'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Carton's Shot  (Read 7187 times)

1SE

• All American
Carton's Shot
« on: December 05, 2020, 04:43:10 AM »
Stayed up late to watch the game and am glad I did. Haven't enjoyed watching a MU game that much in a long time. Really love our crew of young guys - someone should start a poll about how many years Lewis will be here. I don't know if I've ever seen a more impactful game from a freshman.

The only real eyesore for me was Carton's perimeter shot. It looks like he's pulling the ball out of his shorts. Is that the form he shot 40% on last year? I mean as a PG you've gotta make the D respect you behind the arc (cough cough Derrick), but right now I don't know if I want him shooting his way out of the slump during games - take one or two if the D is sagging, but I don't think a Carton 3 should be a primary play option at this point.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Carton's Shot
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 06:02:36 AM »
It looks rushed.  I think its mostly rust.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 07:27:49 AM »
DJ played like the player I hoped that we were getting.  That shot will come.  Even on his misses, I said that's a nice shot/nice touch.
He must lead us, and last night showed that he is more than capable. Im thrilled.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 07:45:18 AM »
Stayed up late to watch the game and am glad I did. Haven't enjoyed watching a MU game that much in a long time. Really love our crew of young guys - someone should start a poll about how many years Lewis will be here. I don't know if I've ever seen a more impactful game from a freshman.

The only real eyesore for me was Carton's perimeter shot. It looks like he's pulling the ball out of his shorts. Is that the form he shot 40% on last year? I mean as a PG you've gotta make the D respect you behind the arc (cough cough Derrick), but right now I don't know if I want him shooting his way out of the slump during games - take one or two if the D is sagging, but I don't think a Carton 3 should be a primary play option at this point.

Glad you changed your mind about watching the game 1SE.

Lewis is like a savvy business investor- cooly ID's opportunities and acts decisively. He's a thinker. He proved that during the game but especially at the buzzer.

Love your description of Carton's shot! I noticed it too. Gives the defender a tiny fraction of a second longer to mess with him. To me, a bigger problem is his inability to understand that seconds on the clock are what they are. Very glad he made the 1st free throw at the end but kudos to Trice for the foul. I really like Carton, but things like that shot clock violation on the first possession of the game are maddening.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 07:55:32 AM »
Glad you changed your mind about watching the game 1SE.

Lewis is like a savvy business investor- cooly ID's opportunities and acts decisively. He's a thinker. He proved that during the game but especially at the buzzer.

Love your description of Carton's shot! I noticed it too. Gives the defender a tiny fraction of a second longer to mess with him. To me, a bigger problem is his inability to understand that seconds on the clock are what they are. Very glad he made the 1st free throw at the end but kudos to Trice for the foul. I really like Carton, but things like that shot clock violation on the first possession of the game are maddening.

I think the bolded is largely an artifact of the TV clock and the actual game clock not being synched up this year. Apparently, if you look for the actual game clock on screen, contact with Trice occurred with 1.5 s still left on the clock. There was actually enough time for him to still get all the way to the hoop.

I've noticed this on shot clock issues too, the shot clock on the TV broadcast often ends before the one on the court. I think this is due to the delay in live broadcasts.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 08:25:59 AM »
I think the bolded is largely an artifact of the TV clock and the actual game clock not being synched up this year. Apparently, if you look for the actual game clock on screen, contact with Trice occurred with 1.5 s still left on the clock. There was actually enough time for him to still get all the way to the hoop.

I've noticed this on shot clock issues too, the shot clock on the TV broadcast often ends before the one on the court. I think this is due to the delay in live broadcasts.

Yep..couple examples here of the clock being off:

https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/1335215133543501825
https://twitter.com/alexjesswein/status/1335218153392140293

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 09:49:01 AM »
On his FTs, he puts his off-hand on top of the ball. Not sure if it's the same for his jump shots

1SE

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 09:59:19 AM »
DJ played like the player I hoped that we were getting.  That shot will come.  Even on his misses, I said that's a nice shot/nice touch.
He must lead us, and last night showed that he is more than capable. Im thrilled.

