[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Road Kill  (Read 9969 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Road Kill
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2020, 08:21:21 AM »
It was Trice. The best part about it was that Lewis recognized the mismatch right away and hollared at John to get out of the post so he could take advantage. Love seeing a freshman know the right play and communicate to a senior to tell him to get out of the way

I noticed that too (and mentioned it in the SOTG thread). As it was happening, I commented to my wife that I loved seeing a freshman - with under a minute to go in a huge game - calling fir the ball and directing seniors on the floor. That was fantastic.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »
First, what a well played college game on both sides. Second, loving the defensive system this season. Third, a big win for the conference. Fourth, Lewis is a stud and a winner. Fifth, I wish us fans could have been there to relish.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2020, 09:37:15 AM »
My favorite play of the night was our third to last offensive possession.  Lewis got Trice (or maybe it was Davis, who, sadly, is going to be very good for them) on him in the post, took his time backing him down even with the shot clock running low, and turned to face and banked it in with the softest touch to go up one.

Plus Tax.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2020, 09:46:34 AM »
Not complaining, but tonight kinda proves that no team should ever play man defense against MU. They’re gonna see a ton of zone in Big East play.

This is possible but a good zone will require length and some athleticism.  Teams that don’t play it a lot, even if they practice some, don’t magically become good at it.

The coaching staff has no excuse not to expect it or prepare for it, though. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2020, 09:55:20 AM »
This is possible but a good zone will require length and some athleticism.  Teams that don’t play it a lot, even if they practice some, don’t magically become good at it.

The fact that Gard couldn't get 5 seniors, mostly redshirts, to play zone periodically against MU says a lot about him.  MU played Wisconsin's brand of basketball and beat them at it.  Definitely one of the worst coaching jobs ever in by a Wisconsin coach in the series or any coach for that matter. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2020, 10:47:46 AM »
The fact that Gard couldn't get 5 seniors, mostly redshirts, to play zone periodically against MU says a lot about him.  MU played Wisconsin's brand of basketball and beat them at it.  Definitely one of the worst coaching jobs ever in by a Wisconsin coach in the series or any coach for that matter.

This is how every significant Wisconsin game has been coached since 2000. They have a system and stick to it. It's a weakness of being a systems coach...a type of coach you claimed to love!

Actually, great coaching relies on the punch aka "A System" to build your program around.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2020, 10:51:34 AM »
This is how every significant Wisconsin game has been coached since 2000. They have a system and stick to it. It's a weakness of being a systems coach...a type of coach you claimed to love!

Heck, it’s the reason they didn’t beat Kentucky in 03. They refused to double down on Estill.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2020, 11:56:24 AM »

Cold
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2020, 12:15:23 PM »
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2020, 12:24:56 PM »
I might add to this that DJ's trey at the end of the 1st half may have been the biggest shot of the game.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2020, 12:31:51 PM »
I might add to this that DJ's trey at the end of the 1st half may have been the biggest shot of the game.

I do wonder how many times we’ve had the lead at home going into halftime, and then went out and got punched in the mouth the first four minutes of the second half.  It seems to happen quite a bit.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2020, 01:24:07 PM »
Just saying, the day after feeling of a big win is just as good, if not better than the feeling as the night of.

mumi27

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2020, 01:40:23 PM »
Just saying, the day after feeling of a big win is just as good, if not better than the feeling as the night of.

Hard agree. Beating bucky is too good to not enjoy for a week or so

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2020, 02:02:24 PM »

The entire sequence at the end of the half was huge. Down 1, JL hits a quick 3 so we can get a 2-for-1 opportunity, then we get a stop, then DJ hits his 3.

Just like that ... up 5.

