[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread  (Read 40382 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2023, 11:13:52 AM »
Well if he can finish at the rim, and we all agree he's a lights out shooter, this NBA thing should be easy. 

Well no, defense is still a thing

The easy out for me on this argument...the NBA is pretty good at finding and developing talent.  He didn't stick for a reason...if Denver wasn't a great fit...we really believe no other teams realized this and scooped him up?

IMHO Markus' ceiling is an NBA bench player...and he's not there yet. I don't think NBA teams are in the business of taking young projects whose ceilings are that low. I think NBA teams are happy to sign a guy who is already good enough to play 15-20 minutes off the bench even if he'll never be more than that. They are less likely to sign a guy who may be good enough to play 15-20 minutes off the bench after some development. It's better business to give those spots to young guys with more upside.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2023, 12:20:30 PM »
Lot easier to overcome that when you're in Markus' position making a nice 6 figures, living/playing in a mid sized Western European city in an NBA sized arena, etc...  Same for someone like Fischer.  I think the scenarios you mention happen with guys in the second and third tier leagues who are playing in more off the beaten path areas for much lower salaries and amenities.  Big difference between playing in a French/Spanish/Greek city in front of 10K fans than playing in Lithuania/Georgia/Macedonia for a team in a town of 30K people on a court with volleyball/handball lines on it for $4-5K a month.

Good points, Wags.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2023, 12:28:44 PM »
5'11 is 5'11.   I loved Markus, but I never thought he could make it in the NBA at 5'11.   He made it, he just couldn't stick.   If he was 6'3, second coming of Steph Curry.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2023, 12:29:47 PM »
Please, no

I agree.  I like a little creativity with court design, but some teams have gone a little too far.  TCU's, for example.  They ought to broadcast a seizure warning before they show it on TV

Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2023, 12:30:33 PM »
5'11 is 5'11.   I loved Markus, but I never thought he could make it in the NBA at 5'11.   He made it, he just couldn't stick.   If he was 6'3, second coming of Steph Curry.

And he isn't really 5'11" either.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2023, 12:34:33 PM »
I feel like there is a team in Milwaukee that can use him as an off the bench spark this season.
A team that’s been putrid beyond the arc and loves to shoot a ton of 3s.

Markus Howard's career NBA 3FG%: 34.1

Current Bucks with a better 3FG% this year:  Green, Lopez, Allen, Carter, Nwora, Holiday. 

And there are 10 players with a higher EFG than his career average.

This describes many NBA teams.  There is one an hour and a half south of Milwaukee who could use him as well.  NBA GMs are overthinking this or overlooking this. 

C'mon...  Look I know we love our Warriors, but if the take is "the NBA GMs don't know what they are doing," that's a pretty wild statement.

As I said, he will get another shot. But you can't overlook his size.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2023, 12:36:48 PM »
I feel like there is a team in Milwaukee that can use him as an off the bench spark this season.
A team that’s been putrid beyond the arc and loves to shoot a ton of 3s.

If Bud won't play Nwora there's no way he'd play Howard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2023, 12:47:18 PM »
And he isn't really 5'11" either.
I know.  You would think Muggsy would be more of a fan.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 02:19:27 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2023, 01:07:25 PM »
Markus Howard's career NBA 3FG%: 34.1

Current Bucks with a better 3FG% this year:  Green, Lopez, Allen, Carter, Nwora, Holiday. 

And there are 10 players with a higher EFG than his career average.

So its interesting, and also kind of a Catch-22.

First off, he was exponentially better in the last month of the 20-21 season and into the playoffs.  And in 21-22, he shot 40% from 3, on more attempts.

But here's the Catch-22.  In games where he shot 3 or more 3PA, Markus has shot 43% in the NBA.  In 21-22, that went up to 46.2% from 3 in those games.

So he's an elite sharpshooter in the NBA when he can get run and rhythm, but off the bench shooters, especially late off the bench shooters, can't be regularly be expecting 3+ looks a game.  Unless there are injuries, like late in 20-21 where he exploded a few times.  So you have to deliver in 1-2 looks a game which he struggled with (comparatively).  His best bet is to get picked up mid/late season by a team with injuries where he can get 20 min a game and shoot the lights out and properly audition for the next season.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2023, 01:09:31 PM »

First off, he was exponentially better in the last month of the 20-21 season and into the playoffs.  And in 21-22, he shot 40% from 3, on more attempts.

But here's the Catch-22.  In games where he shot 3 or more 3PA, Markus has shot 43% in the NBA.  In 21-22, that went up to 46.2% from 3 in those games.

So he's an elite sharpshooter in the NBA when he can get run and rhythm, but off the bench shooters, especially late off the bench shooters, can't be regularly be expecting 3+ looks a game.  Unless there are injuries, like late in 20-21 where he exploded a few times.  So you have to deliver in 1-2 looks a game which he struggled with (comparatively).  His best bet is to get picked up mid/late season by a team with injuries where he can get 20 min a game and shoot the lights out and properly audition for the next season.

Nice data.

