[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Update on Sam Hauser  (Read 11801 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Update on Sam Hauser
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2020, 11:30:05 AM »
You're changing what you said.  You called Howard a chucker.  You called, literally, the best shooter in college basketball a chucker.

Look up his eFG%, look up his value add.  If you want to place blame about the Hausers leaving, then it rests on their shoulders.  Marcus was always going to shoot.  Sam knew it, and it pulled heat off him so he could shoot too.  If Joe thought there were going to be three balls on the court so each of them could shoot then that is on him.  In addition to being one of the all time greats at Marquette, Marcus is a fantastic ambassador and an exemplary student athlete.  I'll take Marcus over Joey Hauser every day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

Does the blame lay with Wojo for not surrounding Howard with more talent?  Yup.  But the Hauser's were out for themselves.   And as Pakuni said, that's fine and I don't blame them.

^Markus
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2020, 11:31:26 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2020, 02:47:23 PM »
You're deluding yourself here. As noted already, the Hausers didn't leave because they wanted more opportunities for Ed Morrow and Theo John. The Hausers left because they wanted what they believed would be better for themselves. The timing of their decision makes this evident. It was 100 percent about Markus and no one else.
Why this is some controversy confuses me. I'll never bash a kid who wants to maximize his limited chance to play college basketball. My only problem is with those who try to paint the Hausers as selfless martyrs driven to transfer because Mean Ol Coach Wojo wouldn't listen to them.
Again, there's nothing wrong with them making the decision to leave. The only thing that's wrong is thinking it was anything about the Hausers looking out for the Hausers.

This is the only take on the situation that makes sense. Well done, Pak.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2020, 03:29:47 PM »
You're deluding yourself here. As noted already, the Hausers didn't leave because they wanted more opportunities for Ed Morrow and Theo John. The Hausers left because they wanted what they believed would be better for themselves. The timing of their decision makes this evident. It was 100 percent about Markus and no one else.
Why this is some controversy confuses me. I'll never bash a kid who wants to maximize his limited chance to play college basketball. My only problem is with those who try to paint the Hausers as selfless martyrs driven to transfer because Mean Ol Coach Wojo wouldn't listen to them.
Again, there's nothing wrong with them making the decision to leave. The only thing that's wrong is thinking it was anything about the Hausers looking out for the Hausers.

The Hausers left to play in better programs led by better coaches. They were the only two of Markus’s teammates who had that opportunity. Where were Theo or Ed going? Sacar? Bailey? Cain? Elliot? Answer: nowhere, though Ed eventually quit and Bailey left early to go “pro” (LOL).

Bottom line: nobody likes standing around watching someone dominate the ball. Markus (whether by Wojo’s design or his inability to control his best player) dominated it like no other Power 6 player in the history of the statistic. IMHO, that’s neither the best way to win games or the best way to keep a team together. Back to back seasons in which we collapsed when it counted most support that opinion.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2020, 03:34:16 PM »
The Hausers left to play in better programs led by better coaches. They were the only two of Markus’s teammates who had that opportunity. Where were Theo or Ed going? Sacar? Bailey? Cain? Elliot? Answer: nowhere, though Ed eventually quit and Bailey left early to go “pro” (LOL).

Bottom line: nobody likes standing around watching someone dominate the ball. Markus (whether by Wojo’s design or his inability to control his best player) dominated it like no other Power 6 player in the history of the statistic. IMHO, that’s neither the best way to win games or the best way to keep a team together. Back to back seasons in which we collapsed when it counted most support that opinion.

You don't think Sacar, Cain, etc. could have transferred?

And Bailey went pro even though Markus was done by that point.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I think you are exaggerating the point a bit.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2020, 03:35:56 PM »

Knock it off. Much like Ed quit because Markus is hard to play with, Brendan couldn’t wait to leave because Markus was hard to play with. Forget that Markus wouldn’t have been on the roster, Brendan left early because of the difficulty of playing with him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2020, 03:58:23 PM »

Anyone can transfer, especially if you’re willing to transfer “down”. But who wants to transfer to a mid major when 60+ minutes of playing time just opened up at the high major where you presently play?

Re Bailey, you have a point, but to me he looked pretty dispirited by season’s end.

You’re also right about me exaggerating a bit, but I find it frustrating that so many here can’t see the obvious through their blue and gold tinted glasses.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2020, 04:39:13 PM »
You’re also right about me exaggerating a bit, but I find it frustrating that so many here can’t see the obvious through their blue and gold tinted glasses.

The obvious is that Sam and Joey left because Sam and Joey decided it would be in Sam's and Joey's best interests to leave. That's it.
The only people missing the obvious are those so eager to ascribe altruistic or any other motivations for their decisions.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2020, 05:03:05 PM »
The obvious is that Sam and Joey left because Sam and Joey decided it would be in Sam's and Joey's best interests to leave. That's it.
The only people missing the obvious are those so eager to ascribe altruistic or any other motivations for their decisions.

Lol no kidding. Absolutely hysterical people actually believe they left because they were “selfless” and wanted “ball movement.”

According to the meat eaters, Mrs. Hauser was desperately hoping Markus would leave for the NBA. Which, of course, wouldn’t have changed the Hauser’s mind if they wanted a different offense, as we’ve seen this offense since Wojo has been here (Carlino, Hank, Rowsey, Howard).

So why did the Hausers desperately want Markus to go pro? So that the Hausers could see their usage skyrocket.

Err no. So Theo, Ed, and Jamal could shoot more!

Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2020, 08:30:54 PM »

Pak,

You’re right. Sort of and as far as it goes.

Of course Sam and Joey felt it was in their own best interest to leave. Everybody who has ever transferred fits that description.

But did “their best interest” means they left to hunt more shots? At MSU and UVA? Don’t think so. Makes no sense. Does “their best interest” mean being better coached? Wojo vs Bennett or Izzo? Yep. Does “their own best
interest” mean winning more? Sure. Better coaches win more and that’s fun. Does “their own best interest” mean playing in a team concept that they prefer? Yes. Does “their own best interest” mean being better prepared for the next level, whatever that may be? Of course. Izzo/Bennett vs Wojo. No contest, really.

You’re a smart guy. I don’t for a second believe that you don’t understand that having the highest usage % player in  power 6 conference history can negatively impact chemistry in a team game. On top of that, as the season wears on it isn’t an effective strategy to win games. Back to back collapses by our Warriors illustrate that point.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2020, 08:43:19 PM »
Pak,

Of course Sam and Joey felt it was in their own best interest to leave. Everybody who has ever transferred fits that description.

But did “their best interest” means they left to hunt more shots? At MSU and UVA? Don’t think so. Makes no sense. Does “their best interest” mean being better coached? Wojo vs Bennett or Izzo? Yep. Does “their own best
interest” mean winning more? Sure. Better coaches win more and that’s fun. Does “their own best interest” mean playing in a team concept that they prefer? Yes. Does “their own best interest” mean being better prepared for the next level, whatever that may be? Of course. Izzo/Bennett vs Wojo. No contest, really.

You’re a smart guy. I don’t for a second believe that you don’t understand that having the highest usage % player in  power 6 conference history can negatively impact chemistry in a team game. On top of that, as the season wears on it isn’t an effective strategy to win games. Back to back collapses by our Warriors illustrate that point.

Markus didn’t have the highest usage % in power 6 conference history when the Hausers wanted to get Ed, Theo, Jamal, and others more shots. (I literally can’t say that with a straight face.)

But he did when Bailey decided to go pro because of Markus. Because Markus graduated and wouldn’t have been able to come back. But hey. Markus is hard to play with so Brendan wanted out. Lol.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2020, 09:04:46 PM »

So why did the Hausers desperately want Markus to go pro? So that the Hausers could see their usage skyrocket.

Dingdingding

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2020, 09:42:23 PM »
Pak,

Lenny,

If it were all about playing for a better coach/team/system, then why wait more than three weeks after the loss to Murray State to announce their intentions? Why attend the team banquet? Why not tell the coaching staff in postseason discussions Why wait until after Markus made his decision?
Was Izzo's coaching relative to Wojo any different on April 8 than April 15? Was Virginia's success relative to Marquette's any different on the day of the banquet than the day of their announcement?
Obviously not.
The only factor that was different from the end of the season to their announcement was that they knew for certain that Markus was returning.
You can rationalize their decision any way you choose, but the timing is a big, flashing neon sign that spells out their motives.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2020, 06:30:22 AM »
Everytime I see this picture in an attack on Joey I lose braincells.

It was very clearly 100% on Bailey...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8xzYNhvpxk&ab_channel=GPII

True on Bailey.

Not to be CaptObvious, but please pause the clip at about 7.5 seconds.

At the apex of their (simultaneous) respective jumps, Ja’s feet are above Joey’s knees.
I think that’s all people are sayin’.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2020, 06:56:24 AM »

Not to be CaptObvious, but please pause the clip at about 7.5 seconds.

At the apex of their (simultaneous) respective jumps, Ja’s feet are above Joey’s knees.
I think that’s all people are sayin’.

And if that’s what people are saying, that is a really stupid point because Morant had a running start and gathered momentum for his jump 20 feet out while Joey had time to take all of 2 or 3 steps not even close to ramping up to full momentum and speed because of angle he was coming from to help.

But Joey did have the audacity to bail on MU for what he felt was a better opportunity, so yeah, he’s a giant stiff.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2020, 07:05:45 AM »
And if that’s what people are saying, that is a really stupid point because Morant had a running start and gathered momentum for his jump 20 feet out while Joey had time to take all of 2 or 3 steps not even close to ramping up to full momentum and speed because of angle he was coming from to help.

But Joey did have the audacity to bail on MU for what he felt was a better opportunity, so yeah, he’s a giant stiff.

He’s not a stiff but I think questions about his ability to defend in the Association are quite legit and valid
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2020, 07:11:33 AM »
He’s not a stiff but I think questions about his ability to defend in the Association are quite legit and valid

Yeah, maybe they are.  But holding up Morant’s dunk on him is a really poor example to use to make that point (which I know did not come from you).

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2020, 07:51:38 AM »
Yeah, maybe they are.  But holding up Morant’s dunk on him is a really poor example to use to make that point (which I know did not come from you).

No but its f*cking hilarious.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2020, 07:58:39 AM »
Lenny,

If it were all about playing for a better coach/team/system, then why wait more than three weeks after the loss to Murray State to announce their intentions? Why attend the team banquet? Why not tell the coaching staff in postseason discussions Why wait until after Markus made his decision?
Was Izzo's coaching relative to Wojo any different on April 8 than April 15? Was Virginia's success relative to Marquette's any different on the day of the banquet than the day of their announcement?
Obviously not.
The only factor that was different from the end of the season to their announcement was that they knew for certain that Markus was returning.
You can rationalize their decision any way you choose, but the timing is a big, flashing neon sign that spells out their motives.
I know if I was a scorer, I wouldn't want to play with a team where Markus was the PG, either.  Honestly, why would you?  I think that is the most worrying thing about Wojo, to me.  In the recruiting thread, it seems like when we are talking to top recruits that consider Marquette they consider us because they think they will get the Markus "dominate the ball" treatment.  That is not a recipe for winning or for a happy team or balanced recruiting.  Like, Lenny I'm an older fellow and perhaps I don't understand what teenagers are thinking these days, and I fully acknowledge that.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2020, 08:13:47 AM »

Do you think the longer runway you have the higher you can jump?  3 steps is all you need.  It's very clear which one is an NBA athlete and which one took his ball, went home, and then cried that he had to follow the rules and sit out a year before playing.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2020, 08:15:36 AM »
I know if I was a scorer, I wouldn't want to play with a team where Markus was the PG, either.  Honestly, why would you?  I think that is the most worrying thing about Wojo, to me.  In the recruiting thread, it seems like when we are talking to top recruits that consider Marquette they consider us because they think they will get the Markus "dominate the ball" treatment.  That is not a recipe for winning or for a happy team or balanced recruiting.  Like, Lenny I'm an older fellow and perhaps I don't understand what teenagers are thinking these days, and I fully acknowledge that.

Sam Hauser was a top 20 BE player in FGA, 3PGA (top 10), FG, 3FG, points and points per game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2020, 08:16:01 AM »

You aren't going to keep a roster together.  If you have that as a goal as a fan, prepare to be disappointed.

Purdue had no issue winning basketball games with a ball dominant scorer.  They were one of the most miraculous plays away from a Final Four/taking out the team that eventually won the national championship.

There is more than 1 way to win a basketball game.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2020, 08:34:52 AM »

That's fine, they don't have to.  But that is what they signed up for.  Joey KNEW when he came to Marquette that Markus was the team.  And there are a lot of people around here that seem to be ignoring the fact that Markus is one of the best shooters in NCAA history, and a FIRST TEAM ALL AMERICAN.  Markus deserved to see that ball in his hands every trip down the court.  What about Joey Hauser's game demonstrated that he should be an equal option? 

Markus is a once in a generation talent for our school, and I think a lot of folks around here don't give the man the respect he deserves.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2020, 08:42:11 AM »
That's fine, they don't have to.  But that is what they signed up for.  Joey KNEW when he came to Marquette that Markus was the team.  And there are a lot of people around here that seem to be ignoring the fact that Markus is one of the best shooters in NCAA history, and a FIRST TEAM ALL AMERICAN.  Markus deserved to see that ball in his hands every trip down the court.  What about Joey Hauser's game demonstrated that he should be an equal option? 

Markus is a once in a generation talent for our school, and I think a lot of folks around here don't give the man the respect he deserves.

To be fair, the two years of Markus Joey had seen saw a team that excelled at sharing the ball with something like 6 double digit scorers. And a year where Rowsey managed 20ppg as did Markus while Sam managed 14ppg.

Possible Joey might've expected Sam to up his PPG with Rowsey not there and himself slide into Sam's sophomore role. Rather than Markus taking a ton of Rowsey's shots and usage. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2020, 08:44:42 AM »
Sam and Joey both have some injury concerns.  Sam's hip has really limited his agility the last 2 years.  Rewatch his freshman year and it's night and day.

Joey also looked less explosive in college than high school.  Let's see if the ankle is healed and what kind of explosiveness he has this year.

Joey also has to have a better attitude if he's going to make it in the NBA.  If he had problems playing with Markus, how's he going to deal with the Kobe's and MJ's of the world?  It's almost comical to think about.