'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Is this Wojo's best TEAM?  (Read 10313 times)

1SE

• All American
Is this Wojo's best TEAM?
« on: November 26, 2020, 04:26:23 AM »
It was APB - we're not going to look that good every night. But even before getting to see the product on the court I really liked it on paper.

There have definitely been better players on Wojo's watch, but is this the best overall TEAM? There are just so many pieces that I love.

Theo - a MAN's body. Senior leadership. A beast in the paint. Maybe learning how to play within himself? Who knew being able to use two hands would matter.

DJ - a true PG. 'nough said.

Dawson - a super-stretch 4. A Steve Novak that can get to the rim and defend.

Jose - Another man's body in a wing.

Quality senior leadership and offensive spark in Koby and Jamal - on any given night either could pop for 20.

Quality depth at almost all positions - Greg, Symir, Oso, Justin

I just can't think of any piece that is missing from this team. I think it's the best top to bottom team we've seen in Wojo's tenure.

It will be a major shame if we don't see how far this team and develop/go. It will also be a major indictment if Wojo can't make this team more than the sum of its parts. This is the year to do it.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Is this Wojo's best TEAM?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 04:58:51 AM »
I'm reserving judgment until at least after Tuesday.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 05:13:25 AM »
It was APB - we're not going to look that good every night. But even before getting to see the product on the court I really liked it on paper.

There have definitely been better players on Wojo's watch, but is this the best overall TEAM? There are just so many pieces that I love.

Theo - a MAN's body. Senior leadership. A beast in the paint. Maybe learning how to play within himself? Who knew being able to use two hands would matter.

DJ - a true PG. 'nough said.

Dawson - a super-stretch 4. A Steve Novak that can get to the rim and defend.

Jose - Another man's body in a wing.

Quality senior leadership and offensive spark in Koby and Jamal - on any given night either could pop for 20.

Quality depth at almost all positions - Greg, Symir, Oso, Justin

I just can't think of any piece that is missing from this team. I think it's the best top to bottom team we've seen in Wojo's tenure.

It will be a major shame if we don't see how far this team and develop/go. It will also be a major indictment if Wojo can't make this team more than the sum of its parts. This is the year to do it.
[/quote

Don’t forget about the legend of Dexter

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 06:14:44 AM »
Agree, that this is Wojo's most talented team loaded across the board with players who can compete. Foul trouble will not be an issue this year. The depth should allow for a super aggressive defense. Also hope this team fast breaks a lot.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 06:45:41 AM »
Back up post against a good team.   It was Arkansas Pine-Bluff.   Beware the 'Magic Dawson' talk.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 08:01:29 AM »
It’s the first team he’s truly in charge of.

‘15 was Buzz’s guys
‘16 was Henry
‘17-‘20 Markus

This is now Wojo time.  Everything he’s learned he can now implement. Everything he’s wanted to adjust he can.  He’s free.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 08:25:05 AM »
You've got some good points, but lets see how they do against teams in the top 350. Dealing with six newbies and there will be some bumps.  The question is, if they do outperform expectations how much of the credit goes to Wojo? And, conversely, if they tank, how much is on him?

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 08:25:17 AM »
It’s the first team he’s truly in charge of.

‘15 was Buzz’s guys
‘16 was Henry
‘17-‘20 Markus

This is now Wojo time.  Everything he’s learned he can now implement. Everything he’s wanted to adjust he can.  He’s free.

So a grown man who has been coach for 7 years can finally lead his team?  Then MU should have let him learn his trade somewhere else.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 08:31:05 AM by Badgerhater »

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 08:35:35 AM »
As I was watching the game last night, I was thinking the same thing.  This might be Wojo's best and complete team.  In year's prior, he had to build the offense around one guy (Henry, Markus).  He now has multiple options on offense.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 08:37:31 AM »
We'll see.

We'll know a ton more in a month. Right now, we only know that we are twice as good as APB and have a lot of potential.

If we're able to actually play all (or at least most) of our games, ask again at about 9 p.m. on Dec. 23.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 08:45:46 AM »
I loved the passing but seriously, it was Arkansas Pine-Bluff. Let's see how we do against a team not ranked #353 by KenPom.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 09:08:32 AM »
I loved the passing but seriously, it was Arkansas Pine-Bluff. Let's see how we do against a team not ranked #353 by KenPom.
A whole lot of 'Magic Dawson vs Grambling' vibe.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 09:09:50 AM »
A whole lot of 'Magic Dawson vs Grambling' vibe.