Maybe they can keep him on a side court with a trainer chucking up 3s until he’s ready to come in in the last minute so he’s hot fire

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2023, 01:35:20 PM »

Thanks for the data.  If Howard gets a shot he likely will be one of the five best three point shooters in the league let alone on a single team.  If he plays 3 minutes at the end of a game you will be able to list average three point shooters on the same team in the same breath as him.  I get the height thing.  He is so elite as a shooter though I would think someone would give him a shot.  I hope he gets a real chance.  If I’m proven wrong, I’m ok with that. 

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2023, 01:41:10 PM »

Really?  I've been told by Scoopers that a player should be able to perform immediately upon insertion into a game and if they don't they should be benched.  Further, a player who gets 2-3 minute stints of action should be able to produce at a high level.

Absolutely love that Shaka rarely, if ever, has yanked a guy 2-3 minutes after inserting him.  Maybe its happened to Ben Gold a time or two, but Shaka gets it.

As for Markus, I think he's worthy of another shot in the NBA and would like to see him on the Bucks.  And I agree that he needs to see 20 minutes per game consistently to see what he can do.  Unfortunately, that opportunity doesn't exist on a contending team.  So, better off for him to get picked up by a bottom feeder and see what he can do.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2023, 03:43:20 PM »
I agree.  I like a little creativity with court design, but some teams have gone a little too far.  TCU's, for example.  They ought to broadcast a seizure warning before they show it on TV

Oregon: we have the ugliest most distracting court!

TCU: hold my beer.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 04:04:35 PM by pbiflyer »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2023, 04:32:42 PM »
Oregon: we have the ugliest most distracting court!

TCU: hold my beer.

Northern Illinois has to be up there
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2023, 05:38:32 PM »
Really?  I've been told by Scoopers that a player should be able to perform immediately upon insertion into a game and if they don't they should be benched.  Further, a player who gets 2-3 minute stints of action should be able to produce at a high level.

Absolutely love that Shaka rarely, if ever, has yanked a guy 2-3 minutes after inserting him.  Maybe its happened to Ben Gold a time or two, but Shaka gets it.

I like that Shaka lets guys get in the flow, too, though he probably has a quicker hook at times than you think.

For example, Sean Jones entered the Providence game at the 16:00 mark of the second half, committed a foul, was out of position on another play, and was sat down at the 14:54 mark.

Then, after that 1 minute, 6 second stretch, Jones didn't play again until Shaka put him in with 4 seconds left in regulation -- and asked him to "produce at a high level" with the game on the line.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2023, 06:13:03 PM »
Northern Illinois has to be up there

Seriously, if we can't have the bumblebee uniforms, then similar rules need to apply to courts.

Also, it's only a matter of time before someone has a center court logo that touches the 3-point line on each end of the court.  You heard it here first.
Have some patience, FFS.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2023, 08:33:59 PM »

Markus is closer to 5'8 then he is 5'11.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2023, 08:37:51 PM »
Yes.  Doing him the courtesy of not calling him a liar.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2023, 09:01:29 PM »
Seriously, if we can't have the bumblebee uniforms, then similar rules need to apply to courts.

Also, it's only a matter of time before someone has a center court logo that touches the 3-point line on each end of the court.  You heard it here first.

Agree totally. I would like to see solid color in the paint-no designs. Rest of court-confine designs to specific portion of the court designated. Then a team could have whatever design they want, but only in the designated areas.  Trying to regulate the allowable designs themselves is much more difficult than that of unis.

And then there's PC's court. They play 10 conference games and a slew of non-cons there, so they have experience with the watery court. The fact that there is not another large arena in Providence should not be accepted as an excuse. That should be their problem, not the rest of us. Every year we hear that they have new equipment and have solved the problem. Every year they fail. Let them play on their on-campus court.   
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 09:10:35 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2023, 09:20:01 PM »
Howard was measured at 5 11 at the draft combine.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2023, 09:38:33 PM »
If you look at Markus' advanced stats in Europe they show he's not involved in Defense nor does he make the team's offense better.  He's just a shooter/scorer.  Nothing more.
I think we knew that... but if Euro stats prove it, there's no way he gets another shot in the NBA.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2023, 09:49:00 PM »
I’m 5’11” without shoes and got a picture with Markus. I was no taller than him. Didn’t notice his shoes but I doubt he was in platform shoes.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #172 on: January 09, 2023, 10:07:39 PM »
If you look at Markus' advanced stats in Europe they show he's not involved in Defense nor does he make the team's offense better.  He's just a shooter/scorer.  Nothing more.
I think we knew that... but if Euro stats prove it, there's no way he gets another shot in the NBA.

Show us the stats.  That’s pretty interesting.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2023, 10:21:48 PM »
I like that Shaka lets guys get in the flow, too, though he probably has a quicker hook at times than you think.

For example, Sean Jones entered the Providence game at the 16:00 mark of the second half, committed a foul, was out of position on another play, and was sat down at the 14:54 mark.

Then, after that 1 minute, 6 second stretch, Jones didn't play again until Shaka put him in with 4 seconds left in regulation -- and asked him to "produce at a high level" with the game on the line.

Yup. Guys get yanked quickly when they come in and make dumb mistakes. Can't afford to let second string players get in the flow if that process means turning the ball over in short order.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2023, 10:52:06 PM »

Yep. So is Sean Jones.