'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: SOTG  (Read 7440 times)

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: SOTG
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 11:22:00 PM »
Have to go with Garcia. Nice to see him finishing a bunch inside and off drives. Early on in the season it seems he would get stuffed on many of those due to getting smaller (ala Joey H)  rather than going up to the bucket and finishing strong.

Great contributions from Koby, DJ, Justin and Theo tonight. Loved the effort all around.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 11:24:39 PM »
Have to go with Garcia. Nice to see him finishing a bunch inside and off drives. Early on in the season it seems he would get stuffed on many of those due to getting smaller (ala Joey H)  rather than going up to the bucket and finishing strong.

Great point, SW. He had one move in particular where he went full steam ahead to the front of the hoop and dared PU to stop him. They couldn't, and he banked it home.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2021, 11:26:39 PM »

DG
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2021, 12:00:39 AM »

Great contributions from Koby, DJ, Justin and Theo tonight. Loved the effort all around.

Looks like Garcia is learning about head fakes as earlier in the year, he would go straight up and get the ball slammed down his throat.   Garcia even though is tall
plays somewhat small as he has no vertical yet.  That will come when he gets stronger and more mature.  Tonight, he showed great versatility inside and out, it
was nice to see.  Much like Lewis finally hitting a shot or two, but that dunk was the play of the game, even though the 3 he hit from the corner was more critical.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2021, 12:54:27 AM »

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

1SE

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2021, 03:08:36 AM »
Close but Koby.

More complete game on both ends. 5 assists to 0 TO has to be about his best performance on that metric ever.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2021, 07:07:38 AM »
Koby.  Close over Garcia, but felt him making Duke work so hard was important.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2021, 08:12:07 AM »
Koby showed senior leadership and toughness. There was a lot of positives in this game. Justin plays and looks 6'9". Carton can score at will on layups with his quickness similar Dean the Dream. Garcia plays with more authority every game. Theo played strong. We needed a good game like this to get back on track.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2021, 08:27:53 AM »
Dawson Garcia. He's really developing into a leader.

McEwen honorable mention. He was good, but the defense on Duke was a team effort, with Carton & Cain having good defensive possessions on him as well.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2021, 08:54:47 AM »
Dawson Garcia
Honorable Mention
Koby McEwen

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2021, 09:15:08 AM »
Dawson.  He's getting real consistent!

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2021, 09:26:56 AM »
J Lew. Got called for a foul, teammates and bench give him the stay straight up motion. Next time he is in that position, stays straight up, we get the ball, tip dunk, three soon after. Ballgame.

Dawson and Koby should put up good numbers, and nothing against their fantastic better than expected games, but I always look to the guy who does more than expected and impacts the win a little differently.

Okay, fine, Dawson!

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2021, 09:27:35 AM »
Regardless of who is selected for the Providence game, Koby has been a Warrior all season. Unlike last season and perhaps most related to his hand injury, he is now a threat from 3 and can finish at the basket. He guards the oppositions best perimeter player yet avoids foul trouble, critical based on our lack of depth, and has taken a true leadership role with his talk and actions.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 09:29:32 AM by franklinjerry »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2021, 09:50:35 AM »
Dawson Garcia. He's really developing into a leader.

This is huge, because you need someone who can steady the ship. When things get tough, Koby is probably too emotional, DJ tends to force it, and Lewis' effort ebbs and flows. But so far Dawson has shown the ability to keep calm and make the right decisions.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 09:54:20 AM by MUfan12 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2021, 09:57:46 AM »
Regardless of who is selected for the Providence game, Koby has been a Warrior all season. Unlike last season and perhaps most related to his hand injury, he is now a threat from 3 and can finish at the basket. He guards the oppositions best perimeter player yet avoids foul trouble, critical based on our lack of depth, and has taken a true leadership role with his talk and actions.

Agree on all of this.

It was sad to see so many supposed Marquette fans not just bail on Koby last season (and into this season) but be very mean-spirited and downright cruel in their assessments of him. It reminded me of the way some went after Lockett, but it really was worse. Very personal attacks.

Koby is not a star. But he is a legit P6 player with some definite strengths and a lot of passion for the game. Love having him on the team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2021, 10:03:26 AM »
This is huge, because you need someone who can steady the ship. When things get tough, Koby is probably too emotional, DJ tends to force it, and Lewis' effort ebbs and flows. But so far Dawson has shown the ability to keep calm and make the right decisions.

Agree with this. DJ's aggressiveness has paid off a lot at the end of big games but it won't always work out. Dawson has been the steadying force.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2021, 10:19:07 AM »
DG

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2021, 10:59:11 AM »
That is the correct spelling. Actually my grandmothers last name on my fathers side.

My dad went to college in San Antonio and had a fraternity brother with that last name that pronounced it "Garsha". 
Have some patience, FFS.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2021, 11:34:09 AM »
My dad went to college in San Antonio and had a fraternity brother with that last name that pronounced it "Garsha".

Like the cigars..."Garsha Vega"
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2021, 11:35:15 AM »
"Garson" for SOTG.  Like the announcer called him a few times in the first half.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2021, 11:50:39 AM »
The whole accent thing is something that gets whitewashed by computers/printers that don't always include the special characters.  My students complain that their names are "spelled wrong" on our official school portals and there's really nothing we can do about it because Powerschool doesn't recognize those characters.  There was a big MLB campaign a few years ago by players (like former Brewer Hernán Pérez) to get uniforms to include accent marks.  As far as I can remember, no MU players have used accents or special characters (like the ñ or that French ç thing) on uniforms in the past.  None of Marquette's official websites use the í in Garcia's name, nor does the JS, though it is common.

Someone tweet at him and see what he says

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2021, 12:59:29 PM »
The whole accent thing is something that gets whitewashed by computers/printers that don't always include the special characters.  My students complain that their names are "spelled wrong" on our official school portals and there's really nothing we can do about it because Powerschool doesn't recognize those characters.  There was a big MLB campaign a few years ago by players (like former Brewer Hernán Pérez) to get uniforms to include accent marks.  As far as I can remember, no MU players have used accents or special characters (like the ñ or that French ç thing) on uniforms in the past.  None of Marquette's official websites use the í in Garcia's name, nor does the JS, though it is common.

LOL people are getting a little too serious. I was just pointing out the correct spelling in Spanish. The accent tells you the way to pronounce the word or like "este" and "esté" are two different words with two distinct meanings.
Goal is National Championship

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2021, 01:15:41 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm watching coverage of the House proceedings right now and the last two Congresspeople to speak were both named Garcia.  One was spelled Jesús García and the other was Sylvia Garcia.  Both can be correct.

We don't know if Dawson spells his name with an i or and í because Marquette's publications don't say.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2021, 02:26:00 PM »

^^^ This

LOL people are getting a little too serious. I was just pointing out the correct spelling in Spanish. The accent tells you the way to pronounce the word or like "este" and "esté" are two different words with two distinct meanings.

I understand -  but if he has a preference, I'm happy to oblige!

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2021, 03:02:42 PM »
Dawson.

feedback