[Today at 07:56:19 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 185446 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2020, 01:19:40 PM »
Well yeah, I mean there's what two other players in bucks history that would be on his level (or better) and both were traded away.

Just one. (Kareem)

Ray Allen was never at this level.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2020, 01:21:00 PM »
What a relief. Easily the most significant contract related event in Bucks history Wisconsin sports history

IMO

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2020, 01:22:14 PM »

Just one. (Kareem)

Ray Allen was never at this level.
Maybe he means Kent Benson

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2020, 01:34:35 PM »
IMO

Reggie White FA signing is up there as well.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2020, 01:34:41 PM »
There was always a chance, but I figured it was at least 90% that he was gonna sign. He's comfortable here, plus that's a lot more money than he would have gotten anywhere else.

Just outstanding news!!

90% is bordering on irrational confidence given everything.  The rumors over the last few weeks were concerning to say the least.  Also, there have only been a handful of MVPs from small market teams over the last 30 years. Garnett, Durant, Westbrook, and Giannis (not counting Malone cause he’s a weirdo).  Sticking with a small team, especially in this era, just seems highly unlikely.  At the very least, they should get another 3-4 years out of Giannis, which is incredibly huge.

IMO

One could probably argue Reggie White given the outsized influence of the Packers vs the Bucks in this state

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2020, 01:37:02 PM »
No Greenie Weenie for the Bucks.  Please, don't trade his "sorry ass!"
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2020, 01:39:37 PM »
Reggie White FA signing is up there as well.

Correct. I forgot about that one. Reggie White is the most significant on many levels.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2020, 01:44:48 PM »
90% is bordering on irrational confidence given everything.  The rumors over the last few weeks were concerning to say the least.  Also, there have only been a handful of MVPs from small market teams over the last 30 years. Garnett, Durant, Westbrook, and Giannis (not counting Malone cause he’s a weirdo).  Sticking with a small team, especially in this era, just seems highly unlikely.  At the very least, they should get another 3-4 years out of Giannis, which is incredibly huge.

One could probably argue Reggie White given the outsized influence of the Packers vs the Bucks in this state

The difference is that GA never expressed the willingness to leave that the others did. He has always talked affectionately about Milwaukee.

LeBron, Durant, Garnett, Westbrook, Harden all publicly expressed the desire to leave their former teams.

I would have been very surprised if he had refused to sign the extension.

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2020, 01:45:18 PM »

Not only that, but he wasn't *re*signing.  He was a UFA.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2020, 02:09:16 PM »
This signing is right up there with Reggie signing with the Packers as FA. This would have been a ball buster if he had not signed. Big time news and very jacked up over it.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2020, 07:28:43 PM »
This signing is right up there with Reggie signing with the Packers as FA. This would have been a ball buster if he had not signed. Big time news and very jacked up over it.

Milwaukee has 2 in their prime MVPs who have signed long term deals to stay.

This is game changing stuff. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2020, 07:45:37 PM »
Milwaukee has 2 in their prime MVPs who have signed long term deals to stay.

This is game changing stuff.

And GB has one, as well.

We could end up with MVPs in the same year in all 3 major sports.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2020, 07:39:01 AM »
For a guy who brags constantly about how good a basketball player he was/is -- indeed, that he could have beaten MJ 1-on-1, LaVar Ball was 0-for-3 in teaching his own sons how to shoot.

All three have had horrible form, although Lonzo's is finally looking better after NBA coaches from two different organizations have had to re-work it. The Hornets just drafted LaMelo, and he is a wizard with the basketball, but his shooting form is ugly bordering on ridiculous.

I know many middle-school coaches who have taught their players far better shooting form. The great LaVar Ball went oh-fer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2020, 07:58:51 AM »
Kan da Bucks and Lakers now chitkan Giannis' brothers, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2020, 08:37:09 AM »
For a guy who brags constantly about how good a basketball player he was/is -- indeed, that he could have beaten MJ 1-on-1, LaVar Ball was 0-for-3 in teaching his own sons how to shoot.

All three have had horrible form, although Lonzo's is finally looking better after NBA coaches from two different organizations have had to re-work it. The Hornets just drafted LaMelo, and he is a wizard with the basketball, but his shooting form is ugly bordering on ridiculous.

I know many middle-school coaches who have taught their players far better shooting form. The great LaVar Ball went oh-fer.

Yet 2 of his 3 sons were top 3 picks in the NBA Draft.  I'd love to fail that badly at developing my children into basketball players someday, if that's what my kids desire.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »
The Giannis signing should make it easier to recruit another big start to Milwaukee. I think many were reluctant to come, as they thought that Giannis may leave, or that they could recruit Giannis to their team instead.