Gave us a little cushion to survive our sloppy play and foul-fest early in the 2H. Then Wojo called a good TO and it was a battle the rest of the way.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2020, 02:12:18 PM »

The 2 for 1 was very big. I thought that was a real game changer.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »

Disagree, as I drink my second pedialyte and down Advil it does not feel good.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2020, 03:53:30 PM »

Agree on both points. Opponents might try zoning us, but not many have the length and athleticism of OK State. And if they haven't practiced it until a day or two before playing us, length and athleticism probably won't be enough.

Either way, Wojo better have us prepared just in case.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2020, 10:35:23 PM »
All this on a night where Sam Hauser scored 18, including the last 5 of an OT win for Virginia.  No real point to that comment, just didn't see it mentioned anywhere else
A team with a bad loss already and needed overtime to beat a bad team, SAD!
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2020, 10:44:49 PM »
Just watched the 8-minute Marquette-Madison replay on YT. Fun to re-live it.

Beyond the obvious -- all the great shots, tough D, back-and-forth action, etc -- a couple of things I noticed when watching live that really stood out when watching the replay:

1. DJ needs to get better at using screens. He doesn't take his man close enough to the screener. It looks like the screener hasn't done his job, but it's actually DJ's responsibility there. Will make the pick-and-pop more effective if DJ fixes this.

2. A Wis player (Trice, I think) fired an airball from behind the arc and the ball was headed out of bounds. For some reason, though, Akanno tried to save it. He threw the ball in right under our defensive hoop and Potter got a layup. Never do that, young man!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2020, 10:48:59 PM »

Beyond the obvious -- all the great shots, tough D, back-and-forth action, etc -- a couple of things I noticed when watching live that really stood out when watching the replay:

1. DJ needs to get better at using screens. He doesn't take his man close enough to the screener. It looks like the screener hasn't done his job, but it's actually DJ's responsibility there. Will make the pick-and-pop more effective if DJ fixes this.

2. A Wis player (Trice, I think) fired an airball from behind the arc and the ball was headed out of bounds. For some reason, though, Akanno tried to save it. He threw the ball in right under our defensive hoop and Potter got a layup. Never do that, young man!

#2 didn't stand out to you right away?? Lol. It was a big swing in the first half and had him on the bench for the rest of the game. Brutal mistake.

I think he will bounce back though.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2020, 10:52:14 PM »
#2 didn't stand out to you right away?? Lol. It was a big swing in the first half and had him on the bench for the rest of the game. Brutal mistake.

I think he will bounce back though.

You're right. I was grumbling when it happened. Watching it again ... grrrrr!

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2020, 01:45:27 AM »
MU playing defense for both halves too - non-stop D.  Love it!  Congrats to team and Wojo!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2020, 01:20:25 PM »

1. Yes—I also noticed this. If he doesn’t either use the screen or use it as a decoy, I think we are going to see some cheap Matt Heldt type illegal screens 35’ from the hoop. DJ needs to get closer or JL DG and TJ are going to make a late step to close that gap caused by DJC, and get called.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 07:06:40 PM by We R Final Four »

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2020, 05:53:11 PM »
Don't wanna spend much of this thread talking about the Scum in red but...

Davis is really going to be a real pain in the ass for years. He didn't have the game that JL had but he was really impressive.
I was thinking the same thing when I was watching the game. Kid came off the bench and used his size and skills to provide a spark.   

Viper

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2020, 08:31:00 PM »
How I feel tonight ....

February, 1974. Milwaukee Arena. Marquette coach Al McGuire leaps on top of the scorer's table and celebrates after Maurice Lucas hit a ridiculous last second jump shot to give the Warriors a one point victory over Wisconsin. In the stands almost directly opposite McGuire is Glenn Hughes, father of Kim and Kerry Hughes, Wisconsin's "Twin Towers of Power". Walking in the foreground is dejected Badger Coach, John Powless. Marquette went on to the NCAA tournament and finished second overall. Hank Raymond's reaction is priceless too.

Notice Mr. Hughes "salute" to Mr. McGuire.  Anytime you can get Bucky fans this upset, you have my utmost respect.

Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.