Yeah, overall I'm thrilled with him - but that shot just looks super ugly to me. If it doesn't come I hope he knows/is coached/is ok with dialing it back on 3PAs. We have enough other shooting to spread the floor - especially if Theo keeps up his 100% clip!

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 10:08:40 AM »
Yeah, overall I'm thrilled with him - but that shot just looks super ugly to me. If it doesn't come I hope he knows/is coached/is ok with dialing it back on 3PAs. We have enough other shooting to spread the floor - especially if Theo keeps up his 100% clip!

I have no idea what in his form looks “super ugly” to you.  He struggled with his shot last night, missing a lot of good looks. It happens to good players. He’ll have games those will all be going in.  Not a thing ugly about his shot though.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 10:19:03 AM »
I have no idea what in his form looks “super ugly” to you.  He struggled with his shot last night, missing a lot of good looks. It happens to good players. He’ll have games those will all be going in.  Not a thing ugly about his shot though.

That 3 at the end of the half looked nice
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 10:35:10 AM »

Nobody else who can really shoot off the dribble, though. It's important he is able to hit those shots at a somewhat efficient clip. I'm confident he will.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 11:29:37 PM »
His shot starts a bit low and is a little too much of a push, but if it goes in who cares.
It does not affect the outcome at this level because he has enough athleticism and intelligence in his game to know when he can get it off and when he cannot.
To move up a level, he will need to fix it.

The only disadvantage is that in time sensitive situations it will be better to get the ball to a guy with a high release like Lewis or Cain.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

1SE

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 02:46:38 AM »
Glad DJ willed us to the win last night, but a 1-4 3pt attempt has him at 29% now on the season. That's a big regression from 40% last year...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 05:57:50 AM »
Other than Greg, who is hitting 3s? 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 08:21:50 AM »
I was thinking that Brendan would have been the difference this year. 2-3  games go the other way with him taking the shot from 3.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 08:23:34 AM »
I was thinking that Brendan would have been the difference this year. 2-3  games go the other way with him taking the shot from 3.

Perhaps but that’s one of Wojo’s great flaws, roster construction.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 08:25:54 AM »
Perhaps but that’s one of Wojo’s great flaws, roster construction.

BB leaving kinda took us all by surprise. The kid from bowling green was supposed to be the replacement and would have come here but for covid. Ima say this one is a bit of a unique one.

But agree there are issues on roster construction.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 08:48:51 AM »
Roster construction is an issue.    Two unused scholarships, no switchables.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 08:57:16 AM »

He will be leading the South Bay Lakers next year

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 11:18:45 AM »
Hope DJ sticks around.  When he finds that 2nd gear, he's really good.  Wish he could find it earlier in games and more consistently.

I think this team could be pretty good next year if DJ/Dawson/Lewis/Theo all return.  We'll see - likely very doubtful. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2021, 11:27:27 AM »
Other than Greg, who is hitting 3s?

Exactly. The team was 6-23 last night. This is not a particularly good 3 point shooting team.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2021, 11:45:26 AM »
It's not a good shooting team in general.  I think DJ needs to put some spin on his shot?  It's kind of flat.  He's so talented but really needs to figure out where to score on the floor and improve his shot.  I think he often plays too fast. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2021, 11:53:57 AM »
Hope DJ sticks around.  When he finds that 2nd gear, he's really good.  Wish he could find it earlier in games and more consistently.

I think this team could be pretty good next year if DJ/Dawson/Lewis/Theo all return.  We'll see - likely very doubtful.
Theo is not returning.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2021, 12:04:01 PM »
Theo is not returning.

Yeah, I'd venture a guess that someone -- not sure who -- is going to pay Theo to play basketball next year.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2021, 12:18:06 PM »
Or Theo could be one of those that thrives at football a la Julius Peppers.

Yeah, I'd venture a guess that someone -- not sure who -- is going to pay Theo to play basketball next year.

feedback