Now he is a Buck for 5-years, and he can say he isn't going anywhere and they can build a powerhouse in Milwaukee.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2020, 09:30:28 AM »
The Giannis signing should make it easier to recruit another big start to Milwaukee. I think many were reluctant to come, as they thought that Giannis may leave, or that they could recruit Giannis to their team instead.

Now he is a Buck for 5-years, and he can say he isn't going anywhere and they can build a powerhouse in Milwaukee.

In theory, yeah. But the cap situation will be tough if they extend Jrue and keep Khris.

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2020, 09:47:31 AM »
I think Jrue and Khris get two years to figure this out, and if it doesn't work, it will be another rebuild.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2020, 10:29:07 AM »
Yet 2 of his 3 sons were top 3 picks in the NBA Draft.  I'd love to fail that badly at developing my children into basketball players someday, if that's what my kids desire.

Please show me where I said he "failed" at developing his kids into basketball players.

Two of them are very skilled -- indeed, I said LaMelo is "a wizard with the basketball" -- and the other obviously has talent, too.

What I said is that all three have terrible form on their shots. Nearly every pro scout/coach agrees with that. You disagree? Have you seen what their shots look like?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2020, 10:39:42 AM »

Rajon Rondo has proven that if you can pass and defend and rebound as a lanky PG, you can be be an All Star and play in the league for a LONG time. Lonzo is in the same mold.  And Melo was a top 3 pick despite endless scrutiny and bias against him being overhyped due to his Dad.

I think Melo ends up being better than his older brother. Here%u2019s my thought, Melo was 5%u20199-5%u201910 when we started seeing all those videos of him scoring absurd amounts of points in HS games.  Shooting over people, having to sky jumpers. Then in a VERY short period of time, he%u2019s spiked up to 6%u20198. He can shoot over the top of people and up until this point, was able to get away with a lot because of his athleticism. Both leads to inconsistency.

I read somewhere that he doesn%u2019t have a consistent shooting form and kind of tweaks/plays around with it from shot to shot.  Which shows some creativity to his offensive game that clearly matches the rest of his skill set, but doesn%u2019t exactly translate well to the NBA game.  He%u2019ll get it sorted out. He was a better shooter than his brothers when he was younger anyways.

And any criticism, minor or even tongue in cheek, about Lavar Ball and his grooming of his sons seems really silly or salty at this point.  I%u2019d argue shooting is the easiest core skill to teach or fix. What Lonzo and Melo do otherwise is remarkable. Their basketball IQs are off the charts. With one of 3 brothers being a bum, they still are already in discussions for most successful basketball families of all time...without a pro baller father.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 10:41:16 AM by JWags85 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2020, 11:36:28 PM »
Rajon Rondo has proven that if you can pass and defend and rebound as a lanky PG, you can be be an All Star and play in the league for a LONG time. Lonzo is in the same mold.  And Melo was a top 3 pick despite endless scrutiny and bias against him being overhyped due to his Dad.

I think Melo ends up being better than his older brother. Here%u2019s my thought, Melo was 5%u20199-5%u201910 when we started seeing all those videos of him scoring absurd amounts of points in HS games.  Shooting over people, having to sky jumpers. Then in a VERY short period of time, he%u2019s spiked up to 6%u20198. He can shoot over the top of people and up until this point, was able to get away with a lot because of his athleticism. Both leads to inconsistency.

I read somewhere that he doesn%u2019t have a consistent shooting form and kind of tweaks/plays around with it from shot to shot.  Which shows some creativity to his offensive game that clearly matches the rest of his skill set, but doesn%u2019t exactly translate well to the NBA game.  He%u2019ll get it sorted out. He was a better shooter than his brothers when he was younger anyways.

And any criticism, minor or even tongue in cheek, about Lavar Ball and his grooming of his sons seems really silly or salty at this point.  I%u2019d argue shooting is the easiest core skill to teach or fix. What Lonzo and Melo do otherwise is remarkable. Their basketball IQs are off the charts. With one of 3 brothers being a bum, they still are already in discussions for most successful basketball families of all time...without a pro baller father.

Fair enough ... though I still wish he could shoot better. Maybe, like Magic (and even Rondo), he'll develop something. You are right about him being a gifted player, though. The highlights I've seen from only his couple exhibition games with the Hornets including 4-5 "Oh wow!" passes.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2020, 08:08:46 AM »
Jimmy Butler does not want to be your hero

Really nice piece
https://www.si.com/nba/2020/12/15/jimmy-butler-heat-most-interesting-man-daily-cover

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2020, 08:26:37 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2020, 08:47:30 AM »
A testimony to hard work.   Knowing his back story and even how some were calling him a wasted scholarship during his first few games at MU makes it even cooler.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback