[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 185706 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2021, 05:01:56 PM »
I hope he comes back soon.  I think him breaking up the locker room is the only way the Nets don't win the East.

He's always been a team first guy.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2021, 05:02:34 PM »
Honestly, this is as close to a win win as you can get for almost everyone. 

Nets wanted Harden.

Rockets get Dipo, who really wanted out of Indy, a ton of picks, and Exum who is still only 25, is finally healthy and has tons of upside and can play under Wall and learn from him.

Pacers get a replacement for Dipo in Lavert who is a similar kind of player.  They showed last night what a tough team they have, and hopefully it improves chemistry.

And the Cavs, just for playing along, move a guard from a crowded backcourt and get a solid complimentary player in Prince and one of the best young big men in the league in Allen.

Besides Houston, the Pacers are the big winner here. They get an equivalent to Oladipo in LeVert who is cheaper and has two more years left on his deal after this year. 

Brooklyn trading bunch of unprotected picks. Shades of the KG/Pierce trade in 2013. How did that work out again, Brooklyn?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2021, 05:12:55 PM »
One thing I don't understand about the NBA Covid protocal, when a team doesn't have 8 players why can't they call up someone like Vander  or Buycks  who are  staying in shape and ready to play? Seems like there would be plenty of guys like that out there.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2021, 05:18:57 PM »
Besides Houston, the Pacers are the big winner here. They get an equivalent to Oladipo in LeVert who is cheaper and has two more years left on his deal after this year. 

Brooklyn trading bunch of unprotected picks. Shades of the KG/Pierce trade in 2013. How did that work out again, Brooklyn?

Harden is in his prime. KG and Pierce were not. And these Nets were better before the trade than those Nets were. The Nets are totally stacked. Just up to whether Kyrie and Harden can coexist.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2021, 05:29:42 PM »
Harden is in his prime. KG and Pierce were not. And these Nets were better before the trade than those Nets were. The Nets are totally stacked. Just up to whether Kyrie and Harden can coexist.

Dude is a specimen (from last night).

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2021, 05:33:37 PM »
Dude is a specimen (from last night).

Harden is always hard to gauge fitness cause even at his peak fitness he’s got that Paul Pierce/Chris Paul soft borderline pudge arm look going.  The jokes about him wearing a fat suit to force a trade were hilarious today tho

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2021, 10:25:27 AM »
Personally I  think this is the end of the Nets.  Between Harden's me me me, Durant's poutyness and Kyrie's bi-polarishness, that team is done.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2021, 02:12:59 PM »
Never.
He is who he is.

I think that when it's all said and done, winning a championship with Kyrie on the roster might prove to be LeBron's single greatest accomplishment.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #183 on: January 14, 2021, 02:34:36 PM »
I think that when it's all said and done, winning a championship with Kyrie on the roster might prove to be LeBron's single greatest accomplishment.

Except they don’t win that title without Kyrie being unreal. Beyond the sublime winning shot in Game 7, if he doesn’t go supernova alongside Lebron in Game 5 and add 26 in Game 7, they don’t it pull it off. Lebron fans love acting like he carried Kyrie or overcame him. But that was hardly the case, and he didn’t get fully wacky until he left Cleveland.

As for the Lebron leadership angle, he and Kyrie clearly didn’t get along and according to my friends in Cleveland close to the franchise, Channing Frye and Kevin Love were the ones who helped guide and get all they could out of Kyrie

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2021, 02:39:35 PM »
Except they don’t win that title without Kyrie being unreal. Beyond the sublime winning shot in Game 7, if he doesn’t go supernova alongside Lebron in Game 5 and add 26 in Game 7, they don’t it pull it off. Lebron fans love acting like he carried Kyrie or overcame him. But that was hardly the case, and he didn’t get fully wacky until he left Cleveland.

As for the Lebron leadership angle, he and Kyrie clearly didn’t get along and according to my friends in Cleveland close to the franchise, Channing Frye and Kevin Love were the ones who helped guide and get all they could out of Kyrie

Absolutely. I think Kyrie is an incredible player. I also think they would have won another title the year before if Kyrie hadn't gotten injured.

I was just making a joke about Kyrie's widely-discussed tendency to create some locker room challenges.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2021, 04:16:05 PM »
Cleveland was one Draymond Greene suspension away from showing the same futility as the Buffalo Bills.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2021, 07:34:40 PM »
Assuming full health for both rosters Cleveland probably wins in 14-15 and GS probably wins in 15-16.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2021, 07:37:25 PM »

This.

But Kyrie seems toxic now. It's gonna be interesting in Brooklyn.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #188 on: January 15, 2021, 08:49:21 PM »
#34 is a joke at the free throw line. MVP, my ass, aina?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:51:01 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #189 on: January 15, 2021, 09:26:48 PM »

1-10 is a problem.  It's strange because he shot over 70% early in his career.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #190 on: January 15, 2021, 10:07:38 PM »
1-10 is a problem.  It's strange because he shot over 70% early in his career.

All his shooting percentages have trended upwards the last few years....except FT. It’s bizarre indeed

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2021, 04:03:12 AM »

What is it with you and Giannis? 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 04:48:00 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2021, 07:12:42 AM »
Giannis' best basketball attributes are his height and length. He is a "freak of nature" because of the things he's capable of doing on the basketball floor, given those measurables. For all his "at the end of the day, its about getting better" rhetoric, I don't see it materializing. He's not a great shooter, nor a great passer. Yes, he's a great defender and rebounder. I don't see him exhibiting a high basketball IQ. Lock yourself in a gym each day and shoot 1000 free throws. You can just see it in his face that he has no confidence in free throw shooting, especially with the game on the line. He'll never win a championship as the alpha dog. Needs more talent surrounding him to take the pressure off his game. That's when he can excel.
I can't stand LBJ, on and off the court. But, from a pure basketball standpoint, even at age 36, he's the best overall basketball player on the planet, and its not even close, hey?

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2021, 07:23:42 AM »
LBJ is a better player yes.

But I just don't think you can shoot yourself into a being a better shooter.  If you don't have the touch, you can only do so much.  Giannis is a very efficient player and one of the best defenders in the NBA.  And winning a championship isn't easy.  If he wins one, he will be the alpha dog on that team.  I mean, there are only a couple players in the league who are arguably better.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2021, 07:31:27 AM »
FT are in his head now and a confidence  issue. He shot 72% or better 5 straight seasons, then fell to 63% last year and under 60% this year.  He’s clearly capable of much better from the line because he’s done it consistently, but it’s snowballed and his confidence is shot.

It’s a real problem for the Bucks to make a title run.  He’s their best player obviously and will be there a ton how he plays. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 07:45:39 AM by HutchwasClutch »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #195 on: January 17, 2021, 06:48:50 PM »
Giannis sucks. He’ll never be any good. If he’s gonna keep sucking, the Bucks should punish him by trading him to the Hornets for a second-round draft pick. That’ll show him!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2021, 07:43:35 PM »
Honestly, even though it’s close, that was an ugly first half of basketball in Brooklyn. 6 made FGs in the last 5 min of the second. Gross

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #197 on: January 18, 2021, 09:23:09 PM »
Quite the big IF

But if Kyrie can at least semi screw his head on. Nets gonna be pretty unstoppable.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #198 on: January 18, 2021, 10:08:31 PM »
Giannis' best basketball attributes are his height and length. He is a "freak of nature" because of the things he's capable of doing on the basketball floor, given those measurables. For all his "at the end of the day, its about getting better" rhetoric, I don't see it materializing. He's not a great shooter, nor a great passer. Yes, he's a great defender and rebounder. I don't see him exhibiting a high basketball IQ. Lock yourself in a gym each day and shoot 1000 free throws. You can just see it in his face that he has no confidence in free throw shooting, especially with the game on the line. He'll never win a championship as the alpha dog. Needs more talent surrounding him to take the pressure off his game. That's when he can excel.
I can't stand LBJ, on and off the court. But, from a pure basketball standpoint, even at age 36, he's the best overall basketball player on the planet, and its not even close, hey?

Giannis is a career 72% FT shooter. Lebron is a career 73% FT shooter.

Should the "best player on the planet and it's not even close" lock himself in the gym each day too?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2021, 10:15:27 PM »
Giannis is a career 72% FT shooter. Lebron is a career 73% FT shooter.

Should the "best player on the planet and it's not even close" lock himself in the gym each day too?

Giannis free throw shooting in a small sample does appear to be badly plummeting and has I think been terrible throughout his playoff career.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....