Yep. Love the optimism but...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 09:12:06 AM »
Naw. Could not even put up 100 pts yesterday. Very overrated.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 09:22:31 AM »
We had a pretty good "team" in 2016-17.

Ellenson was gone and Markus was not yet MARKUS!

Five guys averaged between 10.8 and 13.2 ppg, and seven guys averaged at least 8.7. Those same seven guys averaged between 6.3 and 9.3 FGA.

We didn't play very good D, we were too young in a few spots, and we got an unfortunate NCAA assignment -- a very good (eventual FF) SCaro team in Greenville -- but the guys got along and played well together. And Wojo, in Year 3, seemed to have the program on a very good trajectory.

This season's team has the potential to be quite a bit better in all facets.

We'll see.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 09:35:20 AM »
I will say it looks like a Big East team.  Big guards, length and athleticism in the frontcourt, only 3 skinny players, and only one slow player (Perez).

The only thing missing is a true knockdown shooter.  But very good passing and hopefully enough outside shooting to get it done.

Now, can they do it against better competition?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 09:38:37 AM »
I will say it looks like a Big East team.  Big guards, length and athleticism in the frontcourt, only 3 skinny players, and only one slow player (Perez).

The only thing missing is a true knockdown shooter.  But very good passing and hopefully enough outside shooting to get it done.

Now, can they do it against better competition?

I’d like to see how they do against a man to man defense too. Not yet sold on their quickness.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2020, 09:39:10 AM »
It’s nice to see some enthusiasm on Scoop but let’s pump the brakes. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2020, 09:43:05 AM »
Talent wise probably not, but I think this team will have the best chemistry of any Wojo team. Lots of unselfish players and great depth so I expect them to get better as the season progresses which hasn’t happened under Wojo the last few years.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 10:15:13 AM »
I’d like to see how they do against a man to man defense too. Not yet sold on their quickness.

Carton has elite speed.  Torrence has good speed.

McEwen has average speed in the Joe Chapman mold.

Elliott needs to get healthy to see if he regains his quickness.

John and Lewis have good enough speed for their size.  Garcia's skill level is high enough that he doesn't need elite quickness.

Cain is quick enough as long as he isn't dribbling.

Perez is the only one that looks overmatched athletically.  But he's strong and smart.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 10:24:21 AM »
We just gonna ignore the fact that the OP compared Dawson, who is a very polished Freshman, to one of the greatest pure shooters in program history?  I think Dawson will be a very good player, but he aint no Novak shooting-wise.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2020, 10:26:16 AM »
I get the optimism because it was such a decisive opener. The only better opening performance we've seen from a Wojo team was 2016-17 when we drilled Vanderbilt at the Naval Academy. But while we held them to 0.75 ppp, this is a team that had an adjusted offensive efficiency of 79.0 last year, which was the worst out of any team of the past 5 years (more than 1,700 teams). Eastern Illinois and Oklahoma State will be far better barometers of how good we are. Plenty of mediocre Marquette teams have drilled inferior competition. Alabama A&M in 2014-15, Grambling in 2015-16, American in 2017-18 were all resounding wins over teams that were simply overmatched, but it didn't get Marquette a NCAA bid.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 10:28:22 AM »
Cautiously optimistic.  Let’s see how they play against Eastern Illinois who lost by ten to the badgers.  Blow the doors off them like apb and I start to get more optimistic for that badger game.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2020, 10:34:01 AM »
Carton has elite speed.  Torrence has good speed.

McEwen has average speed in the Joe Chapman mold.

Elliott needs to get healthy to see if he regains his quickness.

John and Lewis have good enough speed for their size.  Garcia's skill level is high enough that he doesn't need elite quickness.

Cain is quick enough as long as he isn't dribbling.

Perez is the only one that looks overmatched athletically.  But he's strong and smart.

Yeah said I wasn’t sold on their speed.

You telling me they’re speedy isn’t going to do it for me either.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2020, 10:53:19 AM »
I think this is probably the most well rounded team and probably the most depth.

But considering a lot of it is inexperience(at MU and overall) that definitely does not mean its the best, yet.

I am with everyone else and saying yesterdays game was against a team so bad you cant judge yet.

Win solidly tomorrow, beat Okstate and at least hang with Bucky. That'll say a lot.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

feedback