[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hauser Brothers Post MU Thread  (Read 153671 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Hauser Brothers 2021-22 Thread
« Reply #700 on: November 10, 2021, 11:31:20 AM »
Tower-

I've seen tons of D1 prospects come through the WI HS basketball ranks.  I compare where Joey was in high school to other players when they were in HS.

Then I compare how those players performed in college versus how Joey is performing.  The college versions of Sam Dekker, Markus Landry, Sam Hauser, Henry Ellenson, and Jeronne Maymon had the speed and athleticism I expected based on their HS performances.

But Joey didn't.  That's my observation.

The difference in Sam and Joey to me is anticipation. Sam has a 6th sense based up his intuition to overcome his footspeed. Joey never had that, and it shows at the top level he is now playing at. Sam could cheat to a spot, Joey is always behind. It doesn’t mean that Sam didn’t get abused on ISO’s.

I will rely on your expert assessment based on watching him in high school, but on his mix tapes, he never appeared fast to me. Him playing high school football didn’t seem the brightest thing in retrospect, I guess.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #701 on: November 10, 2021, 11:52:58 AM »
When Sam really emerged as a sophomore at Marquette and Wojo was going after Joey, I asked those who had seen a lot of Joey something along the lines of: "Is Joey really better than Sam? Because if so, he must be one hell of a player."

Many folks chimed in that Joey was bigger, handled the ball better, passed better, just had better all-around offensive skills, etc.

Obviously, we've never seen that at the college level. So either Joey's injury before he started playing college ball was worse than everybody thought, or he was overrated, or Sam was underrated, or some combination of the above.

I like what Dr. B says about the difference in Sam and Joey. Sam is far superior from a basketball-IQ standpoint. He's also been very good at making the very most out of the ability he has. Almost surely harder-working, too. Sam turned himself into a historically good shooter, as well. Joey mostly regressed. It would be easy to blame the Marquette coaching staff ... except he's even worse now at Michigan State.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #702 on: November 10, 2021, 12:17:58 PM »
Sam is averaging 22 PPG and 7 rebounds  in the G League with 55 percent from 3, 11 for 20.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #703 on: November 10, 2021, 12:34:54 PM »
Sam is averaging 22 PPG and 7 rebounds  in the G League with 55 percent from 3, 11 for 20.

G League is to get guys ready for the show. They know how to play to Sam's strengths. And obviously, the biggest strength has always been shooting the ball.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #704 on: November 10, 2021, 12:40:41 PM »

I’m not sure it means much. Vander Blue is the second all time leader scorer in the G League.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #705 on: November 10, 2021, 01:23:50 PM »
Tower-

I've seen tons of D1 prospects come through the WI HS basketball ranks.  I compare where Joey was in high school to other players when they were in HS.

Then I compare how those players performed in college versus how Joey is performing.  The college versions of Sam Dekker, Markus Landry, Sam Hauser, Henry Ellenson, and Jeronne Maymon had the speed and athleticism I expected based on their HS performances.

But Joey didn't.  That's my observation.

Agreed.  Joey was skilled.  He was never super-athletic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #706 on: November 10, 2021, 02:22:58 PM »
I’m not sure it means much. Vander Blue is the second all time leader scorer in the G League.

Sam will play in a lot more more NBA games than Vander did or will. A lot more. He is elite at the one skill that every NBA team is desperate for.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #707 on: November 10, 2021, 02:55:02 PM »

Really a bad sign for Joey....,

In The Athletic today, there was an article about the KU-MSU matchups and the pro prospects from each team. Joey's name did not appear in the article.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #708 on: November 10, 2021, 03:02:13 PM »
Sam will play in a lot more more NBA games than Vander did or will. A lot more. He is elite at the one skill that every NBA team is desperate for.

Would not disagree with you there. I have no ill will towards Sam and hope he gets a chance.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #709 on: November 10, 2021, 03:09:19 PM »

Skilled, good size, and at the HS level, that bigger guy who can go inside outside really covers up a lot of deficits.

But get to college, thats no longer unique.  He's slow of foot, doesn't seem to have a great work ethic given how little he's progressed, if at all, and he's immature

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #710 on: November 10, 2021, 03:21:15 PM »
Skilled, good size, and at the HS level, that bigger guy who can go inside outside really covers up a lot of deficits.

