchers.  I don't think it is a ridiculous jump to suggest that moving the mound back would lead to more injuries.   You seem to think so though, so cool. 

EDIT:
* didn't mean this as a jab in any way.  It has been well established for a while but it isn't necessarily common knowledge.  I did make an assumption that you would have been aware of this earlier...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:18:06 AM by buckchuckler »

feedback