Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Per Jon Rothstien - Five Teams That Could Overachieve  (Read 5966 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Per Jon Rothstien - Five Teams That Could Overachieve
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 05:27:17 PM »
All 10 kids on scholarship can play, how Wojo figures out how to use them, will decide how good they will be.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 06:13:43 PM »
Could? Sure.

Unlikely though.

Wojo has yet to demonstrate an ability to make a team greater than the sum of its parts.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 06:23:02 PM »
Could? Sure.

Unlikely though.

Wojo has yet to demonstrate an ability to make a team greater than the sum of its parts.

I think that’s kind of his point. The parts are being underrated.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 07:27:37 PM »
Everyone blames Wojo for epic collapses after reaching the Top 10/15 without ever giving him any credit for actually getting to the Top 10/15.

So maybe he isn't as bad as everyone wants him to be.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 07:30:15 PM »
I think that’s kind of his point. The parts are being underrated.
I think that was kind of his point. Wojo doesn't make the parts up to their potential.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 07:53:48 PM »
I think that was kind of his point. Wojo doesn't make the parts up to their potential.
Exactly. Back-to-back season ending flameouts support your assessment.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 08:13:10 PM »
Everyone blames Wojo for epic collapses after reaching the Top 10/15 without ever giving him any credit for actually getting to the Top 10/15.

And then he repeated the collapse and showed no proof that’s he’s able to learn from his past
Bring back FFP!!!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 08:21:31 PM »
I would say that Wojo teams live up to their level but rarely rise significantly above it. They have generally performed to pre-season KenPom with one notable exception. (When Henry was a freshman.). Last year wasn’t great either but of course the season wasn’t complete.

2019-20: Preseason: 17, Final: 31
2018-19: Preseason: 29, Final: 33
2017-18: Preseason: 49, Final: 53
2016-17: Preseason: 47, Final: 32
2015-16: Preseason: 54, Final: 97
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 08:28:39 PM »
Overachieving would be nice.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 10:25:28 PM »
I would say that Wojo teams live up to their level but rarely rise significantly above it. They have generally performed to pre-season KenPom with one notable exception. (When Henry was a freshman.). Last year wasn’t great either but of course the season wasn’t complete.

2019-20: Preseason: 17, Final: 31
2018-19: Preseason: 29, Final: 33
2017-18: Preseason: 49, Final: 53
2016-17: Preseason: 47, Final: 32
2015-16: Preseason: 54, Final: 97
Not good for a program like MU. Zero top 30 finishes. Uhg!

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 01:07:34 AM »

No one actually wants him to be bad.  They just think he is a bad or at the very most average. Everyone would love to be proven wrong.  Despite Markus Howard, MU is only relevant to hard core college basketball fans because we’ve had several entertaining regular season wins and haven’t been a complete doormat.  No casual fan thinks we are relevant right now.  Until Wojo coaches the boys up for once this pattern of irrelevance will continue and many MU fans will want him fired.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 07:21:31 AM »
Overachieving would be nice.

That would be nice.  The only season where he has really surprised was 2016-17, which ended in a first round loss, but you still felt the future was bright with Sam and Markus as freshmen.

But it ever really went anywhere after that.

Ultimately he is a decent (but not great) recruiter and a C-level bench coach.  Good enough to get into the dance many years, but not really go anywhere.

So could he overachieve this year?  Sure.  But it would look at lot like 2016-17, which would be fine, but he would need to build from that.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:23:27 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 07:42:33 AM »

That would be nice.  The only season where he has really surprised was 2016-17, which ended in a first round loss, but you still felt the future was bright with Sam and Markus as freshmen.

But it ever really went anywhere after that.

Ultimately he is a decent (but not great) recruiter and a C-level bench coach.  Good enough to get into the dance many years, but not really go anywhere.

So could he overachieve this year?  Sure.  But it would look at lot like 2016-17, which would be fine, but he would need to build from that.

Brother Fluff:

I agree wholeheartedly with you. And the 2016-2017 team made the tournament in no small measure because of one game — the upset of Villanova. Had we lost that game, we’d have been an NIT team for sure.

Objectively, this year’s team with Carton, Garcia, Fields Lewis and Koby has the makings of a very good team. If Theo stays out of foul trouble, we have something really cool. But to get the freshmen ready and to coach up Akanno is going to take a lot of work as is getting the most we can from Cain and Greg.

Whether Projo or Nojo, this is really the year when either things start to come together or we may not be relevant in the college basketball circle for a long time to come.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 08:13:52 AM by dgies9156 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 08:05:46 AM »
Brother Fluff:

I agree wholeheartedly with you. And the 2016-2017 team made the tournament in no small measure because of one game — the upset of Villanova. Had we lost that game, we’d have been an NIT team for sure.

Objectively, this year’s team with Carton, Garcia, Fields and Koby has the makings of a very good team. If Theo stays out of foul trouble, we have something really cool. But to get the freshmen ready and to coach up Akanno is going to take a lot of work as is getting the most we can from Cain and Greg.

Whether Projo or Nojo, this is really the year when either things start to come together or we may not be relevant in the college basketball circle for a long time to come.

I'm really looking forward to this Fields guy.  I've heard his name mentioned here a number of times, but can't find much on him.  Hoping he can be the diamond in the rough we've been missing out on by not using our last 2 scholarships on flyers!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 08:12:42 AM »
Yea, there's no faster way to convince me that you have no clue what you're talking about than when you don't know the names of players, especially considering that this has happened multiple times now.  Guess this is just the new "It's Markus, not Marcus".

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 08:14:15 AM »
Love ya too DJ!

Eye

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 08:40:31 AM »
I'll believe MU overachieves under Wojo again the next time they overachieve. Been burned too much the last three years (and they did overachieve in '17 IMHO).
GO WARRIORS!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2020, 09:30:36 AM »
Looking forward to cheering on our guys this season.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 10:26:31 AM »
Looking forward to cheering on our guys this season.

We Are Marquette!
AGREED! We can all get behind this.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2020, 10:46:10 AM »
Is it a uniquely Marquette fan thing to b*tch when a national writer says something slightly positive about the team, or does it happen everywhere?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2020, 10:48:01 AM »
Is it a uniquely Marquette fan thing to b*tch when a national writer says something slightly positive about the team, or does it happen everywhere?

It happens a lot of places but is definitely quite loud here
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2020, 11:13:42 AM »

They will b*tch enough that multiple podcasts have running jokes about Marquette fans never being satisfied with where you have them ranked/the attention you give them, but then when someone says something positive they b*tch about there being no chance we actually achieve what the writer says.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2020, 11:50:25 AM »

Which is why he thinks Marquette will overachieve?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback