[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

What will Markus achieve in the NBA?

He'll never see a minute of PT
21 (7.6%)
He'll get a cup of coffee, see some junk minutes this year, and move on
110 (40%)
He'll be on a roster most years, but stuck on the end of the bench.
85 (30.9%)
He'll become a solid role player with an extended career
56 (20.4%)
Dwyane who? Markus is the GOAT.
3 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 275

Author Topic: Markus' NBA success  (Read 56665 times)

1SE

• All American
Markus' NBA success
« on: November 19, 2020, 07:36:43 AM »
Unfortunately COVID stole our opportunity to assess Markus' ultimate MU legacy. While looking unlikely, a deep NCAA run would likely have moved him up the echelons of many of our MU hall of fames. Now we can only endlessly debate.

But turning to the future, Markus will at least see an NBA training camp. How far do you think he'll go?

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Markus' NBA success
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 07:42:06 AM »
I think Marcus will have a career similar to Jerel McNeal.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 08:03:14 AM »
I think he will have a Dana Barros type NBA career

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 08:13:55 AM »
Don't know how many guards Denver keeps on their roster, but it will certainly be an uphill battle for the end of a bench role.

Jamal Murray, Gary Harris, Monte Morris and #1 pick RJ Hampton in front of him, along with Troy Daniels and PJ Dozier who may or not be salary dumps. Probably a G League position, that's even if a G League is in existence this year. 

Would be interesting to hear his take on the Denver signing, how enthusiastic Denver was, etc. and what other teams contacted him.  Wish him the best.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 08:18:21 AM »
Michael Porter Jr. is essentially Markus Howard in a bigger body.  Makes sense as to why the Nuggets GM would take a flyer. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 08:20:06 AM »
Didn't see this thread before I put this in the NBA draft thread ...

Every undrafted player -- and most second-rounders, and a good number of first-rounders -- will find it difficult to get a serious look in the NBA.

Markus is little and limited, but he has one proven skill that is highly valued. I certainly wouldn't bet against him getting some opportunities this season. As wades said, just the COVID-19 situation alone suggests that the Nuggets probably will need to add several players to the bottom of their roster on numerous occasions.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 08:28:48 AM »
Michael Porter Jr. is essentially Markus Howard in a bigger body.  Makes sense as to why the Nuggets GM would take a flyer.

Markus's game is nothing like Michael Porter Jr.'s.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 08:31:45 AM »
Markus's game is nothing like Michael Porter Jr.'s.

They're both scorers with significant flaws. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 08:47:02 AM »
I think Marcus will have a career similar to Jerel McNeal.

Do you not understand what a 2-way contract is/entails? McNeal had a 10 contract with the Suns in his late 20s.

Frank Mason was on a 2 way with the Bucks this year and played in 10 games. Tyler Cook was a 2 way with the Nuggets and played 13.

Markus will have a more significant NBA career than McNeal in this year alone.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 08:52:26 AM »
Do you not understand what a 2-way contract is/entails? McNeal had a 10 contract with the Suns in his late 20s.

Frank Mason was on a 2 way with the Bucks this year and played in 10 games. Tyler Cook was a 2 way with the Nuggets and played 13.

Markus will make a little over $300,000 this year as a two way player. The two Two way players on each team occupy the 16th and 17th spots on the NBA roster. They get paid for 45 days on the NBA roster and the rest of the days on the G League. Practicing with the NBA team counts as a day.

Markus now has to make the most of his opportunity.  When Vander finally got his big chance a few years ago with the Lakers it did not work out. When Dwight Buycks got his chance on the Two Way, he played well and the Pistons extended his contract for the rest of the year, unfortunately there was a coaching change the next year  and he was the odd man out.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 08:57:03 AM »

Just to be a stickler McNeal's had a few 10 day contracts, I believe three teams but only got playing time with the Suns IIRC
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 09:05:30 AM »
Just to be a stickler McNeal's had a few 10 day contracts, I believe three teams but only got playing time with the Suns IIRC

Yea the Hornets and the Clippers I believe, but he didn’t play in a game for anyone other than the Suns is more what I meant.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 09:08:53 AM »
Yea the Hornets and the Clippers I believe, but he didn’t play in a game for anyone other than the Suns is more what I meant.
If I remember correctly there may have been some injuries involved with Jerel.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 09:14:50 AM »

Haha, do you understand how 2-ways work? You're making a big assumption that Markus will be called up at all.

Jerel was on all-D-league teams and was a d-league all-star. We'll see if Markus gets there.

Especially this year with a compressed NBA schedule there is not much time for rookies to get into the swing of the regular season before the playoffs hit. I doubt many 1st or 2nd rounders get playing time on contenders.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 09:22:14 AM »
Markus will make a little over $300,000 this year as a two way player. The two Two way players on each team occupy the 16th and 17th spots on the NBA roster. They get paid for 45 days on the NBA roster and the rest of the days on the G League. Practicing with the NBA team counts as a day.

Markus now has to make the most of his opportunity.  When Vander finally got his big chance a few years ago with the Lakers it did not work out. When Dwight Buycks got his chance on the Two Way, he played well and the Pistons extended his contract for the rest of the year, unfortunately there was a coaching change the next year  and he was the odd man out.
According to the article in one of the other threads:
Players on two-way contracts are generally allowed only 45 days in the NBA. However, due to the nature of the upcoming season, the NBA has relaxed its rules. There’s no 45-day service limit for two-way players this year. Instead, the NBA said in a recent memo that two-way players can’t be on the active list for more than 50 games.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 09:27:16 AM »
According to the article in one of the other threads:
Players on two-way contracts are generally allowed only 45 days in the NBA. However, due to the nature of the upcoming season, the NBA has relaxed its rules. There’s no 45-day service limit for two-way players this year. Instead, the NBA said in a recent memo that two-way players can’t be on the active list for more than 50 games.
That is good news, so Markus and the rest of the two way players will make a little more coin.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 10:11:15 AM »
It will be interesting. Wes and Jimmy found success early by being good defenders and then their offensive games developed quickly the next few years.

Markus is going to have to shoot really well early and play good enough defense to not be too big a liability. Based on how his defense improved at MU, I have no doubts in an NBA system with NBA coaching he will improve on defense. However, the line is so thin between a Jerel/Vander career and Wes Matthews that luck and situation plays such a huge role. I think Wes greatly benefitted from playing for Jerry Sloan.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 10:19:18 AM »
I see Europe in Markus' intermediate-term future.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 10:21:46 AM »
Markus really improved as an on-ball defender, though his size limitations will be big hurdle on that end.

What will limit his PT is his inability to run an offense and create for others.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 10:22:49 AM »
Haha, do you understand how 2-ways work? You're making a big assumption that Markus will be called up at all.

Jerel was on all-D-league teams and was a d-league all-star. We'll see if Markus gets there.

Especially this year with a compressed NBA schedule there is not much time for rookies to get into the swing of the regular season before the playoffs hit. I doubt many 1st or 2nd rounders get playing time on contenders.

“Big assumption”...keep doubling down on lack of knowledge my man. Across the league, how many 2 way players were not called up/saw no game time last year?...1, Cameron Reynolds from the Bucks. Don’t confuse this situation with someone just playing for a team’s G-League affiliate. Two way contracts are specifically to give players limited NBA run while they get reps in the G League. Provided you start the season with the team and don’t get cut from your two way in camp (cough cough Bronson Koenig cough cough), you have a far better chance of having your 2 way converted to a standard NBA deal than not getting called up or playing at all. And that was before COVID.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 10:40:01 AM »
Jeremy Lin.  I think after a couple of years of a few short runs with a little bit of time, MH will have a break-out along the lines of Jeremy Lin.  He will be a national sensation for a few weeks, and then...I dunno.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 11:37:25 AM »
“Big assumption”...keep doubling down on lack of knowledge my man. Across the league, how many 2 way players were not called up/saw no game time last year?...1, Cameron Reynolds from the Bucks. Don’t confuse this situation with someone just playing for a team’s G-League affiliate. Two way contracts are specifically to give players limited NBA run while they get reps in the G League. Provided you start the season with the team and don’t get cut from your two way in camp (cough cough Bronson Koenig cough cough), you have a far better chance of having your 2 way converted to a standard NBA deal than not getting called up or playing at all. And that was before COVID.

Loved seeing Vander Blue in all those Laker games, eh? Your homer is showing.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 11:44:30 AM »
Jeremy Lin.  I think after a couple of years of a few short runs with a little bit of time, MH will have a break-out along the lines of Jeremy Lin.  He will be a national sensation for a few weeks, and then...I dunno.

Jeremy Lin is 6'3.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2020, 11:46:15 AM »
The other nice feature of these contracts is you NBA pay  for days you practice with the NBA team. The problem some Two Way players run into is that they use all the days and if their team does not want to convert them they get. That is what happened to Jamil.  Of course in the case of Buycks he got his contract converted.

Vander blew through all his days practicing with the team, and got very few actual games and limited minutes in the games he did play in. It seemed at the time, the Two Way was a reward for Vander's loyalty to the Lakers over several years. It has been well documented that Vander turned down good foreign money several times in pursuit of his NBA dream.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 11:47:13 AM »
Loved seeing Vander Blue in all those Laker games, eh? Your homer is showing.

Stop moving the goalpost. First it was a career like McNeal. Then it’s a “big assumption” that he even gets called up to an NBA roster. Now it’s saying it’s will just be meaningless games like Vander...

There is no homer. I never said he would have a long and illustrious NBA career. I said he’s in a good situation and will get a shot with some actual NBA game time this year.  He’s not fighting for a chance in Summer League, he’s not added as a emergency stop gap mid season. For someone who does not get drafted, being a 2 way player on a good team with a coach who values young talent (like Mike Malone) is a great situation.

He may end up playing for a high level European team by his mid 20s like Shane Larkin who actually was a first round pick, but he’s already got a leg up on McNeal and will play more NBA games his rookie season than McNeal did his whole career, that’s just the situation.  And he’s already in a far better position NBA wise than Vander was at that age.