collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Update on Sam Hauser  (Read 11804 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Update on Sam Hauser
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2020, 08:54:15 AM »
To be fair, the two years of Markus Joey had seen saw a team that excelled at sharing the ball with something like 6 double digit scorers. And a year where Rowsey managed 20ppg as did Markus while Sam managed 14ppg.

Possible Joey might've expected Sam to up his PPG with Rowsey not there and himself slide into Sam's sophomore role. Rather than Markus taking a ton of Rowsey's shots and usage.

That's a good argument.  But it isn't as if Sam and Joey weren't scoring when they played with Markus.  There was plenty of ball to go around.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2020, 09:18:59 AM »
I honestly think the problem was Joey just not being happy.  I think if Joey would have gone to MSU to start with, Sam would have finished out his career at Marquette.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2020, 09:22:54 AM »
I honestly think the problem was Joey just not being happy.  I think if Joey would have gone to MSU to start with, Sam would have finished out his career at Marquette.

Some truth to this. I think Sam saw his frustrations as being validated by Joey.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2020, 09:42:10 AM »
That's fine, they don't have to.  But that is what they signed up for.  Joey KNEW when he came to Marquette that Markus was the team.  And there are a lot of people around here that seem to be ignoring the fact that Markus is one of the best shooters in NCAA history, and a FIRST TEAM ALL AMERICAN.  Markus deserved to see that ball in his hands every trip down the court.  What about Joey Hauser's game demonstrated that he should be an equal option? 

Markus is a once in a generation talent for our school, and I think a lot of folks around here don't give the man the respect he deserves.

I agree with most of this - particularly that Joey knew what he was walking into. But I also think that Markus's undeniable talent, combined with how he was used, was probably a hair better at filling the stat sheet than winning games.  And I am a bit sympathetic to how frustrating that would be to players like the Hausers.  It really sucks how their leaving undercut a team that was going to come into the season ranked in the top 10 and maybe the top 5. There is no denying Markus's talent. But I also find it hard to deny that everything about MU during his tenure was geared toward extracting every possible drop from that talent, possibly at the expense of the talent development and showcase of other players.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2020, 09:51:45 AM »
We played a system for the last two years where one player's usage was historically high.  The team's success wasn't historically high.  Other good players didn't want to play in that system. 

It's really not that shocking - particularly in today's college game.  It's just another item that has left the last few years as less than fulfilling on the court.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2020, 12:08:12 PM »
We played a system for the last two years where one player's usage was historically high.  The team's success wasn't historically high.  Other good players didn't want to play in that system. 

It's really not that shocking - particularly in today's college game.  It's just another item that has left the last few years as less than fulfilling on the court.

I agree. I think there was a style of play that could have kept them happy. The ball movement in Sam’s first two years was a thing of beauty at times. With Markus’ scoring and efficiency, Wojo hitched the wagon to Markus.

I think it’s as simple as they didn’t want to spend the rest of their careers in that type of system. There may be an argument to be made that Wojo bet on the right horse based on Markus’ efficiency. Especially because I think Joey was a bit shaky his freshman year other than some good 3 pt shooting at times.

I think the final straw was when Markus’ efficiency dropped with injury, the style of play didn’t change with it. So next year was likely more the same.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2020, 12:57:23 PM »
I agree. I think there was a style of play that could have kept them happy. The ball movement in Sam’s first two years was a thing of beauty at times. With Markus’ scoring and efficiency, Wojo hitched the wagon to Markus.

I think it’s as simple as they didn’t want to spend the rest of their careers in that type of system. There may be an argument to be made that Wojo bet on the right horse based on Markus’ efficiency. Especially because I think Joey was a bit shaky his freshman year other than some good 3 pt shooting at times.

I think the final straw was when Markus’ efficiency dropped with injury, the style of play didn’t change with it. So next year was likely more the same.

It was a stupid decision regardless.  Made rashly.  Sam played with Markus for 3 years.  Markus also drew a ton of defensive looks that made Sam not a defensive priority.  Joey would have had to deal with one more year of the 'Markus show'... And then the team would have essentially been his.  Instead, he transferred to MSU and sat out a year.  So yeah, now he is at MSU where he also probably won't be the main attraction.  And Sam got a year older and hurt his draft chances (if he had any to begin with). 

So what was the point of all this?  Egos baby, gotta feed em.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2020, 02:07:26 PM »
It was a stupid decision regardless.  Made rashly.  Sam played with Markus for 3 years.  Markus also drew a ton of defensive looks that made Sam not a defensive priority.  Joey would have had to deal with one more year of the 'Markus show'... And then the team would have essentially been his.  Instead, he transferred to MSU and sat out a year.  So yeah, now he is at MSU where he also probably won't be the main attraction.  And Sam got a year older and hurt his draft chances (if he had any to begin with). 

So what was the point of all this?  Egos baby, gotta feed em.

Bookmark this post.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2020, 04:48:19 PM »
So when this season is cancelled, do The  Brothers Hauser give their new schools a third year to play one? Otule would be proud. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2020, 06:04:13 PM »
So when this season is cancelled, do The  Brothers Hauser give their new schools a third year to play one? Otule would be proud.

Sam would fit in on the BYU roster by then.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2020, 10:13:39 PM »
Sam could free transfer back to Marquette. No cancer Markus to NEVER pass him the ball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2020, 12:31:16 AM »
Sam could free transfer back to Marquette. No cancer Markus to NEVER pass him the ball.

Hopefully by then, Wojo recruits guys committed to play team defense.

feedback