But get to college, thats no longer unique.  He's slow of foot, doesn't seem to have a great work ethic given how little he's progressed, if at all, and he's immature

I've said it before, but it is difficult to get someone to work hard at something that they've never had to work hard because they've always been better at it than everyone they knew.

Unfortunately, the world is a big place, and there will always be someone better.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #711 on: November 10, 2021, 04:24:16 PM »
I've said it before, but it is difficult to get someone to work hard at something that they've never had to work hard because they've always been better at it than everyone they knew.

Unfortunately, the world is a big place, and there will always be someone better.

But doesn't that happen all the time?

Aren't most 5-star and 4-star recruits (and hell, lots of 3-stars and 2-stars, too) the best player on their teams and even in their leagues when they're in high school? Don't the ones who turn out to be good in college get that way in part because they're willing to work hard, even if they never really had to work that hard in high school?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #712 on: November 10, 2021, 04:34:59 PM »

Aren't most 5-star and 4-star recruits (and hell, lots of 3-stars and 2-stars, too) the best player on their teams and even in their leagues when they're in high school? Don't the ones who turn out to be good in college get that way in part because they're willing to work hard, even if they never really had to work that hard in high school?

I would also note that the great majority of these kids (top recruits) play more AAU games than high school games, and in those they can't always count on being by far the best guy on the floor ... or even their own team.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #713 on: November 10, 2021, 04:43:54 PM »

It depends.  Very few of those exceptional recruits continue progressing without the work ethic and that starts young.  People often don't realize it.  I remember when they talked about Tebow was going to be an NFL success cause he "worked so much harder" in some silly statement overlooking the fact that even the best athletes still bust their ass from HS on.

My best friend in college was a FB player.  Freakish athlete.  All State safety, All conference WR.  Best player on every team he played except his HS team cause he played with his older brother who played a few years in the NFL.  It all came easy to him.  He did what he had to, but he didn't have some insane work ethic.  He was pretty open about saying he'd rather play basketball than football.  He was an all conference BB player, but there weren't many D1 offers for a 6'2 SF.

In college, he wasn't lazy, he was a good student, did what he had to football and lifting wise, but just kind of coasted.  Never was a significant minute gettor even as a RS Senior.  He stayed every summer on campus, but just lifted and hung out.  Meanwhile, his brother was insane, driven, went back to Michigan for a month each summer to train with some guys he knew that played at UM and MSU.  Lifted so much his coaches had to tell him to chill (he set combine records for a time).  Always kept getting better.  But my buddy never had to go 150%, cause his 80/90/100% was good enough and once he was in college, he was fine just being on the team and figuring his life out after.

So either you have the "im gonna do whatever it takes" even if you're killing fools at lower levels, cause you have your eye to the future.  Or you don't.  Same as being a good student.  You can get good grades without having to study in middle or HS, but then college is a bleak reality if you never learned how to study and its hard AF to learn at that point.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #714 on: November 10, 2021, 04:46:53 PM »
It depends.  Very few of those exceptional recruits continue progressing without the work ethic and that starts young.  People often don't realize it.  I remember when they talked about Tebow was going to be an NFL success cause he "worked so much harder" in some silly statement overlooking the fact that even the best athletes still bust their ass from HS on.

My best friend in college was a FB player.  Freakish athlete.  All State safety, All conference WR.  Best player on every team he played except his HS team cause he played with his older brother who played a few years in the NFL.  It all came easy to him.  He did what he had to, but he didn't have some insane work ethic.  He was pretty open about saying he'd rather play basketball than football.  He was an all conference BB player, but there weren't many D1 offers for a 6'2 SF.

In college, he wasn't lazy, he was a good student, did what he had to football and lifting wise, but just kind of coasted.  Never was a significant minute gettor even as a RS Senior.  He stayed every summer on campus, but just lifted and hung out.  Meanwhile, his brother was insane, driven, went back to Michigan for a month each summer to train with some guys he knew that played at UM and MSU.  Lifted so much his coaches had to tell him to chill (he set combine records for a time).  Always kept getting better.  But my buddy never had to go 150%, cause his 80/90/100% was good enough and once he was in college, he was fine just being on the team and figuring his life out after.

So either you have the "im gonna do whatever it takes" even if you're killing fools at lower levels, cause you have your eye to the future.  Or you don't.  Same as being a good student.  You can get good grades without having to study in middle or HS, but then college is a bleak reality if you never learned how to study and its hard AF to learn at that point.

100% all of this.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #715 on: November 10, 2021, 05:37:34 PM »

I'm sure all that you describe here is true in many cases. But it would be very unfair to assume that for every high school star - or even a majority - who doesn't progress on the next level, it's a result of them not working hard enough or not wanting it enough.
For all sorts of reasons, everybody has a different athletic ceiling and they reach it on a different schedule. Some kids hit that ceiling at 17, and other kids passing them by after that isn't a reflection of their character. It's more likely a reflection of their genes and uniqueness.
We make the same mistake the other way, fwiw. When some small school kid who was lightly recruited out of high school develops into a star, we marvel over their hard work and dedication, when in reality they hit their peak a little later than their peer group, and they didn't just catch up in college, they zoomed on by,

MU82

• All American
« Reply #716 on: November 10, 2021, 10:30:52 PM »

Agree with most of this.

I'm sure all that you describe here is true in many cases. But it would be very unfair to assume that for every high school star - or even a majority - who doesn't progress on the next level, it's a result of them not working hard enough or not wanting it enough.
For all sorts of reasons, everybody has a different athletic ceiling and they reach it on a different schedule. Some kids hit that ceiling at 17, and other kids passing them by after that isn't a reflection of their character. It's more likely a reflection of their genes and uniqueness.
We make the same mistake the other way, fwiw. When some small school kid who was lightly recruited out of high school develops into a star, we marvel over their hard work and dedication, when in reality they hit their peak a little later than their peer group, and they didn't just catch up in college, they zoomed on by,

Agree with this, too.

As is the case with most things, it's more complex than just saying something happened (or didn't happen) because of this one or two things.

I stand by my belief that most athletes who go on to greatness have worked very, very hard to get there. I certainly never meant to imply that those who failed to achieve greatness didn't work hard.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #717 on: November 10, 2021, 10:44:56 PM »
I'm not saying Joey Hauser was ever a great athlete, but on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say he was a 6 before the ankle injury.

After the ankle injury, he looks like a 3. Just no lateral or vertical explosion whatsoever.

I agree with Dr. B's assessment of Sam Hauser. Sam has a great basketball IQ and maximizes his average athleticism (5 out of 10).  Joey doesn't have the same sense of positioning and anticipation,  adding to his defensive struggles.

For all the hype Joey had, he's certainly underachieved.  Like others have said, maybe he lacks the drive to be great.  Sam and Joey had similar freshman stats, but Sam became an all conference performer as an upperclassman.  Joey isn't close to that level.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #718 on: November 11, 2021, 10:09:17 AM »
I'm not saying Joey Hauser was ever a great athlete, but on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say he was a 6 before the ankle injury.

After the ankle injury, he looks like a 3. Just no lateral or vertical explosion whatsoever.

I agree with Dr. B's assessment of Sam Hauser. Sam has a great basketball IQ and maximizes his average athleticism (5 out of 10).  Joey doesn't have the same sense of positioning and anticipation,  adding to his defensive struggles.

For all the hype Joey had, he's certainly underachieved.  Like others have said, maybe he lacks the drive to be great.  Sam and Joey had similar freshman stats, but Sam became an all conference performer as an upperclassman.  Joey isn't close to that level.

Sam was also robbed of being some type of all conference as a sophomore. If we'd finished as a tournament team they all would've been given higher accolades
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #719 on: November 13, 2021, 09:55:55 PM »
Joey had 12 and 12 against Western Michigan Friday . Slowly working his way out of Izzos dog house .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #720 on: November 17, 2021, 07:18:10 PM »
Joey having a tough game against Butler
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #721 on: November 17, 2021, 07:23:23 PM »
Having paralyzing flashbacks of being there with Markus?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #722 on: November 17, 2021, 07:50:33 PM »
Having paralyzing flashbacks of being there with Markus "the cancer"?

FIFY

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American