Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blue Jay No Way  (Read 31575 times)

lurch91

• All American
Re: Blue Jay No Way
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2020, 10:20:42 PM »
Great team win.  Kudos to Wojo and crew for making adjustments at half to get the game on track and steal a road win.

Was great to see Elliot have a hell of a game, we don't win without him.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 10:24:11 PM by lurch91 »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2020, 10:20:52 PM »
Best game Wojo ever coached. He really coached well, made adjustments at halftime and largely shut down the 3-barrage that almost killed us in the first half.

Team has some growing to do. but what we saw tonight was special

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2020, 10:21:44 PM »
I have to imagine the camaraderie is different. Nobody is “the guy” and it’s win by committee.

As fun as it was to watch Markus, it was always live or die by Markus. Starting to remember what it’s like to watch a team. What a ride it’s been in 7 games. 

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2020, 10:22:02 PM »
The first half was everything I expected this game to be. The second was not. Elliott & Carton both with career highs. A road Big East win. Wojo is now 5-2 in Omaha. WTF happened in that second half?

Some people may say “an in game adjustment” was made. I think Creighton feel in love with the three and died by it. They shot 32 of them while MU shot 21. Creighton only made 2 more threes.
MU outrebounded them by 15 total and 5 on offense. I thought MU turned it over more but only 12.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2020, 10:22:43 PM »
Not even half way through the season and have two top 10 wins under our belt. Similar to the last two seasons we also had pretty big wins to start the year. Hopefully Wojo can take what he has learned from those two late season collapses and install it into the new players. This does feel like a different marquette team though that the last few years. Hopefully its not my googles after a top 10 road win.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2020, 10:22:59 PM »
I see a lot of teams do it and I always think it is stupid. Taking fouls at end of first half when the opponent is not in the bonus. McEwen takes a foul with 4+ seconds to go and Creighton ends up with a miracle three. McEwen finishes game with 4 fouls.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2020, 10:23:12 PM »
While Dawson needs to get stronger, tonight showed he also needed confidence.  He found  it in the 2nd half and played great..

I thought the refs were fine.  Elliott was flopping and both he and Cain put themselves in bad positions on those final plays.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2020, 10:24:28 PM »
5 guys in double figures.

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2020, 10:24:48 PM »
Wasnt expecting a W, Creighton always plays us tough and even tougher to play in their gym (albeit without fans...but still...we wont make excuses if MU loses at home and neither should they)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2020, 10:24:57 PM »
We may only get one more year out of this group despite its youth. Selfishly I would love Theo for one more season.

But hey, I’m still gonna enjoy two, top-10 wins to start the year.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2020, 10:25:43 PM »
Greg. He is a dude. Love his commitment.  Love his passion. Not our best guy but if our best guys had his passion...

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2020, 10:25:57 PM »
Shut down Ballock. I said make everyone else beat us. Mahoney was close...but he’s no Ballock.
Great job MU!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2020, 10:26:14 PM »
Dawson was mostly brutal again in the first half not knwoing how to finish down low and looking sloppy.

Boy did he play like a burger boy when we needed him though.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2020, 10:27:21 PM »
MU shot 54%.  57% from 3.  The end.   

If I was the coach, I'd have my players do that every game.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2020, 10:27:30 PM »
Bitchin - follow it up Thursday and get that bad play after sig wins monkey off our back!  MU rah!!!

8-7 v Creighton since coming in - keep that up wojo !!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2020, 10:28:26 PM »
5 guys in double figures.
And both Freshman almost double-doubled. Garcia 14 and 10, Lewis 11 and 9.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2020, 10:28:50 PM »
Also I gotta shout out Koby McEwen. He’s playing smart, efficiently, shooting well and playing great D. I think he’s letting the game come to him more and found a role instead of trying to do too much when Howard was his backcourt mate.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2020, 10:30:13 PM »
While Dawson needs to get stronger, tonight showed he also needed confidence.  He found  it in the 2nd half and played great..

I thought the refs were fine.  Elliott was flopping and both he and Cain put themselves in bad positions on those final plays.

He found it by getting a lay up first, a block, a board, etc... A few different games this season, Garcia has taken and missed a handful of 3's early in games.

What I would like to see change is running a set for a more high percentage shot early for him, to get a bucket, some rythm and some confidence earlier in the game.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2020, 10:30:33 PM »
A real pleasure to beat a very talented well coached team. A real team effort.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2020, 10:31:00 PM »
The first half was everything I expected this game to be. The second was not. Elliott & Carton both with career highs. A road Big East win. Wojo is now 5-2 in Omaha. WTF happened in that second half?

Mac happened, first of all.  Wojo gets ripped for being a bad coach, but I’d take him over Mac in a heartbeat.  Wojo especially seems to have his number—we always match up well with the Blue Jays and their style of play.  You’ll never see Creighton make an adjustment on either end (53 points last year from Markus is example 1a of that) and Creighton won’t slow down the game if they have a big lead.

Ballock got shut down/stopped asserting himself in the second half, and Zegarowski was 0-7 from three and played like a scared bunny all game.  Creighton also has zero post presence, they can’t rebound at all and we destroyed them on the offensive glass.

I’ll feel pretty good about beating them the second time around, too.  If DJ is hitting, we can hold our own from the outside and the Jays don’t have anyone who can stop skilled bigs like Lewis and Garcia, or even a bruiser like John. 

It’s a good matchup for us.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2020, 10:32:01 PM »
Only five turnovers in second half.

Elliott played almost entire second half for Cain, who picked up early foul.  Made some clutch threes the spurred the team.  He made some stupid plays (flops) and fouls, but his best game at MU.

MU missed three front end foul shots, two in last minutes (Lewis and Carton).  Make them and it would not have been so frightening at end.  Well, unless CU made some, but both teams sucked at the line.

Garcia finally played tough in second half, taking it strong to the basket (14 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks). Stopped jacking up threes. Very, very good effort.

Balanced scoring.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2020, 10:32:22 PM »
42-28 on the boards. Difference

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2020, 10:35:37 PM »
When was the last time we forced a team to adjust to us instead of vice versa?

Wojo dialed up the correct defensive adjustments in the 2nd half to allow 2 bigs to continue to be on the floor. Then an emphasis on getting the ball inside on offense.

Mac had to try something, and we played darn well vs the zone.

Applause.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2020, 10:35:46 PM »
After so many years being undersized, it's nice to see a game where we outrebounded the hell out of somebody.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2020, 10:36:48 PM »
Of course 4ever is nowhere to be seen after MU makes its comeback.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow