[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Update on Sam Hauser  (Read 11806 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Update on Sam Hauser
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2020, 11:10:50 PM »

So, the Henry Ellenson test.    Are either Sam or Joey more skilled offensively than Henry?   

Except when he could overpower people (which he could do in college but not in the NBA) Henry was a lousy, inefficient offensive player. Couldn’t shoot. Joey and Sam are light years better at what’s now essential in the NBA - shooting and shooting from distance.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2020, 11:22:04 PM »
Yeah, I mean I am sure Izzo is going to get more out of him than what we saw his freshman year, but I didn't see an overabundance of athleticism from Joey. 

Al would have had Joey's backside over this one.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2020, 06:36:01 AM »
MSU has the occasional one and done but we’re not talking UK or Duke here. The last I can remember is Jaren Jackson, Jr. But Valentine  and Winston were BT POY and four year guys.

They are bringing in Max Christie and Emoni Bates, though it’s possible both go pro.  I should have clarified they were bringing in one and dones
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2020, 06:38:54 AM »
Damn you and your logic/common sense. People here prefer their sour grapes.

Selfless players that didn’t want to play with Markus or Tyler Herro.  I guess that’s selfless
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2020, 06:54:04 AM »
Is it sour grapes to point out that Joey was an objectively poor defender or that Sam will be attempting to be a 23 year old rookie, or are those just facts? 

Again, value in the NBA is based on who you can defend. That's why you see guys like Luguentz Dort and his 29% career three point shooting finding a solid role on a decent team. Henry, Joey, Sam and Markus are all too poor defenders to make it in the NBA.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2020, 06:55:55 AM »
Is it sour grapes to point out that Joey was an objectively poor defender or that Sam will be attempting to be a 23 year old rookie, or are those just facts? 

Again, value in the NBA is based on who you can defend. That's why you see guys like Luguentz Dort and his 29% career three point shooting finding a solid role on a decent team. Henry, Joey, Sam and Markus are all too poor defenders to make it in the NBA.

You're absolutely correct.  People claiming that the NBA is for shooters don't actually follow the NBA.  The NBA is for athletes that CAN SHOOT.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2020, 07:02:59 AM »
Selfless players that didn’t want to play with Markus or Tyler Herro.  I guess that’s selfless

Selfless players who, if you believe the meat eaters, wrote a letter to formally object to their roles and attempted to rope the rest of team into it.
I don't wish anything bad for the Hausers, but the determined efforts of some here to portray them as something other than a couple of kids looking out for their own best interests (which is perfectly OK, by the way) is very misguided.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2020, 07:23:42 AM »
I don’t have a strong opinion if Joey or Sam will make the NBA. My gut says they will, and it will be more than a cup of coffee for both.  But concerns who they can defend at that level are legit.

I am going to root very hard for them and not be a bitter jackass like many of our fans though.  I enjoyed watching them both very much at MU.  Some of the commentary here since their departure is consistent with the maturity of Badger fans over an 18 year old showing the audacity in deciding to play at another school. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2020, 07:45:13 AM »
You're absolutely correct.  People claiming that the NBA is for shooters don't actually follow the NBA.  The NBA is for athletes that CAN SHOOT.

I'd say a guy like Joe Harris, an NBA starter despite testing below average across the board in athletic drills at the draft combine, proves otherwise.
If you can be an elite shooter in the NBA, you can get by with limited athleticism. The league has plenty of guys who fit that bill. I just question whether Sam has even the limited athleticism, relative to NBA players, to earn a consistent role in the league. Joey is bigger and more athletic, which would seem to give him a better chance.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2020, 08:34:23 AM »
I'd say a guy like Joe Harris, an NBA starter despite testing below average across the board in athletic drills at the draft combine, proves otherwise.
If you can be an elite shooter in the NBA, you can get by with limited athleticism. The league has plenty of guys who fit that bill. I just question whether Sam has even the limited athleticism, relative to NBA players, to earn a consistent role in the league. Joey is bigger and more athletic, which would seem to give him a better chance.

Joey is certainly bigger, but he isn't NBA big.  Who does Joey guard in the NBA?  What position does he play?  He might be more athletic than Sam, but he isn't fast enough to beat guys off the dribble in the NBA.  He won't be creating his own shot... and if he is a 6'9" spot shooter (he isn't) who can't guard anyone... aren't there a hundred guys like that already in the league?

Hey, I'll probably be proven wrong and have to eat crow... but I just don't see it.  He strikes me as a guy that is like Henry... Successful in HS, Very good in college, and not viable in the NBA.  I hope he rides the wave of hype to the NBA (for his sake), but I think he's just a very good college player... like his brother.

If we're saying he has a better chance than Sam, I can get on board.  But the chance is still very slim.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2020, 08:37:15 AM »
Joey is certainly bigger, but he isn't NBA big.  Who does Joey guard in the NBA?  What position does he play?  He might be more athletic than Sam, but he isn't fast enough to beat guys off the dribble in the NBA.  He won't be creating his own shot... and if he is a 6'9" spot shooter (he isn't) who can't guard anyone... aren't there a hundred guys like that already in the league?

Hey, I'll probably be proven wrong and have to eat crow... but I just don't see it.  He strikes me as a guy that is like Henry... Successful in HS, Very good in college, and not viable in the NBA.  I hope he rides the wave of hype to the NBA (for his sake), but I think he's just a very good college player... like his brother.

If we're saying he has a better chance than Sam, I can get on board.  But the chance is still very slim.

Out of curiousity how can you say someone 6-9 (I thought he was 6-10?) isn't NBA big? I mean are you saying he's lanky? we haven't seen him in a year but I do know kids in college tend to bulk up as time goes on.

He won't stick in the NBA but he'll get a look, play some spot minutes for a bit, get wrapped up in a crappy trade and get waived.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2020, 08:49:25 AM »
Out of curiousity how can you say someone 6-9 (I thought he was 6-10?) isn't NBA big? I mean are you saying he's lanky? we haven't seen him in a year but I do know kids in college tend to bulk up as time goes on.

He won't stick in the NBA but he'll get a look, play some spot minutes for a bit, get wrapped up in a crappy trade and get waived.

Because 6'9 220 isn't a big in the NBA.  Everyone that is that height is carrying more weight, and they're faster.  Also, yes, Joey is younger and can add weight... but will he get quicker when he does that?  Doubtful.

You still may be right, but when does he jump to the draft?  He better do it this year, otherwise the hype will have worn off, and he will be another year older.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2020, 09:02:02 AM »
Selfless players who, if you believe the meat eaters, wrote a letter to formally object to their roles and attempted to rope the rest of team into it.
I don't wish anything bad for the Hausers, but the determined efforts of some here to portray them as something other than a couple of kids looking out for their own best interests (which is perfectly OK, by the way) is very misguided.

They want the ball to move.  Did you ever watch SPASH play?  You couldn't tell who was Top 100 (Sam) who was the potential McD's AA (Joey) or who was the UWGB kid.  It was 5 dudes moving the ball.  That's it.  Markus is not an easy guy to play with.  He changes the way a game is played and it was fundamentally different than what they were used to.  I'm sure Wojo said over and over it would change (because he knew it wasn't sustainable) and yet it never changed.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2020, 09:04:37 AM »
They want the ball to move.  Did you ever watch SPASH play?  You couldn't tell who was Top 100 (Sam) who was the potential McD's AA (Joey) or who was the UWGB kid.

I saw them play plenty and it was plainly obvious who the three D1 players were on that team.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2020, 09:05:28 AM »
They want the ball to move.  Did you ever watch SPASH play?  You couldn't tell who was Top 100 (Sam) who was the potential McD's AA (Joey) or who was the UWGB kid.  It was 5 dudes moving the ball.  That's it.  Markus is not an easy guy to play with.  He changes the way a game is played and it was fundamentally different than what they were used to.  I'm sure Wojo said over and over it would change (because he knew it wasn't sustainable) and yet it never changed.

Ah yes.  The whole, "We don't want more shots, we just want everyone to shoot!  We want to get Ed Morrow more shots, that's why we're leaving if Markus stays!" is back.  Awesome.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2020, 09:19:26 AM »

So, they want to coach the team?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2020, 09:20:28 AM »
I don’t have a strong opinion if Joey or Sam will make the NBA. My gut says they will, and it will be more than a cup of coffee for both.  But concerns who they can defend at that level are legit.

I am going to root very hard for them and not be a bitter jackass like many of our fans though.  I enjoyed watching them both very much at MU.  Some of the commentary here since their departure is consistent with the maturity of Badger fans over an 18 year old showing the audacity in deciding to play at another school.

I don’t have a problem with them transferring and I’ll root for any kids that spurn Madison twice.  However, I’m not rooting for them to spite Wojo or Marquette like some will be

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2020, 09:31:17 AM »
Yawn, same tired old arguments. They left because Howard was an exciting chucker, but that same chucker cost MU a lot of games.

You live by the chucker and you die by the chucker. Not many teams have won big with that philosophy.

Seton hall in the BET would be my thesis for that argument. Also the game the hausers bounced on the program.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2020, 09:36:23 AM »
Yawn, same tired old arguments. They left because Howard was an exciting chucker, but that same chucker cost MU a lot of games.

You live by the chucker and you die by the chucker. Not many teams have won big with that philosophy.

Seton hall in the BET would be my thesis for that argument. Also the game the hausers bounced on the program.

I knew today would be the day of 1000 hot takes, but I didn't expect this to be one of them.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2020, 10:03:22 AM »
Because 6'9 220 isn't a big in the NBA.  Everyone that is that height is carrying more weight, and they're faster.  Also, yes, Joey is younger and can add weight... but will he get quicker when he does that?  Doubtful.

You still may be right, but when does he jump to the draft?  He better do it this year, otherwise the hype will have worn off, and he will be another year older.

Not too different than what Porter Jr was listed if I recall? Probably won't get faster but would expect his lateral movement to get better. As far as jump to the draft, I don't know. If he's a senior and leads MSU to another final four some  team will get him in the second round.

For me for the second round the GM just has a list like this
Height? Check
Ball handling for height? Check
Outside shot? Check
Post moves? Check
On ball Defense? TBD
Off ball Defense? TBD

It's not like the the lottery where players are drafted almost entirely on potential so yeah unless he's a turn style I think he'll get picked up.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2020, 10:26:00 AM »

You're deluding yourself here. As noted already, the Hausers didn't leave because they wanted more opportunities for Ed Morrow and Theo John. The Hausers left because they wanted what they believed would be better for themselves. The timing of their decision makes this evident. It was 100 percent about Markus and no one else.
Why this is some controversy confuses me. I'll never bash a kid who wants to maximize his limited chance to play college basketball. My only problem is with those who try to paint the Hausers as selfless martyrs driven to transfer because Mean Ol Coach Wojo wouldn't listen to them.
Again, there's nothing wrong with them making the decision to leave. The only thing that's wrong is thinking it was anything about the Hausers looking out for the Hausers.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2020, 10:26:07 AM »
I knew today would be the day of 1000 hot takes, but I didn't expect this to be one of them.

Sure, in the 4 years that Howard was here, what did Marquette acomplish? With the all team leading scorer. Tell me bud.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2020, 10:36:03 AM »

Well, I mean, there are a lot of guys like in that in the league because that's the kind of player the league wants.
Who does he guard? The guys like him. Stretch fours. And, IMO, Joey is probably a little more athletic than he gets credit for here. He was a terrible defender, but I'm not sure that's a result of athleticism so much as skill (and will).
No one is suggesting that Joey becomes a 30 mpg guy in the league. But I do think he could earn his way on to the back end of a roster.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 10:44:07 AM by Pakuni »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2020, 10:37:57 AM »
Sure, in the 4 years that Howard was here, what did Marquette acomplish? With the all team leading scorer. Tell me bud.

What likely would have been three NCAA tournament appearances and some fun times.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2020, 11:23:15 AM »

You're changing what you said.  You called Howard a chucker.  You called, literally, the best shooter in college basketball a chucker.

Look up his eFG%, look up his value add.  If you want to place blame about the Hausers leaving, then it rests on their shoulders.  Marcus was always going to shoot.  Sam knew it, and it pulled heat off him so he could shoot too.  If Joe thought there were going to be three balls on the court so each of them could shoot then that is on him.  In addition to being one of the all time greats at Marquette, Marcus is a fantastic ambassador and an exemplary student athlete.  I'll take Marcus over Joey Hauser every day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

Does the blame lay with Wojo for not surrounding Howard with more talent?  Yup.  But the Hauser's were out for themselves.   And as Pakuni said, that's fine and I don't blame them.

feedback